Sell me on Carnival...or not!

I am new to the cruising world, with my first having been on Norwegian Breakaway in February of this year. We had a balcony stateroom with beverage package and gratuities included. Absolutely loved the freestyle aspect and the laid back atmosphere, we are not fancy people by any stretch. We enjoyed the ability to eat when and where we wanted, no set times or sitting with strangers. Through the years I have heard and read much negative about Carnival, and after researching a lot, am still very uncertain. We are planning to take a family vacation in December and cost is a factor, especially with six of us. It would be my husband and I, our three daughters 22, 20 and 12, and daughters 22 year old boyfriend. Since we are on the west coast, it is obviously much cheaper to fly into LA than to the east coast. Because of this, we are considering a specific sailing from there on Carnival(Miracle). Tell me the good and the bad, would especially love to hear from those that have cruised Norwegian as well.

There are a couple of factors in play here, the first being the differences between the cruise lines and the second is the difference between the ships. We found the lines to be more a like than different and NCL has an edge because of their entertainment, but for us it is a slight edge so the prices would need to be very close for us to pick NCL. CCL does have Your Time Dining and assigned seating. The biggest difference is going to be going from the larger, newer Breakaway to the older and smaller Miracle. I would personally prefer the smaller ship (around 2100 pax) over the larger, but that's me (we chose the antique Fascination;) over the Gem because of an $800 price difference). I think if you go in with your mind open and focus on what's important, having a good time with your family, you will have a good cruise with CCL.

I just got back from my first Carnival cruise (Conquest) and I definitely noticed the difference in Your Time Dining between this Carnival ship and NCL ships that I have been on (Epic and Getaway). We tried going for dinner several times around 6:30 and there was always a 30 min-1 hour wait. That would have made us miss shows/activities that we wanted to attend so we usually wound up not staying and then coming back between 9-9:30 for dinner (there was never a wait at that time but my 11 yo was starving by that point). On NCL we would have some short waits for dinner sometimes but never that long. But if you don't mind waiting, then Your Time Dining is an option on Carnival. And maybe the Miracle will be different than what I experienced. There were also very few other options for food later in the evening if you don't go to the MDR. Nothing like O'Sheehans, the buffet isn't available late like on NCL. But you won't starve, especially if you like pizza or sandwiches (deli, room service). I will say, that I really did miss the more casual dress code of NCL. I am not one for wearing dresses or dress pants on a cruise.

Edited by Thrilled2012

I am new to the cruising world, with my first having been on Norwegian Breakaway in February of this year. We had a balcony stateroom with beverage package and gratuities included. Absolutely loved the freestyle aspect and the laid back atmosphere, we are not fancy people by any stretch. We enjoyed the ability to eat when and where we wanted, no set times or sitting with strangers. Through the years I have heard and read much negative about Carnival, and after researching a lot, am still very uncertain. We are planning to take a family vacation in December and cost is a factor, especially with six of us. It would be my husband and I, our three daughters 22, 20 and 12, and daughters 22 year old boyfriend. Since we are on the west coast, it is obviously much cheaper to fly into LA than to the east coast. Because of this, we are considering a specific sailing from there on Carnival(Miracle). Tell me the good and the bad, would especially love to hear from those that have cruised Norwegian as well.

WHY do you cruise?

Is it to sit on ship and relax, ports don't matter?

Or is it to see specific ports?

Is it to get free entertainment every night, choice of shows?

Do you like nightlife, looking for live music, or disco, or comedy club?

Or is it to see shows and have someone wait on you all week, no cooking or cleaning?

You need to think about those factors and it may help you decide.

There are a couple of factors in play here, the first being the differences between the cruise lines and the second is the difference between the ships. We found the lines to be more a like than different and NCL has an edge because of their entertainment, but for us it is a slight edge so the prices would need to be very close for us to pick NCL. CCL does have Your Time Dining and assigned seating. The biggest difference is going to be going from the larger, newer Breakaway to the older and smaller Miracle. I would personally prefer the smaller ship (around 2100 pax) over the larger, but that's me (we chose the antique Fascination;) over the Gem because of an $800 price difference). I think if you go in with your mind open and focus on what's important, having a good time with your family, you will have a good cruise with CCL.

I loved the larger ship, albeit that meant bigger crowds, which I didn't care much for, but there was also lots of room. I think that may be a determining factor for us.

I just got back from my first Carnival cruise (Conquest) and I definitely noticed the difference in Your Time Dining between this Carnival ship and NCL ships that I have been on (Epic and Getaway). We tried going for dinner several times around 6:30 and there was always a 30 min-1 hour wait. That would have made us miss shows/activities that we wanted to attend so we usually wound up not staying and then coming back between 9-9:30 for dinner (there was never a wait at that time but my 11 yo was starving by that point). On NCL we would have some short waits for dinner sometimes but never that long. But if you don't mind waiting, then Your Time Dining is an option on Carnival. And maybe the Miracle will be different than what I experienced. There were also very few other options for food later in the evening if you don't go to the MDR. Nothing like O'Sheehans, the buffet isn't available late like on NCL. But you won't starve, especially if you like pizza or sandwiches (deli, room service). I will say, that I really did miss the more casual dress code of NCL. I am not one for wearing dresses or dress pants on a cruise.

The dining is definitely a deal breaker for us, we loved O'sheehans and also never had any real sort of wait, even with six of us. We like to eat at random times of the day, and NCL had a lot of options and flexibility. Casual attire is a must as well, we did do one dress up meal, but my husband hated every second of having to wear a button down shirt, lol. Thanks for your input!

I've been cruising with NCL for many years. I've sailed on the Breakaway, Gem (pre-refurb), and Star (pre-refurb). Specifying a ship is as important as specifying the line since the experience on a newer ship can be dramatically different than an older one.

My only Carnival cruise was back in 2011 on the Glory, so I can't give you a good opinion about Carnival in 2017. However, let me at least tell you why I booked Carnival in 2018. (No cruises this year for me.)

I don't like the design of the newer NCL ships. The Gem (Jewel class ship) is what I'd call the "goldilocks" of the NCL fleet. The Star was too small and the Breakaway is bigger, but poorly designed. NCL's strategy over the last five years is to chop up their ship and clientèle into different areas. Rather than build a big ship with large facilities, the Breakaway has lots of small venues, many of which require additional fees to enjoy. For example, if you want adult-only cabanas, you have to pay for a Vibe pass. If you want an exclusive pool area, you have to upgrade your suite to the Haven. There are many more specialty restaurants on a NCL ship and all of them incur fees and now a couple of them are a la carte. There are two theaters, one complementary and the other you have to pay. Both are smaller than the theater on the Star! The problem is whenever a large number of people want to do the SAME thing at the SAME time (like see Rock of Ages), there's overcrowding. Reservations for dining and entertainment are a must, which goes against the idea of "freestyle." NCL keeps taking benefits away and never giving back anything. Fireworks are gone. Nickelodeon is gone. Lobster in the MDR is gone. Bringing soda cans on board is prohibited. I could go on...

If you want to compare the Breakaway, I'd suggest comparing it to Carnival's newer ship, the Vista (and the Horizon which will be available next year.) If you book a Havana Cabanna room, you get a cabana area and an adults-only exclusive pool area at the rear of the ship. There are fewer specialty dining options, but many of the ones on Carnival are free. Guy's burgers and the salad spot are free. Uptown Grill on the Breakaway was changed to a Margaritiaville that you have to pay for a la carte. The Asian specialty restaurant if free at lunch (with a different menu). The noodle bar on the Breakaway is only open for dinner. The steakhouse on Carnival is a flat fee. Also, you are allowed as many main entree's as you like on Carnival. On NCL, you have to pay extra for multiple entrees.

My expectations are that the food and entertainment will be slightly better on NCL, but the overall ship activities and bang for my buck will be better on Carnival, but that remains to be seen.

WHY do you cruise? For fun, relaxation, ability to visit and explore multiple destinations.

Is it to sit on ship and relax, ports don't matter? To sit and relax but also see new sights.

Or is it to see specific ports? Because we are new, specific ports are of interest to us, once we've seen them, that may change.

Is it to get free entertainment every night, choice of shows? Entertainment is not of high importance, but like to see a show or two.

Do you like nightlife, looking for live music, or disco, or comedy club? Not big on night life, but love a good comedy show

Or is it to see shows and have someone wait on you all week, no cooking or cleaning? Absolutely love this, my husband even talked about how much he missed this.

You need to think about those factors and it may help you decide.

Answering these questions does help in making a decision, but we are so new to this, that I also want to venture out a bit and experience different cruises in order to learn what we like and want most.

YOU should definitely check out the Carnival larger ships....Breeze (out of Galveston), or Vista (out of Miami). These two ships swap ports in 2018 though.

They both have multiple dining venues, both pay and free, as well as lots of activities, plus they are new and shiny.

Don't plan to do any Carnival ships out of LA, they are not what you are looking for in that regard.

Do you mean strictly eat buffet? I am truly confused on how their dining works.

Choose either early or late dining in the dining room. You don't have to sit with strangers.

YTD doesnt work like on ncl. NCL is great. Carnival YTD is dumb.

I'm working on my dream review. After Roatan, I am discussing the ship and dining, so maybe read along and you can get a good idea....

Our ship had a steak house, sushi restaurant, etc. So some days we ate in our dining room (late seating, 8:15) and some days we ate elsewhere.

We started cruising several years ago on NCL and had wonderful cruises. We took a chance and tried Carnival and haven't taken a NCL cruise since. We would if the price and itinerary suited us. I really think you are comparing an older ship with a newer ship and that can make a big difference. As for "Any Time Dining" on Carnival, we have never had more than a 10-15 minute wait. On a few cruises we were not able to get the ATD and had a late dining time. It was fine, but I do prefer not to have a set time. Carnival is really not a dressy cruise line. You will see it all in the Main Dining Room. Some are elaborately dressed and others looked like they just rolled out of bed.

The one thing that I do like about NCL is the availability of different places to get something to eat, later in the evening. Carnival does have a pizza place, which is actually pretty good and a deli for sandwiches and there's always room service. I just wish they had a couple of more options. The coffee on Carnival is superior to NCL. I thought their coffee was terrible and their desserts were really bland.

I like both cruise lines. What I really don't like about NCL are the "free" extras, as we know they are not really free. I prefer to pay for my cruise and upgrade for things like dining and adult beverages or paying as I go. That way I don't have to read the fine print or try to get my money's worth. I do think NCL has more choice in cruises that are 7+ days. I really like a cruise that is 10+ days since I have to pay for airfare unless I'm going out of New Orleans, which is a long drive, but not as much as other ports.

I would say give Carnival a try, but understand it will be a smaller ship.

Do you mean strictly eat buffet? I am truly confused on how their dining works.

I am only guessing but I think they mean choose either Early or Late Dining, which is assigned dining. We always choose Early Dining. We have never had trouble getting back on the ship in time for Early Dining. It is nice to know that you go to the dining room at 6 and you will be seated and be out in time for the shows.

I've been cruising with NCL for many years. I've sailed on the Breakaway, Gem (pre-refurb), and Star (pre-refurb). Specifying a ship is as important as specifying the line since the experience on a newer ship can be dramatically different than an older one.

My only Carnival cruise was back in 2011 on the Glory, so I can't give you a good opinion about Carnival in 2017. However, let me at least tell you why I booked Carnival in 2018. (No cruises this year for me.)

I don't like the design of the newer NCL ships. The Gem (Jewel class ship) is what I'd call the "goldilocks" of the NCL fleet. The Star was too small and the Breakaway is bigger, but poorly designed. NCL's strategy over the last five years is to chop up their ship and clientèle into different areas. Rather than build a big ship with large facilities, the Breakaway has lots of small venues, many of which require additional fees to enjoy. For example, if you want adult-only cabanas, you have to pay for a Vibe pass. If you want an exclusive pool area, you have to upgrade your suite to the Haven. There are many more specialty restaurants on a NCL ship and all of them incur fees and now a couple of them are a la carte. There are two theaters, one complementary and the other you have to pay. Both are smaller than the theater on the Star! The problem is whenever a large number of people want to do the SAME thing at the SAME time (like see Rock of Ages), there's overcrowding. Reservations for dining and entertainment are a must, which goes against the idea of "freestyle." NCL keeps taking benefits away and never giving back anything. Fireworks are gone. Nickelodeon is gone. Lobster in the MDR is gone. Bringing soda cans on board is prohibited. I could go on...

If you want to compare the Breakaway, I'd suggest comparing it to Carnival's newer ship, the Vista (and the Horizon which will be available next year.) If you book a Havana Cabanna room, you get a cabana area and an adults-only exclusive pool area at the rear of the ship. There are fewer specialty dining options, but many of the ones on Carnival are free. Guy's burgers and the salad spot are free. Uptown Grill on the Breakaway was changed to a Margaritiaville that you have to pay for a la carte. The Asian specialty restaurant if free at lunch (with a different menu). The noodle bar on the Breakaway is only open for dinner. The steakhouse on Carnival is a flat fee. Also, you are allowed as many main entree's as you like on Carnival. On NCL, you have to pay extra for multiple entrees.

My expectations are that the food and entertainment will be slightly better on NCL, but the overall ship activities and bang for my buck will be better on Carnival, but that remains to be seen.

I had no problem with the Breakaway design, but again, it was my first cruise. I was disappointed with the one small adult pool, and the fact that all of the hot tubs were full of kids at all hours of the day and night. We at at O'sheehans and the buffet almost exclusively, with only two sit down formal meals that were not extra $$. Was very happy with the food offerings for the most part, although not a ton of variety. I felt the entertainment on the Breakaway was okay, having to make reservations wasn't a huge deal for us. I didn't care for the comedy shows, Rock of Ages was fun, and the Burn the floor had some amazing dancing, but overall, wasn't for me. We didn't spend much time listening to the live music in the Atrium, and were quite annoyed trying to hear and be heard when having to speak with Customer Service. I want to explore other cruise lines and ships for sure, but being able to eat when and where we want is of huge importance, along with space and activities offered for a family of varying ages. Thanks for your helpful comparisons!

Unless I am getting a commission or some sort of pay I will not be selling you anything. No matter what the consensus is as you read through these threads they are only opinions and only you can make the ultimate decision about Carnival.

If you are that curious then research and book a cruise. You will either like it enough to do it again or decide it is not for you. The bottom line is you will need to try it before you can make a true opinion to use as a benchmark for your situation. Good luck!

Choose either early or late dining in the dining room. You don't have to sit with strangers.

YTD doesnt work like on ncl. NCL is great. Carnival YTD is dumb.

I'm working on my dream review. After Roatan, I am discussing the ship and dining, so maybe read along and you can get a good idea....

Our ship had a steak house, sushi restaurant, etc. So some days we ate in our dining room (late seating, 8:15) and some days we ate elsewhere.

There are 3 choices to eating in the Main Dining Room (MDR). You can choose early or late dining (specific time) or if available you can choose Any Time Dining (ATD). If you are able to get ATD, then you have a range of time to just walk up and be seated. The first and last night and Elegant night are usually the busiest and you many encounter a wait at prime time. We usually book the Steak house on the first night (free bottle of wine or upgrade to another choice of wine) and avoid the crowds and sometimes the inconsistencies that occur on the first night in the Main Dining Room.

Any Time Dining is getting harder to get as the popularity increases. But you can be put on a wait list if it's not available when you book your cruise. There's really nothing "dumb" about it....you either like or you don't. We really like it....a lot.:D

Now that I think about it....Carnival has more free eating venues than NCL. However, if you can snag a reservation to the Chef's Table on Carnival, it is absolutely amazing!

I had no problem with the Breakaway design, but again, it was my first cruise. I was disappointed with the one small adult pool, and the fact that all of the hot tubs were full of kids at all hours of the day and night. We at at O'sheehans and the buffet almost exclusively, with only two sit down formal meals that were not extra $$. Was very happy with the food offerings for the most part, although not a ton of variety. I felt the entertainment on the Breakaway was okay, having to make reservations wasn't a huge deal for us. I didn't care for the comedy shows, Rock of Ages was fun, and the Burn the floor had some amazing dancing, but overall, wasn't for me. We didn't spend much time listening to the live music in the Atrium, and were quite annoyed trying to hear and be heard when having to speak with Customer Service. I want to explore other cruise lines and ships for sure, but being able to eat when and where we want is of huge importance, along with space and activities offered for a family of varying ages. Thanks for your helpful comparisons!

Eating where and when you want is going to vary by line and NCL leads the pack in Freestyle dining. We were nervous the first time we did assigned dining but it really isn't that big of a deal. It's a great way to meet people but with so many in your party I'm sure there would be no trouble getting a table for just you. We eat around the same time every night at home so assigned dining is really no different from that.

Everyone has been so helpful! There are definitely pros and cons to each line/ship, and I suppose it is all subjective. I think having gone on such a new, larger ship for our first will make it difficult to choose something smaller and older. When it comes to entertaining a 12 y/o, I think Carnival is the better choice, but as for dining flexibility, NCL has more of that. I think my biggest concern for dining was that if we are hungry mid afternoon. I wasn't sure if buffet on Carnival is the same as NCL, where you can just walk in and eat anytime of the day, or if there were other options. We want to eat when we're hungry, which will vary day to day, so set dining times are not really an option for my family. I make it sound like we are big eaters(we're not), but really it's just about freedom of choice.

Everyone has been so helpful! There are definitely pros and cons to each line/ship, and I suppose it is all subjective. I think having gone on such a new, larger ship for our first will make it difficult to choose something smaller and older. When it comes to entertaining a 12 y/o, I think Carnival is the better choice, but as for dining flexibility, NCL has more of that. I think my biggest concern for dining was that if we are hungry mid afternoon. I wasn't sure if buffet on Carnival is the same as NCL, where you can just walk in and eat anytime of the day, or if there were other options. We want to eat when we're hungry, which will vary day to day, so set dining times are not really an option for my family. I make it sound like we are big eaters(we're not), but really it's just about freedom of choice.

Food venues on Carnival are open lunch from 11:30-ish to 4pm-ish. It all depends on what you are looking for, not just the buffet. Carnival has Guy's Burgers (free), Deli (free), Blue Iguana Burritos (free), on some ships Tandoor Indian (free), some shops have Guy's Pig n Anchor (free). Pizza is 24/7. Some ships have Sushi (cheap) and other pay restaurants. There is zero reason anyone should be hungry on the ship.....plus there is always room service.

Regardless, you seem to have already made up your mind. And some of us who like Carnival must be 12 yr olds at heart.

Food venues on Carnival are open lunch from 11:30-ish to 4pm-ish. It all depends on what you are looking for, not just the buffet. Carnival has Guy's Burgers (free), Deli (free), Blue Iguana Burritos (free), on some ships Tandoor Indian (free), some shops have Guy's Pig n Anchor (free). Pizza is 24/7. Some ships have Sushi (cheap) and other pay restaurants. There is zero reason anyone should be hungry on the ship.....plus there is always room service.

Regardless, you seem to have already made up your mind. And some of us who like Carnival must be 12 yr olds at heart.

Good to know! So is the buffet open for breakfast all morning and what are the food options for later in the evening/night? I haven't made up my mind, just trying to look at all aspects,because Carnival is cheaper all around, and the itineraries fit our schedule better for when we have our vacation. I think Carnival also offers much more in the way of entertainment for the entire family, which is a very important factor. One thing I'm worried about is motion sickness. We had no trouble on the larger ship, will it make a difference a smaller one?

There are 3 choices to eating in the Main Dining Room (MDR). You can choose early or late dining (specific time) or if available you can choose Any Time Dining (ATD). If you are able to get ATD, then you have a range of time to just walk up and be seated. The first and last night and Elegant night are usually the busiest and you many encounter a wait at prime time. We usually book the Steak house on the first night (free bottle of wine or upgrade to another choice of wine) and avoid the crowds and sometimes the inconsistencies that occur on the first night in the Main Dining Room.

Any Time Dining is getting harder to get as the popularity increases. But you can be put on a wait list if it's not available when you book your cruise. There's really nothing "dumb" about it....you either like or you don't. We really like it....a lot.:D

Now that I think about it....Carnival has more free eating venues than NCL. However, if you can snag a reservation to the Chef's Table on Carnival, it is absolutely amazing!

On NCL, you book reservations with the restaurant you want for the time you want, just like on land.

Carnival ATD you stand for 45 minutes waiting for a table at the one dining room.

Carnival's way is dumb and you would see that if you went on NCL. Sorry I didn't explain it better.

On NCL, you book reservations with the restaurant you want for the time you want, just like on land.

Carnival ATD you stand for 45 minutes waiting for a table at the one dining room.

Carnival's way is dumb and you would see that if you went on NCL. Sorry I didn't explain it better.

WE do the YTD and never once had more than a 15 minute wait, and that was always on elegant nights.

WE do the YTD and never once had more than a 15 minute wait, and that was always on elegant nights.

We have waited at most like 20 minutes at the busiest time (like around 6:30) one time on my 6 cruises. Most of the time, I had no more than a 5 minute wait (if even that). The reason I stick with Carnival is because I cruise to be close to the ocean. These ships that have ice skating rinks and broadway style shows just do not interest me. I don't ice skate on land and I would much prefer to go see a show in the city so Carnival is the best option for me. I have price checked each cruise I have booked and the balcony on Carnival has always been much cheaper which is my favorite way to cruise.