Conducting test in stateroom temp harmony

Would I have a better chance of a cabin being cooler switching with my father in law, he is always cold. My room the bed is by the balcony many claim these rooms are cooler I wonder whether its true?

I've not hear anything with respect to temperature variation based on the location of the bed.

It actually didn't make sense to me either but I just wait for our friend to get back and see if he feels I may be better off swapping my room, but I wonder, if the unit has to work harder to get cooler (the end cabins) would that mean the one next door will be weaker, if this is the case, then I best to keep my room. ha

Your wish is my command, oh great and powerful Mr. 100k (congrats).

Each cabin has an individual cooler that cools air recirculated within the cabin. This cooler is designed to recirculate 80% of the cabin air volume each hour. This is what your cabin thermostat controls.

Your cabin is also provided with 20% of its volume of air every hour in fresh air from the outside, to balance the amount of air taken out of the cabin by the bathroom exhaust. This air is cooled partially by the outgoing bathroom exhaust air, and also by large coolers that reduce the outside air temperature below the dew point, so that the humidity is reduced, and then slightly warmed, if necessary, to raise the dew point again. This fresh air supply is typically sent to the cabins around 55-60*F. These air handlers supply air to all the cabins on a deck, on one side, for the entire fire zone. So, if you are on the port side, then it will supply all cabins on the port side (outside and interior) between any two sets of fire doors in the passageway. This can be 30-40 cabins, and any imbalance caused by open balcony doors will adversely affect all of those cabins in the zone.

One thing to remember is that cabins that are on the "outside corners" of a deck (having two walls exposed to outside air) will have added heat load and more trouble keeping temperature. Likewise, cabins with open decks above will have a higher heat load and more trouble maintaining temperature.

Also, for cabin location, on a given sailing, the heat load on cabins, midships on the side, forward, or aft, will have different heat loads due to different orientation to the sun, and therefore may have more or less difficulty maintaining temperature. I remember in Honolulu on turn around day, due to the orientation of the pier, the aft balcony cabins were always warm, and we made sure the cabin stewards always left the drapes closed to keep the glaring sun out and help the AC.

Finally, know that the cruise lines, like the hotel business, use a "standard temperature" range, of about 70-74*F, so if the cabin is within that temperature, whether you are used to colder temps in your home or not, there will be nothing done about it. While the system may be able to bring the temperature down below this range, it is not guaranteed that it will do so.

Fascinating. Thank you so much for this reply.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Chengp75- Hello

I hope I understand correctly why is my head so bad today lol blame it on lupus lol...anyways, so 6130 does not have a double wall from what I understand you saying and then you mentioned the corner room does have to work hard, did I understand correctly? if yes, I will switch rooms as my father in law is always cold lol

Was curious as we never had the first two forward balconies on the side, curious whether they are windier?

Would I have a better chance of a cabin being cooler switching with my father in law, he is always cold. My room the bed is by the balcony many claim these rooms are cooler I wonder whether its true?

Just because a corner cabin, or any cabin with more surface area exposed to the outside is next to your cabin, will not make any difference to that other cabin. The fresh air supply that can be compromised by an open balcony door, is a fixed quantity of cooled air. What really determines the cabin temperature, in a balanced system, is the individual room chiller, controlled by the thermostat. So, to get comfortable, you may need to set the thermostat lower in a corner cabin than in the next one.

The only reason I could think that folks feel bed placement makes a difference is whether or not the air flow blows on the bed better in one location or the other.

Hello Chengkp75!!

Boy I am learning or trying to learn a/c technology lol....ok, so if the corner cabin has to set the thermostat lower to get the same cooling as the cabin next to the corner cabin, wouldn't that mean the room next to the corner room would be even cooler when its set in the lowest thermostat temperature? :)

Also were is the ac located when the bed is next to the balcony and also to the bathroom? Its a good question lol thank you my friend!

Edited by Cruisegirl6

Just got off Navigator of the Seas last Friday - balcony room. While the room was nice and cool when we went to sleep, around 2-5 am, we were throwing off the comforter. The next day we requested a blanket and found we slept so much better for the remainder of the cruise. This will now be a part of my Day 1 routine - blanket request! Hope this helps.

I have a theory based on the past couple of years. I think the a/c system is programmed such that it changes to a warmer setting in the early morning hours. Say between 2 and 5 am?

Did not seem to happen until a few years ago.

I've always thought the temperature control knob in the room was just a placebo and not connected to anything since it never seems to make any difference in the room temp no matter where I set it. It's never cool enough for me. I just bring along an O2Cool portable fan to help keep me cool enough to sleep.

Keeping the draperies closed on port days seems to help also - with a note to the cabin steward to keep them closed. Nothing like returning from a hot day in port to find your draperies open and your room turned into a solar oven.

I have a theory based on the past couple of years. I think the a/c system is programmed such that it changes to a warmer setting in the early morning hours. Say between 2 and 5 am?

Did not seem to happen until a few years ago.

Again, the main temperature control for your cabin is the thermostat, which controls the individual chiller for your cabin. The ship does not pump refrigerant around the ship to cool cabins and public areas, instead the refrigerant chills a fresh water loop system, and this chilled water (around 50*F) is pumped around to the cooling coils. This water is kept at a constant temperature, night or day. Since this is the cooling medium for each individual cabin's chiller coil, there is no "set back" at night. I would doubt seriously (have never seen it) that the fresh air supply temperature is dialed back at night, as there is very little energy savings in letting a huge air volume warm up and then cool it back down, over keeping it at a constant temperature.

I've always thought the temperature control knob in the room was just a placebo and not connected to anything since it never seems to make any difference in the room temp no matter where I set it. It's never cool enough for me. I just bring along an O2Cool portable fan to help keep me cool enough to sleep.

Keeping the draperies closed on port days seems to help also - with a note to the cabin steward to keep them closed. Nothing like returning from a hot day in port to find your draperies open and your room turned into a solar oven.

The fan for your individual cabin chiller runs all the time, but the thermostat determines at what temperature the solenoid valve opens to allow chilled water into the cooling coil. Remember, that the ship's system is designed for an average cabin temperature of 70-74*F.

Hello Chengkp75!!

Boy I am learning or trying to learn a/c technology lol....ok, so if the corner cabin has to set the thermostat lower to get the same cooling as the cabin next to the corner cabin, wouldn't that mean the room next to the corner room would be even cooler when its set in the lowest thermostat temperature? :)

Also were is the ac located when the bed is next to the balcony and also to the bathroom? Its a good question lol thank you my friend!

I don't know every ship's individual design, and I never really looked at the heat balance diagrams for the AC system that closely, but it is possible that the chiller coil for a corner cabin is larger than for a non-corner, so there is more surface area to cool the air flow, so more heat is transferred from the cabin air to the chilled water.

As to duct placement, I can't say for every cabin on every ship. Very often the register is on the wall between the bathroom and the cabin, since the chiller is either under the sink vanity or in the "sanitary locker" outside the bathroom in the hallway, so running the ductwork in that wall is efficient. Some have the supply register in the ceiling, and this placement will vary by cabin and ship, in relation to the bed.

Chengkg75 good morning/good evening (not sure where you are but want to cover both lol)

I am going to keep the room and hope as you mentioned its possible the chiller coil for the corner cabin is larger, it does make sense even to me lol. Thank you sir!

70-72 is fine if it can get to that, never had it that cool and comfortable, crossing my fingers and toes! LOL

We were on Allure in March - in cabin 8556. This was starboard-side forward - just a tad forward of the forward elevators. We kept the thermostat turned all the way to cool for the entire trip. Most of the time, the cabin was comfortable - but occasionally it felt a bit warm.

I did feel that the cabin stayed cooler than a similar cabin we had stayed on - on Liberty back in 2009. That was also a starboard forward ocean view balcony cabin.

Again, the main temperature control for your cabin is the thermostat, which controls the individual chiller for your cabin. The ship does not pump refrigerant around the ship to cool cabins and public areas, instead the refrigerant chills a fresh water loop system, and this chilled water (around 50*F) is pumped around to the cooling coils. This water is kept at a constant temperature, night or day. Since this is the cooling medium for each individual cabin's chiller coil, there is no "set back" at night. I would doubt seriously (have never seen it) that the fresh air supply temperature is dialed back at night, as there is very little energy savings in letting a huge air volume warm up and then cool it back down, over keeping it at a constant temperature.

Well, so much for that theory! Thanks Chief for explaining better. I knew it was a chiller system, but don't know enough about ship HVAC to do anything but theorize!