How is the entertainment now?

jabrown40

You'll find a pianist in Martinis from cocktail hour straight through until closing, which is Midnight or 1AM, depending on the state of the punters.

oceania-cruises-riviera-martini-marina-gallery.jpg

As you can see from the Currents attached earlier, the break of the Pianist in Martinis was THREE HOURS. That is pretty far from continuous. And other venues were likewise silent during the show, and for a 45 minute period in the early evening.

As you can see from the Currents attached earlier, the break of the Pianist in Martinis was THREE HOURS. That is pretty far from continuous. And other venues were likewise silent during the show, and for a 45 minute period in the early evening.

b_233423.jpg

Your math is screwy (see above).

The longest break which the Pianist had in the posted Currents schedule was from 8:30 until 10:15, which would give it a duration of 1 hour and 45 minutes, NOT 3 hours.

During that period, Name That Tune, at which the Pianist performed, was held starting at 8:45.

The lack of piano time is the evening is an annoyance for us too. We enjoy relaxing with a drink and music before going into dinner in the MDR. Last year there was a brief window of music which ended about 7:00. We found out the 'break" lasted two or so hours. We like Oceania's low-key, classy ambiance, but this is an area for improvement. We gave our feedback and I hope others will too.

b_233423.jpg

Your math is screwy (see above).

The longest break which the Pianist had in the posted Currents schedule was from 8:30 until 10:15, which would give it a duration of 1 hour and 45 minutes, NOT 3 hours.

During that period, Name That Tune, at which the Pianist performed, was held starting at 8:45.

The Currents initially posted here, in post #6, showed the music ending 7:15 and starting again at 10:15. Not sure how my math is "screwy" as no matter how many times I look at it, it still comes to 3 hours. That is the schedule we had on our recent cruise. I did mention that issue to Oceania in the comments card and received a "screwy" reply that the y were happy my comment was addressed and corrected during the cruise. It wasn't.

Recently returned from Marina. While attendance was good and others did seem to enjoy the Entertainment Teams production shows I preferred past cast and productions better. Still okay and I am not expecting big production numbers or high-priced 'named' cast members. Lots of eager, working hard to please energy.

Two other outside entertainers. One was a heavily tanned, older male crooner who had a knack to sound like, not an impersonation, of singers songs they made famous. Surprisingly his Tom Jones rendition was particularly good. Speaking with others on the cruise others found it to be corny and 'old-fashioned' but I quite enjoyed the rather iconic solo singer Vegas-like performance. In fact was disappointed that was not able to see his second show due to specialty restaurant reservation time. Some audience members got up and left our way through the show. In fact, at every show at least a few audience members left. Perhaps they had just too much fun for the day.

The other was a duo that performed magic and ballroom dancing. Their ballroom dancing was excellent.

I personally enjoyed the piano player in Martinis although she did not attract a great following. I think the design of Martinis on the R ships is much better and more conducive to a 'piano bar' atmosphere with name that tune and sing alongs.

A real high point though and a big surprise was the entertainment each evening in Horizons. They really went to a lot of effort to draw a crowd to this normally sleepy in the evening venue. 10:30 PM to 11:30 PM happy hour plus live music, sometimes a cabaret type show from one of the Entertainment Team and the Ardor band who also played many times on pool deck. They were in excellent band. Even after the end of happy hour more folks stayed behind and actually got up and danced to the band than I have seen on any other O cruise. We had a great time several evenings. A tip of the hat to O and the CD for the effort to force us to enjoy ourselves :)

The string Quartet was also very good and we ran into them playing several times. Including periods during the dinner perioid rather than just before.

I know from reading previous posts on this thread that some people bemoan that live music is not played continuously throughout the evening but I certainly did not miss this. In fact, there are times when I prefer 'canned' music (O has improved their playlist too) because it is better for cocktail conversation as I do not like to interrupt a performance.

So overall, high marks from me.

Currently on Insignia. One noticeable change is there there is no longer a pair of Russian or Ukrainian dancers that have always been part of the entertainment group. Instead it is a group of 6 singers and dancers.

The overall quality has probably gone up a notch but, of course, it will vary from ship to ship as not all groups are of equal talent.

The bottom line as I see is that people who didn't much care for O's entertainment before will continue to feel the same way. Conversely, those that have enjoyed it before will continue to enjoy it again.

We are new to Oceania and still trying to understand the "ship Life". It looks like there are some smaller ships (684 passengers) and a few larger ones (1250 passengers). Is there a difference between the two sizes when it comes to entertainment?

The only Currents we have seen came from the Marina (a bigger ship). The list of activities seems to be more than adequate. Both in quantity and in length of hours during the day and night.

We are interested in sailing on the Insignia in August/September. Are the Marina Currents similar in nature to entertainment available on the smaller ships?

Ray

We are new to Oceania and still trying to understand the "ship Life". It looks like there are some smaller ships (684 passengers) and a few larger ones (1250 passengers). Is there a difference between the two sizes when it comes to entertainment?

The only Currents we have seen came from the Marina (a bigger ship). The list of activities seems to be more than adequate. Both in quantity and in length of hours during the day and night.

We are interested in sailing on the Insignia in August/September. Are the Marina Currents similar in nature to entertainment available on the smaller ships?

Ray

I would say they are pretty similar

on another thread someone posted a link to some CURRENTS

scroll down there are a few for the R ships

http://www.1mpages.com/CruiseDailyBulletins.html

I would say they are pretty similar

on another thread someone posted a link to some CURRENTS

scroll down there are a few for the R ships

http://www.1mpages.com/CruiseDailyBulletins.html

Thank you so much. That is exactly what I was looking for. You are right, both category of ships are quite similar in their entertainment schedules...Thanks for sharing.

Ray

Ray

They are very similar.

As Marina/Riviera have a larger stage, the entertainers number 8 instead of 6 - otherwise much the same.