Breakaway calling

Chrisp2017

hi all now that my cruise is 5 days away I'm really trying to nail down my calling options . Each time I call ncl the associate has different Info : one person told me I can get the internet package and use Skype the person I spoke to today said that's not true it's mainly for email. I called my cell phone provider and they are 1.99 a minute. I also heard icosierge charges .75 cents a minute today I was told 4.99$ can anyone who just got off the ship or previous sailings confirm any of these facts ? Thanks all

hi all now that my cruise is 5 days away I'm really trying to nail down my calling options . Each time I call ncl the associate has different Info : one person told me I can get the internet package and use Skype the person I spoke to today said that's not true it's mainly for email. I called my cell phone provider and they are 1.99 a minute. I also heard icosierge charges .75 cents a minute today I was told 4.99$ can anyone who just got off the ship or previous sailings confirm any of these facts ? Thanks all

I can help with the iconcierge App. While the App is free, it costs $9.99 for the week to have the ability to message and call others on the ship (who also purchase access for their device). It also gives you the ability to call home for .75 a minute. You have to make the phone call through the app. This is all done while the phone is in airplane mode. You can also receive phone calls from home for .75. The instructions are in the help section on the app. There is a phone number they call and from there they choose the ship and from there they enter your app phone number (you get this when you pay the fee). Before answering the call it will let you know it is .75 a minute. Let me know if I can explain anything else.

I can help with the iconcierge App. While the App is free, it costs $9.99 for the week to have the ability to message and call others on the ship (who also purchase access for their device). It also gives you the ability to call home for .75 a minute. You have to make the phone call through the app. This is all done while the phone is in airplane mode. You can also receive phone calls from home for .75. The instructions are in the help section on the app. There is a phone number they call and from there they choose the ship and from there they enter your app phone number (you get this when you pay the fee). Before answering the call it will let you know it is .75 a minute. Let me know if I can explain anything else.

ok so let me make sure i got this straight if i just want to call home the app is free but its 75 cents a minute . i can also be called while on the ship at 75 cents a minute? im assuming they give us a fake or temporary number? I heard that before but each time i call NCL i hear something different this last time i called he said i can use the app at 4.99 a minute..

Thanks for taking the time to explain

ok so let me make sure i got this straight if i just want to call home the app is free but its 75 cents a minute . i can also be called while on the ship at 75 cents a minute? im assuming they give us a fake or temporary number? I heard that before but each time i call NCL i hear something different this last time i called he said i can use the app at 4.99 a minute..

Thanks for taking the time to explain

I paid $9.99 to have use of the app. So, I don't know if you can call home and receive calls for .75 without the $9.99 purchase. You will have to ask someone on the ship. Yes, you receive a phone number on the app. The instructions for receiving call is in the help section within the app. My daughter called us ---- she had to dial an 800 number, from there she had to choose the ship we were on, from there she entered the "fake phone number" provided on your app. Just looking through my text message to my daughter -- the number she called was 877-308-5605.

I paid $9.99 to have use of the app. So, I don't know if you can call home and receive calls for .75 without the $9.99 purchase. You will have to ask someone on the ship. Yes, you receive a phone number on the app. The instructions for receiving call is in the help section within the app. My daughter called us ---- she had to dial an 800 number, from there she had to choose the ship we were on, from there she entered the "fake phone number" provided on your app. Just looking through my text message to my daughter -- the number she called was 877-308-5605.

Even with the 9.99 not a bad price now I'm torn between that and the internet paxkage lol

Will the iconcierge App work while docked in Bermuda to make phone calls for .75 a minute to the US, assuming I've paid the $9.99?

I think they shut it off when docked, but I could be wrong. I don't know because when I am in port I use my own cell phone (not connected to iconcierge) as Sprint gives me free unlimited texts and data when traveling internationally and the calls are only .20 a minute. You might want to check with your cell phone carrier and see if they offer any free international plans that you can add on.

I think they shut it off when docked, but I could be wrong. I don't know because when I am in port I use my own cell phone (not connected to iconcierge) as Sprint gives me free unlimited texts and data when traveling internationally and the calls are only .20 a minute. You might want to check with your cell phone carrier and see if they offer any free international plans that you can add on.

Not sure if this link will work, but it gives you all of the information for the app.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_062714.pdf

Here's a quick overview:

Carrier calling at sea (roaming/cellular) - as per your own plan, $1.99 per minute + taxes/fees, etc. billed to your postpaid account (prepaid/MNVO do not get voice services at sea). Be sure to enable international or global calling/roaming on your line/account via the cellular provider (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) as it's not always "on" by default. This is always good as backup / emergency - just remember to turn OFF data/roaming data even when in Airplane Mode with WiFi on. But, with voice call turned on - calls and SMS will come thru (no graphics or pictures send or received, etc.) You can leave this on standby - battery will drain faster, an USB or external battery pack add-on is highly recommended.

Ship (outgoing) calling via stateroom telephone - $4.99 per minute is the latest rate, billed to the Onboard account. Incoming calls from land to ship typically involved a higher per minute rate of $7.99, billed to the calling party's credit card.

iConicerge App - the basic functions of the App (iOS and Android) are free to use, no activation charges - good for viewing one's Onboard stateroom account charges and making last-minute specialty dining reservations, etc.

** To call other registered & activated users, each device is subject to a $9.99 one-time fee, good for the duration of the current sailing - to call and text others ON the ship only. It uses the WiFi inTRAnet with extra settings enabled, no access to the inTERnet for web surfing, reading emails or using other Apps. The system/server automatically assigned an unique 8 digit mobile number for use - not your regular cellular number (those you might call should be alerted or else, they might block your calls)

** Outgoing calls to land/mobile numbers using the iConicerge App, no fees required or needed, use the built-in "dialer" to call at the rate of 79 cents a minute. Quality of this connection is often dicey and questionable. The 75 cents a minute rate would be a newer & lowered rate, and the same rates for incoming call outside the ship's WiFi network would be a new enhancement. Call quality of these VoIP calls using the App has been a problem for some/most users ... we found it to be unusable on the BA last May.

Ship's paid WiFi inTERnet on the BA is among the best within the fleet - it has been offering a MB-data based plan (100 MB, 300MB and 1,000MB or 1GB) as well as the unlimited data plan. It is not clear if the newest 3-tier internet plans with the social media package has been lanuched on the BA yet. Whether you are on the MB-data plan or unlimited plan, you can use the paid WiFi data to check emails, surf the web and/or do VoIP calls using Skype, Hangouts, FaceTime and FaceBook audio (and, video - if not blocked).

You need to be actively signed-in to use the WiFi data and if your device is inactive for a preset time limit, the system will drop off and you are disconnected for timing out. You will miss incoming calls and SMS until you logged back in again.

Last year (2016) we're on the BA docked for 2.5 days in Bermuda, and yes, they kept the ship's WiFi active so that users can access it onboard, including the paid & free features of iConicerge, coverage itself was excellent, bow to stern, 3 non-overlapping channels, both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz signals supported (5 Ghz is recommended for less congestion),

Footnote - costs for the BA, advantage & other considerations are subject to change, as NCL has switched to a new satellite broadband partner while rolling out a newer 3-tier package.

For OP, depending on your specific needs and how much voice calling you plan or need - use or make - carrier's $1.99 per minute might be simple and actually not all that expensive (i.e. up to 30 minutes of quick & short talk) vs. buying a MB-based data package to do VoIP calling, and the unlimited data plan (still 1 active device at a time) for 6 or 7 days would run close to or over $200. The 300 MB data plan priced at $125 actually yielded about 1,000 minutes worth of "logged in" time with the device.

Unlike web browsing or streaming, voice calling runs fine on 3G or even good 2.5G/Edge speed since bandwidth need is quite narrow.

Once in Bermuda, we're on DigiCel, our roaming island partner and had 3G (now, it's 4G/HSPA+) speed - 4 minutes worth of calling & almost 300 MB data used came to a net total of $3 USD.

Here's a quick overview:

Carrier calling at sea (roaming/cellular) - as per your own plan, $1.99 per minute + taxes/fees, etc. billed to your postpaid account (prepaid/MNVO do not get voice services at sea). Be sure to enable international or global calling/roaming on your line/account via the cellular provider (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) as it's not always "on" by default. This is always good as backup / emergency - just remember to turn OFF data/roaming data even when in Airplane Mode with WiFi on. But, with voice call turned on - calls and SMS will come thru (no graphics or pictures send or received, etc.) You can leave this on standby - battery will drain faster, an USB or external battery pack add-on is highly recommended.

Ship (outgoing) calling via stateroom telephone - $4.99 per minute is the latest rate, billed to the Onboard account. Incoming calls from land to ship typically involved a higher per minute rate of $7.99, billed to the calling party's credit card.

iConicerge App - the basic functions of the App (iOS and Android) are free to use, no activation charges - good for viewing one's Onboard stateroom account charges and making last-minute specialty dining reservations, etc.

** To call other registered & activated users, each device is subject to a $9.99 one-time fee, good for the duration of the current sailing - to call and text others ON the ship only. It uses the WiFi inTRAnet with extra settings enabled, no access to the inTERnet for web surfing, reading emails or using other Apps. The system/server automatically assigned an unique 8 digit mobile number for use - not your regular cellular number (those you might call should be alerted or else, they might block your calls)

** Outgoing calls to land/mobile numbers using the iConicerge App, no fees required or needed, use the built-in "dialer" to call at the rate of 79 cents a minute. Quality of this connection is often dicey and questionable. The 75 cents a minute rate would be a newer & lowered rate, and the same rates for incoming call outside the ship's WiFi network would be a new enhancement. Call quality of these VoIP calls using the App has been a problem for some/most users ... we found it to be unusable on the BA last May.

Ship's paid WiFi inTERnet on the BA is among the best within the fleet - it has been offering a MB-data based plan (100 MB, 300MB and 1,000MB or 1GB) as well as the unlimited data plan. It is not clear if the newest 3-tier internet plans with the social media package has been lanuched on the BA yet. Whether you are on the MB-data plan or unlimited plan, you can use the paid WiFi data to check emails, surf the web and/or do VoIP calls using Skype, Hangouts, FaceTime and FaceBook audio (and, video - if not blocked).

You need to be actively signed-in to use the WiFi data and if your device is inactive for a preset time limit, the system will drop off and you are disconnected for timing out. You will miss incoming calls and SMS until you logged back in again.

Last year (2016) we're on the BA docked for 2.5 days in Bermuda, and yes, they kept the ship's WiFi active so that users can access it onboard, including the paid & free features of iConicerge, coverage itself was excellent, bow to stern, 3 non-overlapping channels, both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz signals supported (5 Ghz is recommended for less congestion),

Footnote - costs for the BA, advantage & other considerations are subject to change, as NCL has switched to a new satellite broadband partner while rolling out a newer 3-tier package.

For OP, depending on your specific needs and how much voice calling you plan or need - use or make - carrier's $1.99 per minute might be simple and actually not all that expensive (i.e. up to 30 minutes of quick & short talk) vs. buying a MB-based data package to do VoIP calling, and the unlimited data plan (still 1 active device at a time) for 6 or 7 days would run close to or over $200. The 300 MB data plan priced at $125 actually yielded about 1,000 minutes worth of "logged in" time with the device.

Unlike web browsing or streaming, voice calling runs fine on 3G or even good 2.5G/Edge speed since bandwidth need is quite narrow.

Once in Bermuda, we're on DigiCel, our roaming island partner and had 3G (now, it's 4G/HSPA+) speed - 4 minutes worth of calling & almost 300 MB data used came to a net total of $3 USD.

Good info!! Thanks for that

Good info!! Thanks for that
You are welcomed - enjoy Bermuda, it's one of our favorite destination to cruise.

Dockyard has a paid WiFi, 3 days pass was just $15 with no cap/limits - signal will only reach (usable) up to Deck 8's Outdoors/Waterfront on the side of the pier ... as it has an effective range max of 200 to 300 ft. outdoors under optimal conditions with little to no interference. DigiCel has great cellular coverage high up on Deck 15 and 16.

Did this semi-live update/review last May when we sailed the BA, you should find extra tips & info, useful (I think most of them still valid & good for the 2017 sailing season) Good luck !

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2358922

Be sure to download the free iConcierge App onto your iPhone or Android smartphone before leaving for the pier, signal coverage inside & on the ship is marginal to poor, to unusable - especially on AFT as it's far into the Hudson away from signal towers while docked.