Black Tie nights - are there an alternative dining arrangments?

wombatsoup

Guest Snaxmuppet

What are you saying? Are we not allowed then to post into older threads when we join if we have something we want to say?

What are you saying? Are we not allowed then to post into older threads when we join if we have something we want to say?

Some people are not very helpful are they!

There is nothing to stop you wearing formal wear every evening but I don't think dedicated formal venues would work because it would need separate dining rooms and bars etc. There would probably be insufficient demand as well given that P&O is a mass market cruise line.

Guest Snaxmuppet

Thanks. I see what you mean... my cruising inexperience showing I guess :)

I apologise for digging up the thread. I have recently joined and so I am just catching up on things and I have to be honest, I didn't check how old the thread was.

Totally opposed to any areas where formal dress is compulsary,if people wish to dress up fine,I have no problem with that,the cruise is my holiday which I have worked year round for & if I am comfy wearing tee shirt & shorts then I really don't see why I shouldn't be able to wear them anytime,anywhere.

Thanks. I see what you mean... my cruising inexperience showing I guess :)

I apologise for digging up the thread. I have recently joined and so I am just catching up on things and I have to be honest, I didn't check how old the thread was.

For what my humble opinion might be worth, I find it refreshing that as a "newbie" you are actually researching and looking to see if your queries have been covered in previous posts, instead of just starting a new thread on a subject that has been covered a few times before.

Keep digging, you will get the answers that you will need to enjoy all your future cruises.

Guest Snaxmuppet
Totally opposed to any areas where formal dress is compulsary,if people wish to dress up fine,I have no problem with that,the cruise is my holiday which I have worked year round for & if I am comfy wearing tee shirt & shorts then I really don't see why I shouldn't be able to wear them anytime,anywhere.

The trouble is that it is other people's holiday too. Many people don't want to be surrounded by people in shorts and T-shirts when they are dressed up to the nines. It just feels all wrong.

I do agree though... you should be able to dress as you want all the time... nothing wrong with that but not on a ship with dress codes. I too will feel the same sometimes I am sure... we just have to pick your cruise line carefully I guess for one that has no dress code at all... not many of those around. Perhaps there should be more of them to give us that choice. At the moment there isn't much choice if you want a totally no dress code cruise. I would like to see more.

Anyway... I am off to buy a Dinner Suit tomorrow... can't wait :)

The suggestion of choosing a cruise line comes up again,not easy when you have fixed holidays,you are limited to what cruises are available at the time & what you can afford,not to mention whether or not they go anywhere you are interested in going!

Guest Snaxmuppet

Yes, I can see that it is difficult. That is why we need more cruise lines, or at least more ships if not the entire line, be much more casual over the dress codes. We need more choice IMO.

I love to dress up... but not for every holiday. For a Caribbean Cruise I'd prefer casual all the time whereas a sailing from the UK I'd perhaps perfer more of a formal flavour. I realise that this is all very much personal preference but that is what choice is all about... everyone is different and even individuals want different things sometimes.

This is probably the most discussed topic amongst cruisers so I am sorry to go on :) But I have just come back to cruising after a break and it is probably the dress codes that has been the biggest thing that has put me off cruising. It is a pity that so many people are dissuaded from cruising because of this.

Yes, I can see that it is difficult. That is why we need more cruise lines, or at least more ships if not the entire line, be much more casual over the dress codes. We need more choice IMO.

I love to dress up... but not for every holiday. For a Caribbean Cruise I'd prefer casual all the time whereas a sailing from the UK I'd perhaps perfer more of a formal flavour. I realise that this is all very much personal preference but that is what choice is all about... everyone is different and even individuals want different things sometimes.

This is probably the most discussed topic amongst cruisers so I am sorry to go on :) But I have just come back to cruising after a break and it is probably the dress codes that has been the biggest thing that has put me off cruising. It is a pity that so many people are dissuaded from cruising because of this.

Possibly it’s a good job some are put off as the U.K. cruise industry is increasing between 5% and 9% each year any more and the prices of cruises would go up as demand outstrips supply. That is why they can confidently build 2 180,000 tonne vessels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Possibly it’s a good job some are put off as the U.K. cruise industry is increasing between 5% and 9% each year any more and the prices of cruises would go up as demand outstrips supply. That is why they can confidently build 2 180,000 tonne vessels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree.Cruising is fantastic value for money when you consider what is included and thats why a lot of new people are trying cruising instead of/or additional to a hotel in the sun holiday.

I agree.Cruising is fantastic value for money when you consider what is included and thats why a lot of new people are trying cruising instead of/or additional to a hotel in the sun holiday.

I've always looked at cruises & considered them quite expensive,I've never really looked that closely at the likes of an all inclusive in the likes of,say for example,Benidorm,as it doesn't really appeal but some of the prices I have seen seem to be quite a bit cheaper than cruises,at the end of the day it is down to what suits the individual,I find it quite interesting how many ads for cruises that I've seen lately are advertising very low deposits so somebody certainly seems to be keen to attract a bigger audience!

The trouble is that it is other people's holiday too. Many people don't want to be surrounded by people in shorts and T-shirts when they are dressed up to the nines. It just feels all wrong.

I do agree though... you should be able to dress as you want all the time... nothing wrong with that but not on a ship with dress codes. I too will feel the same sometimes I am sure... we just have to pick your cruise line carefully I guess for one that has no dress code at all... not many of those around. Perhaps there should be more of them to give us that choice. At the moment there isn't much choice if you want a totally no dress code cruise. I would like to see more.

Anyway... I am off to buy a Dinner Suit tomorrow... can't wait :)

M&S do good ones and you can wash them