2017 NCL Specialty Dining Restaurant Menus

ncsu1977

I have heard about some menu changes that have occurred recently as some posts have suggested. I am cruising on the Escape on August 30th. Would someone please post menus from their recent or upcoming cruises so myself and others can see what the current menus are. I have looked at beyondships2 page and the most recent menus are from 9/15 for the Escape. Thanks in advance for any reply.

I have heard about some menu changes that have occurred recently as some posts have suggested. I am cruising on the Escape on August 30th. Would someone please post menus from their recent or upcoming cruises so myself and others can see what the current menus are. I have looked at beyondships2 page and the most recent menus are from 9/15 for the Escape. Thanks in advance for any reply.

I have posted several menus and specialty dining review from our cruise on the Pearl a month ago- here is one and if you search in the search box the others are up too! I also have a FB page you can like for updates posts, menus, etc. :)

http://thecheerfulcruiser.blogspot.com/2017/04/specialty-dining-on-norwegian-moderno.html

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to have to go into our first cruise with low expectations. Essentially it is features pretty much everything you can get in MDR except steaks galore. With Lobster at an up charge in MDR wish I skipped the dining package and saved the added service charges

Just be careful with the Pearl Menus linked above. These menus are similar to the old ones that started to be replaced back in 2015. There are some big variations in the menus between ships at the moment, so what is on one ship won't necessarily be on others.

It is possible that they are moving back to the old menus, but I doubt it. If I was going on the Escape I would expect to see menus very similar to those on beyondships (with the change from Lobster to Shrimp as noted above).

BirdTravels recently sailed the Breakaway (Bermuda) & uploaded a good # of Specialty Dining menus, which should be nearly identical, if not exactly as the ones on the Escape. They looked the same while we're on the Gem in early May. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504449&highlight=breakaway

These are more current than what's on Beyondships2 ... menus at O'Sheehans are standardized (just about) across the entire NCL fleet.

NCL doesn't change its Specialty Dining menu that often, aside from the "takeaways" or substitutions (shrimp for lobster). Portion sizes seemed to be "bigger" than a year ago for us, sides too, but expect to pay an upgrade for anything "nicer" ... if offered & available.

On a side note: with skyrocketing prices of quality prime+ grade beef still (both retail & wholesale) on the rise, in part due to exports, even if NCL procurement sourced theirs & locked in prices with contracts, I just don't see "better" availabilities even with the upcharge. Ditto for New England lobsters, many freshly caught ones loaded & flown TPAC nonstop out of Boston daily - airlines are laughing all the way to the bank with their highly prized cargo.

BirdTravels recently sailed the Breakaway (Bermuda) & uploaded a good # of Specialty Dining menus, which should be nearly identical, if not exactly as the ones on the Escape. They looked the same while we're on the Gem in early May. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504449&highlight=breakaway

These are more current than what's on Beyondships2 ... menus at O'Sheehans are standardized (just about) across the entire NCL fleet.

NCL doesn't change its Specialty Dining menu that often, aside from the "takeaways" or substitutions (shrimp for lobster). Portion sizes seemed to be "bigger" than a year ago for us, sides too, but expect to pay an upgrade for anything "nicer" ... if offered & available.

On a side note: with skyrocketing prices of quality prime+ grade beef still (both retail & wholesale) on the rise, in part due to exports, even if NCL procurement sourced theirs & locked in prices with contracts, I just don't see "better" availabilities even with the upcharge. Ditto for New England lobsters, many freshly caught ones loaded & flown TPAC nonstop out of Boston daily - airlines are laughing all the way to the bank with their highly prized cargo.

And wasn't it Boston that had the 20lb lobster caught by TSA last week at the airport?

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to have to go into our first cruise with low expectations. Essentially it is features pretty much everything you can get in MDR except steaks galore. With Lobster at an up charge in MDR wish I skipped the dining package and saved the added service charges

Don't go with low expectations.

We sail a lot. and we have done many cruises dining in the Main Dining Rooms exclusively, 3 meals a day. It's great. Not exactly sure what your comment on steaks refers to, but there is a steak on the menu every night in the MDR. No lobsters on the ship, even for an upcharge now (exceptions are Ocean Blue).

Someone posted a link above, but I posted MDR menus for the 7 nights we were on the Breakaway last month if you want to see an example of what is available. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504449

You can also eat at O'Shehans or the buffet with no additional charge.

Edited by BirdTravels

Just be careful with the Pearl Menus linked above. These menus are similar to the old ones that started to be replaced back in 2015. There are some big variations in the menus between ships at the moment, so what is on one ship won't necessarily be on others. It is possible that they are moving back to the old menus, but I doubt it. If I was going on the Escape I would expect to see menus very similar to those on beyondships (with the change from Lobster to Shrimp as noted above).

Yes. The old menus are a bit perplexing. We have seen ships switch to the 2015 Escape menus when they go in for their Norwegian Edge dry docks (which the Pearl did earlier this year). I guess they did not change. We also had the "old" menus on the Jewel in April this year on a Mexican Riviera cruise (but the Jewel has not gone to dry dock during the current Edge upgrades).

And wasn't it Boston that had the 20lb lobster caught by TSA last week at the airport?
Yes, it was & they did it just for photo op :rolleyes: Lobsters were packed to fly using approved shipping container by vendor in CT, on its way to GA.

They've been packing them in foam containers to fill up air cargo containers, arriving fresh in PEK and CAN, etc. and commanding premium prices. CZ as the #5 carrier in the world set up a new BOS hub to take advantage of the trading opportunities ... I wonder if they are serving it on the "Joy" with an upcharge ;p