Has anyone used the new upsell bid system to get the 3 bed garden villa?

allison0523

We are booked on the Dawn to Bermuda coming up in June and got the upsell bid email. The starting price for the garden villa is $1750pp and goes up to $5000pp. I was wondering if anyone has successfully used the new bid system to get one of the 3 bedroom garden villas? I am thinking about putting in a bid but right now we have connecting balconies with my parents so idk if it makes sense for us or not. Thanks.

We are booked on the Dawn to Bermuda coming up in June and got the upsell bid email. The starting price for the garden villa is $1750pp and goes up to $5000pp. I was wondering if anyone has successfully used the new bid system to get one of the 3 bedroom garden villas? I am thinking about putting in a bid but right now we have connecting balconies with my parents so idk if it makes sense for us or not. Thanks.

I'd love to know, too. We're on the Dawn for a B2B in January 2018.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to burst any bubbles, but on my last cruise the remaining GV was offered to, and taken by, a person not even booked on the cruise at four weeks out. This was not an official Upgrade Advantage cruise, but during it's implementation fleet wide. I take it as a sign of NCL's innovation in filling the high end suites last minute.

I saw it on the Gem. It was unbelievable. Enjoy every moment!

I had the DOS on the Dawn and the minimum bid was $1000, max was $5000. We bid $1500 and got the GV. That means we got it for well under the asking price. I can't wait to see it!

I had the DOS on the Dawn and the minimum bid was $1000, max was $5000. We bid $1500 and got the GV. That means we got it for well under the asking price. I can't wait to see it!

Awesome! Congrats. How far from sailing did you find out?

Not to burst any bubbles, but on my last cruise the remaining GV was offered to, and taken by, a person not even booked on the cruise at four weeks out. This was not an official Upgrade Advantage cruise, but during it's implementation fleet wide. I take it as a sign of NCL's innovation in filling the high end suites last minute.

Can you give us more information on this? So, these people called to book and they offered them the upgrade then? Maybe they didn't have any offers on it.... or didn't have any they liked.

So, these people called to book and they offered them the upgrade then? Maybe they didn't have any offers on it.... or didn't have any they liked.

No, NCL reached out to them with a cold call and solicited the party to book at four weeks out. It was a high end NCL client who has sailed NCL GV often. I talked to others in the Haven and there were three of us trying to work a deal on the GV. I tried twice earlier than four weeks, but was never even given a chance to make an offer, then at four weeks was told it was booked by someone else. I assume this practice will still go on even with the bidding system.

No, NCL reached out to them with a cold call and solicited the party to book at four weeks out. It was a high end NCL client who has sailed NCL GV often. I talked to others in the Haven and there were three of us trying to work a deal on the GV. I tried twice earlier than four weeks, but was never even given a chance to make an offer, then at four weeks was told it was booked by someone else. I assume this practice will still go on even with the bidding system.

Ah. Gotcha. Well, I don't really blame them for that. We are perfectly happy in the cabins we have right now- 2 connecting balconies. I just thought it would be cool to get the garden villa once. Although I really prefer the setup of the Pearl to the Dawn. I don't like that you can't see out of the railings on the top deck on the Dawn (if that makes sense). I would rather be able to sit on a lounge chair and look out.

Although I really prefer the setup of the Pearl to the Dawn. I don't like that you can't see out of the railings on the top deck on the Dawn (if that makes sense). I would rather be able to sit on a lounge chair and look out.

I'm not sure if you are talking about the ships or the GVs. In my opinion the overall ship design of the Pearl is better than the Dawn, but the GV on the Dawn is unquestionably better than the Pearl.

We stayed in the GV on the Dawn in August of last year. It is beautiful, we were treated like royalty, and in our opinions, it was worth every penny!

I sincerely hope you get it! :cool:

I saw some youtube videos of the refurbished Dawn GV, looks amazing. Are you able to see the water from the courtyard area and while in the hot tub?

NCL always tries to fill all of their suites.

Upgrade Advantage is the automation of the upsell process (which was manual) in response to passengers calling the upsell desk and passengers calling in response to upsell emails to select passengers.

I'm not sure if you are talking about the ships or the GVs. In my opinion the overall ship design of the Pearl is better than the Dawn, but the GV on the Dawn is unquestionably better than the Pearl.

I completely disagree with you that the Dawn GV is anywhere near as nice as the Pearl GV. The Jewel Class GV is far and above a nicer layout with much better flow than the Dawn Class ships IMO.

NCL always tries to fill all of their suites.
And I would add: at the highest possible price. And not just suites.

The Upgrade program is a back-up plan in case they have leftover rooms right before sailing. When they invite people to bid for upgrades, they don't take rooms out of inventory and reserve them to be won by bidding. They remain available for booking, and if they can find a new customer willing to book them outright at full price, too bad for all the bidders hoping to score a deal.

We have connecting rooms with my mother-in-law and daughter on the Breakaway this summer. We both received the bid email but our travel consultant told us the bid is for individual rooms. If all four of us wanted to be in the Haven then we each needed to put in a separate bid but no guarantee that we both would get a room.

I bid the lowest minimum bid of 1500 for GV (S1) and received an email today that it was accepted. We sail on Sunday (in 5 days). We were originally in a family suite, no balcony. I was shocked it was accepted and have been bouncing off the walls all day!

I bid the lowest minimum bid of 1500 for GV (S1) and received an email today that it was accepted. We sail on Sunday (in 5 days). We were originally in a family suite, no balcony. I was shocked it was accepted and have been bouncing off the walls all day!

Oh good story! I bid the same (really can't justify more) and figured I'd be out of luck but you give me a little hope :). I really just want my son to play the piano :). Thanks for sharing and have a great cruise! I hope you write a review with lots of pictures!

Congratulations! How many of you are traveling? We got to tour a GV once and it was fabulous:D

Wow....that's amazing! Enjoy, enjoy! :)

Congrats! How many people do you have in your party? Are you on the Dawn?

There are 2 of us. We are on the Star.

The Star was the first GV we stayed in many years ago so it is still my favorite. The decks are amazing. And the first time we stayed in what is obviously the master suite but on visits since then have always stayed in the room opening out to the deck. Have a wonderful time. And we have stayed in it by ourselves and we have stayed in it with 2 other couples. There is plenty of room either way. If you are traveling alone it's not to late to invite friends if the ship is not maxed out by capacity. We were on a cruise last month and added a new guest 2 days before we left.

I just let my PCC know that I would be willing to switch to the GV for our September Alaska cruise. Right now we are five adults in the 2 bedroom Haven. I know it's a long shot but a girl can dream. :)