Amsterdam

mra9955

Yes, watch out for the bikes because they do not watch out for you. They have their own lanes in may places and I have seen cyclists riding, texting or reading a book as the go....

They have their own traffic signals too. Pedestrians have to watch and not cross when the cyclists have the signal. Never saw anything like it anywhere else. Also never saw so many parked bicycles piled up. One could imagine that every resident owns 10 bicycles.

I would do a canal cruise. I struggle with the bikes alone in Amsterdam when I have come off an hour flight from the UK, let alone a transatlantic flight with kids in tow :)

There used to be a hop/off canal bus (same company as the big red double decker hopper service) that is a good way of seeing the city and having the option of getting off if you see something you're interested in. But this would be dependent on being able to drop off luggage.

Well, there are more bicycles than residents in the Netherlands with the country being the most-bike friendly in Europe and Amsterdam may well be the most bike friendly Capital in the world see why in this BBC article Why,...?

I was in Amsterdam last week on business. The city is definitely bike friendly, but if you're from pretty much anywhere else in the world, you have to adjust (quickly) to right of way priorities (do the bikes have right of way, or do they just take it??)! Fun city even though I didn't get to see enough of it.

Anne Frank House: You MUST book your online tickets as soon as they come out! Remember the space is tiny! It was their hiding place. So not very many people can go in at a time. The line outside to get in is usually several hours.

But...with the tickets you arrive at your appointed time and go to a separate door. Ring the bell at the door and you go right in. It's so important to get the tickets on line. Otherwise plan on several hours waiting outside in a long line!

Check the Anne Frank House website every day for when the tickets are released for the day you want. If you hesitate you will not get them!

Another reason to book the Anne Frank House for day 2, flight delays....They happen, sometimes it is weather, sometimes it is mechanical, sometimes it is crew. Nothing worse than having tickets for an event and missing the event because of an airline delay.

I was in Amsterdam last week on business. The city is definitely bike friendly, but if you're from pretty much anywhere else in the world, you have to adjust (quickly) to right of way priorities (do the bikes have right of way, or do they just take it??)! Fun city even though I didn't get to see enough of it.

They take it most of the time. ;)