Villefranche

RCI newbie

Can someone advise please if a train runs from Villefranche to Monaco or if we change at Nice? We have decided we are doing this trip on our own as been before on train from Nice so from memory, it isn't very far at all.

Guess a little geography lesson (and train line info) is called for:). The Port of Villefranche (which is a tender port) lies a few miles east of Nice....between Nice and Monte Carlo. There is a single train line that spans the entire coast and can be used to get back and forth to any place from Cannes (to the West) to Menton (to the East). The train (it is a regional commuter-like train called the TER) is a no reservation operation. You simply buy your ticket (from a machine, a ticket window (if there is one at the station) or from the Conductor. From Villefranche if you grab the east bound train (looking inland it goes from left to right) you will have stops at a few places like Eze sur Mer (not to be confused with Eze Village) and Monte Carlo. If you go west bound your first stop will be Nice and then the train goes on to places like Antibes and Cannes.

There are also several bus lines (the most popular is the #100) that run along the coastal road (Lower Corniche) between Nice and Monte Carlo. The buses run with more frequency then the trains and we think they offer more to see along the route (the train spends a lot of time in tunnels). Both the bus stop and train station are a short walk (no more then 10 min) from the Villefranche pier. Another advantage of the bus is that the bus stops at more places....which are often more convenient then the train stations. So one should do a little research.

Hank

Guess a little geography lesson (and train line info) is called for:). The Port of Villefranche (which is a tender port) lies a few miles east of Nice....between Nice and Monte Carlo. There is a single train line that spans the entire coast and can be used to get back and forth to any place from Cannes (to the West) to Menton (to the East). The train (it is a regional commuter-like train called the TER) is a no reservation operation. You simply buy your ticket (from a machine, a ticket window (if there is one at the station) or from the Conductor. From Villefranche if you grab the east bound train (looking inland it goes from left to right) you will have stops at a few places like Eze sur Mer (not to be confused with Eze Village) and Monte Carlo. If you go west bound your first stop will be Nice and then the train goes on to places like Antibes and Cannes.

There are also several bus lines (the most popular is the #100) that run along the coastal road (Lower Corniche) between Nice and Monte Carlo. The buses run with more frequency then the trains and we think they offer more to see along the route (the train spends a lot of time in tunnels). Both the bus stop and train station are a short walk (no more then 10 min) from the Villefranche pier. Another advantage of the bus is that the bus stops at more places....which are often more convenient then the train stations. So one should do a little research.

Hank

SPOT ON!

Only perhaps to say that the train station in Villefranche is high above the village and it's a pretty steep drag up stairs. Ticket window in Villefranche station seems to be closed more often than it is open. It is advisable to have coins for the ticket vending machines. I remember some machines rejecting credit cards. I think they only take chip-and-PIN type cards

It's been a while, but I recall taking the train direct from Villefranche to Monaco back in the early '60's, after attending a C.O. U.S. Sixth Fleet change of command ceremony on board USS Des Moines, which was then the Sixth Fleet flagship - home ported in Villefranche, until relieved by USS Springfield - which was later shifted to Naples - much to everyone's dismay.

SPOT ON!

Only perhaps to say that the train station in Villefranche is high above the village and it's a pretty steep drag up stairs. Ticket window in Villefranche station seems to be closed more often than it is open. It is advisable to have coins for the ticket vending machines. I remember some machines rejecting credit cards. I think they only take chip-and-PIN type cards

Thanks for the replies and comments although I don't think any sarcasm was called for?!!! I have not visited Monaco before from a cruise port ok! Yes I am aware this is a tender and that the station is above sea level! Simple directions from A-B would have been sufficient, thank you....oh and yes, I have done some research and train tickets can indeed be pre booked incase of the kiosk being un-manned!

Thanks for the replies and comments although I don't think any sarcasm was called for?!!! I have not visited Monaco before from a cruise port ok! Yes I am aware this is a tender and that the station is above sea level! Simple directions from A-B would have been sufficient, thank you....oh and yes, I have done some research and train tickets can indeed be pre booked incase of the kiosk being un-manned!

Pre booking a train ticket on those TER trains would be akin to pre booking a NYC subway ticket :). But each to their own :). Getting up to the station is not too difficult as long as your capable of walking up a long flight of stairs. If you have a bicycle,,,and can carry it up the steps,,,,you can also take that on the train (actually saw a cruise passenger do this).

Hank

We took the train to Monte Carlo on our 2008 trip and our Feb 2016 trip. We bought the tickets from the booth as we planned to go to Nice but missed the train. I think the ride was 15-20 minutes. The train station in Monte Carlo was one of the cleanest that I can remember.

It was a bit of a hike to the palace and harbour area.