Launceston

They'll have to do a massive amount of dredging, and with the amount involved I can't see it happening.

Most of the river down near Lonny is less than 5Mtrs deep due to no dredging. The old dredge is a rusting hulk on the riverbank.

I think it went to Devonport, I can't see how it could get any further than Georgetown on the Tamar.

Mic, you are correct, we lived on the Tamar river in the 80's when they built the SeaCat - (the very first one people [emoji849] - omg) and the original went from Georgetown. Not only would it be a logistical nightmare the Batman Bridge is also on the Tamar River before Launceston.

If anything Devonport ferry terminal could be a possibility though .......

Mic, you are correct, we lived on the Tamar river in the 80's when they built the SeaCat - (the very first one people [emoji849] - omg) and the original went from Georgetown. Not only would it be a logistical nightmare the Batman Bridge is also on the Tamar River before Launceston.

If anything Devonport ferry terminal could be a possibility though .......

We used the SeaCat for a RT in 1991 and went from Welsh Pool, Victoria to Georgetown, Tasmania. It was wonderful, about 3 1/2 - 4 hours across the Tasman. I really don't understand why it doesn't run any more.

devonport is no good either the turning basin in the mersy will be shorter in length for a cruise ship to tackle as the spirit of tassie is on the border line of that......

As others have said getting a cruise ship to launceston would be a logistical nightmare... the Tamar would need severe dredging to hand these vessals and the batman bridge would need modification to allow these ships to get down to launceston also there is no where for these vessels to turn around as i can not see them reversing out of the tamar

Seacat well never did the crossing but i know there was alot of people not liking the trip across , many was getting seasick even though these wavepeircing catamarans could easily handle a crossing at high speeds.......the big problem was many didnt like doing the drive afterwoods getting off at welshpool to melbourne straight after getting of the ship......but proved to be unviable in the end

devonport is no good either the turning basin in the mersy will be shorter in length for a cruise ship to tackle as the spirit of tassie is on the border line of that......

As others have said getting a cruise ship to launceston would be a logistical nightmare... the Tamar would need severe dredging to hand these vessals and the batman bridge would need modification to allow these ships to get down to launceston also there is no where for these vessels to turn around as i can not see them reversing out of the tamar

Seacat well never did the crossing but i know there was alot of people not liking the trip across , many was getting seasick even though these wavepeircing catamarans could easily handle a crossing at high speeds.......the big problem was many didnt like doing the drive afterwoods getting off at welshpool to melbourne straight after getting of the ship......but proved to be unviable in the end

We arrived at Georgetown at around 7.30pm on a Sunday night to find the place shut. We had accommodation booked but there was nothing open for dinner. I got the hotel to ring a few people and they came back and opened two restaurants especially for all the guests, on the condition that we pay a 25% surcharge on the menu items. We all agreed.

We arrived at Georgetown at around 7.30pm on a Sunday night to find the place shut. We had accommodation booked but there was nothing open for dinner. I got the hotel to ring a few people and they came back and opened two restaurants especially for all the guests, on the condition that we pay a 25% surcharge on the menu items. We all agreed.

That was really good of the restaurants to come back and reopen for you guys thats brilliant even though ya was charged a 25% surcharge......You did this on the mainland they most likey would have said stuff ya as staff been sent home....

That was really good of the restaurants to come back and reopen for you guys thats brilliant even though ya was charged a 25% surcharge......You did this on the mainland they most likey would have said stuff ya as staff been sent home....

Yeah, well we were lucky and happy to find some food for the night, The alternative was driving to Launceston for food.

I think a couple of smaller ships have used the Inspection Head wharf at Beauty Point over the last couple of years - it is on the western side of the Tamar about a 45 min drive north of Launceston. The wharf is undergoing some refurb at the moment and should be able to handle ships up to 300m in length (Golden Princess is 290m) so would a likely candidate. There was a state government announcement last week that they are trying to open up access to more regional ports in Tas for cruise ships.

There are substantial wharves over the other side of the river at Bell Bay servicing industrial areas which are becoming less used, so they could also handle cruise ships.

As a southerner though, the best thing about misery flats (Launceston) is the view in the rear-view mirror as you are leaving town :-) (its a Tasmanian parochial thing)

I think a couple of smaller ships have used the Inspection Head wharf at Beauty Point over the last couple of years - it is on the western side of the Tamar about a 45 min drive north of Launceston. The wharf is undergoing some refurb at the moment and should be able to handle ships up to 300m in length (Golden Princess is 290m) so would a likely candidate. There was a state government announcement last week that they are trying to open up access to more regional ports in Tas for cruise ships.

There are substantial wharves over the other side of the river at Bell Bay servicing industrial areas which are becoming less used, so they could also handle cruise ships.

As a southerner though, the best thing about misery flats (Launceston) is the view in the rear-view mirror as you are leaving town :-) (its a Tasmanian parochial thing)

LOL, now that is a great endorsement for a place.:cool:

Thanks for the information on possible dock locations.

LOL, now that is a great endorsement for a place.:cool:

They are obviously from Hobart, you should hear what the people from Lonny say about them. We've spent holidays in both places, and they each have their own individual charm.