Black Tie nights - are there an alternative dining arrangments?

wombatsoup

The menu in the main restaurants is enhanced on formal nights so why would you want to miss out on this?

Brian

I remember it well, it was enhanced to include cheese on toast, I nearly died laughing, I can have cheese on toast at home ;p

What surprises me is that these same people continue to cruise with a company that to them is so bad. More fool them.

More fool to sycophants who see no fault where it exists.

A cruise is a package, few companies get everything right. It would be crazy to say you were never going to use a company because of one area of issue when the rest are good.

Food on P&O is extremely variable, some​ great, some very poor. I can live with that as I like the rest of the package.

Immediately above this thread is a thread of people who hate the orange juice and coffee; should they all stop booking with P&O?

................someone sending every third dish back is plainly ridiculous and that person really has to consider if they are travelling with the right company.

MDR food on P&O is an absolute disgrace, thankfully decent alternatives are available in the specialty restaurants. Recently in the MDR on Britannia I made two attempts to get a decent meal, failed on both ocassions so we enjoyed the Beach House, Sindu, Glasshouse and the Limelight for the rest of the cruise.

Home porting in Barbados is the main attraction to us and just tolerate the downsides of P&O with the MDR a no-go area for the immediate future, although I doubt if the quality and standards will improve.

MDR food on P&O is an absolute disgrace, thankfully decent alternatives are available in the specialty restaurants. Recently in the MDR on Britannia I made two attempts to get a decent meal, failed on both ocassions so we enjoyed the Beach House, Sindu, Glasshouse and the Limelight for the rest of the cruise.

Home porting in Barbados is the main attraction to us and just tolerate the downsides of P&O with the MDR a no-go area for the immediate future, although I doubt if the quality and standards will improve.

Good for you. So pleased to hear that.

I remember it well, it was enhanced to include cheese on toast, I nearly died laughing, I can have cheese on toast at home ;p

Please..the posh name for a cheese toastie/cheese on toast is 'Welsh Rarebit.' :')

I saw that on P&O OK, think it was a 'starter.':eek:

• 4 weeks later...
Having given my DJ to charity I intend taking my normal black suit with me on an upcoming cruise on Britannia, to wear with a normal dark tie. Will this be frowned upon?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Simply, no. It will not be frowned on. No problem at all.

• 2 months later...

Just to follow up to this. Currently on the Arcadia, docked in Flam/Flaam (or however the Norweigans spell it) and we've had one formal night. Now, due to a variety of events since I first posted (changed job mainly), I've gone without any kind of DJ or suit - except for a decent pair of shoes, but no shoe polish (and for some bizzare reason, the ship's shop doesn't sell shoe polish).

So I tried the in-room service, and it's not bad at all! Sure, it does cost a small amount, but it's not bad at all. The alternative is the Belvadere and the Aquarius pool and bar.

Maybe I am alone but I find this thread hilarious!!

I rarely 'dress up' so am looking forward to the formal nights on board - I actually enjoy shopping for them (and I HATE shopping usually)

I enjoy my food but I do think there are some people who get enjoyment or think they are superior by sending food back (I am not saying that is the case here) but usually it would have to be obviously bad for me to send food back, I just wouldn't order it again.

When I cruise I am on holiday and don't look for things to complain about.

I was going to book my cruise tonight but it has gone up so I am going to wait a bit longer. It is for 12 nights and I am looking forward to however many formal nights there are! :D

Just to follow up to this. Currently on the Arcadia, docked in Flam/Flaam (or however the Norweigans spell it) and we've had one formal night. Now, due to a variety of events since I first posted (changed job mainly), I've gone without any kind of DJ or suit - except for a decent pair of shoes, but no shoe polish (and for some bizzare reason, the ship's shop doesn't sell shoe polish).

So I tried the in-room service, and it's not bad at all! Sure, it does cost a small amount, but it's not bad at all. The alternative is the Belvadere and the Aquarius pool and bar.

A bit more expensive than room service, but when I was on Arcadia in June, Sindhu did not require formal attire on formal nights but the Ocean Grill did. I ate in both on formal nights and around 30% in Sindhu wore casual. Check with Gulam the Maitre d' in Sindhu.

A bit more expensive than room service, but when I was on Arcadia in June, Sindhu did not require formal attire on formal nights but the Ocean Grill did. I ate in both on formal nights and around 30% in Sindhu wore casual. Check with Gulam the Maitre d' in Sindhu.

My understanding is that casual means smart casual is this the case?

My understanding is that casual means smart casual is this the case?

No need for a jacket on P&O, just an open necked shirt for men. There were a few there with no jacket. Basically, what you would wear to the main dining room on a non-formal night was acceptable in Sindhu on a formal night. So, yes maybe I should have said smart casual.

Just looked at the confirmations and no dress code stated for Sindhu on any night but the Ocean Grill stated Evening casual or Black Tie. Knew there would be a use for all those bits of paper that litter up the cabin and sad person that I am, they even made it home with me :D

Sometimes Dai you have to ignore the ridiculous comments that people make and just let others judge. What surprises me is that these same people continue to cruise with a company that to them is so bad. More fool them.
No fool here, 2 P&O cruises cancelled and alternatives booked with other lines.

But you are right Dave and I agree with you on formal nights the dress code should apply to the whole ship. As it did when we started cruising.

:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

And it's due to attitudes like this, is exactly why we've cancelled our cruises with P&O.

Bring on Celebrity with their dress code where on 'Evening Chic' nights I can wear a tux if I wish, a jacket if I wish, or smart casual if I wish. So many alternative venues it's hard to decide.

NCL where there isn't a formal dress code, so again I can dress up if I wish in a tux or smart casual. Once again, so many alternative venues to choose from.

At least the line we are more loyal to (RCI) has many more alternative dining venues (both complimentary and specialty restaurants) that do not enforce the suggested dress code where we could dine if we chose not to dress in a tux. You are not expected to stay in formal attire all evening on RCI unlike P&O.

MSC where, although on the older ships there aren't many alternative dining venues, you are not forced to stay in formal attire all evening.

How many alternatives do P&O offer, excluding the buffet, from what I can see, 2 at most? How many venues can people relax in with a beverage on P&O, maybe 2 if not in formal attire.

We have decided P&O are not for us. There is absolutely nothing that attracts us to this line with the extremely limited dining venues, enforced dress codes, boring food, holiday camp atmosphere with the 'great British sail away', and badly organised boarding process.

I'm sorry but in my view P&O are getting stuck in the past and they'll find this hard to enforce on the new ship they are building with so many more passengers on board. They are going to have to cater for a wider range of passengers in order to fill the ship in order that it is profitable.

And it's due to attitudes like this, is exactly why we've cancelled our cruises with P&O.

Bring on Celebrity with their dress code where on 'Evening Chic' nights I can wear a tux if I wish, a jacket if I wish, or smart casual if I wish. So many alternative venues it's hard to decide.

NCL where there isn't a formal dress code, so again I can dress up if I wish in a tux or smart casual. Once again, so many alternative venues to choose from.

At least the line we are more loyal to (RCI) has many more alternative dining venues (both complimentary and specialty restaurants) that do not enforce the suggested dress code where we could dine if we chose not to dress in a tux. You are not expected to stay in formal attire all evening on RCI unlike P&O.

MSC where, although on the older ships there aren't many alternative dining venues, you are not forced to stay in formal attire all evening.

How many alternatives do P&O offer, excluding the buffet, from what I can see, 2 at most? How many venues can people relax in with a beverage on P&O, maybe 2 if not in formal attire.

We have decided P&O are not for us. There is absolutely nothing that attracts us to this line with the extremely limited dining venues, enforced dress codes, boring food, holiday camp atmosphere with the 'great British sail away', and badly organised boarding process.

I'm sorry but in my view P&O are getting stuck in the past and they'll find this hard to enforce on the new ship they are building with so many more passengers on board. They are going to have to cater for a wider range of passengers in order to fill the ship in order that it is profitable.

You may not like it but anyone that comes on this Forum is entitled to a view, even those that don't sail with P&O but regurgitate the same comments relentlessly.

The fact is that the comments on here come from a very small number of people and anyone that is influenced into cancelling a cruise because of a couple of comments either needs help or is stretching the truth.

You may not like it but anyone that comes on this Forum is entitled to a view, even those that don't sail with P&O but regurgitate the same comments relentlessly.

The fact is that the comments on here come from a very small number of people and anyone that is influenced into cancelling a cruise because of a couple of comments either needs help or is stretching the truth.

Tell that to those that have harangued me in the past for my views.

Oh and I don't need help nor am I stretching the truth, but I am entitled to my views. Don't you imply I am lying.

Sent from Tapatalk

Tell that to those that have harangued me in the past for my views.

Oh and I don't need help nor am I stretching the truth, but I am entitled to my views. Don't you imply I am lying.

Sent from Tapatalk

Correct me if I´m wrong but have you ever harangued the people that love PandO and have a different view to your own

Interesting to read that on Arcadia Sindhu has an evening casual dress code on formal nights. Perhaps they should extend this to the rest of the fleet. Forgive me for been simplistic but the idea of dressing in formal wear when eating in an 'eastern cuisine' restaurant, even a posh one, just does nor feel right to me.

In Arcadias case maybe it is because they do not have a Beach House or Glass House?

Just as you should do.

If people don't like dressing up (formal evenings) then don't cruise P & O or dine in alternative venues. P & O have not changed anything and lots of us book with them as we like the more formal arrangements.

There are plenty of choices with regard cruising enough for people to pick a company that offers the service they prefer, just as you did.

I don't think it has anything to do with attitude especially when everyone know what a cruise line offers when they book.

I think we sometimes forget that the number of people who frequent this forum and post on it is minute compared to the number of people sailing with P&O. I have sometimes mentioned CC when on board and rarely has anyone I've spoken to even heard of it. It is right that someone who obviously doesn't like the dress code or the food should go to a different cruise line that offers what they want. It must say something for the product that P&O offer that on our last cruise - on Ventura - I would say over 90% of men were wearing Black Tie on a formal evening. Maybe things will change in the future who knows. I would hate to think that a new cruiser looking at this forum would think that some of the comments are typical of the average P&O passenger, and be put off even trying P&O.

Interesting to read that on Arcadia Sindhu has an evening casual dress code on formal nights. Perhaps they should extend this to the rest of the fleet. Forgive me for been simplistic but the idea of dressing in formal wear when eating in an 'eastern cuisine' restaurant, even a posh one, just does nor feel right to me.

In Arcadias case maybe it is because they do not have a Beach House or Glass House?

Just had a look at the Horizons I had on Ventura and Sindhu does not require Black tie there either on formal nights. Black tie will be strictly enforced in Epicurean, MDRs, Red Bar and Metropolis. So, maybe in Sindhu it is acceptable to wear evening casual across the fleet?

I think we sometimes forget that the number of people who frequent this forum and post on it is minute compared to the number of people sailing with P&O. I have sometimes mentioned CC when on board and rarely has anyone I've spoken to even heard of it. It is right that someone who obviously doesn't like the dress code or the food should go to a different cruise line that offers what they want. It must say something for the product that P&O offer that on our last cruise - on Ventura - I would say over 90% of men were wearing Black Tie on a formal evening. Maybe things will change in the future who knows. I would hate to think that a new cruiser looking at this forum would think that some of the comments are typical of the average P&O passenger, and be put off even trying P&O.
Annieuk, please do not take this as an attack on you, I'm just replying to your valid points of that those on here are the minority of those on board a ship.

I agree, but what the minority forget on here is that, like me in 2015, there are those of us who had not sailed P&O before and use CC for helpful and friendly advice, and come along to ask questions.

To receive replies like:-

"you should have known that when you booked"

"If you don't like it, sail with another line"

"I don't have an issue with the way P&O operate, if you do go elsewhere"

Are the above really constructive and helpful? No

When you explain what happens on other lines, you receive replies such as:-

"if you don't like the way P&O do it, then go elsewhere"

"it works well if you adhere to the rules and turn up as directed"

"stay in your hotel"

"walk around Southampton"

"we drive and plan to arrive at our allotted time"

Again the above are just pure defensive and don't acknowledge that there are different ways of doing something.

When you get feedback like the above, then there are times when you are tempted to reply in what may not be the best manner and that's how arguments start.

However, my point is, whether those on here are in the minority or not, the most vocal on CC are unpaid representatives of P&O, and are promoting the cruise line whether they like it or not.

These views do influence those who are looking for advice and I'm sorry but our feeling is that with attitudes and views like this, and the limited facilities and inflexibility offered by P&O on their ships compared to other lines, we will not be sailing with them now or in the near future. We cannot get excited about this cruise line and what it offers.

I would imagine P&O would not be keen on board members posting advice such as 'use another cruise line if you don't like formal' as it might scare away potential customers who don't know that almost all P&O ships are large enough to cater for formal and evening casual tastes, at the same time. Or they might not be concerned because there are so few of us lunatic fringe posting here and vast numbers of cruisers have never heard of CC.

Just had a look at the Horizons I had on Ventura and Sindhu does not require Black tie there either on formal nights. Black tie will be strictly enforced in Epicurean, MDRs, Red Bar and Metropolis. So, maybe in Sindhu it is acceptable to wear evening casual across the fleet?

I forgot to check Horizons on Azura last month but did notice that The Glass House on Azura and Ventura is evening casual on formal nights. Staff were telling passengers that, yes, they could eat there on formal nights in casual dress. This is despite the P&O site listing the Glass House as formal.