Dinner Packages - How do they work?

LMHSRN

Can someone explain how the dinner packages work. You pay one amount for 3 or 4, etc. dinners but how do you choose where and when ti dine?

Is there an advantage to booking these in advance?

We just did this in February. We booked a 4 night package about a month prior to the cruise. Were told to choose our first specialty dining for either the first or second night and a time. We chose the 2nd but when we got on the ship were given the first. We simply told them we wanted it changed and they gave us what we requested. Once on the ship you book all the remaining nights. I was concerned about availability but it was not an issue. They had plenty of reservations available. We actually decided after dining in Tuscan night 2 we wanted to go again the last night and they added a day and prorated our meal price as if we bought the 5 night package. We changed times of meals a couple times as well and it was quick and easy. Reservations can be made at a table as soon as you get on the ship, or they have a desk outside the buffet or at the restaurants themselves.

The benefit is the price per meal is discounted more with each night you buy. We were buying for 3 of us so it offered us pretty significant savings.. As far as booking before you get on the ship, I did it because I heard that they limit the amount of packages they sell. Not sure if its totally true but we don't mind paying before and we knew we could cancel before if needed.

Should also mention that if you book before the cruise you do not get to choose the first restaurant. However, once on board you can change whatever has been assigned. I will also add that on our cruise the specialty dining restaurants were pretty busy every night of the 5 we dined in them. It probably varies by cruise but I would definitely take care of reservations that first day on board to ensure you get what you want.

We sailed infinity this month, and the packages were on sale on the ship.

They also offered single purchase specialty at a discount.

We chose to purchase the single dinner and it was discounted by a third (Qsine for 30 rather than the list price of 45). We enjoyed the dinner, the waitstaff were incredible, and it was as unique as promised!

Keep in mind a few things also. First, you don't exactly get to choose your restaurants in some cases - meaning, depending on which restaurants are onboard you get a certain amount of dinners at each per cruise. For example, if there is a Sushi on Five, a Tuscan Grille, and a Qsine and you have a three package you get to eat at each one once. And second, note - I included Sushi on Five. To me that is not exactly a specialty restaurant per se (some may disagree) but if your ship only has those three then you need to include that restaurant in your bundle. You also may not be as lucky with availability as others. When we booked a 5 dinner package on a 10 night cruise, we had a lot of difficulty finding times in the 'sweet spot' of 7:30-8:30. It will vary by cruise. I also suspect if you are in a suite (we were not) that you will likely get priority on booking times. Don't count on Elite Plus to give you that - it didn't help us a bit.

If you don't choose to do an entire package, you can often negotiate with the maître d's for discounts, including discounts on multiple bookings (not officially a package per se). It all depends on how the restaurants are booking up. We have rarely had an issue finding discounts of at least 20-30% for Qsine, 20% for Tuscan, and on rare occasion have even been able to find a 50% or 2/1 deal (at Qsine).

Keep in mind a few things also. First, you don't exactly get to choose your restaurants in some cases - meaning, depending on which restaurants are onboard you get a certain amount of dinners at each per cruise. For example, if there is a Sushi on Five, a Tuscan Grille, and a Qsine and you have a three package you get to eat at each one once. And second, note - I included Sushi on Five. To me that is not exactly a specialty restaurant per se (some may disagree) but if your ship only has those three then you need to include that restaurant in your bundle. You also may not be as lucky with availability as others. When we booked a 5 dinner package on a 10 night cruise, we had a lot of difficulty finding times in the 'sweet spot' of 7:30-8:30. It will vary by cruise. I also suspect if you are in a suite (we were not) that you will likely get priority on booking times. Don't count on Elite Plus to give you that - it didn't help us a bit.

If you don't choose to do an entire package, you can often negotiate with the maître d's for discounts, including discounts on multiple bookings (not officially a package per se). It all depends on how the restaurants are booking up. We have rarely had an issue finding discounts of at least 20-30% for Qsine, 20% for Tuscan, and on rare occasion have even been able to find a 50% or 2/1 deal (at Qsine).

We did a 4 dinner package, as well as a 3 dinner package on the Eclipse the past few years. We were totally able to choose what restaurants WE wanted dine. we don't bother with Sushi on 5. We like the "real" specialty rest.

We did a 4 dinner package, as well as a 3 dinner package on the Eclipse the past few years. We were totally able to choose what restaurants WE wanted dine. we don't bother with Sushi on 5. We like the "real" specialty rest.

Agreed. On Connie last year, I just told the chap on the desk where I wanted to eat on each of the five nights. Sushi is not a proper alternative restaurant for dinners.

Agreed. On Connie last year, I just told the chap on the desk where I wanted to eat on each of the five nights. Sushi is not a proper alternative restaurant for dinners.

This past Jan. trip we did Murano twice(our favorite)The Tuscan & finally Qsine. The Filet Mignon in Tuscan was to die for! Next trip we'll try the Chateau Briand in Murano.

This past Jan. trip we did Murano twice(our favorite) Next trip we'll try the Chateau Briand in Murano.

My DH and husband tried this last month in Murano ... they claimed it was the best meal they've eaten in a specialty restaurant.

Unless they've changed things back, the packages now include any restaurant you want to dine in for as many times as your package allows. So, if you purchase a 4 dinner specialty package, you can eat in Murano 4 times under that package now. This was available for us last month and a change in how they used to sell the packages.

Things have changed now. The old 3 and 5 night packages don't exist as such. You book for however many nights you want then choose which restaurants. We just did eight nights, with five in Murano and three in Tuscan.

• 3 weeks later...
The last few cruises we had no issues getting discounts for single bookings. It's been a couple years (azamara and rccl last year)-- is this still the case?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, we were on the Eclipse from Apr 16-May 7, 2017 on a B2B. They were selling specialty restaurants all over the ship and people who asked for discounts seemed to be getting them. We always ask the Blu Maitre D' or Blu hostess to make reservations on a day we can get a discount.

All of our reservations were in the 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm timeframe We got 1/2 off in QSine and 1/3 off in Murano and a 20 percent discount in Tuscan for lunch. We dined in Murano the first night on the second cruise with fifty percent off.

We also had lunch in Sushi on Five to change things up. We are NOT SUSHI people but it was amazing. They gave us 20 percent discount cards for the next time. Our friends went back for dinner and got 20 percent off plus another 20 percent and they let them keep the discount cards. We all went back for lunch on the second cruise to use up our nonrefundable OBC and used our 20 percent discount again.

The last few cruises we had no issues getting discounts for single bookings. It's been a couple years (azamara and rccl last year)-- is this still the case?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never been a problem for us and we've dined in =X= specialty restaurants dozens of times, including last month. The vast majority has been 2 for 1 (half off), never less than a 30% discount. Frankly don't see the quality, as good as it is, justifying the list prices when you factor in the fact that you are leaving what is generally an excellent meal in the MDR uneaten.