Pricing of Haven rooms the month before departure

Run14

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks for all the information everyone - it's been amazing to be able to search for any question that could have possibly entered by head!

So I've been tracking the price of the Haven suites for the month before departure (Escape, sailing 4/29). I was originally curious because I wanted to get an upgrade but then just wondered if they drop prices based on cabin inventory availability or date. I couldn't find any reliable data so I figured I'd make my own. Obviously this isn't scientifically rigorous or anything but an interesting case.

As you can see from the attachments the correlation between cabin inventory and prices is nearly zero. It's pretty obvious that, at least on this cruise and on this month, the price was all driven by date if they had anything available. Hopefully this helps someone, I'm a nerd so I thought it was interesting!

344668912_CabinInventory.jpg.acbe381492a4ce266f98de996c0c13dd.jpg

122450236_CabinPrice.jpg.05e315d33da4d8e02074f7b81f3b6d2d.jpg

Very interesting and counter to what I thought it would be. I thought there would be some correlation, but there doesn't appear to be.

Now someone need to write a script to pull all of the prices and inventory from the entire fleet for all departures and rooms. Then someone might be able to gleen some patterns in the pricing. I'm a nerd too!

Agree that I'd like to see a script made for wide collection. I'm really surprised as well that the prices don't correlate to availability - they really need to hire someone from the airlines to change it - they have to be leaving a LOT of money on the table by not factoring that it (assuming this isn't an outlier)

Agree that I'd like to see a script made for wide collection. I'm really surprised as well that the prices don't correlate to availability - they really need to hire someone from the airlines to change it - they have to be leaving a LOT of money on the table by not factoring that it (assuming this isn't an outlier)

Please no one from the airlines. We have had numerous issues with our flight to BArcelona with United including my husband's seat next to me being given to someone else. How? Multiple answers but scary all the same. I have to check our reservation every couple of days. Our flight times have changed which is normal given we booked so early but no one from United including my requests for email updates ever came to me. And yes, I check my junk mail every day.

Now it would be nice to have someone figure out why the correlation between cabin inventory and prices is nearly zero. I have noticed my TAs prices change every few days similar to airlines for our cruises. No rhyme or reason. It is like luck of the draw.

The current suite prices don't really correlate to anything except driving the Upgrade Advantage bidding. Those who want to look at statistics can see some interesting trends in suite pricing, look up what you would have paid even a year or two ago and compare it to what NCL want's you to bid now: Just fix the typo in the spelling

https://www.criusefish.net/stats/old.md

I'm a nerd. I like charts. I like this, thanks :)

I have been keeping an eye on last minute summer cruises because I will be near a couple departure ports on my summer travels and figured I might jump on a ship for a solo cruise if the price dropped enough to make me not feel guilty for paying for 2 people and not bringing anybody else along.

For the last month or two, the prices I've been tracking (not Haven, just basic guarantee inside) have stayed exactly the same, no drops, no raises. Maybe that's because I'm already looking at the cheapest price available. I did find it interesting that the cost for the Breakaway to Bermuda and the cost for the Dawn to Bermuda are exactly the same. I'm new to Norwegian, but isn't the Dawn a much smaller, much older ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm a nerd. I like charts. I like this, thanks :)

I have been keeping an eye on last minute summer cruises because I will be near a couple departure ports on my summer travels and figured I might jump on a ship for a solo cruise if the price dropped enough to make me not feel guilty for paying for 2 people and not bringing anybody else along.

For the last month or two, the prices I've been tracking (not Haven, just basic guarantee inside) have stayed exactly the same, no drops, no raises. Maybe that's because I'm already looking at the cheapest price available. I did find it interesting that the cost for the Breakaway to Bermuda and the cost for the Dawn to Bermuda are exactly the same. I'm new to Norwegian, but isn't the Dawn a much smaller, much older ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, Dawn is older and smaller with fewer things. It was just refurbed but I "think" the pricing probably has to do with Boston being a strong market for NCL with trips to Bermuda.

Traveling with a group and had decided on the 5/13 Escape sailing more than 6 months ago. There has only been minimum fluctuation (+/- $100.) for all classes of cabins for the entire time I've been watching it. Living in South Florida, we have been last minute bargain bookers for several years. Unfortunately, these last minute bargains seem to have disappeared; the consensus is a combination of the drink package being included for most who want it AND the Upgrade Advantage Program.

Traveling with a group and had decided on the 5/13 Escape sailing more than 6 months ago. There has only been minimum fluctuation (+/- $100.) for all classes of cabins for the entire time I've been watching it. Living in South Florida, we have been last minute bargain bookers for several years. Unfortunately, these last minute bargains seem to have disappeared; the consensus is a combination of the drink package being included for most who want it AND the Upgrade Advantage Program.

I was told by our travel agent the last minute bargain deals were a thing of the past. Mostly due to the loyal cruise customers who book in advance complaining (for good reason I know) and the options available to them now for upgrades. Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was told by our travel agent the last minute bargain deals were a thing of the past. Mostly due to the loyal cruise customers who book in advance complaining (for good reason I know) and the options available to them now for upgrades. Would love to hear thoughts on this.

I definitely believe this. It makes sense for the cruise line to offer a sure thing (upgrade bidding) and make money rather than offer last minute deals on cabins that may or may not get sold. There's a larger market of folks willing to bid as opposed to those living near departure cities who don't have to worry about the cost of last minute airfare.

Pre internet I was a TA and if space was available on a ship we got to cruise for $25/day. Airlines gave agents 75% off coach fare so it was a great deal.

Your TA is exactly in line with NCL's current marketing policy. This paragraph taken directly from NCL's 2015 annual report shows that they are no longer looking to fill ships with last minute deals.

DRIVING HIGHER DEMAND TO DELIVER HIGHER YIELDS

Essential to driving higher per diems, which in turn drive higher yields, was building on the initiatives

implemented to promote organic growth. To drive higher yields in the Norwegian brand, we introduced

many of the Oceania Cruises and Regent brands’ proven and successful go-to-market strategies. This

meant supplanting Norwegian’s discount-to-fill approach of revenue management, whereby price

discounts were offered closer to sailing in order to ensure full ships, with a market-to-fill strategy.

This strategy maintains pricing integrity by (i) offering the best price early in the booking cycle and (ii) offering value added promotions when necessary to avoid compromising on price. Clear benefits of this initiative are already evidenced in an extended booking curve, allowing us to enter 2016 with an extremely advantageous booked position and significantly more revenue on the books than ever before.

LTL, FTPoster here, too. I appreciate this. I'm on the Getaway this weekend, and have been watching the pricing on my aft balcony and haven aft availability. I've noticed there really hasn't been a change in aft balcony pricing, but the haven prices have been dropping about $200/wk this last month. There were about four of those suites available a month ago, but currently the site indicates only one is available. The price has not dropped below $6099, either. It would be interesting to see if those other 3 were purchased, or given to bidders. I've had a bid in for the aft suite, but who in heck knows what their true deal is. I'd agree that it's definitely date driven. Interesting that the regular aft prices have not fluctuated, either.

LTL, FTPoster here, too. I appreciate this. I'm on the Getaway this weekend, and have been watching the pricing on my aft balcony and haven aft availability. I've noticed there really hasn't been a change in aft balcony pricing, but the haven prices have been dropping about $200/wk this last month. There were about four of those suites available a month ago, but currently the site indicates only one is available. The price has not dropped below $6099, either. It would be interesting to see if those other 3 were purchased, or given to bidders. I've had a bid in for the aft suite, but who in heck knows what their true deal is. I'd agree that it's definitely date driven. Interesting that the regular aft prices have not fluctuated, either.

If it's for this weekend I would guess they've started processing upgrades. We're sailing Saturday, had bids on H5 and H7 since early March. For over a week there were 3 and 6 cabins available respectively until I checked late yesterday morning and both showed sold out. A couple hours later I got our upgrade acceptance email. I can't imagine 9 high end cabins sold out that quickly.

If it's for this weekend I would guess they've started processing upgrades. We're sailing Saturday, had bids on H5 and H7 since early March. For over a week there were 3 and 6 cabins available respectively until I checked late yesterday morning and both showed sold out. A couple hours later I got our upgrade acceptance email. I can't imagine 9 high end cabins sold out that quickly.

Thanks for this! Yeah, same here. I thought it was weird that so many were ending up sold out suddenly, especially with regular aft balconies still available. We are Sunday, so should know soonish.

Your TA is exactly in line with NCL's current marketing policy. This paragraph taken directly from NCL's 2015 annual report shows that they are no longer looking to fill ships with last minute deals.

DRIVING HIGHER DEMAND TO DELIVER HIGHER YIELDS

Essential to driving higher per diems, which in turn drive higher yields, was building on the initiatives

implemented to promote organic growth. To drive higher yields in the Norwegian brand, we introduced

many of the Oceania Cruises and Regent brands’ proven and successful go-to-market strategies. This

meant supplanting Norwegian’s discount-to-fill approach of revenue management, whereby price

discounts were offered closer to sailing in order to ensure full ships, with a market-to-fill strategy.

This strategy maintains pricing integrity by (i) offering the best price early in the booking cycle and (ii) offering value added promotions when necessary to avoid compromising on price. Clear benefits of this initiative are already evidenced in an extended booking curve, allowing us to enter 2016 with an extremely advantageous booked position and significantly more revenue on the books than ever before.

Good to know since we recently booked an Aft Balcony nearly 2 years out! It's for our 40th Anniversary so wanted to splurge a bit! Have no desire to spend $6K each for a Haven Suite! Couldn't really afford, nor justify that cost. [emoji51]

Good to know since we recently booked an Aft Balcony nearly 2 years out! It's for our 40th Anniversary so wanted to splurge a bit! Have no desire to spend $6K each for a Haven Suite! Couldn't really afford, nor justify that cost. [emoji51]

Nope, without the upgrade program and CAS we couldn't afford Haven. Had an inside cabin on Epic in January for our 15th anniversary so we're really looking forward to the H5 on Saturday!

We booked on the Bliss the first day of booking and got the last aft suite. We paid 6600 per person for a 15 day cruise. When you break that price down by weeks, the price per person per week is 3300 which is not bad. however, I am seeing 7 day Alaska cruises in a haven courtyard suite going for 5k and up. My strategy has always been to book as soon as sailings are available in order to get the lowest price.

Are you booked on Bliss? Anything Bliss/Haven has inflated prices.

I assume you figured Sylvia is on Pearl 10 day Eastern Carib mid Feb, 2019. Haven's for her cruise currently $5.1K to $14Kpp, in 2015 the on same basic cruise Havens were $3.5K to $10.7Kpp at same time out from the cruise. That is around an average 45% increase - GV skews it a little lower, unfortunately I've seen higher percent increases. All ship's suites are inflated.