Kevin's $0.02 on the Steakhouse

KevnSue

As a background, I am a bit of a steak aficionado; not a snob and not a food critic, but I know my way around steaks (both in restaurants and at home: if you see your local Costco doing one of their Road Shows, pick up one: occasionally we've scored a tomahawk rib eye that was absolutely amazing!). I've been to some good steak places, both chain (Flemings, Ruth's Chris, etc.) and independents (Lou & Mickey's in San Diego's Gaslamp is a favorite as well as 555 East in Long Beach, CA, The Hitching Post in Casmalia, CA, etc.). To me, Outback is okay if there is not a better choice around. Note: I refer to Flemings and Ruth's Chris frequently in this post as I recall reading a thread where these were referenced.

I was looking forward to the Steakhouse. We took advantage of the first night booking special getting a half-priced bottle of wine (got the 2011 Duckhorn Paraduxx). I was optimistic going in as I had seen others compare their experience akin to Flemings or Ruth's Chris (I prefer the independents: while the steaks are good at Fleming's, I find them to be overpriced).

I would have to rate the Steakhouse on the Magic barely a little better than Outback and certainly not on par with Fleming's or Ruth's Chris. First, the decor was rather bland not what I expected for a "premium experience." My Rib Eye was overwhelmed by the four-spice rub they used (it was good, but the chef needs to learn that the rub is supposed to bring out and accent the flavor of the meat; not create a whole new taste) and the New York my wife ordered was pretty uneventful: good but not great.

And no, this is not a $35 steak dinner: you have to remember that this cost is above and beyond the price you already paid as part of your cruise.

Also, I later found out that some of the steaks from the Steakhouse could be ordered in the MDR for a $20 premium. Haven't tried that route yet, but if I decide to, will add to this post.

Was it worth it? I think the $35 premium is about as much as it is worth (but only barely) and I wouldn't waste your money of you are on a tight budget. But as an alternative to the MDR, it's an option.

I think my opinion is similar to yours on this. I didn't find the steakhouse to be worth the upcharge. It was a nice experience but not notable. I'll happily stay in the mdr.

Chef's table on the other hand was superb and I'd happily pay the premium for that.

I have a cruise booked 8 months away and the chef's table is already full with a wait list. So they must be doing something right.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

I basically said the same thing in my Vista report. I won't be going back. If I want a good steak I will pay the $20 in the MDR. In fact, the one I got in the MDR for the upcharge was better than the same steak I had in the Steakhouse. Why? I haven't a clue.

Just curious are the Apps, salads, and potato 🥔 better in steakhouse?

While I certainly would go as far as to put the Steakhouse on par with David Burke's in Chicago or Peter Lugar's in NYC or even Bern's in Tampa, we have always enjoyed our experience in the Steakhouse and feel it was a worthy upcharge. The ambience is far better than the cattle feed going on in the MDR. The sides are good--creamed spinach, beefsteak tomatoes with gorgonzola and the grilled mushroom are my favs. Desserts are outrageous. The lamb chop has always been excellent. The sea bass is very good too. I've had the cowboy ribeye in the past and it was cooked perfectly, but I will agree with the OP that the rub was a bit too much. so I typically order it with salt and pepper only on the meat. I have yet to have a steak there that wasn't cooked to my order--medium rare. I have had steaks at Outback, Capital Grill and Smith and Wollensky's that were overcooked. And don't get me started on Longhorn's.

Just curious are the Apps, salads, and potato 🥔 better in steakhouse?

No. Baked potato the same, but they did have some excellent whipped potatoes. Baked Onion Soup is the same, just in a bigger bowl which was too much. The cheesecake was gross. I heard so many people rave about it so I couldn't wait for dessert. Well it wasn't New York Cheesecake and I'm not sure what it was. Had a chocolate crust and freaking coconut in it! Disgusting. I hate coconut and was picking it out of my teeth.

As a background, I am a bit of a steak aficionado; not a snob and not a food critic, but I know my way around steaks (both in restaurants and at home: if you see your local Costco doing one of their Road Shows, pick up one: occasionally we've scored a tomahawk rib eye that was absolutely amazing!). I've been to some good steak places, both chain (Flemings, Ruth's Chris, etc.) and independents (Lou & Mickey's in San Diego's Gaslamp is a favorite as well as 555 East in Long Beach, CA, The Hitching Post in Casmalia, CA, etc.). To me, Outback is okay if there is not a better choice around. Note: I refer to Flemings and Ruth's Chris frequently in this post as I recall reading a thread where these were referenced.

I was looking forward to the Steakhouse. We took advantage of the first night booking special getting a half-priced bottle of wine (got the 2011 Duckhorn Paraduxx). I was optimistic going in as I had seen others compare their experience akin to Flemings or Ruth's Chris (I prefer the independents: while the steaks are good at Fleming's, I find them to be overpriced).

I would have to rate the Steakhouse on the Magic barely a little better than Outback and certainly not on par with Fleming's or Ruth's Chris. First, the decor was rather bland not what I expected for a "premium experience." My Rib Eye was overwhelmed by the four-spice rub they used (it was good, but the chef needs to learn that the rub is supposed to bring out and accent the flavor of the meat; not create a whole new taste) and the New York my wife ordered was pretty uneventful: good but not great.

And no, this is not a $35 steak dinner: you have to remember that this cost is above and beyond the price you already paid as part of your cruise.

Also, I later found out that some of the steaks from the Steakhouse could be ordered in the MDR for a $20 premium. Haven't tried that route yet, but if I decide to, will add to this post.

Was it worth it? I think the $35 premium is about as much as it is worth (but only barely) and I wouldn't waste your money of you are on a tight budget. But as an alternative to the MDR, it's an option.

Kev, thank you for your review. Its funny, on a similar thread a few months ago, I compared Carnivals Steakhouse steaks to Outback and/or Longhorns as far as steak quality (please note, I said they were GOOD, just like I think Outback and Longhorns are good). I got absolutely flamed. Its good to see another diner who knows steak validate my feelings. I hope the cruise was good

No. Baked potato the same, but they did have some excellent whipped potatoes. Baked Onion Soup is the same, just in a bigger bowl which was too much. The cheesecake was gross. I heard so many people rave about it so I couldn't wait for dessert. Well it wasn't New York Cheesecake and I'm not sure what it was. Had a chocolate crust and freaking coconut in it! Disgusting. I hate coconut and was picking it out of my teeth.

OH NO!! I was looking forward to the cheesecake based on other posts, but, like you, I hate coconut!!! That just ruins it!

I love coconut but HATED the cheesecake. Very bland and tasteless. I have had varied experiences in the steakhouse overall though. I was on the Magic last May and it was also just "ok" compared to a couple of my other experiences.

We went once to the Steakhouse on the Miracle. I agree with everything you said! The next time on the Miracle I ordered from the upcharge menu 2x and it was great! I loved our server in the MDR so ordering the upcharge was fine by me. Plus, you still get the apps and sides from the MDR menu. I also missed the WMC in the MDR. That alone wasn't worth it to me!! Lol!

We just ate at the steakhouse on the Magic a few weeks ago...

I am not a big red meat person, but DH is. BUT we are both foodies.

He got the Cowboy steak. Flavor good, but thin and just not that tender.

I got the Filet which was perfect, tender and juicy, no fat. And as I said, I just don't get into red meat. I could only eat half as it was so much more than I am used to eating.

The appetizers were amazing...he got the tuna tartare, I got the shrimp coctail. Both delicious and well presented.

He got the spinach salad, loved it.

The baked potatoes were just potatoes.

Dessert....he got cheesecake, didn't think it was special.

I got the chocolate sampler, which we split as it is so luscious and decadent! Wow.

Service was amazing. Atmosphere was wonderful.

Would we do it again.... probably. I would not get steak, probably try the fish or chicken. He wants to try the lamb chops.

Worth $35pp??? Yes, i think so.

Just curious are the Apps, salads, and potato better in steakhouse?

In the steakhouse the escargot are not in garlic butter but set in a piece of bread and I didn't like them at all. Don't like the Caesar salad is not cut up and mine wasn't made tableside.

I've had good and bad experiences in the SH. 2 steaks were not recognizable. Couldn't get waited on to send it back.

Couldn't stand the cheesecake. Chocolate sampler was good.

The cost is $35 plus the value of whatever meal (MDR, buffet, etc) that you are skipping to go to the steakhouse.

My take has always been to no go to any upcharge dinning while onboard. I would rather save that money for another "fun time" back home after the cruise. No matter where I eat on the ship, we will still have a good time.

We've had good experiences in the steakhouse. We enjoy the service and the quiet atmosphere. My DH always gets a steak, but I look forward to the lobster ravioli. It's really quite delicious. And I've never seen that on the MDR menu and we eat most of our meals in the evening in the MDR.

The cost is $35 plus the value of whatever meal (MDR, buffet, etc) that you are skipping to go to the steakhouse.

My take has always been to no go to any upcharge dinning while onboard. I would rather save that money for another "fun time" back home after the cruise. No matter where I eat on the ship, we will still have a good time.

That sums it up for us too. DW and I have eaten one meal in a specialty restaurant (the Italian one on NCL) and it was okay for what it was but it wasn't great. The chicken parmesan was excellent but the pasta was overcooked and in what tasted like tomato soup. We had chicken parmesan on Fascination and it was easily as good as what we had paid for on NCL, and maybe even a little better since we didn't pay extra for it. We are celebrating our 25th anniversary on our Glory cruise and I am contemplating doing the Steakhouse, but I may just stay true to form and get her a Guy's Burger;).

We typically cruise in a group of 8-20 and when we have the smaller group, I think it's a fun way to kickoff the cruise with a steakhouse dinner first night. I think the service is better in there from my experiences but in no way is it fine dining or on par with a great Colorado or Texas steak house. I"m thinking of getting the filet/lobster combo next time and we have it booked for a group of 12 in July. :)

I wonder what Carnival charges each passenger for the food portion of the fare? Our vista suite on the Miracle for July 8 was $3088 for two before port fees. I assume the cabin is about $225 per night like a nicer hotel so that leaves about $200 or so for food and entertainment for two. Maybe food $100/entertainment $100 for two? I think that makes my steakhouse experience about a $120 value with the fee and the $50 allotted for dinner for two.

We typically cruise in a group of 8-20 and when we have the smaller group, I think it's a fun way to kickoff the cruise with a steakhouse dinner first night. I think the service is better in there from my experiences but in no way is it fine dining or on par with a great Colorado or Texas steak house. I"m thinking of getting the filet/lobster combo next time and we have it booked for a group of 12 in July. :)

I wonder what Carnival charges each passenger for the food portion of the fare? Our vista suite on the Miracle for July 8 was $3088 for two before port fees. I assume the cabin is about $225 per night like a nicer hotel so that leaves about $200 or so for food and entertainment for two. Maybe food $100/entertainment $100 for two? I think that makes my steakhouse experience about a $120 value with the fee and the $50 allotted for dinner for two.

I have no idea how all that stuff works, but considering you can get an inside cabin much cheaper (think in the $400pp, sometimes less, range for a 7 night cruise), I doubt they allocate that much to food. Suite people don't typically eat more than someone in an inside I wouldn't think.

We're big steak fans.

St Elmos in Indy is one of our favorite restaurants.

And we found the Steakhouse to be quite good.

I did not have the cheesecake to which you referred, but we did have desert that was quite delicious.

I also felt that the appetizers and baked potato and side offerings were superior to the MDR (this was on the Vista most recently, but similar on all ships we have cruised).

All in all, we are Steakhouse fans and believe it is worth the upcharge.

Can't wait for June 4th....our next Steakhouse visit.

Kev, thank you for your review. Its funny, on a similar thread a few months ago, I compared Carnivals Steakhouse steaks to Outback and/or Longhorns as far as steak quality (please note, I said they were GOOD, just like I think Outback and Longhorns are good). I got absolutely flamed. Its good to see another diner who knows steak validate my feelings. I hope the cruise was good

I remember that thread and I hope I didn't flame you for an opinion - if I did I apologize. I do disagree with you in that I think the Steakhouse is better than Outback and Longhorn. I do like Longhorn on occasion but I consistently get tough or fatty steaks or incorrect temperature at Outback. But other family likes it so when I go I just get their frozen fried shrimp and the wedge salad which I love. I can eat most anything fried lol.

I agree that Steakhouse is no Bern's or even a Del Frisco but i think it's closer to them than outback if you get the filet - that's what we always get and haven't been disappointed yet in the Steakhouse. and 70 bucks for the two of us vs closer to 3 bills at Bern's is a great value (conveniently leaving out the 2~3k we paid for the cruise and included MDR food lol)

So I reckon with the apps and the free bottle of wine (or half off a good one) we think the steakhouse is a step above Outback and Longhorn but not all the way up to high end steakhouses.

We got reservations for the Chef's table next year on Miracle and that will be our first time so we are very excited about that.

The Chef's Table is a wonderful experience. Just go hungry and don't have much to drink before you go. They will start you off with champagne and have wine pairings to go with your meal. Even though you get small portions of each course, the food is very rich and you will not leave hungry. We have been trying on several past sailings to get a reservation, but they fill up fast and can be difficult to secure.

We always book the steak house on our first night. The MDR always seems to be a little off on food and service the first night of sailing and it's a great way to start the cruise with a bottle of wine and nice quiet and tasty meal at the steak house.

Thanks for your thoughts. I love a good steak, but DW isn't overly fond of beef. She will eat it but would probably choose the chicken if we ate at the steakhouse and I don't want to pay $35 for chicken.

They have plenty of options to choose if you don't want beef. They always have lamb and wonderful seafood. I seldom get a steak, but always enjoy what I order. As I said, the lobster ravioli is beyond good. It is a bargain for $35. Plus it's really nice to have a special night with your sweetheart. Hard to put a price on that.

They have plenty of options to choose if you don't want beef. They always have lamb and wonderful seafood. I seldom get a steak, but always enjoy what I order. As I said, the lobster ravioli is beyond good. It is a bargain for $35. Plus it's really nice to have a special night with your sweetheart. Hard to put a price on that.

Apparently, many on here can do just that.

Different strokes for different folks. :D