Disappointment on Facination Cruise 11/14

babsbcool

Just returned from Facination. We surprised our next door neighbors and showed up on the cruise. Kept it a secret for 5 months! Overall, we had a wonderful time. The disappointment came on day two of our trip. The itinerary was changed prior to leaving from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen. We were offered a full refund if we wanted to cancel. That was okay 'cause we wanted to go to Mexico and that wasn't too much of a change. On day two, after we returned from our visit to Key West, and changed clothes into our bathing suits, we were in the cafe and the announcement came that we were not going to Playa Del Carmen, but to Nassau in the Bahamas. The reason? Ballaster problems which delayed our departure four hours. Having been to Nassau previously, we had no desire to return. Had I known in advance of this we would have cancelled the trip and rescheduled. This is my husband's first vacation in a year and a half. Carnival offered nothing to compensate our change. No onboard credit, no partial refund. The Purser's desk said to call Carnival. We did and they said to see what the ship offers first. We did. Nothing. A phone call back to Carnival left us even more frustrated with Carnival. The rep. said that they "sold cruises, not ports" and "if we wanted to go to a particular port, we should have taken a direct flight to assure we'd get there". Now, I'm sorry, I book my cruises to go to ports of interest. The ports do matter. If not, I'd just book any cruise.

In addition to the itinerary change, my husband and I requested (on two occasions) for our beds to be put together for us. They were, but still as two twins. Requesting they be put together as one bed didn't work. So, we fixed the covers (each night) and were able to sleep together. We didn't have our towel creatures in our cabin each night. Only twice. Our steward didn't leave any ice in our cabin the last day at sea.

I can say though, that the food in the dining room was outstanding. Our waiter Joseph was very good.

Anyway, like I said we had a wonderful time due to the people we were traveling with. I'd cruise again, but, I don't think I will do Carnival. This is our second Carnival cruise and the first one was a little problematic too. Might go back to Royal Carribean or try Norweigen. :cool:

No cruise line will guarantee ports of call. It clearly states in your documents that at anytime the cruise line can change or delete ports of call if the need arises and they owe you no compensation. Changing cruise lines is not the answer as all of the major mass market lines have the same policy. If a person has their heart set on a certain port then they are better off flying down and staying at a resort. Sorry that you didn't make it but that sometime happens.

Carnival offered nothing to compensate our change. No onboard credit, no partial refund. The Purser's desk said to call Carnival. We did and they said to see what the ship offers first. We did. Nothing. A phone call back to Carnival left us even more frustrated with Carnival. The rep. said that they "sold cruises, not ports" and "if we wanted to go to a particular port, we should have taken a direct flight to assure we'd get there". Now, I'm sorry, I book my cruises to go to ports of interest. The ports do matter. If not, I'd just book any cruise.

In addition to the itinerary change, my husband and I requested (on two occasions) for our beds to be put together for us. They were, but still as two twins. Requesting they be put together as one bed didn't work. So, we fixed the covers (each night) and were able to sleep together. We didn't have our towel creatures in our cabin each night. Only twice. Our steward didn't leave any ice in our cabin the last day at sea.

I can say though, that the food in the dining room was outstanding. Our waiter Joseph was very good.

Anyway, like I said we had a wonderful time due to the people we were traveling with. I'd cruise again, but, I don't think I will do Carnival. This is our second Carnival cruise and the first one was a little problematic too. Might go back to Royal Carribean or try Norweigen. :cool:

Read you cruise passage contract. RCI and NCL don't guarantee ports either. No cruiseline does.

I am sorry you were disappointed because I would be upset to go to Nassau if I had planned on Mexico. But as Gator stated, CCL has the right to change ports at any time. If they are susbituting a port, they are not obligated to give you compensation. Sorry, this information is in your documents...but I can understand your frustration. I think CS at CCL did a poor job of explaining the facts to you.

When you did not receive your ice on the last day, did you try to call your steward? The number should be listed by the phone. Perhaps it was an oversight on his part and perhaps not intentional.

I'm sorry you were looking forward to towel animals each evening. Though I don't worry about it, a lot of people look forward to this.

And I may be wrong, but I think all the beds in the regular staterooms are twins that have to be put together to be made into a full bed. Did you have a suite?

I'm sorry you did not have the time you expected. Perhaps RCI and NCL are more suited for you.

Everyone is always quoting what is in your cruise documents. But of course you don't get those documents until you've made your final payment. If you don't like what's in there do you get a full refund? Under contract law, a contract is only binding if there's a clear agreement between two parties. How can you have a clear agreement if you've never seen the contract?

Everyone is always quoting what is in your cruise documents. But of course you don't get those documents until you've made your final payment. If you don't like what's in there do you get a full refund? Under contract law, a contract is only binding if there's a clear agreement between two parties. How can you have a clear agreement if you've never seen the contract?

A copy of the cruise passage contract is available for viewing on Carnival's website under "Legal."

Caveat emptor.

Check the cruise line brochures or their websites. It is all spelled out there also. One reason why a good TA can be of great value to some cruisers. Especially ones that are new to cruising.

Here is the link for you, easily found by anyone who takes a minute or two to look for it on the website.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

Here too, is the stated policy on ports, should not be a surprise to anyone who frequents these boards.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/port_cancellation_policy.aspx

All Carnival brochures and the website have everything very clearly spelled out. You can read all this before you book a cruise. No surprises.

That's not how it works. You have to be provided a copy of the contract, not have to go look for it, or ask for it. Carnival PVP didn't mention a contract. Bet no other TA does either. When you purchase something, you're not bound by a contract you didn't see at the time of purchase.

I'll bet there hasn't been any attorneys who had their cruise change and didn't get a credit when it was requested.

You're assuming everyone is supposed to use a computer to find out the terms and conditions they are agreeing to. Even today, not everyone is computer savy and aren't required to be.

That's not how it works. You have to be provided a copy of the contract, not have to go look for it, or ask for it. Carnival PVP didn't mention a contract. Bet no other TA does either. When you purchase something, you're not bound by a contract you didn't see at the time of purchase.

I'll bet there hasn't been any attorneys who had their cruise change and didn't get a credit when it was requested.

You're assuming everyone is supposed to use a computer to find out the terms and conditions they are agreeing to. Even today, not everyone is computer savy and aren't required to be.

Caveat Emptor - the information is available for the customer to read before they commit to the purchase, there decision not to fully research the full cost.

To the OP: We went through the same sort of circumstance on the Glory last year. I do understand your disappointment and I do sympathize. I certainly hope your fellow passangers didn't to there best to ruin everyones experience like happened on our cruise. :(

I completely disagree with you, and I think it's ludicrous to expect compensation for a change in itinerary. If you lose a port completely, sure, I can see wanting that $25 pp onboard credit - but if they take you somewhere else, you have no right to expect compensation.

When you go shopping at Target, Wal Mart, etc, their return policy is usually printed on the back of the receipt, and posted in the customer service area - they don't hand you the information when you walk in the door. Yet you are expected to familiarize yourself with their policy if you intend to make a purchase - trying to return something, say, without a receipt and saying you didn't see the policy is NOT going to make a difference. SOME burden must be placed on the consumer - you can't expect to be spoonfed every last detail each time you make a purchase. Do the research before you buy - it's just not that difficult to do so.

Not everyone needs to have a computer to read Carnival's policy on changes in itinerary, they can also read it in their brochure under Things to know before you go.

I suggest that you try to bring a lawsuit against a cruise line. First of all you will have to file in Dade County. Second, the cruise lines have their rear ends covered from A to Z. The only thing that you or anyone else will do is give an attorney a little more income for the year.

Not everyone needs to have a computer to read Carnival's policy on changes in itinerary, they can also read it in their brochure under Things to know before you go.

As I said, you don't receive that until after final payment. So if there's something you don't agree to can you cancel and get a full refund? I've previously requested that brochure be mailed to me 2 different times on Carnival's web site, and never received it.

I'm not talking about me, I'm talking about people in general who don't read cruisecritics and don't use the internet. There's still no law requiring that customers must go to the web site.

As I said, you don't receive that until after final payment. So if there's something you don't agree to can you cancel and get a full refund? I've previously requested that brochure be mailed to me 2 different times on Carnival's web site, and never received it.

I'm not talking about me, I'm talking about people in general who don't read cruisecritics and don't use the internet. There's still no law requiring that customers must go to the web site.

You can also pick up a brochure from any travel agent. The information is readily available - if you choose not to do your research, then it's really your own fault. I'm sure there are MANY cases where people call and book a cruise without having any information whatsoever about what they're getting into. It may or may not work out okay for them, but there's just NO excuse these days for NOT having all the facts before you make ANY major purchase.

I think it might also be on the receipt you get from Carnival (when you book direct with them) but I can't seem to find an old receipt. I might be wrong though.

Anyone out there have a payment receipt from Carnival that they can check?

I am an attorney and I can assure you that the contract is fully legal and binding. It is the "Contract of Carriage" and regardless of what you see on TV that is what governs the relationship of the shipping line and the passengers. Therefore, no compensation for port changes.

Think about it - the cruise lines would be bust in a week if they had to refund money everytime weather, mechanical difficulty, political unrest or whatever caused an itinerary change.

At least you went to a warm port of call. I know someone whose Bermuda cruise out of NY ended up in Canada in cold rain without any warm clothes to wear.

We loved the Fascination a few years ago. It was a great value for the money. I find it annoying when you pay top dollar for a ten night cruise and come home upset as we did sailing RCCL from Hawaii to Ensenada in March. We complained to them but got nothing but a survey form to complete. Not even a free dinner voucher I requested as compensation to use at Portofinos or Chops on our RCCL cruise last month. We are sailing Carnival Triumph in February and NCL Star in 2007. I enjoy taking other cruiselines to see and compare. I really enjoy Norwegian freestyle dining.

Leafpeeper, what happened on that cruise to upset you?

Also: We did the Fascination a few years ago, the 4 day out of Miami, and LOVED it. What a great bargain! THe crew and staff were incredibly friendly.

Tip for anyone going: The best/secret place to eat outside is to go to the aft of the ship from the buffet dining room next to the pool, I forget the name) - there is a small door on each side aft, one by the pizza bar, one by the real bar, and 2 lovely outdoor semi private dining areas. They don't get "discovered" by the hoi poloi until day 3 usually so nice, peaceful dining overlooking the wake.

We surprised our next door neighbors and showed up on the cruise. Kept it a secret for 5 months!

My question would be - Were your neighbors happy to see you?! Did they invite you along and at first you weren't able to go? Then things changed and you were?? Just curious :rolleyes: :)

Consider yourself lucky you got to go to Nassau. You could have just got an additional sea day.

This happened to me twice. Once on Princess and once on NCL. It happens on all the cruise lines not just Carnival. Just got to go with the flow.

We were on the Fascination Dec '04 and they also changed our itinerary we were supposed to go to Cozumel after we left key west but were told a passenger was ill and we had to go back to key west to let them off. (rumor was they refused air transport) Instead of going to Cozumel we went to Nassau. It didnt bother us since we are from Canada and have never been there, but since it was a 4 day there were alot of people from florida that have been to nassua a few times. One teenager my daughter met while on the cruise lived in naussa so they were cruising home. They ended up getting a full discount on thier cruise they got off the ship in nassua and cancelled thier flight home from miami for the next day. We also had the problem with the beds, we called and had them put together but they were made up as two twin beds not one king. The second night they had it fixed though. Oh well at least we got away and had a great time. Cant wait to get away again in Feb.

I think it might also be on the receipt you get from Carnival (when you book direct with them) but I can't seem to find an old receipt. I might be wrong though.

Anyone out there have a payment receipt from Carnival that they can check?

My receipt has "Please review the General Information Section of the brochure for Passport Data, Vacation Protection Plan coverage and cancellation policies. It's listed under "ADDITONAL NOTES.

I truly don't believe ANY cruiseline wishes to change their itinerary for any reason. They have more than learned this irritates SOME people. I'm sure all cruise contracts have evolved over the years just from lessons learned.

But when they have to change, they will. It's as simple as that. It's just a fact of cruising. There's plenty to do in any port.

If I end up in Nassau again, I'm heading right to my secret haven:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/403621087/403648485YIZOLr

Archived