Private electronic devices not allowed?

steve ch

I noticed the following in yesterday's "Today" on board the Reflection, as kindly posted by Pabellamy.

"Electronic Devices

Due to safety reasons, we kindly request our guests not to use private electronic devices in their staterooms such as multiple chargers."

Now WHAT does that mean?

It's not great English but they mean that devices where you can plug multiple cords in to charge your computer, phone etc. aren't allowed. This has been discussed many times here on Cruise Critic. The kind with surge protectors are fire hazards on ships. They aren't doing a good job of explaining it, though.

Edited by cruisestitch

They aren't doing a good job of explaining it, though.

That's putting it mildly. This message clearly states that you shouldn't plug any electronic device in!

A multiple charger isn't the same as an extension cord. The message implies that you can no longer use the multi output USB charger bricks that I for one find invaluable.

If your charger/strip only has two prongs, there should be zero risk using it on a ship. If it has a grounded plug (3 prongs), there is a risk to the ship (and you) if the surge protector circuit is triggered. That's a US statement, of course.

If your charger/strip only has two prongs, there should be zero risk using it on a ship. If it has a grounded plug (3 prongs), there is a risk to the ship (and you) if the surge protector circuit is triggered. That's a US statement, of course.

The instruction isn't limited to charger/strips with three prongs. It covers ANY electronic device, which these days means just about everything!

I agree (hope!) that they are probably just referring to power strips, but it's not helpful when the advice is so badly worded.

Anyone who takes this notice at face value will, in theory, not be able to use any of the power sockets in the cabin.

I agree, it's a very poorly worded statement that would confuse anyone with a laptop/tablet or phone charging cord with a 3 prong adapter attachment. It concerns the multiple power strips with surge protectors though, and it's very common to walk past a table full of them(and other banned items)when checking in and boarding because they've been confiscated(they get returned at the end of the cruise).

When my DW read this yesterday she was worried as we have a dual USB plug that were using. I said it means extension sockets, rather than plugs. Our stateroom attendant hasn't mentioned it and the USB plug is sitting by the sockets when not in use.

91ad2984e0714005bfa63b0df8f4abf5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums