Embarkation Day Restaurants

CurtS

Doing our first NCL Getaway this fall and decided to follow Cruise Critic's recommendation of (1) skipping the buffet on embarkation day and (2) avoiding the elevators. However, we do have a child with a disability who is pretty limited on how long he can walk. Can anyone recommend the best restaurant(s) to go to after we embark so we don't have to wander about looking for one to get our first meal of the trip? Thank you, everyone, for the wonderful feedback I've seen in the forum--it certainly has been helpful.

We like O'Sheehans on embarkation, but don't be put off the buffet. Sure it's busy, it's always busy. But the choice and quality are tremendous. I laugh like hell when I hear folk on hear referring to it in derogatory terms.

The same with the advice about the elevators, take it with a pinch of salt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you all. NCLfamily, I'll do a little scouting on my own before I commit to not using the buffet or elevators. The elevators would certainly be a godsend for our child.

Not sure if this has changed, but on my last GA trip (about 6 Months ago). The MDR was not open, but either Taste or Savor was. It was very quiet inside, as their was a staff member at the door suggesting (strongly) that we go up to the buffet.

Don't forget to contact the access desk for priority embarkation and disembarkation for your child due to his disability.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you, Dayana. This is the first cruise since he was old enough to walk and I was unaware that there was a priority embarkation for disabled children. We were concerned about him standing for several hours waiting in line. I will check into that.

Aboard the Jade last wee we dined in the Grand Pacific for embarkation lunch .

So relaxing when compared with the Garden Café lunch buffet and it was 1/2 empty .

No searching for tables ( this cruise had an exceptional number of people reserving tables with a book or lingering well after they finished eating.)

Doing our first NCL Getaway this fall and decided to follow Cruise Critic's recommendation of (1) skipping the buffet on embarkation day and (2) avoiding the elevators. However, we do have a child with a disability who is pretty limited on how long he can walk. Can anyone recommend the best restaurant(s) to go to after we embark so we don't have to wander about looking for one to get our first meal of the trip? Thank you, everyone, for the wonderful feedback I've seen in the forum--it certainly has been helpful.

Taste, Savor and O'Sheehans are all close to where you get on the ship and an easy walk. If you board in an early group and get to lunch by noon you should be fine getting a table at any of the three sit down restaurants. We typically avoid the buffet the first day for lunch as it can be chaotic! :)