AARP Gift Cards

Fla Senior

It amazes me that Carnival AARP gift cards disappear as quickly as they appear, but RCCL AARP gift cards sit there forever (both the $500 & $100). I know Carnival has a lot more customers (and ships), but it seems that they're not claimed at all. Weird.

It because they don't work the same way. If you read the terms for the RCCL they are certificates and have many more restrictions for use. Whereas the Carnival cards can be used like cash for pretty much anything from your booking, OBC, excursions, etc. Big Difference!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Just bought $1000 worth so I could spend $900 instead on the price of our deposit. Worked flawlessly. I cancelled our existing reservation and rebooked using the two $500 gift cards. I'll go online tomorrow and in the days to come to do quizzes I need to in order to earn the points I need to so I can buy additional points. If this works out the way it should, I could save $500 plus on our 8 day Vista cruise and Cheers package! That would pay for our 3 dogs boarding during our vacation! Good stuff.

Yep and I meant EARN additional points. The emailed ones were available when I did it. For those who can't find the cards, they are not on the regular AARP site. I made that mistake initially. Google "Reward the Good" and sign up for that program. You will have to take quizzes to earn the points to buy the cards at a discount. I am an AARP member btw and just over 40. The less than $20 it costs per year more than pays for itself in hotel discounts and saved me many hundreds several times on two NCL cruises when they offered an AARP discount.

Yep and I meant EARN additional points. The emailed ones were available when I did it. For those who can't find the cards, they are not on the regular AARP site. I made that mistake initially. Google "Reward the Good" and sign up for that program. You will have to take quizzes to earn the points to buy the cards at a discount. I am an AARP member btw and just over 40. The less than $20 it costs per year more than pays for itself in hotel discounts and saved me many hundreds several times on two NCL cruises when they offered an AARP discount.

Thank you for pointing out that AARP also offers discount on NCL. Do you know how often? Thanks!

Thank you for pointing out that AARP also offers discount on NCL. Do you know how often? Thanks!

I can't remember to tell you the truth. I know I got it both times in the past two years. I am fairly certain I booked with the two freebies they give you (picking drink and specialty dining packages) and then called to see if they also had an AARP discount. So I would suggest calling one of their agents through their 800 number to see if they have any discount they could apply after you book. I don't see the option in the rate section when booking to choose an AARP rate currently.

This has got me almost as excited as the US Bank Flexperks program. To me, that is the best airline rewards program I've found period. You get a point for every dollar you spend, double points for where you spend the most (i.e. grocery purchases), and you can redeem points for any airline with no blackout dates for far fewer points than through say the airlines programs.

Any time I've checked the AARP site for Carnival gift cards this year, the $100 card has been available, while the $500 card may or may not be.

I started sailing NCL maybe 3 years ago, and I had usually seen the AARP discount available until recently. May have to ask a TA for it? Seems NCL is now showing more of its promotional fares that include wifi, shore excursion credit, drinks or dining packages than the AARP discount.

Does anyone know what happens to the excess on the card?

If I owe 1,300 on my cruise & have $1,500 in gift cards. What happens with the extra $200? Does it remain on the card & I have to bring it with me & have it applied towards my account on the cruise?

Is it automatically posted to my account when I pay final balance online?

Thanks

Does anyone know what happens to the excess on the card?

If I owe 1,300 on my cruise & have $1,500 in gift cards. What happens with the extra $200? Does it remain on the card & I have to bring it with me & have it applied towards my account on the cruise?

Is it automatically posted to my account when I pay final balance online?

Thanks

It stays on your card and you take it with you to apply it to your onboard account.

Just want to point out that you do not have to be an AARP member to accrued points and purchase the cards, although you do get more points per quiz if you are a member. You only have to establish a log-in identity on the AARP site.

Can you also print out take the ecards on board to use for your on board expense account or does it have to be the plastic card for them to swipe?

You can print out a list of all of your eCard numbers + pin. They are no different than the physical cards.

It amazes me that Carnival AARP gift cards disappear as quickly as they appear, but RCCL AARP gift cards sit there forever (both the $500 & $100). I know Carnival has a lot more customers (and ships), but it seems that they're not claimed at all. Weird.

As I mentioned in another thread, unfortunately way too many people know about it now. They take the quizes for points and the e-gift cards sell out within a day or two. The worse part about it is that anybody can take the quizes even if your a non-paying member.

As I mentioned in another thread, unfortunately way too many people know about it now. They take the quizes for points and the e-gift cards sell out within a day or two. The worse part about it is that anybody can take the quizes even if your a non-paying member.

I think being able to participate without being a member is one of the really great things about the Rewards for Good program.