MITSUGIRLY decides to CONQUEST new ports-complete pictorial review

mitsugirly

Thank you so so much. I am so proud of her and her artistic ability. She has been drawing since she was 3 years old and her preschool teachers brought her "detailed drawings" to my attention and even donated stacks and stacks of paper to her for summer break because they knew she would use it up...and she did!

I am desperately trying to find a school that caters to her abilities, but so far, I have only been able to find a middle school...so she has 2 more years to go before she can enter a school of art program. Until then, I guess she will continue to practice.

She was tested, last year in 2nd grade, and was determined to be "gifted" in the arts, but nothing more ever came of it and I didn't need them to "test" her to tell me that. I'm really not sure what the purpose of it was for.

I continue to see the improvement every year. I can't wait to see what this year brings.

If your artist mom has any suggestions for improvement or things I could help her out with...please let me know.

One "odd" thing about her and her drawings...she usually can only draw with pens or markers. She has tried many times with crayons and pencils (and I try to convince her that with a pencil, she can erase if she makes a mistake...she claims she never makes a mistake :')). She is NOT good at coloring and NOT good at painting (I wanted to try to find a "paint night" for us to go to around here, but they all only cater to adults :(). She is also VERY FAST at her drawings. Some very detailed ones can take her about 10 minutes and she's done. She has a photographic memory and will see an animal and several hours later go back and draw every single detail about it.

She's so talented!! I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler. I usually lurk and read your reviews but I absolutely enjoy them. I've even linked them to my friends to convince them to join me at Sugar Beach in St Lucia and Carambola in St Kitts on our upcoming November cruise

Back to the review...

As soon as we made it on the ship (almost 1pm) we decided to see if we could find our room and drop our things off.

We decided to book an interior room this time around, based on pricing for spring break and buying a house and everything else going on with our lives, and it was on deck 1. I have found that I really enjoy these rooms a lot (the lower decks, not necessarily the interiors). I really like being able to just walk down a flight of steps and off the ship in ports as well as getting back on the ship and walking up a flight of steps and being at my room! So much nicer than fighting for your spot on a crowded elevator when people are returning from port. Ahhh, the little things.

We were in room 1451, which was located toward the back of the ship. Like I said, I didn't put much thought into the ship and I didn't research the location either (big mistake on my part). This would be a first for me not really even knowing WHERE our room was. Now don't get me wrong, the room was fine but I usually try to book my room based on the kids club and walking distance from there. Well, the kids club happened to be on the front of the ship...oh joy! Oh well, there goes all that walking off the calories already. I'll live.

Here are the FuN~TiMeS for the first day~

P4240029%20copy-XL.jpg

P4240030%20copy-XL.jpg

And here is our home*sweet*home for the next week.

P4150069%20copy-L.jpg

Would ya get a load of that pink trim!! Yikes!

Once again, it was odd that they already had the bed pulled down. Did they talk to the employees at the Hyatt? Usually the beds are up and the room steward asks if we'd like it down only at night or left down. I prefer for the bed to be put up during the day to make more space and to be able to walk on the side of the bed easier. However, they already had this one down...where it would remain down the entire cruise! Eh. Everyone knows I'm not a complainer and I usually don't speak up too much about little quirks that I don't like. I did throw several hints out during the week that I would like it up...for instance pushing it up myself a few times...but I guess he didn't get the hint. Oh well. We don't spend a lot of time in the room to begin with anyhow and Sakari always preferred to sit up there instead of down below when we were in the room.

P4150070%20copy-L.jpg

The other odd thing I found was that the room steward did not even put the ladder up at night. We had to do it each time. Not that Sakari can't just climb up and jump back down but she requested for it to be attached at night in case she had to get up and go to the restroom in the middle of the night. She knew we probably wouldn't appreciate it if she did a dismount onto our bed from hers.

This was a 4 person room with another drop down bed from the ceiling on the other side.

I felt that the room was a pretty decent size to be an interior. There was PLENTY of storage space for 3 people. I had all kinds of drawers, shelves and hanging areas. Lots of options!

Also, see the little table in the picture below beside the ladder? That was a cool little table that you could pull over to the bed and have a snack/meal or in Sakari's case-draw. It also went up and down to whatever size you needed it to be. Great idea! The end table beside it (in the picture) is where the refrigerator was located! Now some say these are just "coolers" and don't get things very cold. But this one worked really good! But the time our pop was delivered, we put it in there and by that evening it was cold.

P4150072%20copy-L.jpg

There was a desk in front of our bed, which had the convenient 1 plug for all your electronic needs. (giggle). The safe was also located here behind the doors, under the tv, and you use a card to swipe for opening and closing.

P4150073%20copy-L.jpg

I am so happy you are doing this review!!!! Love all your reviews!!! I just booked on the Conquest, a new ship for us not new ports, but new for Kids and Grandson, our Summer Family Cruise! I was a little apprehensive about the first floor, so so glad to see you are on the first floor too! Following along! Thank you!

Thank you so much for this review, I always enjoy them. We will be on the Conquest next March in a Grand Scenic Ocean View but different itinerary than yours.. Looks like very different décor than the others I have been on.

Yay!!! I finally was able to read everything so far. I was at camp with my daughters school last week and been busy but looked for your review as I knew it had to be starting soon. I spent the last few days reading it...LOVE it.

I am going to the A & C islands this summer too...so I am super excited to hear your thoughts. Aruba looks so beautiful! We have an excursion planned in the morning, but I hope to have some free time in port to shop around and check out some places. Now I am wishing for beach time...but we will have some of that in Curacao.

Thanks again for another fabulous report!

I love your reviews Mitsugirly!!! I was so excited to see this one pop up because we are hitting the same ports in June on the Splendor.

Question for you...where do you get the mermaid tails for Sakari? My daughter would *love* one but I want to make sure to get one that can go in the water, not just look cute.

Loving the review! We did this exact itinerary on Conquest last Aug and your review is bringing back fond memories. Aruba was our favorite port as well and if you go back, I highly recommend Trikes Aruba tour.

Thank you so much for this review, I always enjoy them. We will be on the Conquest next March in a Grand Scenic Ocean View but different itinerary than yours.. Looks like very different décor than the others I have been on.

How far in advance did you have to book to get the Grand Scenic Ocean View? We recently had a Scenic Ocean View on the Sunshine and absolutely loved it. We have someone checking for a Grand but have been unsuccessful.

You will love doing a land trip to Aruba. I have stayed a week there three times and can't wait to go back!!!

I will definitely be checking out the pricing and see if it's something we would rather do than another cruise...maybe this summer.

tell him that the sad part is that i spent at least 5 minutes before hitting "submit reply" trying to shorten that darn post (obviously unsuccessfully). I have been known to talk to walls and inanimate objects at times. At least i'm never lonely

Oh my gosh...that's hilarious. I'm definitely going to have to tell him that.

YES!! At least do a PICTURE review on Curacao!!! You said it's your favorite port now and you can't just drop a bomb like that and not tell and show everyone why!!!

awesome review.....love Sakari's Mermaid tails and especially her drawings.....please paint some too!

love the review....Sakari's Mermaid tails are awesome and her drawings are fantastic....but Sakari, please paint some too!

She has tried painting...it just looks like a blob. She's really only good at drawing at this point. She can't even color without it looking like a 2 year old did it. :o

Finally decided to comment. Love your reviews and have learned so much. It's like a blog. And like "Buckett" said I too was saying but you have the card of the taxi driver. And also when looking for the bus terminal I was saying to the computer screen.. "it's right down the street and riding the bus was great adventure to see that beautiful island"

Thanks so much for commenting and glad you enjoy the reviews. I can't believe I didn't think of the card when we were sitting there wondering how we were going to get back. But honestly, I'm glad I didn't call for the cab because, since they don't allow more than 5 people, that meant that we would have to split up and I really didn't want to do that or leave thrilled and the kids behind alone. There just weren't many people left and it was almost dark. I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving them behind while they wait on another cab (I'm sure once our cab guy got there he could call another for her, but probably wouldn't be too happy to wait around for another to come for them). But...the bus was FUN and I enjoyed it more than a cab ride. So, I'm glad it worked out.

It's funny, that's not the only thing that I forgot about during the vacation. I actually just remembered something else for the first time yesterday and had to laugh about it.

Mistugirly, love your awesome reviews. Doing this itinerary on the Vista next year. So it's super helpful. All your reviews have been helpful and I usually will always check your reviews to see if you've been to the ports we are going to as a reference.. because your always so detailed and accurate. Thank you for taking the time to do these wonderful reviews.

Aww, that's so sweet. Thanks so much!

Loving your pictures. I am trying to get caught up on your review but only made it to page 12. So much information shared, thank you.

Thanks and glad you are enjoying it.

She's so talented!! I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler. I usually lurk and read your reviews but I absolutely enjoy them. I've even linked them to my friends to convince them to join me at Sugar Beach in St Lucia and Carambola in St Kitts on our upcoming November cruise

Oh how nice and thanks for the comment. LOL about the straight line with a ruler. :')

I am so happy you are doing this review!!!! Love all your reviews!!! I just booked on the Conquest, a new ship for us not new ports, but new for Kids and Grandson, our Summer Family Cruise! I was a little apprehensive about the first floor, so so glad to see you are on the first floor too! Following along! Thank you!

Thanks and glad you are enjoying it. Yea, I love the lower levels. This one was a little loud when pulling into port, but nothing too annoying.

Thanks for coming in and reading the review. Glad you like it.

Looks like Sakari has some of Mom's picture taking talents. She got some some really nice photos. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

What camera did you get for her?

Yes, she's doing pretty good with her new camera. Wait until you see her underwater pictures coming up. We all had a bit of a blooper that day with all 3 of our camera's, but I'll explain that later. She's got a pretty artist eye at times.

I believe we got her the 620 model.

Yay!!! I finally was able to read everything so far. I was at camp with my daughters school last week and been busy but looked for your review as I knew it had to be starting soon. I spent the last few days reading it...LOVE it.

I am going to the A & C islands this summer too...so I am super excited to hear your thoughts. Aruba looks so beautiful! We have an excursion planned in the morning, but I hope to have some free time in port to shop around and check out some places. Now I am wishing for beach time...but we will have some of that in Curacao.

Thanks again for another fabulous report!

Hiya friend and glad you were able to find it.

Will you be going on the Conquest? Or is there another ship that goes there? I would like to go back, but want a different ship.

I love your reviews Mitsugirly!!! I was so excited to see this one pop up because we are hitting the same ports in June on the Splendor.

Question for you...where do you get the mermaid tails for Sakari? My daughter would *love* one but I want to make sure to get one that can go in the water, not just look cute.

Wait, so the Splendor does this same route too? I'll have to check this out.

The mermaid tails come from (put it all together) fin fun mermaid dot com. Sakari told me about it years ago and then I made her practice swimming with the feet/legs together for about 2 years before I was convinced that she earned her fin. :') We've been buying they from there since. So many styles to chose from and too little beach time for her!

Loving the review! We did this exact itinerary on Conquest last Aug and your review is bringing back fond memories. Aruba was our favorite port as well and if you go back, I highly recommend Trikes Aruba tour.

I had heard and read about the Trikes tour and it looked like a lot of fun. If Kendra would have ended up booking with us (which there were planning on it for awhile there before they changed it up to a Vegas vacation), then we were planning on booking it. (They all ride motorcycles and would have loved this).

Haven't cruised Carnival the last two years, but still love the Carnival board and loving this review!

Thanks for posting, Mitsugirly!

Thanks so much and glad you love the review.

Hi Kim, thanks for another awesome review. Doing this same itinerary in July, but on the Vista, and going on Conquest in August for 5 days so I am really enjoying the ship pictures! I am kind of freaking out over your Seavis Tour taxi debacle...we are booked on the same tour and I am really worried about the taxi situation. It will just be me and my child, so I'm not really sure what to do except plan on being in the first group off the ship and walk straight towards the taxi area and ask for Taxi Casa de Campo per the instructions. It sounds like that's what you guys did and still had problems? :eek: Regardless, I am still enjoying your review-thank you for all the time you put into it!

Whew, sorry about the delay. There's a lot going on here at my house and my kids just left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We usually cruise during Sakari's Spring Break since there was one year that we didn't do/go anywhere and it just about killed me knowing everyone I knew actually "got out of town". I said "never again" and I meant it. So, Spring Break is always a given time for us and for some reason, we always end up on Carnival for that cruise. This time would be no different. However, this year her Spring Break was a little late compared to others and all the previous years.

I started searching cruises available and knew that I wanted something "new" again...new ship, new ports with the ports being the priority. For several years we went back and forth between the Western and Eastern (with the Western being the most traveled) and for the last several years, we have been trying to do "new" (to us) ports...such as Southern and Bermuda.

At this point, I didn't care WHICH ship, as long as it went to any new ports. I came very close to doing a cruise before, that went to the ABC islands (something I have always wanted to do), and ended up booking something else that was new for us. I couldn't find an ABC cruise this time around, so...I settled for A & C and whatever else came with it.

We decided on the Conquest: Grand Turk (already been there a few times now and enjoy it) and 3 NEW PORTS FOR US!!! La Romana, Dominican Republic, Aruba, and Curacao!!! I was super excited to experience these places. I knew nothing about the Conquest and had never been on that class ship, but knew that others seem to like it a lot. So...we booked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BOOKING INFORMATION:

I recently discovered something I didn't know about for a few years now. This REALLY benefits us and I wish I would have learned about this earlier. But, better late (my late, not Kendra's type of late) than never.

My husband owns his own business (a store that sells bikes, blades, scooters, skateboards, penny boards, wake boards and long boards....because even though you can't tell these days, he used to be a bladder and was really fit and it's his passion...so they always say work in something you are passionate about and you will succeed). We have a Southwest Business card that earns points. Ok, this is nothing new. HOWEVER....I recently found out (using a good old google search for something else I was trying to figure out using points) that SW has Carnival gift cards! SCORE!!!! I had no idea. In the past, I have been frantically and impatiently waiting for the Carnival gift cards to show up randomly on Verizon to purchase them at a discounted price and then other times I have went to my local grocery store to 1) purchase the cards using my credit card to earn cash back on the cc, then 2) earning free gas using the points from the purchase (I once had free gas for...I think it was 3 months and 2 days)...but NOW...whoa...we are taking it to an entirely different level now!

So, I used some of our points to purchase the gift cards to pay for our cruise. THEN I purchased more gift cards to use as OBC on the ship. So what does this mean you might ask? IT MEANS FREE CRUISING!!!!!!!!!! Yes! I have found a way to cruise for free now!

It doesn't get any better than that....or does it? Well you are about to find out!

Next....Since we also earn so many points, we also fly for free. Every time we reach 110,000 points in a year (which we can do in a month) you get a "companion pass" and the companion will fly for free for the rest of that current year PLUS the following year until December, potentially getting almost 2 free years of flying. Sam is my companion (he claims these benefits comes to him with the ring on his finger) and Sakari and I book using all the points. Basically, we each pay $5.60/pp to fly (imposed 911 fee you HAVE to pay).

Summing this up so far...

1) Free cruise

2) Free OBC for everything we do while on the ship

3) Flying there and back for free.

It can't possibly get any better right?

Moving on...

A little more research revealed that there were also certain hotels that you could either buy gift cards for or gift certificates. Well whatcha think 'bout that? I would also be able to purchase the certificates for my hotel stay=free again!

Life doesn't get any better right?

Well, yea that's about right for now. At least until I find other ways to beat the system. (I have also found gift cards and tickets for places like Sea World and Universal Studios and we have also been using points for those for mini vacations as well).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I purchased mounds of Carnival gifts cards, booked the cruise and purchased more for the cruise.

P4240005%20copy-L.jpg

Oh yea, the other good thing about these cards and purchasing them using SW is that their office (that ships the cards) is located here in my state and once it's processed, I receive them within 2 days.

Once my cruise was booked, I was off to research each port and find new ideas for our water-loving family to experience. That's usually where the fun begins. :D

Your review is AWESOME! I will be searching for your other reviews when I finish this one! Just for clarification as I am always trying to learn as much as possible about efficient ways to travel: so you used your cc to purchase Carnival gift cards and paid for your cruise with them AND you used the points that you earned from the purchase of those gift cards to purchase more gift cards so they could be used as OBC. In the meantime, if you buy the cards at a grocery store you get fuel saver points on top of all of that?! I'm cruising Disney in January for the first time. I still have a balance to pay in a few months. What you're saying is I should find a local retailer (I think I've seen ppl on cc say Costco sells Disney gift cards) and buy gift cards for the remaining balance and pay for that balance with the gift cards I purchased then use the cc points I got to purchase additional gift cards and use as on board credits for the cruise PLUS I'd get fuel saver points from Costco for gas so I'm WINNING all the way around?! Is that what you're saying?! Hopefully so!! Super excited about your answer. Lol. Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yea! I was hoping your gap in posts meant you were on another cruise, and I am so glad I was right. :cool:

(No, I'm not a stalker. I was looking for your Blue Kay review and happened to notice. We are going to try Blue Kay after doing Maya Chan and Almaplena...)

We are going to Maya Chan later this year. We were back and forth between Maya Chan and Yaya. What made you choose MC? Did you look into Yaya? My husband researched the area and voted MC so that was the extent of it for us but I just noticed your post and wanted to get info about your stay there. Thanks [emoji2]

Your review is AWESOME! I will be searching for your other reviews when I finish this one! Just for clarification as I am always trying to learn as much as possible about efficient ways to travel: so you used your cc to purchase Carnival gift cards and paid for your cruise with them AND you used the points that you earned from the purchase of those gift cards to purchase more gift cards so they could be used as OBC. In the meantime, if you buy the cards at a grocery store you get fuel saver points on top of all of that?! I'm cruising Disney in January for the first time. I still have a balance to pay in a few months. What you're saying is I should find a local retailer (I think I've seen ppl on cc say Costco sells Disney gift cards) and buy gift cards for the remaining balance and pay for that balance with the gift cards I purchased then use the cc points I got to purchase additional gift cards and use as on board credits for the cruise PLUS I'd get fuel saver points from Costco for gas so I'm WINNING all the way around?! Is that what you're saying?! Hopefully so!! Super excited about your answer. Lol. Thanks!!!

I think what she is saying is that she uses her business CC, that the business purchases a huge amount of product accumulated a HUGE amount of points using those points to get the gift cards to pay for the cruise. Essentially because the company runs so much inventory she is able to get many, many 100$ Carnival gift cards to pay for her cruise as well as expenses on the cruise.

Honestly, this is pretty brilliant but would only work well fro someone who has a business where they use a business CC to pay for purchases and incur a decent amount of points.

Hi Kim, thanks for another awesome review. Doing this same itinerary in July, but on the Vista, and going on Conquest in August for 5 days so I am really enjoying the ship pictures! I am kind of freaking out over your Seavis Tour taxi debacle...we are booked on the same tour and I am really worried about the taxi situation. It will just be me and my child, so I'm not really sure what to do except plan on being in the first group off the ship and walk straight towards the taxi area and ask for Taxi Casa de Campo per the instructions. It sounds like that's what you guys did and still had problems? Regardless, I am still enjoying your review-thank you for all the time you put into it!

Well congrats on the the Vista cruise. I wanna try the Vista...just need to figure out the perfect place to go and if it's going there. ;p

Yea, I really don't know about the whole taxi thing. It was just a hot mess. Thrilled got out there before me and I felt like we got off as soon as we could and we were all waiting. I honestly have no idea how others got there and were on the boat waiting. Maybe they put them in a taxi since they were bigger groups than ours and all going to the same place. I just know it was a really crappy system and the way they had us waiting there forever almost cost us (and did cost thrilled) our excursion.

Thanks so much for liking the review.

I think you are mixing up 2 different purchases for cruises in the past.

1) (Before) this cruise on the Conquest, what I would do was go to the local grocery store (that offers fuel for points) and use my credit card (some credit cards offer 3 or 5% money back at certain months at grocery stores, when using their card. I would use the one with the most points back for grocery store use and buy all the cards I needed to pay for the cruise and all expenses on board. (Then pay for the cruise and take the rest with me to be applied for my on board account). Then the points I earned for grocery store purchase (from the grocery store), I would get free gas (for months).

2) Using our business cc accumulates points on our Southwest card. We use those points to purchase the gift cards for free (again, for both paying for the cruise and on board expenses) then we also fly free with SW, using points for me and Sakari and the hubby is a companion...so free.

Hopefully that clear it up. :D

I think what she is saying is that she uses her business CC, that the business purchases a huge amount of product accumulated a HUGE amount of points using those points to get the gift cards to pay for the cruise. Essentially because the company runs so much inventory she is able to get many, many 100$ Carnival gift cards to pay for her cruise as well as expenses on the cruise.

Honestly, this is pretty brilliant but would only work well fro someone who has a business where they use a business CC to pay for purchases and incur a decent amount of points.

Exactly. ;) :)

I don't want to sound like a snob but we've sailed on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival and i don't think theres any comparison as far as quality in every way Royal Caribbean had it all over Carnival

Everything can be compared...it just might not add up the same. :') Everyone has their preferences and likes/dislikes and that's great. (I don't think anyone is comparing RC to Carnival on here or saying that one is better than the other until I read this :confused:). I have not been on RC since the 90's (and loved them back then) but I do know you probably can't beat what RC has on their ship between the shows and innovation of different things. I would LOVE to sail with RC, but the price is just holding me down. Every time I have checked (really want to do Oasis class ships), I just can't justify the price and end up going on NCL or Carnival. I'd rather have 2 cruises having a blast and hitting the seas and beaches than 1 cruise be completely amazed...if that makes sense. Some day I'll make it back on RC. I'm not a picky person and I can have fun and completely enjoy myself on just about any ship.

Ok...time to start on our next port...Curacao. I've been a little torn about what (or how to do the review on this day) but I've come to the conclusion that just being honest has always worked for me and I guess that's what I'm going to do. There may be some "OMG", some backlash, some opinions thrown, some "wow's", yeas and nays. But, here goes...

I always love your reviews. I just want to say, I think it's so nice that you respond to each and every comment that fellow CC members write. :)

I can't imagine the time it takes to do these, so thank you, thank you!

THURSDAY, APRIL 20: CURACAO 8-4PM

P4240037%20copy-XL.jpg

P4240038%20copy-XL.jpg

Since we would be here at 8am, I set my alarm for 7am. If you noticed in this review, it's a little different than previous cruises, where I'm usually up 1 1/2 to 2 hours earlier than the posted time of getting off the ship. Well, I changed it up a little this cruise. I decided that 99.99% of the time, we are able to get up, get ready, get breakfast, and pick our things up in the room and be ready to go...well, a little earlier than needed and usually end up sitting around killing time waiting to get off. But, I've always been a planner and I've always been punctual. I like to plan for the unexpected and allow myself to compensate for things that "could" possibly go wrong. I don't like to divert too much from my plans or schedule (unless it's just super fabulous or my thoughts change in the moment). I'm the type of person that can be 20 minutes to my job and I'll always leave 1 hour ahead of time...just in case. Another factor is, with only the 3 of us cruising this time, it's a little more relaxing and laid back and I don't have to do any "compensation" for other families (ah hem...Kendra).

So 7am it was for us today and we were up to the buffet to get our normal breakfast...omelettes and a side of pig...only the bacon police was in full force today and stingy with the bacon. I just didn't have the patience to insist on more and I probably even did a quick eye roll as I walked away.

P4201039%20copy-L.jpg

This has been our daily routine just about all week after discovering real eggs can be had quicker than fake eggs.

Of course we can't forget these...another "tradition" this cruise for me.

P4201040%20copy-L.jpg

As we finished up breakfast, my son texted us with an update on the break-in at our shop. He had a lead...a pretty good lead. I'm not sure if I mentioned earlier in the review about a kid that stole from us back last summer, went down the street to the skate park and bragged about his new "purchase", only for the kids there to know that this wasn't true, brought the item back and he got banned from the store for life...IF he never returned we wouldn't press charges.

Well, the day before the break-in, the kid showed up with another kid, banned kid stayed outside, new kid came in, checked out one of the several bikes stolen, then walked out.

The new lead now pointed fingers to the banned kid and his "friend". (We would spend several hours after today's excursion researching this kid and "possible" known friend).

(Fast forward ahead, after we returned home...long story short, our camera's showed both of them, how they did it and we hunted him down. Let's just say most of the local kids scared him to death, dad found out, contacted the police and had the police escort the dad and the son back to our shop WITH the stolen bike to be returned. No questions were allowed to be asked by the hubby and he was told "We are dealing with it". Fast forward a few more days, and we are on the trail of the other kid with name, parents name, pretty much their life history of crime and drugs, where they have lived from house to house over the last 12 years, family members and addresses, evictions...and boom! Private Investigator must have been on the trail too and sat outside their house only to bust them getting out of the car....let's just say the police showed up with the other bikes...in parts. Taken apart to sell individually so as not to be "identified or noticed". Yea, obviously not this kids first time in this rodeo. Both are 14 years old. So...now we wait to see what is going to happen to these juveniles. Yes, we got the stolen bikes back, but they can no longer be sold as "new" and are used with scratches from riding...and we are out a few busted windows. Sigh.

Thought I would just catch up everyone that was interested in the ending of that. Sorry for the diversion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We pulled into port AT 8am. So guess what? That means Carnival is not on time. Is this some doing of Kendra since she didn't get to come?

We wouldn't be able to get off until 8:30am. Ugh.

P4240008%20copy-L.jpg

P4240007%20copy-L.jpg

14!!! Wow I was expecting a little older but when you said "kid" you meant KID. I hope he gets the intervention he needs. Otherwise he'll be in for a longggg history with the system. He only has one life to live, hopefully it will be positive. He is lucky you guys are good people. He obviously needs help and I am glad that your first thought isn't to throw the book at him. And now another little boy is involved! So sad!! Rehabilitation is best. It may save their lives. Wishing you all the best with this situation all the way from NJ. **hugs**

Hey Kim. I just want to tell you how much I am enjoying your review. Sakari is getting so big. I can't believe she's 9 already. My Melissa just turned 10 and it's blowing my mind.

Sakari's photos are fantastic! Does she have the same camera as you do? I may have missed that part of your post. I've been using my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 edge) as my camera and I got Melissa the S7 (not the edge). Since we are now addicted to snorkeling, I was seriously thinking of buying an underwater camera. And also our own snorkeling gear. Borrowing the snorkel is skeeving me out now. :eek:

Our first scuba experience, well for the hubby and I, was on our last cruise in November. We went to Coki Beach to do a "Discover Scuba" with the dive shop there and had a blast.

For those that don't know, Sakari is a "scuba diver". She took the classes and got certified as a PADI Seal diver and on the team. She has been snorkeling and swimming in the ocean since 3 years old and her love for the ocean is just amazing. The amount of animals and creatures names she knows just amaze me. Last August, when snorkeling, in St Lucia at the Pitons, she all of a sudden decided that "I want to scuba dive!". I had no clue a child could do this. So, when we returned home, we called the local dive shop and found out that, if you are 8 years old, you can take dive lessons....and so she did. She dives monthly now with a different experience/lesson and loves it. However, her dive instructor quit this year (got an upgraded job and we are happy for him) and they were left without an instructor. She was having withdrawal. She could not wait to dive in the ocean....and dive she would! Here in Curacao!

I immediately started researching dive places. I found that most people here on the boards can only suggest dive places for those certified for open water. Then those that could suggest dive shops that did Discover Scuba were suggested...BUT, it was really hard to find that shop that did DSD AND a PADI class or bubblemaker for Sakari. That is where the problem lies. I contacted several.

I'm listing all the info I have on these places, just in case anyone ever needs it and is in my situation.

1) Atlantis Diving: I wasn't getting a response and had to email several times. They would do a DSD and bubblemaker class. Cost was $83 per adult and $114 for child. They would dive the Tugboat. Sakari could go down 6' and stay with her instructor, but would still be able to see the tugboat from above. The dive was for 45 minutes or shorter with the total session lasting 2.5 hours total.

2) Dive Bus: Super quick reply to let me know they rec'd my email and would be responding. Nice explanation and good communication. Cost is $110 per adult. They did NOT offer a bubblemaker for Sakari or anything for a child under 10 years old. They dive a Pierbaai Reef across the street from their place and is 3 hours long.

3) Ocean Encounters: This happens to be a place her dive instructor suggested and said they use when in Curacao. I told them about her being a PADI Seal and us completing 1 DSD in November. They did NOT offer a bubblemaker class and you needed to be 10 years old for that, BUT did tell me that since she has already had quite some diving AND we would be with her, they would allow her to do the dive. Wait what??? Then they also tried to offer us to do an Animal Encounter dive, which included diving and seeing turtles, nurse and lemon sharks...all behind a window that you could feed them. The cost would be $99/pp. That just didn't really seem like a "dive" experience to me if we are just diving down and viewing them behind a glass wall and I still couldn't get over the "she can dive with you" part.

4) Scuba Lodge: Price $95, dive at Marie Pampoen, Boca Simon or House Reef. Plus $10 pp fee for transportation and 3.5 hours total. When explaining what I was looking for, our experience, her age and so on...I guess I shouldn't have mentioned the word "Aquamission". I only explained that she is already certified and does a different aquamission, here at home, each month. They ran with it...and ran hard...to the point it got very frustrating. They started asking questions about which aquamissions she had done and which she hadn't. At first I thought they were going to put together an aquamission for her to do as her bubblemaker. At this point, if she's going to be scuba diving in Curacao, then the perfect aquamission there would be "creature identification" or the photography mission. After a lot of back and forth...I'm told "we can only do an aquamission in the pool". Um what? I don't want her in a pool. She can do that here. We are coming to the Caribbean for the ocean! Ok, so nix that idea. Forget about the aquamission. I'm sorry I ever mentioned it or wasted so much time on it. Then all of a sudden when I said we are only interested in the ocean, they could ONLY do the pool and an aquamission and was then informed there was not enough time to do DSD AND the aquamission. Um...what do you expect me to do with my kid? We are only doing it because of her. It's her passion! Ugh It was very frustrating and I gave up.

5) Bas Harts: Came highly recommended and they offered 2 dives, which included transportation, diving at Shon-Mosa and No-Name. Both calm sites, $139/pp for DSD or bubblemaker. Confirmation no deeper than 6' for Sakari. So...after getting all my answers from this place and all of the others, the last email from them stated "If you like to book please send....Height, weight, shoe size, name of ship, docking times/date". Ok, so...I decided to go with another due to time in port and cost and our first time there (as much as I wanted to try out 2 different dive sites). TWO MONTHS LATER...I get somewhat of a rude email (in my eyes) that was just totally weird to me and I've never had someone do this..."I guess your booked with Hans and are no longer interested in diving with us. Thanks for letting us know" Wow...that was a little shocker. I'm not a confrontational type of person...unless you really strike a nerve and this did with me. I decided to email back, in short, letting them know I contacted a lot of companies asking questions and gathering information based on our needs to determine the best fit for our family. I also reminded him that his last email said "if you'd like to book"...along with I didn't expect a company to assume I would tell them either way...booking or not. I mean after all, none of the other companies requested that. Obviously he must know who I am or something...how else would he have known I booked with someone else, and who it was, other than to read the boards here. I would have definitely used him on our return...but I also found this whole email rude...and I decided to tell him that as well. His reply was that they fill up quickly...I mean come on, it's been 2 months. I know you are not holding a spot for someone that didn't actually book right? Just know if you ask a question with him, and decide to book with someone else...ya just better give him a "no" as an answer...unless I was just lucky and got picked on for some reason. I'm just not sure.

If anyone has any thoughts on this...please feel free to let me know. I really would like to use this guy in the future. I know he comes highly suggested and many have done dives with him. Maybe we got off on the wrong foot. Maybe I took it the wrong way. Maybe he just struck a bad nerve. I don't know. I just found it rude, but I don't know him as others around here might.

6) There were actually 2 other companies I contacted. One with no response and another that...well, after looking at their website, it just didn't seem very professional to me...and I have no idea what their names were because I decided immediately not to use them.

7) Hans Pleij with Curious 2 Dive. Instant communication and all questions answered quickly and professionally by Hans. Bubblemakers was not a problem. Price was $88pp and a total of 4 hours. This includes transportation. Diving will be at the Tugboat, a drop off wall and a pier. Bubblemaker could be combined with our class and the introduction dive in the shallow water. We could stay with Sakari during the shallow dive at 6' or we could continue deeper with the divemaster to 40'. A little over a month later, I decided to book with them. I had also heard excellent things about Hans. I also was told that "if anyone could find a seahorse, it's Hans" and that is on my bucket list and I'm told this place is THE place for seahorses.

P4240012%20copy-L.jpg

So, we booked and were super excited about this dive. I was glad it was saved for the last port. Let's go out with a BANG!

Sorry for the long drawn out explanation on this. I just felt it needed to be told for future use and hopefully it might help someone else looking for information.

.....on with our day...

After getting off the ship 1/2 hour late, it put a little stress in my step and I had really hoped that they were still waiting on us.

Our instructions said to exit the terminal and look for someone wearing a yellow tee shirt saying Curious2Dive on it. That should be easy enough.

Off we went.

P4201041%20copy-L.jpg

P4201042%20copy-L.jpg

P4201043%20copy-L.jpg

P4201044%20copy-L.jpg

Looks like there's plenty of shopping to be had when we return. I just hope there's enough time now that we are already running late.

P4201045%20copy-L.jpg

P4201046%20copy-L.jpg