Question about appropriate clothes for Alaska in May

Randi S.

I could use some advice. I'm Assuming it will be too cool for shorts at any time. I know layers are recommended. Other than packing jeans, would running/jogging suits be appropriate? How about white slacks and capris?

Thanks for your help.

Randi

As you said, layers, layers, layers! The weather in May can go either way and on my Alaska cruise, it was warmer than expected. I ended up taking the flannel liner out of my warm jacket.

I took long and short sleeve shirts with a shell type tee to go underneath. I also took black knit pants and hooded zipper jacket (guess you could call it a jogging outfit) and wore that hooded top more than my jacket. I did need the jacket for cruising in fjords to be up on deck late afternoon.

I did not take jeans only because I can pack 2 or 3 cotton twill pants to one pair of jeans, I never travel with jeans to save on suitcase space. A nylon windbreaker is ideal, too, and one of those folding rain poncho deals just in case.

You have to consider your own comfort level, some people get cold easier than others. I also recommend some sort of head gear whatever you prefer, I'm big on ear muffs. Gloves, too if you are going to be out on deck late afternoon, evening.

I'd take some capris, to wear onboard for sea days and it may be warmer than you expect at some of the ports. Hope this helps out some!

I was in Alaska the first week in June this year. It was hot, hot and hotter. Even in the Arctic Circle it was hot. The long sun hours means it doesn't cool off much at 'night' which is so short. That said, I mainly wore light weight knit pants and carried a sweater, as the shady places are cooler. We did an inland tour (Holland America) and the hotels in the interior do not have a/c so sleeping was tough. They did provide fans.

Also, the areas around the glaciers, either on the ship or land, are cooler and a windbreaker is perfect. Four years ago, on RCCL, we needed the hot chocolate when we were around the glaciers.

I guess the answer is "be prepared" as it changes. Have fun!

According to the locals, residents of Ketchican are the largest per capita sunglass buyers in the world. Why on earth there?

Well, the sun shines so seldom, when it does, everyone says - "Where the hell did I put my sunglasses?" and then they have to go out and buy another pair! So bring sunglasses!

Seriously, we did a cruise/tour of Alaska with four land days in late May. It was very warm in Fairbanks and Denali. The coldest part of the trip is when you go in to see the glaciers. But I was comfortable with khaki twill pants,a light, but good cashmere sweater, and a waterproof (not water resistant) jacket. I also wore mittens with a finger slot so I could use my camera. And arm headgear is important. If you head is warm, the rest of you can stand a little chill. Doing Alaska in May is smart, though. The river ice does not break up until late May and there will not be enough time for the mosquitos and no-see-ums to hatch. The downside is that it is prior to the great salmon runs.

The truth is you never know in Alaska regardless of the time of the cruise. We've been in every month and I would say most of the time we have had good weather, but there have been a few really cold days and a few very warm days. Layering is the key and always be prepared for rain.

We did the inside passage the first week of May, 2003 and had 50-60 degree sunny weather. Since jeans are so heavy, we made do w/jogging suits, twill pants and knit tops, a couple of sweatshirts that we bought there. Our jackets were spring/fall weight and we did layer. I brought a cheap pair of knit gloves for the visit to Mendenhall glacier but we did not actually walk on it. I'm sure it's a lot colder if you take the excursion that puts you right on the glacier.

Be prepared for rain. All the merchants we spoke with expressed surprise at the nice weather we were having! The ship will have a large container of umbrellas as you disembark at each port if you need it. May was a good time to go as there were not a lot of other ships there at that time. These towns are small and I'm sure the cruise ship passengers overwhelm them when they arrive.

We did Alaska 5/22-5/29/05. We had great weather, but I was cold. I think it's because we live in Florida. I brought sweatshirts, a light jacket and jeans. I ended up buying a fleece jacket onboard. My husband, on the other hand, was fine with just a sweatshirt and light jacket. Neither of us wore gloves nor did anyone else in our group.

We would go to Alaska again in a heartbeat. At the beginning of the season you might miss some things, ie salmon, but you see the ice breaking up that you wouldn't see. I guess each week has special viewings. Be sure to take the White Pass/ Yukon rail tour in Skagway. It has the greatest scenery.

I know you will love Alaska. It is sooooooooooooo beautiful.

Katie

We've been to Alaska twice both for 14 day trips. The first time was the last week of May and it was cold with some rain. Only when we got back to Anchorage after 7 days of exploring on a bus were we able to take our jackets off and just wear our sweatshirts. The second trip we went a couple weeks earlier in May. It was rainy and very cold. We had a blizzard in Denali! Snow was piled up everywhere. It had rained so much that a slide came down on the train tracks and we couldn't take the train from Denali to Anchorage. We were bussed and it took forever. I think we got into Anchorage about midnight and we had to be up at 5 AM to go to the airport for our flight. But, we do love Alaska. Such unspoiled beauty. Just never know what the temp can be. Layer, layer and layer.

Pat

Archived