Alaska Cruise - Getting to Vancouver

We splurged and stayed at the Pan Pacific, and ate at the Cactus Club. Recommend both highly! And Stanley Park was gorgeous. Next time we plan to stay at least 2 full days in Vancouver. Fell in love with the city.

And we flew thru Seattle. As others have mentioned, lots of connecting flights at reasonable times. Just your first flight would have to be at a brutally early time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For us it usually costs at least $200 extra to fly into Vancouver, so we fly into Seattle and drive. But you do have to factor in rental car costs, parking fees and time. One trip we flew in a couple of days early, took the Black Ball ferry over to Victoria and then the BC Ferry through the islands. While we really enjoy Vancouver, this was a great trip!

We also flew into Seattle and spent 3 days there and then took the Amtrak Cascades train up the coast to Vancouver. Train leaves 7:45am and arrives Vancouver at 11:45am. We did the business class seats that are bigger and include priority board and exiting. It was a cheap taxi fare from the train station in Vancouver to our hotel. There were also people going directly to ships, but that is too much of a risk in my opinion. I would come in at least day before just in case train is delayed.

We stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle in Vancouver. Beautiful hotel with views of the harbor.

There were also people going directly to ships, but that is too much of a risk in my opinion. I would come in at least day before just in case train is delayed.

Highly agreed, no way I would come in day of. On one of our trips a couple in our group didn't have their luggage make it off the plane. Luckily we went in three days early so it gave them time to have it show up and get delivered to the hotel. Had it not been for that we were at sea the first two days and they wouldn't have gotten their luggage until day three.

I agree that flying into Seattle might be a better overall idea. I just have never tried to get from Seattle to Vancouver. The train sounds way cool. We did drive our Harley from Vancouver to Seattle and the border crossing took forever.

Bite the bullet and take a taxi to a downtown Vancouver hotel near the port. I arrived at night and stayed in an airport hotel. The next day, thankfully I had a great taxi driver who kept me entertained, the city was bustling and traffic was impacted by road work, etc. It took quite a while to get to the ship. Also- the terminal sucks. Sorry Vancouver, but there is nothing to entertain passengers waiting to board. Few chairs, a kiosk with candy and bags of chips. LONG WAITS to get through customs. Yes- they do US customs in Vancouver. Don't bother getting there before 11 AM.

We also flew into Seattle and spent 3 days there and then took the Amtrak Cascades train up the coast to Vancouver. Train leaves 7:45am and arrives Vancouver at 11:45am. We did the business class seats that are bigger and include priority board and exiting. It was a cheap taxi fare from the train station in Vancouver to our hotel. There were also people going directly to ships, but that is too much of a risk in my opinion. I would come in at least day before just in case train is delayed.

We stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle in Vancouver. Beautiful hotel with views of the harbor.

We did this too!! The train ride was nice. I also recommend the Pan and the Fairmont. When e flew home our flight left at 5am!!! It was so nice just being able to walk downstairs and check in for the flight. The pan was great too for the same reason, like the other poster said they will take your bags to the ship for you!!!

Some great info so far... may I add a few pointers:

The Skytrain from downtown Vancouver to the Airport is different than the other lines in that the cars are built for travelers, they are wider with more room for luggage. Also note the cost is higher as the Vancouver Airpoirt tax is added to the 2 zone fare price. Here is a full review with photos of Vancouver Skytrain from Vancouver airport to downtown.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47847901&highlight=skytrain#post47847901

If you are getting in late at night (ie. midnight) I strongly urge you to stay one night at the Fairmont at the Airport. It's a beautiful hotel with fantastic rooms, you roll your luggage through a breezeway and bam... you're at check-in. So very easy. If you can get to Vancouver before late night (which you should easily be able to do from FLL or MIA with 3 hours time zone change), then I strongly urge you to take taxi (not skytrain) to downtown hotel of choice. You can then wake in the morning and be right in the middle of the city, walk to everything you wish to do. Remember, if you stay at the Fairmont one night, then you cannot check in to the new hotel until 3pm for example... there's also the fact that you "waste" the morning transferring to downtown.

Lastly, It was already mentioned that if it is a gorgeous sunny day, I personally believe a day trip up to Capilano Suspension Bridge and especially up Grouse Mountain is a must! There is a ticket booth and shuttle service for this excursion right outside the cruise pier at Canada place hourly bus heading up there. Less expensive would be beautiful Stanley Park (hop on hop off trolley also available around the city and Stanley Park) and walking around the city. To Eat? Cactus Club or Cardero's on the water have excellent food and great views (both are walking distance from the cruise pier area). Use google images and tripadvisor to quickly look up these areas/restaurants and you will quickly determine whether they are good for you or not.

Have a great cruise! :p

Hoopster nailed it perfectly. I second Cardaros on the water front. When we stay in Vancouver we stay at the Westin Bayshore Tower and stroll over to Cadaros for dinner. After supper we would stroll along the water side walkways and sit on the benches and watch the world go by. Between cyclists, walkers, boats, float planes and cruise ships there was no shortage of things to see. A few exotic cars as well.

We ate at Cardaros two times during our honeymoon in July 2004 and I can still remember the meals today. Hoopster, now I'm hungry. :D

DH works for SWA so we have flown into Seattle and rented a car and also took the train. The train ride was beautiful. We then took the light rail from the train station to Canada Place.

I would love to get an idea of where to go, stay, eat, etc in vancouver! I want to fly in on wed night so we have all day thurs and the morning on friday to explore what i heard is a beautiful city. Think its better to stay at a hotel near airport first night then downtown thurs night?

I would go right into the hotel where you'll be staying. The extra half hour at night is worth being able to sleep in, unpack, and have your room instead of having to store your bags at the new hotel.

Currently have flight mia to van via dallas for 350 total for 2 of us.

Just really deciding if we should stay at a hotel near airport or not til cruise

Grins later post it sounds like you changed flights. That was an amazing price and I would have kept it. I love the train but it is a pain.

If stay at the downtown Vancouver hotel not at the airport, since you're spending a few days.

Is the SkyTrain annoying with bags? I am assuming we will have 2 big bags, a little rolly bag, and a backpack...

I disliked the skytrain with bags.

Flying mia to sea early morning wed. Looking to take train in evening to vancouver. How does it work with customs on train? Anything special? Does train drop you off in downtown?

Crying that you changed your incredibly priced flight.

SeaTac is at minimum half an hour south of downtown Seattle. Time to kill before getting to Amtrak. Get on the train and enjoy your ride (check the Amtrak site each day three days out because if there's a landslide (not even a big one) on or near the tracks they close the tracks for 72 hours and you'll be taking a bus chartered by Amtrak). The station is neat BC place so you'll be cabbing it to your hotel.

Amtrak site has lots of info, and just looking at google maps will help you get your bearings.

I'm not an advocate for staying at Canada Place's hotels. Downtown Vancouver is small and walkable, and we never feel the need to empty the pocketbooks for utter proximity to the ship.

We like Sutton Place (or their connected condo building Le Grande Residence), Listel Hotel... If you do want a splurge check out Club level at the Hyatt Regency. 8 minutes walk from Cactus Club and a couple more to the ships, gentle downhill slope.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A few pics to get you in the Vancouver travel mode. Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain. In looking at my pics I didn't find and good ones of the waterfront. They must be somewhere.

e4c64e1d83bc10adb03067c290a86a94.jpg

f22de5a377b895bb7d4d46c2c05f4174.jpg

c9fecbb81b51217a304523dee72793f4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Flying mia to sea early morning wed. Looking to take train in evening to vancouver. How does it work with customs on train? Anything special? Does train drop you off in downtown?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Customs at the train station is very easy. They let the business class cars off first, luggage is lined up along a fence. You grab your luggage and then get in line for customs. You hand over your customs form that they give you on the train. Do not bring any meat or fruit. If you have any with you, eat it on the train. There were four customs agents working the time we went through. It was very quick, not a big deal.

The train station was a very short ride to our hotel, Marriott Pinnacle If I remember correctly, it was only a $7 cab ride.

Make sure when you book through the Amtrak Cascades site that you book one of the trains, there are other routes that are buses. We got a AAA discount too and there was free wifi until you reach the Canadian border. Not sure if they are still doing the free wifi or not..

Just remember that things will appear much more expensive in Vancouver compared to Florida (or anywhere else for that matter). You will benefit from the exchange rate in a big way.

Regarding flights.. you have a few options. American flies via Dallas which is a wonderful airport in my opinion. It was always my preferred route. All the airlines have different hubs. United usually goes through Chicago...avoid in winter months for obvious reasons. Delta sometimes goes through Minneapolis. There are many routes. Years ago there was a direct from Miami to Vancouver but it only lasted a year or two. That was wonderful while it lasted. The three hour time difference works against you and there is no avoiding arriving late.

Be careful about landing in Seattle. It will save you plenty on the flight but to rent a car is a fortune if you plan on crossing the border with it. You are after all dropping it off in a different country.