Specialty Dining Package -- Is it Worth the Money?

richmondhiller

We have booked three of the specialty restaurants (La Cucina, Cagney's and Le Bistro) on the one-week Greek islands cruise out of Venice on May 14. My question is -- is it worth purchasing the three-meal specialty dining package for $109 Cdn (about $80 US) per person (does not include the 18 per cent service charge)? I am having trouble finding individual menu prices for comparison purposes or even what the package includes (i.e., do you get an appetizer, main course, dessert and coffee in each restaurant with the package). Any insight/advice is appreciated.

If you purchase the 3-meal package before sailing, it costs US$69 + 18%, so I think the price you are seeing probably includes the 18% (US$81.42 total). So that's about US$27 per meal. If you pay à la carte for a full meal at these restaurants (3 courses), it will cost at least that much, possibly a lot more if you choose the more expensive dishes. I would say that the package is worth it for all but the lightest eaters.

With the package you are limited to one main dish, but you can usually order as many appetizers, side items, and desserts as you want. Filter coffee is free, as it is everywhere else on the ship. (If you want espresso, it is not included in the dining package.)

To get an idea of the à la carte pricing, have a look here for 2017 Breakaway menus. The menus on the Star (I'm guessing you're on the Star?) may be slightly different, but this will give you a pretty accurate idea of the prices fleetwide.

Oh its worth it. You get more for your buck and get to enjoy the meal with whatever you want to eat. If you going with someone else and they get it as well then you get to sample all kinds of different food that you may not be able to afford or would spend a lot more because you don't have a dining package. I always get one when I cruise Norwegian.

For us, even though we have no problem with the MDR we love the specialty dining rooms. Just off the BA a few weeks ago, it was a 7 day cruise, we ate once in the MDR, We are platinum plus and had the 3 night package. One night we ate at the buffet. That I would not do again.

We have booked three of the specialty restaurants (La Cucina, Cagney's and Le Bistro) on the one-week Greek islands cruise out of Venice on May 14. My question is -- is it worth purchasing the three-meal specialty dining package for $109 Cdn (about $80 US) per person (does not include the 18 per cent service charge)? I am having trouble finding individual menu prices for comparison purposes or even what the package includes (i.e., do you get an appetizer, main course, dessert and coffee in each restaurant with the package). Any insight/advice is appreciated.

We always get the dining package on NCL. Cagney's is our favorite, with La Cucina and Le Bistro close behind. The Tomahawk steak at Cagney's is not to be missed. We usually dine at Cagney's twice per cruise! The specialty dining on NCL is better than on most other cruise lines while the main dining room food is below average in my opinion.

I believe the specialty dining package is worth it... depending on the restaurant. For the a la cart restaurants, we can often come up cheaper than the package price. For example, at Los Lobos on the Dawn, we ordered two appetizers, and it was more than enough for the two of us. We were under $10 a piece.

So when we get the package, we use it for the set price restaurants (Brazilian and Japanese) and the steak restaurant.

on the BA it was well worth it. cagneys can get expensive. ocean blue is 15 extra but i didnt mind paying that. i dont know why, just didnt. service is much better and faster at the specialties compared to my 90 to 120 minute experiences in MDRs whether lunch or dinner. also one great thing is NCL lets you choose the time and place for your SDP. found out RCI doesnt.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know how much a 3 day dining package is if purchased onboard rather than online? We are going on the Star later on in the year and have some onboard credit on use!!! Presumably it will be more expensive. I've not used the speciality restaurants before but after reading these reviews I'm keen to give them a go....

The Specialty Restaurants are pretty good, and I enjoy them very much when I gt them as a perk and only have to pay the 18% gratuity or when I get them as part of my Platinum Package. However, as a purchase I question the value, because what you have to consider as what you are paying is the price of the dining package, plus what you have already paid for your included meals that those meals will replace. So you are paying twice for that meal in the Specialty Restaurant.

Lots of people have answered as to whether the speciality restaurants are worth it, which is very subjective.

What the OP actually asked (and it is irrelevant now anyway, as they sailed over two months ago) is whether it is worth buying the SDP rather than paying for each meal individually, if you have already decided you are going to have three meals, which is a rather different question.

That is rather simpler to answer. Unless you order very little then the SDP will almost certainly be cheaper than paying for three meals individually.

... However, as a purchase I question the value, because what you have to consider as what you are paying is the price of the dining package, plus what you have already paid for your included meals that those meals will replace. So you are paying twice for that meal in the Specialty Restaurant.

Well, sort of.

A different way to look at it is to say you are paying EXTRA for the speciality meal. Not paying twice.

Or say it this way: You can eat meal (A) in the MDR, or for $25 more you can eat meal (B) in Cagneys. ($$ value is just for discussion).

At the end of the day you either pay nothing for meal A, or $25 for meal B. You do not pay twice. Yes, technically you paid for meal A in your cruise fare, but that is similar to saying you paid to go swimming, but did not go, so you threw that money away. LOL!!!

I would agree that paying extra is sometimes questionable since you can get a meal at the buffet, MDR or O'sheehans for no extra bucks.

However, as a purchase I question the value, because what you have to consider as what you are paying is the price of the dining package, plus what you have already paid for your included meals that those meals will replace. So you are paying twice for that meal in the Specialty Restaurant.
How much do you estimate you've already paid for your included meals? (I don't believe there is a correct answer to that question, just wondering what figure you would put on it.) Because the fact that you're paying in two installments is kind of irrelevant for determining the value; it only matters how much you end up paying in total.

It's clear that if you know you want to have at least three specialty meals, and you are an average to big eater, you should purchase a package.

If you can get similar meals at home for less than say $50 (including tip but not including drinks), then specialty dining on board NCL is not good value for you. Totally up to you to decide what counts as "similar" — look at what people try to compare Cagney's to on land, it's all over the place. This is assuming that the price of an SDP credit is $30 (rounded up) and that you have already paid $20 for dinner in your cruise fare (which I think is a very generous estimate).

Edited by hawkeyetlse

its worth if it you will eat a minimum of appetizer, entree and dessert.

the better question may be is it worth eating at the specialties. for us, they arent that much better than the MDR's so we choose now to only eat at them with our platinum vouchers. not worth the extra money (although they used to be very good, they have gone downhill).

I'm wondering what to do now!!! Someone has told me the food onboard NCL isn't as good as RCI and maybe to go for a SDP. I have $300 onboard credit and a drinks package included...I chose Star from Venice for the ports Kotor, Dubrovnik, Corfu,Santorini, Mykonos, didn't think we needed to use the expensive excursions onboard....I could always spend the credit in the Spa instead I suppose?? Anybody got any suggestions for me...please!!!

"The Specialty Restaurants are pretty good, and I enjoy them very much when I gt them as a perk and only have to pay the 18% gratuity or when I get them as part of my Platinum Package. However, as a purchase I question the value, because what you have to consider as what you are paying is the price of the dining package, plus what you have already paid for your included meals that those meals will replace. So you are paying twice for that meal in the Specialty Restaurant". AGREED!

I'm wondering what to do now!!! Someone has told me the food onboard NCL isn't as good as RCI and maybe to go for a SDP. I have $300 onboard credit and a drinks package included...I chose Star from Venice for the ports Kotor, Dubrovnik, Corfu,Santorini, Mykonos, didn't think we needed to use the expensive excursions onboard....I could always spend the credit in the Spa instead I suppose?? Anybody got any suggestions for me...please!!!

Since you have $300 OBC which is not earmarked for anything else, why not buy the dining package after boarding and use a portion of the $ for that? ( You need to buy on day 1 or 2 ). I think you will greatly enjoy the specialties as a suppliment to, change of scenery from the MDRs. Food is very subjective. I have seen reviews which state that they enjoyed NCL food more than RCI's. Regardless, the Specialty food is a notch up from the MDR regardless of which line you are talking about, as is the ambiance.

I find with the 3-day SDP that Moderno does not end up being a good deal. At $69, that's an average of $23 per meal (plus 18%, so $27.14). Moderno is $24.95 (plus 18%, so $29.44). Obviously if you get the SDP as a perk you're ahead either way, but if there were four speciality restaurants you wanted to try and had to charge one to your room, Moderno should be the one you pay for.

Of course, if you're buying the SDP on it's own and want to go to four spots, spend the extra $15 to get the 4-day plan.

on breakaway i dined at cagneys (1), ocean blue (2), tepanyaki (2), la cucina (1) over 2 sailing

except for la cuchina, i dont think any free options on the breakaway came close to the food and experience i had the other 3 restaurants so there is a value there. i do think its a rip off to have 15 dollar charge ON top of the SDP for ocean blue though. but hey they allow shorts for dinner on the deck so who can complain :)

Since you have $300 OBC which is not earmarked for anything else, why not buy the dining package after boarding and use a portion of the $ for that? ( You need to buy on day 1 or 2 ). I think you will greatly enjoy the specialties as a suppliment to, change of scenery from the MDRs. Food is very subjective. I have seen reviews which state that they enjoyed NCL food more than RCI's. Regardless, the Specialty food is a notch up from the MDR regardless of which line you are talking about, as is the ambiance.

I think I'll go with your plan Brenda...thanks for the advice!

The meals in the buffet are fineactually quite good .?the specialty restaurants are excellent .in the Brazilian their salad bar is amazing lots of great stuff

I usually stick to fillet mignon and cheesy fries wirh asparagus ...everything is deeelicious ..at .cagneys

The brazilian has great meats ...save yourself for the ones you really like ...fillet, sirloin, lambchops

I found lamb chops at Bistro excellent

Lots of good choices ...enjoy