Alla is no longer accepting payment in dollars

Ciref

There's not a cruiser on this board who paid in USD to be rude; until recently that was the way business was done. Visiting St. Petersburg, the "when in Rome" concept meant paying in USD and that even applied to visitors from places other than the US. (There's a post on this thread about a UK cruiser who pro-actively converted GBP to USD and is now dealing with a changed financial landscape!)

I apologise for not making myself clear in the second part of my post. I was commenting on two different subjects but did not separate them adequately.

First I was expressing my personal opinion that the latest move by the Russian authorities is understandable and only brings them into line with other countries. I had no intention of implying that people had been rude to pay for their Russian tours in USD. As stated, that was the way business was done and it was the way we paid when in SPB two years ago.

Secondly, I was stating my feelings about people wanting to use other than the local currency for shopping, a subject which crops up from time to time on this forum. I would not expect to be able to pay for a hot dog in New York with AUD, an ice-cream in London with USD or a beer in Sydney with GBP so why should a supermarket in Norway be expected to take anything other than NOK. To my mind this expectation is simply impolite.

Anni

May be there is a knock off Alla tour company. I booked with www.alla-tour.com for June. I don't believe the above info.

Have you paid for anything yet?

I paid for my husband's tours last week via phone call to Russia and Alla Tour charged in rubles, leading to a slight disconnect in the final amount.

I asked last week if they had PayPal and was told no, which led me to call their Russian office to give my credit card info over the phone (per request from DH). I am sure the Post-it was shredded after the charge, DH. :rolleyes: The things we do for love, I tell ya.

I apologise for not making myself clear in the second part of my post. I was commenting on two different subjects but did not separate them adequately.

First I was expressing my personal opinion that the latest move by the Russian authorities is understandable and only brings them into line with other countries. I had no intention of implying that people had been rude to pay for their Russian tours in USD. As stated, that was the way business was done and it was the way we paid when in SPB two years ago.

Secondly, I was stating my feelings about people wanting to use other than the local currency for shopping, a subject which crops up from time to time on this forum. I would not expect to be able to pay for a hot dog in New York with AUD, an ice-cream in London with USD or a beer in Sydney with GBP so why should a supermarket in Norway be expected to take anything other than NOK. To my mind this expectation is simply impolite.

Anni

It is also a political move, Anni. The ruble is seen as a weaker currency to the list of currencies accepted previously. The govt insistence to utilize rubles has repercussions with regards to corruption policing, ease of moving physically out of Russia, international financial transactions, etc.

My eyebrow is raised, but I am not cancelling my stop in Russia.

Well, not quite correct.

I cannot speak to your experience with the specific tour company with whom you toured but I know from my own personal experience that what you state does not hold true for Alla Tours. With Alla, you previously had the choice of payment via credit card or payment via cash (rubles, USD, Euros, GB Pounds). Alla has been accepting credit card payments since my first visit to St. Petersburg back in 2011.

When we first visited Russia -- a river cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg -- in 2000, we were told to pay in crisp, new dollar bills to our guides. When White Nights Travel gave us the same instructions in 2015, we never thought to ask about credit card alternatives.

If there's a third visit in our future, I'll handle payment via credit card.

Anni

Well said. We are guests when we visit other countries.

I thoroughly understand why we are asked to change our form of payment in Russia. It was always an option and in every communication was mentioned that we could use various forms. I don't question why people choose something over what I prefer to use. We all have varying opinions on the situation. I truly think we need to do what "we" feel is best at the moment for us. Personally, I do not want to use a debit card in Russia. I have already been compromised by them with a credit card here in the states. I do plan to use local currency in the countries I visit and would never expect them to take USD. I do plan to use a CC in the other countries. Russia for me is a whole different ballgame because of past experience.

sys007, we are booked with Alla for the middle of May. It is true. We received the message direct from them this past weekend.

Anni

I don't think it is impolite to think that you can pay with currencies that are not the official ones of the country the person is visiting. I think that people who ask those type of questions have never travelled further than their home town or are just too lazy to Google the currency of the country.

Although I never understand why somebody would think that you can buy a Metro ticket in Paris with USD when I can't buy a subway ticket in NYC with Euros.

Many years ago in the early 70s I visited the US and was amazed at how difficult it was to exchange money. In the 80s when my sister worked in Manhattan it was still difficult to find somewhere to exchange money. However, these days of credit cards and modern technology it's not necessary to do that, but at least know what currency you are paying in and what the exchange rate is. Oh, always pay in local currency on your CC as you will get the best rate of exchange.

Where are you people actually getting rubles? Most currency exchanges have stopped carrying them.

I know Wells Fargo Bank offers them. The bad side to that is they won't buy them back if you ordered too many. We had a very interesting conversation with a bank rep yesterday.

No way would I pay online. And I agree the Ruble price should be fixed and just the USD amount vary according to exchange rate. We are with SPB tours this July and have not been advised of this restriction.

In many countries the USD is desirable for currency exchange. But notes must be crisp and without damage. The exchange rate will never be good though. In countries like Australia and NZ USD are not accepted as we don't have the same currency need. Thanks to the OP for raising this as I was going to use USD as payment as when I booked with SPB that was an option. The tour is quoted in USD so think paying in USD is not rude at all. Just checked the website and it's changed although we haven't been notified by them. Saves me exchanging AUD for USD now. Now I will pay with Credit card on the day. Cancellation of refund is not available less than 72 hours out so I am not prepaying in case of port issues.

I know Wells Fargo Bank offers them. The bad side to that is they won't buy them back if you ordered too many. We had a very interesting conversation with a bank rep yesterday.

Looking at your location, did you try to buy them at the big downtown bank, order them online, or get them at your local Littleton location? WF has horrid exchange rates (1 RUBLE (RUB) = 0.01881 U.S. dollar (USD) + $15 fee for ordered currency) and the downtown location has more currency options. Thanks in advance!

Actually we went to one in Littleton. We ended up not getting any because they won't take them back if we don't use them. It was too much of a gamble for us.

Thank you for the information. :) I just want $20 worth of rubles, so I am coming up empty for options.

Thank you for the information. :) I just want $20 worth of rubles, so I am coming up empty for options.

There is an ATM in the cruise terminal at the Marine Facade in St. Petersburg - easy to get a few rubles using the ATM and, bonus, you will get the best exchange rate using your ATM card.

Also, you should be able to get some rubles on board your ship - not the best rate of exchange but since you don't need many, the exchange rate should be negligible.

Thanks, Dogs4fun.

I'm a little surprised that people are still looking for options of acquiring rubles in their home banks. There is absolutely, positively, no reason to do that.

One thing to do that is far more worthwhile is to take along several visa/MasterCard cards (choose the ones with no or low foreign transaction fees) and call the issuing banks to make sure they will not block foreign transactions on the dates you are in SPb.

I still don't understand and never will understand why people prefer to pay cash especially for larger amounts. Does anybody really feel it's safer to carry around a couple of hundred dollars or euro? Now I get it that some smaller type places in Europe may be cash only which indeed cuts down on the alternative. Even if one's credit is lousy, there are always visa or mastercard debit cards which at least for these purposes operate the same way.

I guess everyone is different. We all do what we feel is the right way to do it for us. I find it odd that people see their way as the only way or the right way. We are taking a small amount of foreign currency for each port. Some street vendors do not take CC's. You may need to use the restroom and Europe is well known to charge for them. We personally need to tip tour guides in all ports and can't use our CC for that. We plan to use our CC for most purchases.

As far as SP specific, I know of someone who did call their bank ahead of time and was told it would be fine. Once they were there the bank DECLINED the charge so stuff does happen. It isn't always cut and dry in Russia.

jiminy...this is not a philosophical argument whether to scury around looking for foreign currency befpre a trip. I think it's silly and unnecessary but really do understand there are 2 sides to every story. I completely understand when people say take a bit of local currency for incidentals. I disagree but would never disagree verbally or put somebody down for it. It's your business. However, simply from a pragmatic view, it makes no sense for things where hundreds, maybe a thousand dollars or euro may be involved (a 2 day tour for 4) to carry around that much cash when it's unnecessary and certainly not cheaper. If the tour companies only took cash, fine and understandable. If you were staying at a small bed and breakfast, fine and understandable. If you don't have a credit card with no ftf and wish to save 3% by purchasing cash or are willing to take a small lose for convenience. Fine and understandable.

But when dealing with things like this where the companies take credit cards at no additional cost, that to me while it may be your business is simply not understandable. I would never want to cart around that much cash unless absolutely necessary where here it isn't. It's much more than a matter of convenience. It's a matter of safety and security.

I always carry a few dollars equivalent of the local currency. Usually retrieved from the nearest ATM if I don't happen to have the cash left over from a previous trip. I'd use it to purchase drinks etc and any bathroom costs. Everything else is credit cards. I suspect a few local tourist shops might have a better price in the local currency. I know in Dubai recently we negotiated a far better price using dirhams in a gold Souk.

I really don't understand all the fuss, over the new policy. I never intended to bring a stack of new US bills to pay for my tour with Alla. When I booked with them, I read everything, including all the fine print. I swear I read that our CC would be charged in rubles. Yes, they advertised a USD amount but it always said, we would be charged in rubles. I have not heard of any CCs being compromised because I hope that their terminals are guarded & protected against hacking.

Just my humble opinion.

I really don't understand all the fuss, over the new policy. I never intended to bring a stack of new US bills to pay for my tour with Alla. When I booked with them, I read everything, including all the fine print. I swear I read that our CC would be charged in rubles. Yes, they advertised a USD amount but it always said, we would be charged in rubles. I have not heard of any CCs being compromised because I hope that their terminals are guarded & protected against hacking.

Just my humble opinion.

Hi. I don't know where you're from and how familiar you are with how cc's are handled say in European and Canadian restaurants. They use the portable on-line terminals which is in your sight the whole time. You never lose sight of your credit card the way you might do at an American restaurant where in most places above Denny's or a fast food restaurant take your credit card to a back room for processing or at some of our self service gas stations where scanners can easily be planted. You need not lose one moment's sleep worrying if your card will be compromised by them or any of the other Russian tour companies which operate the same way. They use the rate that day of the Russian National Bank so there shouldn't be a problem.