Asia on "Millie"

LuAnn

We are in Tokyo after disembarking from "Millie" on Saturday AM...quite an adventure!!

We had serious fog in Shanghai which kept us in the harbor for such a long time we were unable to make our next port...and our Captain was understandably concerned about our welfare as many, many ships were "stuck in place" and the Chinese Pilot was stuck on board!!...Quite an adventure!! "Stuck" for almost 24 hours!!

And then we had the "immigration adventure". Since we missed a port of call due to the fog we went through immigration for Japan in Kobe...and it was long, slow and painful...the Captain was actually seen/heard on shore very upset at the immigration staff asking them to bring more staff to facilitate the process. It took some passengers more than 3 hours to disembark and some missed their private tours.

And then there was the 15 day Visa Waiver available to US citizens for the port of Shanghai...which I researched "to death" and finally, finally was able to use to disembark in Shanghai!! YAY!!!...trust me...I have never worked as hard and as long to get a tour on shore to work!!

I worked with a great rep at X Captain Club's (Zoe), the Immigration Officer (Rose) on board the ship, our tour operator in China (Miki Tours) and everyone else and "their pet frog" to get this done!. I delivered to Rose at the embarkation in HK the invitation letter I had received from the tour agency regarding our tour, a copy of their license with the state of China, and a list of all our passengers and their passport numbers and origin or country. Rose made copies at embarkation. We were able to embark in HK without a Chinese Visa...which had been a point of question for weeks prior to embarkation..as some reps at X had told our CCers they needed a Chinese Visa to embark in HK (proved to not be true)

I'm not sure all that Rose went through but she told me she had to call the Chinese immigration authorities several times before she was able to receive the OK that our group could disembark with the 15 day visa waiver. Our tour operator (we were told at the end of our tour) received numberous phone calls from numerous agencies (including the local police authorities) right up until the time we disembarked in Shanghai. The owner of the company met us at the ship at the end of the tour because the "authorities" had asked her to take a picture of the group to "prove" that we had actually taken the tour with her. Right up until we disembarked the authorities were asking for copies of our passports...which they had not asked for until the last minute! X (Rose) was happy to help with this! But in the end the "authorities" decided they were not needed!!

There were several other CC groups who took a tour with Miki Tours and they were all able to get off the ship!!

We had a terrific time...and I would be happy to help with any questions you might have regarding my visa experience. While it was difficult I'm glad I went through the process...because it saved all of our CC members a lot of $$..and I hoped that I could help my fellow CCers with their future cruises to Shanghai!!! With only the one port of call in China on this cruise it didn't make sense to get the "multiple entry visa" for China if that was the only port of call for many of us!

TBH I think the "Millie" is looking a little worse for wear...but the staff were great..and the production shows were the best we have seen in the last 3 cruises since 11/16...and the entertainers were very good.

The food...well we all know that is subjective...but we asked to meet with the F&B Manager because we thought the food in "Blu" was so poor...as well as in the Oceanview Cafe...he was very nice and took copious notes and seemed to really appeciate our in-put..the food in Blu was not what we had experienced many other times on many other X ships...all meats covered in gravy/or prime rib that could not be cut with a knife (even by a waiter) and cold food served in the Oceanview Cafe...such a disappointment based on our many, many past experiences.

Every cruise/ship/staff/service/food is different!! I can only tell you about my very recent experience. I wanted to post this as I know there have been many, many questions about these cruises in Asia and the visa problems...and I thought I'd "throw in" the rest of our experiences as well. Please ask questions...and I'll try and help/answer! LuAnn

Thanks for the info.

We have been on the Milli. at least a dozen times and enjoyed them all. We will be on the May 7 repositioning to Canada so info. Is nice to here. Great to here the intertainment is up to par since we will be at sea for over 8 days. How was your time in Japan?

LuAnn,

Thanks for your review and thoughts.

So, if we fly into Hong Kong, we do not need a Chinese Visa. That is good news. :)

Yes "Texed"...we did NOT need a visa as a US citizen to board the ship in HK!!!...I can't speak to other nations but that was true for us..X reps had unfortunately given many different answers to that question but that was the bottom line for us...and we did have a "stickie note" placed on our passport with the quote "No Chinese Visa"...but in the end...we were able to disembark in Shanghai based on the documentation we provided. TBH...I guess the Chinese government can make a "shift on a dime"...and to be REALLY safe you need a "regular" Chinese visa..but I/we were willing to take the chance and it paid off price wise...but it WAS a hassle!! LuAnn

Thanks for the info.

We have been on the Milli. at least a dozen times and enjoyed them all. We will be on the May 7 repositioning to Canada so info. Is nice to here. Great to here the intertainment is up to par since we will be at sea for over 8 days. How was your time in Japan?

I think you will have a wonderful time..not sure what Japanese ports you have...but the ones we had were great!...especially Kyoto...which we visited via the Kobe port of call...but I think you will be going north from TK, right? The cherry blossoms are gone here now...but we did see them in Kyoto..and you MIGHT see them further north BTH I think you will be too late. The dancers and singers were wonderful and the shows were more what we have been used to in the past on X...a lot more "Broadway" and standard songs rather than the IMO the "odd" shows we have seen on the S Class ships the last few months...sorry...just too over the top and we didn't "get it"...and the CD told us he didn't either!! (But it was a corp. decision and so...it goes) Our time here in TK has been great...we were able to have a "tour by locals" with a super gentleman...he took us all over TK on the subway lines...something I'm afraid I'm not up to do on our own...I'm a "chicken" when it comes to something like that!!!...but with a guide it was an adventure..even HE...who lives here in TK...had to consult others to figure out how to get from A to Z...if HE needs help there is no way we could do it on our on!!! :0. LuAnn

I think you will have a wonderful time..not sure what Japanese ports you have...but the ones we had were great!...especially Kyoto...which we visited via the Kobe port of call...but I think you will be going north from TK, right? The cherry blossoms are gone here now...but we did see them in Kyoto..and you MIGHT see them further north BTH I think you will be too late. The dancers and singers were wonderful and the shows were more what we have been used to in the past on X...a lot more "Broadway" and standard songs rather than the IMO the "odd" shows we have seen on the S Class ships the last few months...sorry...just too over the top and we didn't "get it"...and the CD told us he didn't either!! (But it was a corp. decision and so...it goes) Our time here in TK has been great...we were able to have a "tour by locals" with a super gentleman...he took us all over TK on the subway lines...something I'm afraid I'm not up to do on our own...I'm a "chicken" when it comes to something like that!!!...but with a guide it was an adventure..even HE...who lives here in TK...had to consult others to figure out how to get from A to Z...if HE needs help there is no way we could do it on our on!!! :0. LuAnn

Thanks for the review. We also thought the singers and dancers were very good on our Millie cruise over Christmas - made a point of informing them too ;). Japan is on our bucket list.

Glad to read your review. We are booked for a cruise from Tokyo to Shanghai in October 2018. Guess I'd better read up on the needed visas after I get the one for Australia for next February.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Millennium in March from Hong Kong to Shanghai, 14 nights including stops in Taiwan, Nagasaki Japan, 3 stops in Korea, 3 nights in Tianjin (Beijing) and ending in Shanghai. It was a great trip, we enjoyed it all except the the Chinese immigration issues. We were told we had to have visas for China so we paid the outrageos cost and got them. We were told we needed to bring 3 photo copies of our passports and we did, we were told that it was great news that we picked up Chinese immigration officials on our last stop in Korea and then had them onboard to do their work as we spent a day and a half cruising towards China and we would save a lot of time once we got to Tianjin. It sounded good but once we docked at 6am, they said we should be cleared around 8am...we left the ship at 10:30am. Why? All because they can. Originally we were told the gangways would be open all night, but that was then changed to be back by 11pm or stay on shore.... when we left Tianjin, late after more "immigration" delays we were supposed to sail straight to Shanghai. As we got underway the captain announced "we have to make a technical stop in Jeju Island Korea to satisfy the Chinese immigation officials". That meant sailing 160 miles out of our way, burning extra fuel and pushing the ship up to 17-19 kts for a day and half rather than the planned 14kts. More fuel wasted. Why? Because they can, because they said so....Disembarking in Shanghai was a bit better but still nonsence delays because they could. Oh, 3 days later leaving Shanghai by air, 6 different "security" and immigration inspections and customs......It was an amazing trip, Celebrity did a great job of trying to make it all work but there is no way I would ever go back to China....even with my good for 10 years visa.

Thanks Luann

Do you perhaps know who the Michaels club host was?

Sorry I don't ..we were not in a suite nor have we reached Zenith level...we'll get there when we are sailing in the skies!! :)...but when I looked in there was hardly anyone there...LuAnn

Glad to read your review. We are booked for a cruise from Tokyo to Shanghai in October 2018. Guess I'd better read up on the needed visas after I get the one for Australia for next February.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Feel free to ask questions when you're ready...but remember the Chinese seem to take this all very much as a "we do what we want...when we want"....:(. LuAnn

We were on Millie in January 2017. Lucy was the concierge in MC.

Lucy was still the host there this cruise.

Was busy at peak times/events, but agree it was quiet other times.

As for China, agree with Mr Click. The pollution continued to be out in force again in Shanghai this visit so stayed on board this time. A lot better ports in the area, and the rest of the cruise. There was some misinformation on board as well though. Was amused by the captain's subsequent clarification on some of it that we were only delayed because the pilot was onboard. And then subsequently that the Japanese pilots had much better technology and radar onboard so would not be an issue. ;-)

Was fortunate to see some late cherry blossoms in ports this cruise, usually where they were sheltered by a large structure so kept a little cooler.

We are in Tokyo after disembarking from "Millie" on Saturday AM...quite an adventure!!

The food...well we all know that is subjective...but we asked to meet with the F&B Manager because we thought the food in "Blu" was so poor...as well as in the Oceanview Cafe...he was very nice and took copious notes and seemed to really appeciate our in-put..the food in Blu was not what we had experienced many other times on many other X ships...all meats covered in gravy/or prime rib that could not be cut with a knife (even by a waiter) and cold food served in the Oceanview Cafe...such a disappointment based on our many, many past experiences.

Every cruise/ship/staff/service/food is different!! I can only tell you about my very recent experience. I wanted to post this as I know there have been many, many questions about these cruises in Asia and the visa problems...and I thought I'd "throw in" the rest of our experiences as well. Please ask questions...and I'll try and help/answer! LuAnn

Hi LuAnn,

Thanks for the information. We are thinking of booking Aqua on the Milly for a cruise around Japan and then on to Vancouver in April 2019. (If she's still around or doesn't get chartered) Did the food get any better after your meeting? I too noticed on our recent SA cruise that they put gravy on some meat entrees. I hope this isn't part of the new menus.

Where was your cabin and was it quiet? We were in 1130 on the Infinity and the vibrations were awful. Even people further forward complained and some demanded to be moved. Just wondering if it was the ship or all M class ships?

Any tips about the ports in Japan that you did?

Thanks again,

Cynthia

Hi LuAnn,

Thanks for the information. We are thinking of booking Aqua on the Milly for a cruise around Japan and then on to Vancouver in April 2019. (If she's still around or doesn't get chartered) Did the food get any better after your meeting? I too noticed on our recent SA cruise that they put gravy on some meat entrees. I hope this isn't part of the new menus.

Where was your cabin and was it quiet? We were in 1130 on the Infinity and the vibrations were awful. Even people further forward complained and some demanded to be moved. Just wondering if it was the ship or all M class ships?

Any tips about the ports in Japan that you did?

Thanks again,

Cynthia

Cynthia...the F&B Manager did meet with staff after our meeting...because the staff in Blu told us!!! (and he said he would)...I learned to just order all entrees' with "sauce on the side"...as all meat/fish/chicken seemed to come with the sauce!!! (BTW...we had the "old" menus). TBH some of the food in the "Oceanview" was still cold (mainly items in the big trays) and we didn't really see a change in any quality of the food...the staff were excellent the entire time...and we stressed that with the F& B Manager!!! and in our post cruise survey...we certainly didn't want the staff to receive any negative reviews for conditions beyond their control!!! We also met with 2 chefs from Blu (at their requests)...we really aren't "complainers" but we just felt the food was so "sub-par" we had to make our thoughts known.

Our cabin was 1108...the "new" ones that were added...not quite as far back as yours...in fact we had that same cabin on Infinity in '14...and didn't feel vibrations?...maybe that bit further back makes a difference? We like to book near the aft elevators...although on the M class it can be a bit rough to get mid-ships on deck 3!! :) We were actually quite happy to be so far aft as the fog horn for 20 + hours in Shanghai must have made sleeping really hard forward!!

Re a T/P in '18?...and Asia with the ship?...who knows which ships will be sold (based on the recent postings)...Azamara is starting to do Alaska and we have enjoyed AZ many times...so we booked the T/P for fall '19 from Alaska to TK...who knows if we will be alive to sail it...but we can hope, right? :cool: We are glad that we did this cruise...TBH the work I put into getting the "15 day visa waiver" to work for Shanghai was a PITA...but it did save our CC group a lot of $$...and I hope helped X, CCers and the travel groups learn how to "navigate" the waters of this new ruling...it was a FIRST for everyone apparently!! You certainly can see so much of this part of the world on a cruise...I would suggest you also consider AZ...but I know their price-point on cruises can be high...we only cruise them for crossings because of that!!

We used "Miki Tours" in Shanghai...and they went above and beyond to pull off the 15 day visa waiver for us!!!...Up until the very last minute Miki was receiving calls from all sorts of authorities demanding additional info (like copies of your passports when they only wanted the numbers before) and Miki herself greeted us upon the return of the tour at the ship as the "authorities" wanted a picture of the group to "prove" they had taken us on the tour!!! Our tour guide "Susie" was a delight and we had a wonderful day/lunch etc. and thought the city was amazing!!!

We used "Tours by Locals" for TK...and the gentleman who was scheduled to help us had to cancel at the last minute because his Father took ill...but he found us a replacement!...we spent 2 days in TK with him...both with him guiding us around via subway...TBH I was afraid of the subway and I KNOW we personally could not have seen a fraction of what we saw without his help!!!...he is a retired Personnel Director with a large Japanese company and was just a delightful gentleman. While I had pre-arranged the one day tour for the 8 of us CCers I asked him if he would take Kenneth and I to the Imperial Gardens on another day...and he did...all compensation was just for his travel expenses and his lunch..and of course we gave him a "Thank You" amount...the commercial tours in TK are quire expensive IMO and these 2 days were a bargain!!!!

I used "My Taiwan Tours" for Taiwan...guide was Ryan...a smart as a whip young man...we got lucky as the rain slowed down...had a great day with lunch at the famous "101 Tower".

I did not arrange the tour to Kyoto for our group...but we had a super day and I'm sure I could get the name of the company if you wanted it...I also arranged for the transfer from the ship to TK for our group...and can give you that if you want. So if you need any assistance with names for the guides in TK, the transfer in TK or the name of the guide in Kyoto let me know and I'll provide them!

It certainly was an awesome trip and one I would suggest you do...but do be prepared for immigration situations/visa situations...the Documentation Officer on board (Rose) was a gem and worked her "you know what off" to try and make it all go as smoothly as possible...but you have to remember you are dealing with the Chinese government and I guess they are unpredictable!!! :) LuAnn

It certainly was an awesome trip and one I would suggest you do...but do be prepared for immigration situations/visa situations...the Documentation Officer on board (Rose) was a gem and worked her "you know what off" to try and make it all go as smoothly as possible...but you have to remember you are dealing with the Chinese government and I guess they are unpredictable!!! :) LuAnn

Thanks so much LuAnn,

I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to answer so completely. It's people like you that make CC such a great site. I think I'll book the Millie and hope for the best. We won't be going to China so it will probably be Russia that gives us a bad time. We went on a Viking river cruise to China just before their Olympics and everyone was very accommodating then.

Did the ceiling lights in Blu shake and rattle during dinner?

We really thought they might come down on some nights. I really liked my aft cabin but when the captain went over 17 knots I thought I was attached to one of those old vibrating exercise belts.:D We only had high winds one day. Hopefully it's just on the Infinity.

Anyway, I'm considering 9106 that has gotten good reviews because it's under the carpeted area at the beginning of the buffet and therefore quiet. I've never been so concerned about a noisy cabin before, but after having to get up in the night and stick folded up paper in between things, I'm being over cautious.

Thanks again for all the information. I've put it in my Japan folder.

Cynthia

Thanks so much LuAnn,

I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to answer so completely. It's people like you that make CC such a great site. I think I'll book the Millie and hope for the best. We won't be going to China so it will probably be Russia that gives us a bad time. We went on a Viking river cruise to China just before their Olympics and everyone was very accommodating then.

We really thought they might come down on some nights. I really liked my aft cabin but when the captain went over 17 knots I thought I was attached to one of those old vibrating exercise belts.:D We only had high winds one day. Hopefully it's just on the Infinity.

Anyway, I'm considering 9106 that has gotten good reviews because it's under the carpeted area at the beginning of the buffet and therefore quiet. I've never been so concerned about a noisy cabin before, but after having to get up in the night and stick folded up paper in between things, I'm being over cautious.

Cynthia

You are so very welcome...I love CC and have tried over the years to give back info as I have received info!!! I appreciate your concern over noise...I'm a light sleeper and have spent many a night (in the dark) trying to figure out what is "creaking" and keeping me awake. We sailed on O's Marina when she was new and I had the poor engineers up in the cabin several times putting paper in as you describe!!! :p

Russia...which port? We have done a couple of T/Ps and one was from Alaska to Beijing...and we stopped in a Russian port...I don't think a visa was required for that port..but that was 2010 so who knows now?...TBH...it was gray, dark and sad...but I'm still glad we were able to experience that part of the world...the Russian's subs live there...but life seems very hard/gray/dark and sad!!! We did a shore excursion with other CCers that was really fun...we went to a "dasha" and had a wonderful lunch cooked by the local ladies in a private home...quite a treat really and one we remember fondly to this day...if you get a chance for something like that go for it!!!

Let me know if you need anything else...happy to help!!! LuAnn

Thanks so much LuAnn,

Cynthia

We were aft on Millie over Christmas and never had a problem with the cabin vibrating. The corner FV was fabulous :).

LuAnn I am headed to the Millie for the Transpacific May 7. Glad to see your input. I do have a frivolous question for you.

How was the Martin Bar? Any bars that seem more active than others? Can't wait to hit Cafe Al Bacio for a double latte. Did they use coupons or was the Elite only held in the Sky lounge?

thanks

Norma

LuAnn I am headed to the Millie for the Transpacific May 7. Glad to see your input. I do have a frivolous question for you.

How was the Martin Bar? Any bars that seem more active than others? Can't wait to hit Cafe Al Bacio for a double latte. Did they use coupons or was the Elite only held in the Sky lounge?

thanks

Norma

Norma...no coupons...and yes...the HH Elite was in the Sky Lounge...if Graham is still the CC host please tell him hi...he is pretty special!!..The Martini Bar was actually much less crowded than on previous sailings..but those were mostly on S Class ships..and that might be the difference?...and the first time I had a drink package since we do a lot of T/As where they don't apply!!! Have a great time...and please let me know if I can help any more!!!...LuAnn

Norma...no coupons...and yes...the HH Elite was in the Sky Lounge...if Graham is still the CC host please tell him hi...he is pretty special!!..The Martini Bar was actually much less crowded than on previous sailings..but those were mostly on S Class ships..and that might be the difference?...and the first time I had a drink package since we do a lot of T/As where they don't apply!!! Have a great time...and please let me know if I can help any more!!!...LuAnn

LuAnn I will certainly tell Grahme hello, He has been the CC host on two other cruises I have been on. I am a TA person too and am really missing one, looking at next April for another one.

Norma

LuAnn I will certainly tell Grahme hello, He has been the CC host on two other cruises I have been on. I am a TA person too and am really missing one, looking at next April for another one.

Norma

Well...come join us on Eclipse....MIA to Dublin. ...in late April...it will be fun!!!! LuAnn