Dreaded question every time I plan a cruise

bnorris10

Looking at your signature bnorris, I can see your strategy (and I like it) - two short cruise getaways and a nice longer cruise per year. I think what a lot of people who don't cruise fail to recognize is that the shorter cruise getaways (3-5 nights) are often cheaper than doing a similar length land vacation especially by the time you pay for hotel and figure in the cost of meals, entertainment, etc.

Many other variables though as you know and you can really do it as affordably or extravagant as you want for land as well as sea. You can do a 3-4 nighter off season in an inside for as little as $600 bucks for two or you can do that same cruise in a suite for $2k+.

Anyways, enjoy all those cruises and tell or don't tell who you want. Don't let others comments effect your joy. ;-)

Historically I haven't worked with other travelers. However, for the past three years I've worked with a traveler but she's anti cruise. No she's never been on a cruise before but vehemently states she wouldn't like it. I have some friends who travel but they do basic travels and don't ever plan or research in advance. None of our friends have the same extreme love of travel that we do. You're absolutely correct though. New friends who share our love of travel would be awesome. Until we find them I read cruise critic and enjoy everyone's elation about upcoming travel! [emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your 'anti-cruise' coworker sounds just like my wife's attitude before we married back in 1995. ' Nope, NO way was she even going on or even discussing a cruise'. She had seen how 'those' people acted on (God forbid) that moronic TV sitcom, 'Love Boat' and none of my remarks ( I had taken a 5 day cruise in 1991 on a Carnival ship) and knew it wasn't as bad as that idiotic show. Well, finally in July of 2006, I went behind her back, and made a reservation for 5 day cruise to Nassau/Freeport on the Carnival Holiday out of Mobile for March/2007 ( on our anniversary week) .Truth is, I almost outsmarted myself and forgot to tell her till the end of Dec. 'Oh Honey, I forgot too tell you,we're going on a cruise in 10 weeks'. Wow !! Was she shocked !! But she surprised me, she really didn't raise a big fuss, I wasn't sure if it was the shock or what. :) We flew down to Mobile spent the night before the cruise and boarded the Holiday the next day. We found our cabin, went topside for the sailaway party, and I bet we weren't walking around 10-15 minutes when she happily asked, 'WHEN can we do this again!!' I laughed, and said, 'Well we haven't even left the dock yet, let's see how it goes'. Well, that was 10 years AND fifteen cruises ago, and NOW, since then she happily plans every cruise ! She's a true 'cruise addict'.So, that goes to show, ya never know, till at least TRY one.. Happy Cruising !!

Mac

Your 'anti-cruise' coworker sounds just like my wife's attitude before we married back in 1995. ' Nope, NO way was she even going on or even discussing a cruise'. She had seen how 'those' people acted on (God forbid) that moronic TV sitcom, 'Love Boat' and none of my remarks ( I had taken a 5 day cruise in 1991 on a Carnival ship) and knew it wasn't as bad as that idiotic show. Well, finally in July of 2006, I went behind her back, and made a reservation for 5 day cruise to Nassau/Freeport on the Carnival Holiday out of Mobile for March/2007 ( on our anniversary week) .Truth is, I almost outsmarted myself and forgot to tell her till the end of Dec. 'Oh Honey, I forgot too tell you,we're going on a cruise in 10 weeks'. Wow !! Was she shocked !! But she surprised me, she really didn't raise a big fuss, I wasn't sure if it was the shock or what. :) We flew down to Mobile spent the night before the cruise and boarded the Holiday the next day. We found our cabin, went topside for the sailaway party, and I bet we weren't walking around 10-15 minutes when she happily asked, 'WHEN can we do this again!!' I laughed, and said, 'Well we haven't even left the dock yet, let's see how it goes'. Well, that was 10 years AND fifteen cruises ago, and NOW, since then she happily plans every cruise ! She's a true 'cruise addict'.So, that goes to show, ya never know, till at least TRY one.. Happy Cruising !!

Mac

What an awesome story!! Love it!! My husband and I met on a Carnival cruise back in 2001! Sounds like Carnival is the cruise line that we all start with that turns us all into cruise lovers!

You're right!! You can't know until you at least try! Most of the time trying leads to a love of cruising. Just look at all of us! Lol. Happy cruising to you as well!

What an awesome story!! Love it!! My husband and I met on a Carnival cruise back in 2001! Sounds like Carnival is the cruise line that we all start with that turns us all into cruise lovers!

You're right!! You can't know until you at least try! Most of the time trying leads to a love of cruising. Just look at all of us! Lol. Happy cruising to you as well!

Well, she's always wanted to do an Xmas trip. She was kidding me one night and said it's been on her 'bucket list' cruise ever since we did an Alaskan cruise on the CCL Spirit in 2010. So, one day two weeks ago, I was checking the website, saw a Xmas cruise was available on the Breeze, leaving Dec 22 so when I saw there was a balcony available on the Ledo deck, I called it out while she was sitting in the living room. She came FLYING in here , almost knocked me out of the chair and immediately booked it. :) Hmm..? I guess it takes ONE cruise 'addict' too recognize another !! LOL After our sixth 7th day cruise, out of New Orleans, as we were sailing back up the Mississippi River, she was sitting out on the balcony, savoring the night, and I walked back into the room and she said sadly to me, 'WHY did you wait so long before taking me on a cruise??' LOL !!This comment from a woman who claimed years earlier, 'NO way would she ever go on a cruise!' Women !?!

Mac

Folks think I'm crazy when I say I'm all booked up for 2017 and 2018 and that I'm now looking at cruises for 2019 and 2020 starting next year. Lol! They are like where do you get all that money. I tell them that I put down a deposit and pay as I go. It's cheaper that way. And I say if I want to cancel, I can within the time allowed. Folks just don't get preplanning and budgeting. I make sacrifices so that I can cruise. I don't ways stay in a balcony. I switch it up from time to time depending on which cruise line I'm cruising on, etc. Plus, I'm single and I travel alone the majority of the time. It makes things a lot easier.

Well, she's always wanted to do an Xmas trip. She was kidding me one night and said it's been on her 'bucket list' cruise ever since we did an Alaskan cruise on the CCL Spirit in 2010. So, one day two weeks ago, I was checking the website, saw a Xmas cruise was available on the Breeze, leaving Dec 22 so when I saw there was a balcony available on the Ledo deck, I called it out while she was sitting in the living room. She came FLYING in here , almost knocked me out of the chair and immediately booked it. :) Hmm..? I guess it takes ONE cruise 'addict' too recognize another !! LOL After our sixth 7th day cruise, out of New Orleans, as we were sailing back up the Mississippi River, she was sitting out on the balcony, savoring the night, and I walked back into the room and she said sadly to me, 'WHY did you wait so long before taking me on a cruise??' LOL !!This comment from a woman who claimed years earlier, 'NO way would she ever go on a cruise!' Women !?!

Mac

LOL!!! Yeah we can be rather confusing at times. Even to ourselves. Relaxing on the balcony at night sounds amazing!! We've only sailed once in a balcony but my smaller children were with us and they kept coming out leaning over to see the water and bickering over who got to sit next to mommy...... It was not relaxing. I book ocean view but no balcony with kids. Actually when my husband and I sail alone I typically book an interior cabin. I started booking ocean view just because it didn't seem quite so small and claustrophobic with a family of four. Eek!

We are cruising out of NOLA later this year. Looking forward to it! I hear it's a great port and that sailing down the Mississippi is awesome!

Mac

The cruise we met on was a new year's cruise! We went to Hawaii for Christmas before having kids but haven't done any vacations for Christmas since they've been here. Maybe when they're older. Sounds like perfect timing. A cruise in lieu of gifts sounds like the perfect Christmas to me! [emoji38]

Folks think I'm crazy when I say I'm all booked up for 2017 and 2018 and that I'm now looking at cruises for 2019 and 2020 starting next year. Lol! They are like where do you get all that money. I tell them that I put down a deposit and pay as I go. It's cheaper that way. And I say if I want to cancel, I can within the time allowed. Folks just don't get preplanning and budgeting. I make sacrifices so that I can cruise. I don't ways stay in a balcony. I switch it up from time to time depending on which cruise line I'm cruising on, etc. Plus, I'm single and I travel alone the majority of the time. It makes things a lot easier.

We are booked through 2019 and waiting for 2020 fares to open so we can lock that fare in as well! A well planned vacation is the best vacation! Happy cruising!

We are cruising out of NOLA later this year. Looking forward to it! I hear it's a great port and that sailing down the Mississippi is awesome!

Sailing out of NOLA on the Mississippi is a neat experience and definitely different than the typical bay departure. Only done it once but would love the do it again someday. You'll really enjoy it.

LOL!!! Yeah we can be rather confusing at times. Even to ourselves. Relaxing on the balcony at night sounds amazing!! We've only sailed once in a balcony but my smaller children were with us and they kept coming out leaning over to see the water and bickering over who got to sit next to mommy...... It was not relaxing. I book ocean view but no balcony with kids. Actually when my husband and I sail alone I typically book an interior cabin. I started booking ocean view just because it didn't seem quite so small and claustrophobic with a family of four. Eek!

Oh yes! I agree with you on both counts, I would never book a balcony w/any child under the age of sixteen, and would still have some second thoughts.. NOLA was a beautiful city, I wish we had more time to sightsee instead of the one night.at the hotel. We stayed at a nice hotel down on Canal street, took an early breakfast and walked around that area till it was time to drive to the cruise port. We've done 2 other cruises out of 'Naw-orleans' as people in the south refer to it since then but that was the first time we'd ever stayed that close to downtown. You hear of the Mississippi River but till you actually SEE it, you don't realize how wide it is. We didn't realize it but our ship was docked pointing north, when the underway horn sounded and the ropes were cast off the whole ship did an 180 degree turn to port and sailed in the opposite direction, and we still weren't even halfway to the opposite bank. Now, that is WIDE. Since you have little ones, NOLA might be a nice sightseeing trip for them and yall as well, maybe a few days pre-cruise ?? :) Either way, have a FANTASTIC cruise !!

( P.S. Just teasing you about the 'Woman' remark!! After all, isn't that the factor we men LOVE about the female gender?)

Mac

Oh yes! I agree with you on both counts, I would never book a balcony w/any child under the age of sixteen, and would still have some second thoughts.. NOLA was a beautiful city, I wish we had more time to sightsee instead of the one night.at the hotel. We stayed at a nice hotel down on Canal street, took an early breakfast and walked around that area till it was time to drive to the cruise port. We've done 2 other cruises out of 'Naw-orleans' as people in the south refer to it since then but that was the first time we'd ever stayed that close to downtown. You hear of the Mississippi River but till you actually SEE it, you don't realize how wide it is. We didn't realize it but our ship was docked pointing north, when the underway horn sounded and the ropes were cast off the whole ship did an 180 degree turn to port and sailed in the opposite direction, and we still weren't even halfway to the opposite bank. Now, that is WIDE. Since you have little ones, NOLA might be a nice sightseeing trip for them and yall as well, maybe a few days pre-cruise ?? :) Either way, have a FANTASTIC cruise !!

( P.S. Just teasing you about the 'Woman' remark!! After all, isn't that the factor we men LOVE about the female gender?)

Mac

Hubby and I have been to N'awlins a couple of times and we love it! My parents, who are sailing with us, have also been but didn't care for the city. Go figure. This will be our kids' first time to NOLA. We are arriving Friday for a Sunday embarkation so we will have a little time to explore with them. I'm excited to go back! Cafe Du Monde here I come! Lol.

I totally know youre joking! DH says the same thing! Lol. [emoji23][emoji38]

I just did some quick math (well, the calculator did), and with that strategy, it's going to take 8 years to pay for my next cruise. [emoji24]

:')

Everyone (well mostly) is always surprised we're going on yet another cruise. So we encourage them to join us (they must get their own cabin!)...I should just become a TA! ;p Those that have joined us are working on going on their second cruise or are planning another. In other words show them that cruising isn't expensive or it doesn't have to be, especially if booked in advanced.

I also have the same problem. How do you afford to go on all those cruises? Like many others, we budget each month a certain amount for these trips and we book on a cruise for the next cruise. Many ways to save when planning these adventures if you're willing to do your homework. My grown kids are especially jealous. I just tell them I serve my time being stone broke raising kids now it's our time to spend their inheritance.

My mother used to say simply: Everybody spends their money differently

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wise mom, that's exactly what I tell people if someone asks about it.

I know friends who eat out 3-5 times a week, or they like to go to places and drink. Those people probably spend in a month how much a cheap cruise costs. Heck, a Starbucks a day is probably a cruise a year :)

I also have the same problem. How do you afford to go on all those cruises? Like many others, we budget each month a certain amount for these trips and we book on a cruise for the next cruise. Many ways to save when planning these adventures if you're willing to do your homework. My grown kids are especially jealous. I just tell them I serve my time being stone broke raising kids now it's our time to spend their inheritance.

I wish I could click "Like" for your comment, as I feel the same. I'm sure there is a lot we could spend our money on--updating our old house, buy a new car, etc---but travel is much more important to me. We are both in our 60s--hubby closer to 70 than me--and know there could come a time when we may be unable to travel as much, so we are trying to just enjoy life in our retirement. We spent our lives working hard, raising 5 children and putting them through college and pay for weddings. It's now "our turn" and "our time". Inheritance?? What inheritance? We are happily spending anything we have left after raising them! I just wish I could afford to cruise more than once a year, but as I mentioned previously, we have to fly to port from where we live, so that cost has to factor in.

I wish I could click "Like" for your comment, as I feel the same. I'm sure there is a lot we could spend our money on--updating our old house, buy a new car, etc---but travel is much more important to me. We are both in our 60s--hubby closer to 70 than me--and know there could come a time when we may be unable to travel as much, so we are trying to just enjoy life in our retirement. We spent our lives working hard, raising 5 children and putting them through college and pay for weddings. It's now "our turn" and "our time". Inheritance?? What inheritance? We are happily spending anything we have left after raising them! I just wish I could afford to cruise more than once a year, but as I mentioned previously, we have to fly to port from where we live, so that cost has to factor in.

I agree with everything you said we are also retired empty nesters, but i have found a way for my DW and i to cruise at least twice a year.

I wish I could click "Like" for your comment, as I feel the same. I'm sure there is a lot we could spend our money on--updating our old house, buy a new car, etc---but travel is much more important...

You said it! Same issue my husband and have every time we announce that we are cruising again. Travel is at the top of our list of life goals. People make snide comments and act like it personally offends them that we are vacationing. They say rude things like "How can you afford that on your income?" We have 2 kids that we take with us, always. I never got to go on vacations as a kid, so taking my kids on trips is important to me. Then the haters say we "spoil the kids," and shouldn't take them. I guess a responsible parent should leave their kids behind while they visit a foreign country? Not this mom!

We both work hard. We save for 2-3 years at a time for our cruises and we go without a lot of "extras" because travel matters more to us than a big house, brand name clothes, or a fancy car. We live quite frugally 98% of the time, in a small home that just barely meets our needs. I'm always the one scraping the bottoms of food containers because I don't allow waste in my home. So, I'd say we've earned the right to splurge once every few years! [emoji849]

I too am asked this question as I do cruise at least monthly. So what, I'm not spending their money. :) My benefits of not paying for flights and not having to "save" to pay in full, all my late snagged bargains is what I have always done over many years.

My best comfort was, not "waiting" until I retired to start, which I'm thankful for every day for all those experiences.

A co-worker was showing me his brand new Corvette. It's a beautiful car, yes, but I told him I could go on a WHOLE lot of cruises for what he paid for that car.

Priorities, man.

This.

Ever since we started cruising in 2014 (about to go on our 8th one already lol) pricing of everything is now called "cruise dollars."

Example: Shopping at a store and you see something expensive. "I could go on a cruise for that much!!!"

Watching a game show and someone wins money. "If that were me, I'd book a cruise."

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app