Sell me on Carnival...or not!

On NCL, you book reservations with the restaurant you want for the time you want, just like on land.

Carnival ATD you stand for 45 minutes waiting for a table at the one dining room.

Carnival's way is dumb and you would see that if you went on NCL. Sorry I didn't explain it better.

Carnival ATD is just like NCL Freestyle but only in the MDR where you cannot make a reservation.

Food venues on Carnival are open lunch from 11:30-ish to 4pm-ish. It all depends on what you are looking for, not just the buffet. Carnival has Guy's Burgers (free), Deli (free), Blue Iguana Burritos (free), on some ships Tandoor Indian (free), some shops have Guy's Pig n Anchor (free). Pizza is 24/7. Some ships have Sushi (cheap) and other pay restaurants. There is zero reason anyone should be hungry on the ship.....plus there is always room service.

Regardless, you seem to have already made up your mind. And some of us who like Carnival must be 12 yr olds at heart.

The OP is considering sailing on the Miracle though. From a quick google search, it does not appear that the Miracle even has a Guys Burgers or Blue Iguana, let alone Tandoor or Pig n Anchor. OP, nobody can make the decision for you but from what you have posted it seems that a newer, bigger ship is more what you are looking for. That could still be Carnival on something like the Breeze or Vista though. I don't know what your 12 year old's interests are but my 11 year old preferred the NCL megaships with all the bells and whistles and loved the kids club there vs Carnival. My 4 year old preferred the smaller Carnival Conquest and preferred Carnival's kids club. Everyone is different and will enjoy different things. I suggest doing some research, reading some reviews and then determine what you think may best suit you.

Good to know! So is the buffet open for breakfast all morning and what are the food options for later in the evening/night? I haven't made up my mind, just trying to look at all aspects,because Carnival is cheaper all around, and the itineraries fit our schedule better for when we have our vacation. I think Carnival also offers much more in the way of entertainment for the entire family, which is a very important factor. One thing I'm worried about is motion sickness. We had no trouble on the larger ship, will it make a difference a smaller one?

Buffet is open for breakfast lunch and dinner. I've never eaten there for dinner preferring the MDR but there were always plenty of options for breakfast and lunch (especially the yummy made to order omelet stations for breakfast). The smaller ship might move more in rough seas but I've found cruise ships to be relatively stable (compared to my Navy ships). As mentioned you'll have to go and judge for yourself, just be prepared for the differences in the ships.

Carnival is really not a dressy cruise line. You will see it all in the Main Dining Room. Some are elaborately dressed and others looked like they just rolled out of bed.

=quote]

Definitely, its not a dressy cruise line. But I am guessing that some ships enforce the dress code more than others. Last week on Conquest I heard from several different people that they were turned away from the MDR for wearing tank tops or shorts on cruise casual nights. I wore nice shorts all the time to the MDR on NCL as it wasn't against their policy. And then there were the 2 elegant nights where you couldn't go to the MDR unless you were somewhat fancied up (not that you have to go all out or anything). I went into the cruise knowing this and it wasn't a big deal to me but it may be for some people who are used to being able to wear shorts to dinner on NCL even in most of the specialty restaurants.