Cruise Insurance - things I didn't know you could claim for.

mandylennon

Looking through my insurance policy documents, came across the following which I never knew you could claim for:

Cabin confinement

Itinerary change

Unused excursions

Cruise interruption.

Hopefully we will never have to claim for these, but good to know you can claim if the need arises.

Some insurance companies have done this in their standard policy for a few years, others available as extra cost. We used to be insured with a company that offered all those conditions but on renewal was very expensive. The trouble with itinerary change it was only applicable if we missed ports while on the cruise then you had to get written confirmation that you had missed that port from the cruise company, not always easy and then when you took away the excess it wasn't worth claiming for.

also you are only covered for a change of itinerary if it happen while you are away.

I looked at it last year as we had 2 changes to our cruise on the Vista.

Someone on the roll call said "great we can claim for the change", but as we had been told well in advance it did not qualify. Plus I don't think it's a lot anyway.

When we got on board we were refunded the port fees for Kusadasi which was removed altogether. I think that worked out more than we would have been able to claim for anyway had it qualified.

also you are only covered for a change of itinerary if it happen while you are away.

I looked at it last year as we had 2 changes to our cruise on the Vista.

Someone on the roll call said "great we can claim for the change", but as we had been told well in advance it did not qualify. Plus I don't think it's a lot anyway.

When we got on board we were refunded the port fees for Kusadasi which was removed altogether. I think that worked out more than we would have been able to claim for anyway had it qualified.

P&O are very underhand with regards to port fees because if you miss a port they do not refund them even though you have paid for them in your cruise fare and because you have missed your port P&O do not have to pay port authority you have missed anything they keep it as profit. When we missed 2 ports on a Princess cruise within 24hrs we received a letter from then whilst onboard that we would be refunded port fees/taxes and it would be added to our onboard account. If we did not spend it onboard it would be sent to our home address by cheque at a later date. When I queried this with P&O about missed ports they initially said they do not charge cruisers port fees/taxes, which they do but it is inclusive in the price, not like some American cruise lines. Eventually they admitted it was not company policy to reimburse anything for missed ports.

I suspect the cruise companies loose out if they do not call into a port as they have to refund excursion costs, so do not make money from those.

Princess lost the excursion profit from both ports that we missed on a cruise last year but they still reimbursed port taxes/fees for those ports within 24hrs. Whatever spin is put on it P&O have to pay port fees/taxes at every port they dock and this is obviously taken into account when pricing the cruise. To then not have to pay these fees and not reimbursing them to the passengers is a very underhand and sharp practice.

Some insurance companies have done this in their standard policy for a few years, others available as extra cost. We used to be insured with a company that offered all those conditions but on renewal was very expensive. The trouble with itinerary change it was only applicable if we missed ports while on the cruise then you had to get written confirmation that you had missed that port from the cruise company, not always easy and then when you took away the excess it wasn't worth claiming for.

Our insurance covers missed ports as standard...and when we claimed we didnt have to pay any excess...it was just a straight £150 pp per port missed...and as we missed two, we got £600. The following years' premium only went up by £7, so I dont think it was loaded because of the claim either.

P&O are very underhand with regards to port fees because if you miss a port they do not refund them even though you have paid for them in your cruise fare and because you have missed your port P&O do not have to pay port authority you have missed anything they keep it as profit. When we missed 2 ports on a Princess cruise within 24hrs we received a letter from then whilst onboard that we would be refunded port fees/taxes and it would be added to our onboard account. If we did not spend it onboard it would be sent to our home address by cheque at a later date. When I queried this with P&O about missed ports they initially said they do not charge cruisers port fees/taxes, which they do but it is inclusive in the price, not like some American cruise lines. Eventually they admitted it was not company policy to reimburse anything for missed ports.

:eek::eek::eek: You mean that they don't put them in the staff gratuity bank :eek::eek::eek: