Mini suite with balcony vs Family Suite without balcony. Cannot Decide...help?!

tlkjmac

Title says it all. Here are my pros and cons...if anyone has an opinion, I'd love to hear it.

Mini suite Pros: We love having a balcony, have never cruised without one. Available mid ship. The family suite is forward and I'm nervous because I am prone to seasickness and have told midship is better. This mini suite is mid ship and a nice quiet location.

Family suite Pros: Almost twice as big. We are a family of 4 adults so this matters. First on and off privileges at ports (might be nice, I think we tender in many ports). Wall to wall window but no balcony :( We do get a butler which sounds fun and novel but note sure I want to spend more to tip the butler (although of course i would tip appropriately if we stayed in this suite).

Price is almost the same. We don't drink alcohol so free drinks and such don't matter in our decision. This is a 7 day Greek isle cruise on the Star.

Thank you.

With 4 adults in one room I would definitely get the larger suite! I have slept (when I was in my late 20's and I am petite) on the pull out couch in a mini suite on the star. It was just me on it and it was bad. It would have been absolutely miserable if I had been trying to share it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We stayed in one of those same family suites on the Dawn in 2013. It was the best cabin ever! We didn't miss the balcony at all as we were a few steps from the pool deck. My son and his girlfriend used the butler to serve them dinner in the room a couple of times. We used her when we had our friends over on a rainy night. She brought beer and drinks and also burgers from the Blue Lagoon. It was so much fun and she was great. As a side note, it had the best bathroom! We stayed in a mini suite on the Breakaway. Although the bathroom was nice, there was no comparison between the 2 cabins.

An inside "suite"? I thought all the suites had balconies.

I'd still go with the minisuite. Being stuck in a windowless room would freak me out. Being able to wake up, slide open the door and catch the sea air...or watch the sunset in privacy, is worth way more than a slightly nicer breakfast and lunch option.

An inside "suite"? I thought all the suites had balconies.

I'd still go with the minisuite. Being stuck in a windowless room would freak me out. Being able to wake up, slide open the door and catch the sea air...or watch the sunset in privacy, is worth way more than a slightly nicer breakfast and lunch option.

Nope. These were converted into suites in a drydock from previous common area. They have floor to ceiling windows. Heard they are nice!!! And washy, there is so much more than b & l.

Op: S u i t e!!! Absolutely. No contest!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did out first family suite with 5 adults in January. Sooo glad we had the family suite. We had lots of room and the double sinks came in handy too. Never had motion issues in the suite. The early boarding, private breakfast and lunch areas were great as well. Really enjoyed our afternoon snacks from our Butler and our consierge went above and beyond for our family!

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Family suite for sure! Try to avoid 12530 and 12030, those two cabins are a different shape and only accommodate 4 people instead of six -they don't have the Pullman bed (which would be preferable for the second two adults). The pull out couch is much less desirable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Family suite for sure! Try to avoid 12530 and 12030, those two cabins are a different shape and only accommodate 4 people instead of six -they don't have the Pullman bed (which would be preferable for the second two adults). The pull out couch is much less desirable.

On the NCL DAWN

Try to avoid 12530 and 12030, those two cabins are a different shape

These have a diagonal half balcony and convertible couch suitable for two very small adults !

Also avoid adjacent cabins 12532 and 12032 (Handicap) cabins with no bathroom enclosure.

BUT if you want fresh air - leave your cabin go one deck up to deck 13 and with a few stairs

here and there you have the whole deck to walk around.

On the NCL STAR these cabins do not have a balcony but are the full double wide cabin suites.

Given the choice for few dollars more I would take the Family Suite SJ class over the Mini-suite class M !

Lordy you are comparing a single wide cabin to full double wide cabin ! Space is Prime !

4 adults in a mini would be tight. We were in our 3rd SJ Family suite on the Star in Feb. The large open floor plan and big bathroom are fantastic. As already noted, be sure to select one with the murphy bed. I think the Murphy bed is small for 2 adults, but one adult on the Murphy and 1 on the sofa would work. Also, the Queen bed no longer separates. The room steward can bring in additional mattresses or toppers for the sofa sleeper and Murphy bed.

Biggest plus for us of the suite is having breakfast in the room on port days. There is a table and chairs for 4.

Have you looked into the 2 bedroom family suites? They have 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms plus a balcony.

Thank you so much! I never noticed the symbols next to the rooms and almost went with 12530. I chose one that accommodates 6 instead because of your post.

Remember that a mini-suite is NOT a suite by any means, you do not get the suite benefits. We, 2 of us, were in a family suite and we loved it; I'm sure that 4 would also love it. Six adults would get in each others way. Glad to hear you took the suite.

Great choice. And just because you don't drink alcohol doesn't mean you can't enjoy that UBP. I drink myself silly on those virgin pina coladas. And a virgin mudslide is always good when you are in the mood for something with chocolate and ice cream. Be adventurous. Have a great trip. We love the older ships. Well actually we love all the ships!

I went with the family suite:)

Thank you all for your advice.

You'll love it! We did 4 adults (2 parents/2 adult kids) in 12018 on the Star for the Baltic Capitals and Norway Fjords. The floor to ceiling windows are awesome, the space size is fantasic. You can close off each bed with curtains. It's a great layout. Nice large bathroom and a small 4 person dining table. You get snacks each evening, a Lavazza coffee machine, fruit bowl - great location, just stay out from under the jogging track.

You'll love it! We did 4 adults (2 parents/2 adult kids) in 12018 on the Star for the Baltic Capitals and Norway Fjords. The floor to ceiling windows are awesome, the space size is fantasic. You can close off each bed with curtains. It's a great layout. Nice large bathroom and a small 4 person dining table. You get snacks each evening, a Lavazza coffee machine, fruit bowl - great location, just stay out from under the jogging track.

However if you have a good Concierge and/or Hotel Director they will sort out anyone who is a problem using the jogging track "out of hours"

Family Suite for sure! The whole floor plan is more wide open and you spend a lot less time having someone tuck in between the bed and the wall so someone can walk by to the balcony. And it is a suite. We love the suite perks of the special restaurant for breakfast and lunch, butler snacks, and priority boarding. Oh, and the suite's captains reception is great, too.