Black Tie nights - are there an alternative dining arrangments?

wombatsoup

on formal nights, the MDR cuisine standard does not necessarily always match up to the level of the dress code

That is my complaint.

On a two week cruise there is usually one good formal menu, one reasonable, and two 'really?' menus.

If the argument is that people will splash out on more expensive wine, etc, they are hardly likely to do so with some of the second rate menus, that feel like a mid week 'can't be bothered' at home.

Absolutely agree. Everyone should be happy.The point I was making is that P&O do have 2 Formals a week and you should know that when you book and they do offer alternative dining options so it is a matter of choice what you do. I have no problem whatsoever with that. I love Formal Nights and I get fed up reading about people moaning about them.

Fair enough [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is my complaint.

On a two week cruise there is usually one good formal menu, one reasonable, and two 'really?' menus.

If the argument is that people will splash out on more expensive wine, etc, they are hardly likely to do so with some of the second rate menus, that feel like a mid week 'can't be bothered' at home.

I do agree.

I used to love formal, I can't decide if it's me that has changed or if I have changed because the event has changed.

Lol no idea if that made sense.

I do agree.

I used to love formal, I can't decide if it's me that has changed or if I have changed because the event has changed.

Lol no idea if that made sense.

Yes Florry.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That is my complaint.

We understand exactly what you mean. So much of the cuisine gave one a feeling that there was no "passion" in the cooking. It somehow either lacked taste, not warm enough, quality not right, and so on. It was as if the chefs did not have any pride in their cooking or they simply did not care.

As mentioned above, the quality of cuisine , or the lack of it, has been discussed quite extensively in the other P&O threads currently. Seasoned P&O cruisers have commented how the standard of cuisine on P&O has fallen. It was not just on the Ventura, but unfavourable comments has been made recently of cuisine standard on the Azura, Britannia and Arcadia as well, which is 4 out of 6 ships in the entire fleet!

Issues has been raised which questioned if the company was doing too much cost cutting thus lowering cuisine standard, and whether it should increase its fares and maybe hopefully raised back standards; to perhaps P&O should not pretend it is a "classy" operation any longer and that it should instead promote itself as offering "value" cruises rather than "luxury" cruises. The food was so poor on P&O that when someone complained about the stampede to the food in the buffet , someone else answered jokingly that the poor quality of food would soon put a stop to that ! Another passenger posted here who mentioned that on one of his formal nights, the dish offered was fish and chips. Some of our biggest bug-bears were the watery custard and the meringue that was so hard it did not break even when it was knocked on the table - but there was a lot more . Now, surely P&O can do better than that!

On our cruise, we have raised some of the food issues with the Food and Beverage manager to no effect.

For us, we have totally given up hope that the standard of cuisine on P&O would improve any time soon now. We will vote with our wallets, and we have booked our next 2-weeks cruise in June, and it is NOT going to be a P&O cruise.We feel strongly that P&O should not take passengers for granted, and we are not prepared to spend thousands of £££ more, just to be given questionable standard of cuisine . Enough's enough.

Edited by Cahpek

Well as it happens we have booked a few cruises and have no problem with the food at all. I do not think there has been that much change in the 16 years we have cruised with them. We have not had a problem with any meal and I am not aware of any problems from those we have shared a table with. We do not do the buffet and to be honest I would not expect the same standard in any buffet as you get in a MDR because of the nature of a buffet.

The beach house and the glass house do produce better food as it is cooked for you and is not mass catering.

I do not think there has been that much change in the 16 years we have cruised with them. We have not had a problem with any meal and I am not aware of any problems from those we have shared a table with.

Really?

Probably one in every three meals myself or partner will send something back to be replaced.

Really?

Probably one in every three meals myself or partner will send something back to be replaced.

Yes Really. You must make wonderful table companions.

Sorry I do not believe you at all. You are clearly exaggerating for effect.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Edited by daiB

Really?

I was like you too, I have to send something back quite a number of times. And for so many of the dishes, I had to have tomato ketchup to cover the lack of taste, or sauce that tasted like they were instant gravy made from granules or the dryness of the meat etc.

Still, I was very nice to the waiters, and they were kind to me too for which I was grateful. They were a friendly and likeable bunch of people who worked hard. It was not their fault their chefs created such poor dishes.

I like the waiters/waitresses because they have a sense of humour. Once, I even joked with one of the waiters, and said, "Can you please give my compliments to the chef? The TOMATO KETCHUP was particularly delicious!" . We both laughed.

Edited by Cahpek

Yes Really. You must make wonderful table companions..

I am sure I would, but I prefer not to share a table as you would in a canteen, so always have a table for two, breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Sorry I do not believe you at all. You are clearly exaggerating for effect.

I wish I was, but unfortunately not.

You may be happy putting up with below par food, but I am not.

When I occasionally​ have a cooked breakfast​, I have learned that it will take at least twice, occasionally three times, and once four times before we end up with something satisfactory.

How hard is it when you order poached eggs, and specifically say "please make sure they are freshly cooked and hot", and then you receive cold eggs that were cooked some time ago and left under the warming lights.

So back they go, to then be replaced with eggs that are hot but rock hard because they have been reheated in the microwave.

So back they go again, and hopefully the third time the kitchen has got the message and serves something edible.

Sorry as someone else has said a joke. I have never come across anyone who has sent back with your regularity and then you do not want to tip the waiters. If the food was as bad as you claim everyone on every cruise would be up in arms. And I do not put up with poor standard of food anywhere.

The biggest part of my forthcoming P&O cruise that I'm fearing are the 4 "black tie" nights. I don't own a suit, and the last time I wore a tux was back in 2005 at the world premiere of the Peter Jackon's King Kong. Since then I've been very much smart casual, but I don't wear ties and I dislike jackets.

Are there alternative dining options during those nights where formal attire is required?

Please remember...you do not have to wear a Tuxedo/Dinner suit for the formal nights/black tie nights, call them what you like, dark suit, shirt and tie complies with the dress codes. That is what I wear, even acceptable on QM2 - Cunard. Next year have a total of 9 'formals' on our 18 and 16 night B2B cruises on Adonia. I am not fussed on getting too dressed up, but the boss, does, so I comply with the orders from 'she who shall be obeyed.':evilsmile:

As for the number of formals, personally 2 every 7 days would do me. But each to their own. Some pax would wear a Tux for breakfast if it was suggested.:D I commend P&O UK for getting rid of the 'jacket nights.'

It is not easy with the packing and baggage allowances either, having to fly from Australia to Europe to get on a decent cruise. Many airlines still have a max 20-23 kg allowance.:mad:

Sorry as someone else has said a joke. I have never come across anyone who has sent back with your regularity and then you do not want to tip the waiters. If the food was as bad as you claim everyone on every cruise would be up in arms. And I do not put up with poor standard of food anywhere.

Obviously you are lucky (or have low standards).

As for others not complaining, I suspect the social pressure of the shared canteen style tables means people are reluctant to cause a fuss and disrupt proceedings.

Finally tipping. You are right I don't think the waiters should receive the bulk of their pay through 'tips' or service charges - do you? I believe in a modern society where people are fairly rewarded for the work they do, and do not rely for their survival on offerings which people deign to hand out.

The staff should simply be paid a proper rate for the job and if someone wants to reward excellent service over and above that full wage that is up to them.

Sometimes Dai you have to ignore the ridiculous comments that people make and just let others judge. What surprises me is that these same people continue to cruise with a company that to them is so bad. More fool them.

Why has this topic changed into one about food standards? I would have thought it would have evolved into the normal row about dress standards with the P&O fashion police in evidence. The original posters question was answered in the first few posts so why all this argument :rolleyes:

Why has this topic changed into one about food standards? I would have thought it would have evolved into the normal row about dress standards with the P&O fashion police in evidence. The original posters question was answered in the first few posts so why all this argument :rolleyes:

Because one poster who claims to have had poor food in a buffet on one ship mentions it every time he posts. I think it is the, if I say something often enough it will become fact, syndrome.

But you are right Dave and I agree with you on formal nights the dress code should apply to the whole ship. As it did when we started cruising.

:)

Because one poster who claims to have had poor food in a buffet on one ship mentions it every time he posts. I think it is the, if I say something often enough it will become fact, syndrome.

But you are right Dave and I agree with you on formal nights the dress code should apply to the whole ship. As it did when we started cruising.

:)

Ha Ha! you can't provoke me Dai, I know about Moritz ;p

Sometimes Dai you have to ignore the ridiculous comments that people make and just let others judge. What surprises me is that these same people continue to cruise with a company that to them is so bad. More fool them.

If you read the posts properly , some of these same people will not continue to cruise with a company who seem to take them for granted, because they felt the food was so bad (at least so often bad/mediocre/inferior). They have decided to sail with other companies - in fact, they have already booked another cruise with another company. How about that?

By the way, it was not just one person mentioning the poor quality of the food on one P&O ship, it was several. And then, there were others too who mentioned the poor quality of food on other ships within the P&O fleet.

Sure, food is subjective, but if quite a number of people seem to come to that conclusion with their experience from different P&O ships , instead of "knocking" these people, shouldn't we instead try and encourage P&O to do better? Or is that too much to expect? After all, if P&O improves (its food quality especially), everyone benefits, both the passengers and the company itself.

It is true that you judge for yourself and do what you want. On same note, the rest of us should have the right to express our views too especially when we feel it is true. Or are we only allowed to mention "glossy" things about P&O and nothing else? And if we don't, that you would try to shoot us? Isn't that equally ridiculous???

It is hoped that we should accept that different posters have different views , and it would be good that we show mutual respect and decency, even if we do not always agree with each other.

Thank you.

Edited by Cahpek

I'll try and bring the topic back to dress and away from the usual moans about food quality. The cruise we've just returned from had two formal nights but there really is no requirement to wear black tie, even if that is what the dress code says. Many people in the dining room wear wearing jackets and ties and this was perfectly acceptable. Standards are slipping though as a number of people removed their jackets at the table and I well remember being asked to put mine back on a few years ago! As has been said, there are alternatives to dressing up for dinner. The buffet may not be as good as the MDR but it's there to cater for those who don't wish to take part in formal dining and is perfectly adequate for all but the biggest of moaners.