Carnival Corporation Increases Dividend eff. Jun/17

After checking for the Carnival Stock, I see there are two: CCL and CUK . I have read on this thread that it is the Carnival PLC stock. Can someone explain the difference and which is the correct one to purchase for the OBC and dividends.....CCL or CUK. My husband handles this, but I am trying to become educated since I use Cruise Critic and plan our trips.

Thanks in advance for your help !!

Why do you say HAL excluded? Awhile ago, it was stated that ALL Carnival Corp. lines were under the same umbrealla.

Thanks for the help! Anxious to get in on this as we have an HAL cruised in July 2017 and Princess in Feb. 2018.

Sorry you misunderstood- it is good on all Carnival lines. I wanted to make sure anyone new to this understands that it's not just HAL but all Carnival lines. I did not say that it's good on all lines just not HAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After checking for the Carnival Stock, I see there are two: CCL and CUK . I have read on this thread that it is the Carnival PLC stock. Can someone explain the difference and which is the correct one to purchase for the OBC and dividends.....CCL or CUK. My husband handles this, but I am trying to become educated since I use Cruise Critic and plan our trips.

"CCL" is the stock symbol of the Carnival Corporation stock you need to buy for the OBC.

Smooth sailing $$$

I am surprised to see that since my purchase date, Carnival Corporation has outperformed the S&P 500. I won't make my fortune with just 100 shares, but the onboard credit is a nice benefit. Royal Caribbean's stock has done much better.

Anyone interested in the shareholder benefit should read the details on the Carnival Corporation website: http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit Note that there are restrictions.

I am surprised to see that since my purchase date, Carnival Corporation has outperformed the S&P 500. I won't make my fortune with just 100 shares, but the onboard credit is a nice benefit. Royal Caribbean's stock has done much better.

Anyone interested in the shareholder benefit should read the details on the Carnival Corporation website: http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit Note that there are restrictions.

Just out of curiosity, why did you purchase only 100 shares of CCL?

"CCL" is the stock symbol of the Carnival Corporation stock you need to buy for the OBC.

Smooth sailing $$$

Carnival Corp is dual listed on the US and UK markets, both stocks are functionally identical and both provide the OBC.

I think you will find that most posters on this board who own CCL/CUK stocks own just the 100 shares required to get the OBC. Since the OBC doesn't increase with more shares, it is not necessary to buy more.

I was attracted solely by the onboard credit, an immediate 6% payback. I am moving away from picking individual stocks and am investing in index tracking ETF's now.

I also own only 100 shares of CCL. I originally bought 3000 shares when it was in the low 30s. When the stock went up to 45 I sold 2900 at a nice profit (wish I hadn't though) and kept 100 for the stock benefit.

My wife owns 100 shares of Carnival stock. Carnival Corp says the current schedule of shareholder benefits is applicable on sailings through July 31, 2018. We have our first HAL cruise booked for August 2018. Anyone know what would happen if we sent in the OBC request now; would it just be denied (for now) because there's no benefit schedule out that far yet? (Obviously, we can try it and see. Just curious as to whether anyone knows what would happen.)

Thanks

We sent in proof of ownership for 2 cruises. The first one was granted. The second cruise would be after the next stockholder's mtg so we had to wait & resend.

Great news in addition to my shares more than doubling since purchase and all the shareholder onboard credits I have received.

If only the rest of my portfolio was like this LOL......

Man, ain't that the truth! Mine haven't doubled just yet, but doing well. Of course, I won't sneeze at OBC either.

Sorry you misunderstood- it is good on all Carnival lines. I wanted to make sure anyone new to this understands that it's not just HAL but all Carnival lines. I did not say that it's good on all lines just not HAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Chelsea922,

My sincerest apologies! My mistake, not yours. I just read your post too fast!!:o

I love CC and everyone's input! So much helpful

information.

I'm also one who only bought 100 shares in 2009, just for the OBC.. Usually don't buy individual shares.. It has paid off nicely for us..We also wish we had bought more, but last year I changed the dividends to a dividend re-investment plan to accumulate a few more shares..:cool:

Edited by serendipity1499

... most posters on this board who own CCL/CUK stocks own just the 100 shares required to get the OBC. Since the OBC doesn't increase with more shares, it is not necessary to buy more.

... true, but it is necessary to purchase more than 100 shares in order to receive more dividends and realize more profit when you sell the stock after its price has gone up (as it has over the past several years) ... but then again if a person is making an investment (of ~$4,500) only to receive the OBC, she/he probably doesn't need/want to know the "rest of the story" ...

Smooth sailing :ship::ship::ship: ... and investing $$$

... true, but it is necessary to purchase more than 100 shares in order to receive more dividends and realize more profit when you sell the stock after its price has gone up (as it has over the past several years) ... but then again if a person is making an investment (of ~$4,500) only to receive the OBC, she/he probably doesn't need/want to know the "rest of the story" ...

Smooth sailing :ship::ship::ship: ... and investing $$$

However, most financial planners preach diversity. The market contains many stocks that have the same or higher dividend return with an opportunity for growth. As far as the "rest of the story", that varies with the individual needs and desires of each person. That is why many different types of investments exist. What you are comfortable with may scare the h*** out of someone else.

However, most financial planners preach diversity. The market contains many stocks that have the same or higher dividend return with an opportunity for growth. As far as the "rest of the story", that varies with the individual needs and desires of each person. That is why many different types of investments exist. What you are comfortable with may scare the h*** out of someone else.

Thanks, richwmn - you made my point much better than I did.

There are many lawyers, tax accountants and IRS Agents who take a much different view of the "tax-free" nature of the OBC "Dividend".

Have you had to pay tax on the shareholder OBC, or do you know someone who has?

Have you received a 1099? Ya me neither ;)

Have you had to pay tax on the shareholder OBC, or do you know someone who has?

Technically, you are supposed to self report any income you receive. This includes the OBC, small lottery winnings, cash paid for small services, gambling, etc. Realistically this rarely happens. You are also, at least in several states, supposed to report out of state purchases and include the sales tax owed when you file your state income tax. Again, this rarely happens.

OBC is NOT income. It's a GIFT and a gift is NOT taxable.

I am not a tax expert, so do not know how this is handled. Either way though, I would not give advice to anyone on how to handle it unless you are a tax professional.