Carnival Vista 8 day vs. Carnival Fascination 7 day - should we switch?

gardn198

Currently booked on the Fascination Southern Caribbean out of San Juan 2/18/18. Ports look amazing - Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten

However, flights to San Juan from pretty much anywhere (we have friends coming from LA, Charlotte, and Detroit) are VERY pricey, like over $1000. So my friends are considering a switch to a diff cruise out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

My favorite alternative so far looks like the Vista out of Miami on 2/10 - ports are Aruba, Curaçao, La Romana, and Grand Turk with 3 sea days. I love sea days!

So here's my dilemma:

The Ship:

I love sea days, and I'd love more time on the boat. 8 days vs. 7 - plus the cruise out of San Juan leaves at 10pm so it's really only like 6 days. The Vista is new, vs. Fascination is older. It's also MUCH bigger, but that might be a downside to meeting people? Is the Vista "too big" to really meet anyone?

The Ports:

I was most looking forward to Barbados and St. Lucia on the Fascination. How do the ports compare on this new option?

The Origin:

We found a deal for $195 at the Ritz in San Juan, I'll be sad to give that up :-(

The Crowd:

We are a bunch of single ladies in our late 20s/early 30s. To be honest, our priority is to meet singles our age! Would we have better luck on a smaller ship out of San Juan or larger ship out of Miami?

I know many people say with a port intensive itinerary that the ship doesn't matter, but I am here to tell you, it still does! My family prefers the ships with bells and whistles. We have done 2 cruises on Fantasy class ships and never again. We were so bored. Just not enough activities or things to do. I would consider another cruise line for the extreme Southern itinerary from SJ or cruise on Vista.

I know many people say with a port intensive itinerary that the ship doesn't matter, but I am here to tell you, it still does! My family prefers the ships with bells and whistles. We have done 2 cruises on Fantasy class ships and never again. We were so bored. Just not enough activities or things to do. I would consider another cruise line for the extreme Southern itinerary from SJ or cruise on Vista.

Thank you for your input! We've already paid the deposit on the Fascination so unfortunately we are stuck with Carnival. We'll still have to pay a $50pp change fee to switch itineraries but it could be worth it in the end. Ugh this is so difficult! I met my last boyfriend on my last cruise on the Glory so the ship time is more important to me than the ports to be honest. I travel internationally pretty frequently (going to Africa, Middle East, and Europe in 2 months!) so exploring ports isn't AS important to me since you don't really get to experience much in a few short hours. HOWEVER, this trip is a bachelorette party and there are 5 other girls to consider!

I would go with the Vista, I have cruised on Fantasy class ships and it was not very exciting, the Vista has it all! Also check the conquest sailings out of FT Lauderdale its a mid sized ship and it sails to San Juan as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would go with the Vista, I have cruised on Fantasy class ships and it was not very exciting, the Vista has it all! Also check the conquest sailings out of FT Lauderdale its a mid sized ship and it sails to San Juan as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My vote like MikenEvi2008 is Vista or maybe the Conquest....but for your goals..and I could be wrong..but for your goals and age group I would say the more time and sea days and newest ship...more of younger group wants newer for sure. I love the Fantasy class for the deals and smaller amt of people being served is often good service but the Vista is getting all the best service people I bet, best music etc. and kinks worked out by now and just so many more to do options on ship for meeting people...the Port Plan is good for meeting too. IE the beach stuff in Grand Turk and the 3 sea days!!!

Edited by sjn911

Yes it's very enticing....I've been wanting to do a family cruise anyways, for my 30th bday maybe... and the Fascination sounds like more of ship to have a family vacation in hang with my parents than meet singles

Just did that cruise from PR in November. Loved it. Ports lots of fun. Plenty to do on Fascination.

BUT, for your group and purpose I would say go with Vista. We missed having the Hub App, no Guys Burgers, and a few other things. Also didn't feel like we had enough sea days.

Do the PR cruise on Fascination another time .

8 days on the newest and biggest in the fleet versus 7 days on a Fantasy class ship? No comparison. Go Vista and if possible reserve a Havana cabin.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Seems like a no brainer! However the Vista seems kind of overwhelming to me... like a floating shopping mall! I've only sailed on the Glory before and found it charming... the newness of the Vista and its hugeness seem so impersonal to me. Have any of you sailed on the Conquest or Sunshine? Those 2 are other options as well.... I will definitely sail on the Fascination for the ports, but probably on a family trip with my parents. This trip I'm currently planning is for a bachelorette party!

Seems like a no brainer! However the Vista seems kind of overwhelming to me... the newness of the Vista and its hugeness seem so impersonal to me.
After the debut of two new larger ships this year, the Vista will be the 30th largest cruise ship afloat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cruise_ships

In order to be a well rounded cruiser, you need to take the blinders off and look at the big picture and see what is available elsewhere. You may be enlightened to find out that there are other options that would be a better value. If you're talking bachelorette party, a ship such as the Norwegian Escape that includes a drinks package with even an inside cabin would seem to fit the bill. But, since it is number 8 on the list, it could overwhelm you. But after researching the Vibe area, Spice H2O, Glow party and Howl at the Moon, you may change your tune. Best of luck planning your getaway with the girls.

After the debut of two new larger ships this year, the Vista will be the 30th largest cruise ship afloat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cruise_ships

In order to be a well rounded cruiser, you need to take the blinders off and look at the big picture and see what is available elsewhere. You may be enlightened to find out that there are other options that would be a better value. If you're talking bachelorette party, a ship such as the Norwegian Escape that includes a drinks package with even an inside cabin would seem to fit the bill. But, since it is number 8 on the list, it could overwhelm you. But after researching the Vibe area, Spice H2O, Glow party and Howl at the Moon, you may change your tune. Best of luck planning your getaway with the girls.

Thank you so much! Unfortunately we already paid the deposit on the Fascination (but are looking to switch) so we are stuck with Carnival on this trip. We will still need to pay a $50pp change fee but at least we won't lose the whole deposit :-(

Thank you so much! Unfortunately we already paid the deposit on the Fascination (but are looking to switch) so we are stuck with Carnival on this trip. We will still need to pay a $50pp change fee but at least we won't lose the whole deposit :-(
Check out this video and see if it does not change your mind about the Vista. These cabins are also available as an inside...there are 14.

We have done a cruise on a big ship "with all the bells and whistles" (Allure) Out of our four cruises, it has been our least favourite among my family. The bigger ships are far less personable. We always meet people to chat with everywhere we go, land or sea, and on the Allure we did not get the vibe that anyone was interested at all. We vowed we would never cruise on a ship that size again.

We are booked on the Fascination in March 2018 and we are really looking forward to it.

Gardn198:

You have to weigh everything out together.

First, the fascination is a much smaller ship, therefore it can get into smaller ports.

St Lucia, Barbados, and Aruba are my favorite ports, but Grand Turk is also very nice and EASY to get off the ship. It's like a private island for the cruise ship with Margaritaville.

I know that the price of the Fascination has to be lower than the Vista.

Both ships include unlimited food. Both ships have carnival crew and entertainment.

However, the Vista is a much newer ship. The Fascination is a nice ship, just older.

It might be better to go on the Fascination and pay a lower price for the cruise and bite the bullet on the airfare. Try jet blue and southwest for lower fares.

Either way, you will have a great time.

I've done the southern itinerary out of San Juan TWICE and love it. I would personally discount any comment by someone who hasn't been to any of those places. Previously, Carnival had Destiny and then Valor do that itinerary. Personally, that can be the least 'tricked out' ship as you are literally in port and touring pretty much constantly. Now would I want an old beat up weekend booze cruise boat? Well no. But without looking I think Fascination has been upgraded to a certain extent.

Now to your second point. $1,000 airfare to SJU is VERY high. Like crazy high. Maybe I'm jaded being in Chicago but I'd consider about $400 RT to be about 'normal'. For that kind of air I'd look to do something else (like Vista that you're considering) and then hit a San Juan departure next time.

We sailed the Fascination in March of this year and had a great time!! The airfare was more expensive but no where near $1000. I just kept looking around. We flew southwest. But if you want to spend alot of time on the ship and not in the ports there is really no reason to fly to PR. The ports were AMAZING!! Either way, I am sure you will have a great time!

Donna

I've done the Fascination itinerary on Valor. I'm doing it again this summer. I love the itinerary. That being said the islands, as far as I'm concerned, are all pretty much the same. I did Aruba on my honeymoon years ago and it's awesome. The other islands on Vista are also not the usual Easter/Western islands. It sounds like a great cruise. I'd switch, especially if it was a money saver.

The Vista cruise you are considering is really a great option. It's not like your cruise is doing the standard and overrun ports. Getting all the way to the ABC's gets you well past 'routine'.

BTW, we fly SWA to SJU too. My guess is that they'll have that February '18 schedule out by maybe August. They like to have their schedule out about 6-8 months. Current availability is through early November. So if you have a chance to hold out a little on air, I would.

Well to make things MORE complicated, we're now considering the Sunshine out of Orlando. Same ports as Vista minus La Romana and an extra sea day. We can get spa cabins for less than regular cabins on the Vista.

We looked at a bunch of cruises and flight costs were a part of the total purchase price of our trip.

We elected a 8-day Vista cruise flying into MIA from California as rates were $170 pp one-way. Our return flight is FLL to CA and we got that for $190 pp one-way. That's $360 pp r/t which is below our target costs of $425 pp r/t. Our decision was a no-brainer on total costs.

The less expensive flight's enable us to spend 3 nights in MIA pre-cruise and we are taking a late departure from FLL to pend the day in FLL.

Overall, a 13 day vacation for $3,625 not including cruise gratuities and shore excursions. I'm sure we'll come in less than $5,000 for the two of us total trip costs.

Cruise where you find the most value for your money.

If you do the math, 8 cruise/vacation days of 365 days in a year is 2.2% of the total year. Don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy your time and vacation. Life is short.

Well to make things MORE complicated, we're now considering the Sunshine out of Orlando. Same ports as Vista minus La Romana and an extra sea day. We can get spa cabins for less than regular cabins on the Vista.

I think you need to decide what is more important. What is offered on the ship and what you will participate in/make use of, or what islands you are visiting and what you want/wish to do there. In the gazillions of cruise searches I have done, I have never come across the perfect ship (for us) with the perfect itinerary (for us) at the date we need and (its a biggie) the price we are willing to pay. I would rather our Southern Car. cruise have a slightly bigger ship offered because we have teens, but with the itinerary being to the ports it is, I am willing to try the small ship. The Fascination will be undergoing drydock in the New Year and getting some upgrades.

We are on the Fascination in June. I personally love the Fantasy class ships. Maybe partly because the Fantasy was my first, and it was my honeymoon 25 years ago. We have done a southern Caribbean before and out of 16 cruises, it is my favorite!

However, as port intensive as the Fascination is, I would guess people won't stay up as late and party. Less chance to meet people. I can tell you for sure after our June cruise, as I have a 19 year old who plans to stay out late every night.

Our airfare was high, around $500 pp, but I paid with points (there are 4 of us going) from Houston. My parents are going from Iowa, and their airfare is $800.

All in all, I would guess the clientele will be more your age on the Vista, and more MY age on the Fascination.

One other note: The Fascination also leaves out of Barbados. I doubt airfare is cheaper to go there, but you might check. It would mean leaving 2 days later. It also means you will cross over different sets of people as people will be coming (and going) in Barbados.