Concerns over recent activities? Anyone connect through Istanbul to US recently?

With recent activities in Stockholm and St. Petersburg, Along with the recent Syria stuff... Anyone think ports of call will be changed? Also, With the electronics ban in effect, I am wondering if anyone has recently connected through Istanbul to US?

I am flying from Copenhagen to L.A. but connecting via Istanbul. Worried about my cameras being confiscated! Wondering what the process is for carry-ons if your flight is originating in a non-ban country but connecting through a ban country. Such a shame we have to worry about such things:o

I would think you would need to out your camera in your checked baggage in Copenhagen, otherwise I suspect it would be taken from you at security in Istanbul and by then you won't have access to your suitcase (which should be checked right through to LA)

Only some airlines are affected by the ban. If you are flying from Copenhagen to the US via Istanbul, your airline is unlikely to be one of those on the "ban" list. The airlines are: Emirates, Etihad Airways, Qatar Airways, Kuwait Airways, Royal Jordanian, Saudi Arabian Airlines, EgyptAir, Turkish Airlines and Royal Air Maroc.

For a good run-down of the rules of this ban, read this recent article from the Washington Post, "What You Need to Know about the Electronics Ban":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/03/23/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-airline-electronics-ban/?utm_term=.e9b13f2f22dd

Only some airlines are affected by the ban. If you are flying from Copenhagen to the US via Istanbul, your airline is unlikely to be one of those on the "ban" list. The airlines are: Emirates, Etihad Airways, Qatar Airways, Kuwait Airways, Royal Jordanian, Saudi Arabian Airlines, EgyptAir, Turkish Airlines and Royal Air Maroc.

For a good run-down of the rules of this ban, read this recent article from the Washington Post, "What You Need to Know about the Electronics Ban":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/03/23/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-airline-electronics-ban/?utm_term=.e9b13f2f22dd

Thanks for the link. Better article than the ones I had previously read. Unfortunately, we are indeed booked on a Turkish airlines flight from Copenhagen, changing planes in Istanbul. Not sure how they would enforce this rule, extra security checking carry on bags at the gate? I feel that if I put my camera in my checked bag, I may as well also include a " steal me" sign as well! I have had things of less value taken... Don't know what to do...

I feel that if I put my camera in my checked bag, I may as well also include a " steal me" sign as well! I have had things of less value taken... Don't know what to do...

Can you put your camera in your bag and insure the heck out of it?

Do you have one flight number the whole way through, or 1 to Istanbul then a 2nd on to LA?

If you have 2 flight numbers then I am 99% sure you will a security check at a transit point, which is the same as the one passengers originating in Istanbul would get. That's where they would detect you camera in your carry on.

If you pack it in the centre of your suitcase surrounded by soft clothes, it should be fairly safe from damage. Re theft, it's very unlikely but not impossible it could be stolen, so just check your travel insurance covers it.

The reason only certain airlines are on the US list, is that the are the only airlines to fly from those points to the USA.

The UK rules that have been brought out are similar, but exclude cameras. Because so many airlines fly from the UK to Turkey we haven't got a list of airlines, just countries that the rules apply to.

Thanks everyone for your input!

I sent a tweet to Turkish Airlines and got this info:

• Turkish Airlines introduces its new offerings to make their U.S. and U.K. bound passengers’ journeys more comfortable during the implementation process of the electronics ban that declared by the concerned authorities
    • Our passengers will continue to use the on board internet with their mobile phones.
    • Laptops, tablets and other electronic devices may be used until the boarding gate where they will be handed over.
    • Our transfer passengers will have to deliver their respective devices at the boarding gate on their arrival in Istanbul.
    • If passenger prefers not to place his/her electronical devices to the checked baggage during the check-in, according to the amendments, these devices will be handed over to be tagged at the boarding gate for a safe and secure transportation, and will be handed back to the passengers upon arrival at the destination. At this destination there will be Turkish Airlines’ authorized staff who will collect the luggages that contain electronic devices. These staff will take them all to the designated place in baggage reclaim area, and all devices will be delivered to owners by these staff by matching the given luggage tags with the record list they have.

I think I will go ahead and carry on. I am getting the details ironed out with the travel insurance to make sure I know exactly what hoops I must jump through if the cameras do go missing.