Panic Disorder worried about number of passengers on Oasis of the Seas

My husband is trying to plan a cruise for our Anniversary this September. One of the options he came up with was the Oasis of the Seas.

My concern is the sheer number of people on the ship. I have a panic disorder in crowds and I'm curious what it's like on such a big ship with so many people. Are areas often crowded? Is it easy to walk from one side of the ship to the other or are you constantly trying to get around other people? Are lines for dining and shows long? I understand that we should make reservations before we go, but do you end up standing in big crowds of people waiting to get in?

Any advice anyone can give me is greatly appreciated!

Leslie

I have a panic disorder

Hello Shoshee. I say this with all sincerity.... many replies you may receive will not refer to the exact reason as to why you are asking. ie.... you're going to read a lot of this "I've never felt crowded ever on Oasis". But that's not looking at it from your own personal perspective. How can any of us relate to you unless we share your disorder?

Kudos to you for opening up with an issue you have and asking an honest question. I for one cannot relate as I'm ok in crowds. So without any experience of how you feel around crowds, all I can say is I would not choose Oasis Class if I were you. That's just my humble and un-informed opinion of not knowing you and how you relate with your disorder. My recommendation for any RCL ship would be Radiance Class as it has the most public space per passenger ratio, as well as the the highest staff per cruiser ratio (Clarea... correct me if I'm wrong with that last statement). I personally have felt the least crowded on Radiance Class.

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise! :)

We were on Oasis two weeks ago. Muster drill and after shows let out make for crowded areas. The Royal Promenade during the 2 for $20 t-shirt sale and $10 sale was a madhouse as well. You could rely on deck 8, Central Park, to get from one end of the ship to the other without coming into a crowd - never crowded there, in our experience. Also never found the Boardwalk crowded. We would walk from one end of deck 16 to the other end where Windjammer was, and while it wasn't crowded with people, the path to walk on between the lounge chairs was narrow and we'd have turn sideways to let people pass us at times.

I don't have panic disorder but have an anxiety disorder and realize that it's tough to navigate crowds, etc..

I have been on a lot of cruises and can say that there are crowds just like anywhere when you travel or try to do Christmas shopping, etc. But there are definite ways to avoid the crowded areas -- such as don't go to the Windjammer during the busiest hours (and on embarkation day). Stay away from the main deck on deck party night. You will have crowds if you try to be the first on the ship -- but if you take one of the latest times to check in, you won't see the mad rush. The dining room can be crowded at peak times -- make dinner reservations or go to a pay restaurant. I could go on but hopefully you get my point.

If you get a balcony room and LOVE to sit and watch the ocean, you will love a cruise and can minimize the crowds you experience. It really can be what you make of it . . . . and making some decisions ahead of time could minimize the crowds you will experience. So, in a nutshell, if you have been wanting to cruise but afraid of the crowds, with the help of Cruisecritic, etc. you could probably do some research that will make it manageable for you.

Edited by Elationismyship
typo

Disagree with the statement about the Radiance class ships. Sailed on the Serenade last year, and felt it was the most crowded of any ship I have sailed. A few reasons - only one main bank of elevators, unlike the bigger ships that have "double" Hard to explain this but the smaller ships have front and aft elevators, but only one set. The bigger ships have double forward and aft banks.

Many shows were held in the Centrum, which was always crowded. Cafe was in the solarium, always a line and crowded.

Prefer the bigger ships because they are wider. Promenade can be crowded when shops are having sales, parades, etc. but you can avoid them.

Obviously, you have a serious problem. Have you ever cruised? Regardless of the ship, there will be times when it will be crowded. Even the dining rooms can seem crowded - tables are close together.

I do wish you well, and hope you can find a cruise that will work; however , I think any cruise or ship will at times have lines, crowds. I guess it comes down to how serious a problem this is for you. Good luck!

Hi Showee. My son has autism and does not do well around lots of people, and in turn I am always looking to minimize our time in large groups of people to avoid problems. I was on the Allure last year and found it to be, overall, less crowded than my experiences on Disney ships. Of course, we also did things to avoid crowds, like not go to the pools at noon on a sea day. Walk through Central Park when going from one end of the ship to the other, I would go from our room on the 6 floor up two flights of stairs, walk across the park and then up the elevator to get to the other side. The boardwalk was a other space that rarely saw crowds. Muster was crowded, but that is going to be the case on any ship, even on a smaller ship like Enchantment. The nice thing about the Oasis class ship is that there are so many public spaces, it is easy to find at least one spot that is free of crowds at any given time.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Disagree with the statement about the Radiance class ships. Sailed on the Serenade last year, and felt it was the most crowded of any ship I have sailed. A few reasons - only one main bank of elevators, unlike the bigger ships that have "double" Hard to explain this but the smaller ships have front and aft elevators, but only one set. The bigger ships have double forward and aft banks.

Many shows were held in the Centrum, which was always crowded. Cafe was in the solarium, always a line and crowded.

Prefer the bigger ships because they are wider. Promenade can be crowded when shops are having sales, parades, etc. but you can avoid them.

Obviously, you have a serious problem. Have you ever cruised? Regardless of the ship, there will be times when it will be crowded. Even the dining rooms can seem crowded - tables are close together.

I do wish you well, and hope you can find a cruise that will work; however , I think any cruise or ship will at times have lines, crowds. I guess it comes down to how serious a problem this is for you. Good luck!

Thanks for the info Grandma. I have cruised, quite a lot, but always on Princess. As big as their ships are they are dwarfed by the Oasis. On Princess there are times when there are a lot of people around, but not usually big huge crowds unless a show is letting out. We always watch parties from a deck or so away (easier to get drinks that way, too!!). I've rarely had trouble navigating main areas of the ships due to the crowds. These ships just have so many more people on them, that I was really wondering how much of a problem crowds are or if it just kind of evens out because the ships are so much larger.

Thanks so much!

I don't have panic disorder but have an anxiety disorder and realize that it's tough to navigate crowds, etc..

I have been on a lot of cruises and can say that there are crowds just like anywhere when you travel or try to do Christmas shopping, etc. But there are definite ways to avoid the crowded areas -- such as don't go to the Windjammer during the busiest hours (and on embarkation day). Stay away from the main deck on deck party night. You will have crowds if you try to be the first on the ship -- but if you take one of the latest times to check in, you won't see the mad rush. The dining room can be crowded at peak times -- make dinner reservations or go to a pay restaurant. I could go on but hopefully you get my point.

If you get a balcony room and LOVE to sit and watch the ocean, you will love a cruise and can minimize the crowds you experience. It really can be what you make of it . . . . and making some decisions ahead of time could minimize the crowds you will experience. So, in a nutshell, if you have been wanting to cruise but afraid of the crowds, with the help of Cruisecritic, etc. you could probably do some research that will make it manageable for you.

Thank you! I have an anxiety disorder as well lol good times! It sounds like I may be ok. I cruise Princess all the time and never have problems. This is probably similar because the extra people are spread out over extra large ships. Just the thought of 6,000 passengers sounded daunting to me.

Thanks for your advice!

Hi Showee. My son has autism and does not do well around lots of people, and in turn I am always looking to minimize our time in large groups of people to avoid problems. I was on the Allure last year and found it to be, overall, less crowded than my experiences on Disney ships. Of course, we also did things to avoid crowds, like not go to the pools at noon on a sea day. Walk through Central Park when going from one end of the ship to the other, I would go from our room on the 6 floor up two flights of stairs, walk across the park and then up the elevator to get to the other side. The boardwalk was a other space that rarely saw crowds. Muster was crowded, but that is going to be the case on any ship, even on a smaller ship like Enchantment. The nice thing about the Oasis class ship is that there are so many public spaces, it is easy to find at least one spot that is free of crowds at any given time.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Muster can mosh pit, but if you have a legitimate medical reason your spouse can take your card along with his and get them scanned and you can sit in a less crowded area, (usually a bar) in the ship. The Muster attendant will direct you in that regard. My wife had foot surgery and could not stand for an extended time, and we were allowed to sit away from the crowds. It was us, one other person with mobility issues and a crowd of Pinnacles that went out there with made up excuses and commented for anyone who cared to listen that they didn't need to stand out there with everyone else. The crew is very accommodating in this regard, but I was a bit offended to see so many abuse the privilege when they were totally capable of participating.

Went off on a bit of a tangent there, but hopefully the knowledge that you can avoid the worst of the safety drill will be helpful.

I have issues with crowds and noise. Crowded restaurants have always been a trigger for my panic attacks. Over the years (the last 31) I've worked with a number of counselors and professionals to identify my triggers and develop strategies to cope in the event that an attack occurs. Daily medication helps as well.

I decided that I would start living my life fully (at 50) so last month my sister and I sailed on the Oasis of the Seas for my birthday. I loved every single moment of it. I'll admit to being a little concerned over what I had heard about the muster drill crowds. Our station was in the Aqua Theater so we got there a little early. Found seats that put me to the high side of the crowd where I knew I could stand up if needed. The amount of people in the station wasn't an issue. We sat and chatted after it was over so most of the crowd could find their way out of that particular neighborhood. Our stateroom was on the same deck so elevators and crowded stairs weren't an issue either.

We had the late dinner seating. The second night was a little crowded. I thought about leaving my place in line and walking around for a few minutes until the doors opened and the crowd thinned out. Chose a counting strategy to keep calm. Before I could get through my mindful exercise the doors opened and we walked to our table. I would suggest going to the Main Dining Room on the afternoon that you board and find your table. Knowing where I would be sitting helped. Also if you feel crowded at the table you're assigned, that would be the perfect time to talk with the maitre'd and find something more suitable. Trust me....you've got a valid reason and one that they will work to accommodate.

Some folks have mentioned elevator crowding. There were times when the elevators are busier than others. Also the front elevators (nearest the Windjammer Buffet) were busier than the aft (closest to the Board Walk). I normally avoided the front elevators. Just walk around the decks to find the other set. If it wasn't more than a floor or 2 then I chose the stairs (bad knees and all). Also when it comes to the elevators at each station there are 2 sets - 1 that is glass and open to the fantastic art work and open spaces the other is enclosed like your typical elevator. I never felt crowded on the glass type. I politely passed up an elevator or 2 when the enclosed one would open and have a fuller load of passengers.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best.

- Iris

Let's be clear here. I think just about ANY ship will have moments where specific areas are crowded for specific reasons. Especially when a show lets out. It's no different than when you are at a full movie theater and the movie ends. It's what it is.

Beyond that, Oasis is very well known for feeling uncrowded. The generally consensus is "wow, for so many people, it's just never crowded, what an amazing ship!"

You won't feel more crowded on Oasis than other ships, and I think it may be safe to say you will feel less crowded on Oasis than other ships.

If crowding is your concern, Oasis may actually be a good choice.

Disagree with the statement about the Radiance class ships. Sailed on the Serenade last year, and felt it was the most crowded of any ship I have sailed. ...

I find that walkway through the shops on Radiance and Vision class to be very claustrophobic. As if that area is not small enough, they have to add tables of merchandise to further constrict the area.

Shoshee 10, you are brave to open up. My husband is a Vietnam Vet, and Purple Heart Recipient. He has PTSD and has had panic attacks. Have a code word you can say to your husband that tells him you need to get to a "safe" place. Go early to eat, off times are less crowded. Go early shows etc, and wait until the crowd thins out to leave. If you feel a panic attack coming on, get up and leave the situation. No explanation is needed. Have a "happy place" you can think about, it helps sometimes. We are going on the Oasis soon and will using these tips. Bless you and good luck.

I will second what Clarea said. The only times the Oasis ships ever feel crowded is on embarkation day around the time of the muster drill and during the huge events on the promenade.

I remember thinking it was amazing how empty the ship felt during the day, even on sea days, the first time we went on Oasis. There are so many neighborhoods, it seems to really disperse people well, and people tend to gravitate to the areas they like. For us it is the fitness area and pools/solarium, for some its reading in central park, etc.

I would recommend the Oasis class. Relax in your room on boarding day instead of following the masses and make it through the muster and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

My son is Autistic and does not do well in large crowds, especially if people are just standing around. We tend to walk through the cabin hallways instead of the more public areas at busy times. We mostly avoid pool decks on sea days, avoid the big sales, and parades. When we go to shows, we sit and wait until most people have left as this gives the elevators time to clear out some and people to disperse.

The Muster Drill is definitely the worst, however, if you speak with the Special Needs Dept you may be able to arrange for an alternate venue. It took several calls and emails (and a bit of pushing), but I finally got it in writing that I will be able to stay in our stateroom with my son while my husband attends the Muster Drill.

We cruise often and find that it is doable while avoiding crowds if you just pre-plan a bit. The nice thing about Oasis is that there are so many different areas to be in, finding some that are less crowded shouldn't be too difficult.

OP, I am so sorry that you are dealing with panic and anxiety. I have dealt with GAD most of my life (generalized anxiety disorder) from just growing up in a very toxic home with toxic unstable family. I am on medication for it which keeps it under control for the most part. Not sure if you have meds or if you can get some from your family dr. It can help.

I have only been on the Freedom. I didn't think of the muster drill until someone mentioned it. The Muster drill is hot, crowded and long. You would have to get special permission to not participate. Not sure if you would get excused or not? RC does not want anyone to miss. They roll-call and will know if you just hide out.

The Windjammer was NUTS on the 1st day!!!! My son was 12 at the time and he got so flustered. It made him somewhat anxious, I think. Being on the Oasis, I would avoid the WJ on sail day and eat at another location.

On the other hand, the WJ is very peaceful for dinner in the evenings. Most people have gone to the MDR. We loved the WJ for dinner. The lights are dimmed, we could get up and get what we needed. The MDR can be a goat-rope at times. We had kids all around us. We had our son too, so we were in good company. I thought it was nuts. Kids banging and making noise. My son was right in there clanking his silverware, etc

The show times, getting in and out of the theaters can get really crowded. The Tender boats, or just getting off the ship can get crowded too. We got off the boat to Coco Cay 1st thing. When we got back to the ship, the line to get on the tender was all the way up several flights of stairs. I recommend not sleeping in and get off the ship early. Eat room service, then GO.

Show times in the promenade will get crowded too

The bottom line is, IMO, we all have to know our own boundaries and limits and try not to go where a trigger will set off.

Don't let your fears in life stop you from missing out on life's experiences. I know it is hard though

Thanks for the info Grandma. I have cruised, quite a lot, but always on Princess. As big as their ships are they are dwarfed by the Oasis. On Princess there are times when there are a lot of people around, but not usually big huge crowds unless a show is letting out. We always watch parties from a deck or so away (easier to get drinks that way, too!!). I've rarely had trouble navigating main areas of the ships due to the crowds. These ships just have so many more people on them, that I was really wondering how much of a problem crowds are or if it just kind of evens out because the ships are so much larger.

Thanks so much!

If you check my expanded signature below you will see that I have saile numerous times on Princess ships. I swore I would never sail on Oasis, and once I did I never went back.

To me the crowds were spread equally as a comparison. You will also notice in my signature it is the Class that we practically sail exclusively on. Yes, it is busy after the shows let out, or at muster but all ships are.

Good Luck, and Happy Anniversary!

I have both panic disorder and agorophobia so I do truly understand what you are feeling.

We just got off the Oasis a couple of weeks ago and I loved it!! Yes there are times such as muster drill and peak times at the buffet it will be crowded, but that will be true on most ships. There are so many things to see and do on the Oasis that the crowds are really spread out.

We are about to book cruise #30 and I can honestly say I actually feel more peaceful and relaxed on a ship than anywhere. With a ship the size of the Oasis it is very easy to remove yourself from a crowded situation and move on to some place more pleasurable.

If you do sail on this ship go to Central Park in the evenings and listen to the sweet peaceful sounds of the music played there.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

I too have issues with crowds and had no issues on oasis. I wasn't overwhelmed, no panic attacks. It was smooth sailing on all accounts. I prepared for the worse and had incredible vacation. Take the leap, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app