Civitavecchia hotel recommendations?

Alohaaloha

Can anyone recommend a hotel around Civitavecchia (Rome cruise port) rather than staying in Rome itself?

I'm guessing transfers from Rome airport, or Rome itself, to the cruise terminal would be expensive? But if anyone has any advice or tips on hotels or transfers they'd be much appreciated- TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A quick search finds several threads on Civi hotels.

There are many discussions on transport. A lot depends on your mobility and dragging bags- does that rule out train travel? Otherwise what you define as expensive is not known to us. It is a minimum hour drive, and Europe is not cheap.

Can anyone recommend a hotel around Civitavecchia (Rome cruise port) rather than staying in Rome itself?

I'm guessing transfers from Rome airport, or Rome itself, to the cruise terminal would be expensive? But if anyone has any advice or tips on hotels or transfers they'd be much appreciated- TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

I had the same questions few months ago. Our flight to Rome is late afternoon so not much time to do anything in Rome, so we booked a hotel in Civitavecchia for the pre-cruise night.

I looked at some of the hotels listed on this CC page;

http://www.cruisecritic.com/hotels/hotelResults.cfm?departurePort=192

We booked the San Giorgio hotel for the close location to the port and their price was discounted if one books long in advance.

They also included breakfast and the shuttle in the morning that will take us from the hotel to the ship..

There are 8 of us so we booked a private transfer from FCO to port and back to FCO after the cruise - the price was in the middle of the 'pack' of different companies but close to the lower end - 150 euros each way.

Look at the list of hotels in the link above - perhaps you will find what you need.

I can not recommend any thing because my trip did not happen yet. We will be on the Jewel in July 2017.

We stayed at hotel San Giorgio last fall. What a pretty hotel right across from the sea! I believe our transfer to the port was included in our room rate but can be added if not. I had several questions and they were always quick to send their responses. Our CC Group had a wine get together the night before sailing where the hotel let us use the American Bar and provided munchies while we were able to purchase bottles or glasses of wine at reduced prices.

The only thing that was disconcerting was the grand staircase up to the check in desk. What to do with dragging the luggage up? When they finally noticed the dilemma they told us not to worry and they sent a bellhop down to take them up in the small elevator.

Hi mom4mom,

I appreciate the positive comments about the hotel that we booked. It is too late to change or cancel our booking - it is paid for. .... but reading good comments makes me feel good.

I booked directly with the hotel after reading one of the posts that provided information that shuttle was not included if booking with a third party but was included if booked directly. The shuttle may/can be purchased ( 10 euro p/p) according to that post.

There are 8 of us and we needed 2 quads and that hotel had them.

Did you dine in that hotel or in some other restaurant ? How was it ?

We will have few hours after our arrival to wonder around. - do you have any pointers or recommendations for us ?

( I hope that the OP does not mind that I am trying to get some info here - perhaps the OP can use the info as well).

Hi mom4mom,

I appreciate the positive comments about the hotel that we booked. It is too late to change or cancel our booking - it is paid for. .... but reading good comments makes me feel good.

I booked directly with the hotel after reading one of the posts that provided information that shuttle was not included if booking with a third party but was included if booked directly. The shuttle may/can be purchased ( 10 euro p/p) according to that post.

There are 8 of us and we needed 2 quads and that hotel had them.

Did you dine in that hotel or in some other restaurant ? How was it ?

We will have few hours after our arrival to wonder around. - do you have any pointers or recommendations for us ?

( I hope that the OP does not mind that I am trying to get some info here - perhaps the OP can use the info as well).

I don't mind at all, in fact I'm appreciative of the helpful comments from mom4mom and wieslaw too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ok, we stayed at the San Giorgio last May for two nights. One was a Saturday night and there was a wedding directly above our room which kept us awake til all hours. I would ask when you check in if something like that is likely (if it is going to bother you)

The breakfasts were good but we also ate there on the Sunday night. My husband is Italian born but does not like his pasta cooked to the Italian level of al dente. He always asks it to be cooked more and will joke about it. Sometimes in Italy he has had the waiter saying that certainly, sir, some of the old people like it like that. But that night it was so al dente that he complained, the cook came marching out and told him that that is how we eat it in Italy (husband swore the cook was English from his accent!) and the rest of us nearly died of embarrassment.

We've stayed in 3 hotels in Civitavecchia:

Hotel Traiano: stayed there a few years ago, friendly hotel with nice free breakfast and a free shuttle to the port (which has to be booked). It's an uphill 20 minute walk from the train station so wouldn't be ideal for some but if you are getting a transfer straight to the hotel it would be fine. It's a little outside town but they recommended a very good local restaurant

Hotel Traghetto: This is literally just across the street from the port bus stop so couldn't be a better spot for embarkation day. It's a fairly basic hotel but with a free breakfast and very friendly staff. It's around 20 minutes level walk from the station but if you arrived during the day you could catch the bus which runs between the station and the port bus for just a couple of euros. It's just 10 minutes walk from the centre of town. We've stayed here twice before and have booked again for later this year

Hotel De La Ville: We booked this one last time we were in Civitavecchia as Traghetto was fully booked. It couldn't be in a better spot for the station, literally a few yards away, and consequently for the bus to the port bus stop. It has a 'faded glory' feel to it, it may have been OK in the past but lacks some very basic things now - including basic common courtesy from the staff. It costs more than the other 2 hotels and breakfast was not included. I wouldn't stay there again but for one night, and for the convenience it may be OK for some

As for transfers we have used romeshuttlelimousine.com several time and have booked them again for later in the year. Competitive pricing, English speaking drivers and nice cars

Check into B&Bs as well. We are booked into this one the night before we cruise out of Civi: http://www.lacasasulmare.net/. We should have a great view of the Reflection as she pulls into port!

Ok, we stayed at the San Giorgio last May for two nights. One was a Saturday night and there was a wedding directly above our room which kept us awake til all hours. I would ask when you check in if something like that is likely (if it is going to bother you)

The breakfasts were good but we also ate there on the Sunday night. My husband is Italian born but does not like his pasta cooked to the Italian level of al dente. He always asks it to be cooked more and will joke about it. Sometimes in Italy he has had the waiter saying that certainly, sir, some of the old people like it like that. But that night it was so al dente that he complained, the cook came marching out and told him that that is how we eat it in Italy (husband swore the cook was English from his accent!) and the rest of us nearly died of embarrassment.

We've stayed in 3 hotels in Civitavecchia:

Hotel Traiano: stayed there a few years ago, friendly hotel with nice free breakfast and a free shuttle to the port (which has to be booked). It's an uphill 20 minute walk from the train station so wouldn't be ideal for some but if you are getting a transfer straight to the hotel it would be fine. It's a little outside town but they recommended a very good local restaurant

Hotel Traghetto: This is literally just across the street from the port bus stop so couldn't be a better spot for embarkation day. It's a fairly basic hotel but with a free breakfast and very friendly staff. It's around 20 minutes level walk from the station but if you arrived during the day you could catch the bus which runs between the station and the port bus for just a couple of euros. It's just 10 minutes walk from the centre of town. We've stayed here twice before and have booked again for later this year

Hotel De La Ville: We booked this one last time we were in Civitavecchia as Traghetto was fully booked. It couldn't be in a better spot for the station, literally a few yards away, and consequently for the bus to the port bus stop. It has a 'faded glory' feel to it, it may have been OK in the past but lacks some very basic things now - including basic common courtesy from the staff. It costs more than the other 2 hotels and breakfast was not included. I wouldn't stay there again but for one night, and for the convenience it may be OK for some

As for transfers we have used romeshuttlelimousine.com several time and have booked them again for later in the year. Competitive pricing, English speaking drivers and nice cars

Thanks so much for all your help and advice. It really has been an enormous help.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Karennella,

Thank you for the comments, I will ask about the possible wedding - our stay is on Saturday night also ..... but it will be what it will be. It seems that you enjoyed your stay there.

I would have a lot of enjoyment watching the exchange of cooking skills of pasta between the cook and your husband. I think I am on your husband's side:..... wife asked me few days ago to cook some pasta ( I know very little about cooking) so I read the instructions on the package - it said to cook it for 10 to 12 minutes. I started tasting it after 10 minutes and continued doing the cooking and tasting for another 15 minutes, Finally I quit ( by that time my mouth was 'burned' and the pasta was still 'al dente' in my opinion)..

I guess I am not going to order any pasta there.

How was the breakfast there ?

• 11 months later...

I spent a lot of time looking at hotels in Civitavecchia pre cruise. After a long overnight flight I didn't think we'd have a lot of energy to explore Rome in an afternoon/evening and then get up and transfer to the ship the next day. I also considered the cost of a taxi to a hotel in Rome and the additional cost of the transfer to the ship. the transfer from FCO to Civitavecchia is 120 Euros- the hotels there are less expensive than Rome- some on the water, some out of town in the hills with great views. I finally decided on the Borgo Del Mare- a family owned small hotel. Great reviews- negatives are that the rooms are smallish (175 sq ft) with a double bed ( the lesser expensive rooms) Free wifi, offer airport pickup/dropoff and free wifi- restaurant on premises with free breakfast, free bicycles to use and free transfer to the ship ( not at the gate) I will report back after our stay

• 2 weeks later...
I spent a lot of time looking at hotels in Civitavecchia pre cruise. After a long overnight flight I didn't think we'd have a lot of energy to explore Rome in an afternoon/evening and then get up and transfer to the ship the next day. I also considered the cost of a taxi to a hotel in Rome and the additional cost of the transfer to the ship. the transfer from FCO to Civitavecchia is 120 Euros- the hotels there are less expensive than Rome- some on the water, some out of town in the hills with great views. I finally decided on the Borgo Del Mare- a family owned small hotel. Great reviews- negatives are that the rooms are smallish (175 sq ft) with a double bed ( the lesser expensive rooms) Free wifi, offer airport pickup/dropoff and free wifi- restaurant on premises with free breakfast, free bicycles to use and free transfer to the ship ( not at the gate) I will report back after our stay

I would also love to hear your comments after your stay at Borgo Del Mare. I'm just starting the process of looking into hotels and the debate of Rome/Civitavecchia. This is not our first time in Rome, however, we only spent a day touring with RIL and it was a lot in a day to take in. My thinking is that we would extend our stay after the cruise and go directly to the port area after our long overnight flight. Thanks for your review in advance~Hope you are enjoying your vacation!

• 3 weeks later...
I would also love to hear your comments after your stay at Borgo Del Mare. I'm just starting the process of looking into hotels and the debate of Rome/Civitavecchia. This is not our first time in Rome, however, we only spent a day touring with RIL and it was a lot in a day to take in. My thinking is that we would extend our stay after the cruise and go directly to the port area after our long overnight flight. Thanks for your review in advance~Hope you are enjoying your vacation!

We have stayed at the hotel borga la mare last fall. Highly recommend, nice friendly family hotel, right bythe sea, so lovely, quiet with great walking areas. Great restaurants within walking distance, and the restaurant in house is excellent. We have recommended to friends who are going this month, and we are returning to the hotel for precruise again in September. Clean, awesome breakfast, patio extends outside so lovely to sit out on the terrace! They offer a half board supper, very reasonable and comes highly recommended..they sent me the menu and if I could figure out how to attach I would post it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We stayed at the hotel Mediterraneo last October. It was near San Georgia but much less expensive. The room was small but more than adequate for one night. It is will located to restaurants and we walked there from the train station, about 2 blocks. There is an elevator and the breakfast was quite nice, typical for Italy. The only problem we had was the A/C was turned off in October (as it is in many places) and it was extremely hot that evening. If you are booking in October or later, then I would be sure to check that whatever hotel you choose still keeps their A/C on.

We stayed at the Hotel Borga del Mare for one day pre cruise late April. We took advantage of their Airport transfer ( 50 euro pp shared, or 120 total for private) We used the private- our driver met us inside after picking up our bags. As others have mentioned the hotel is family owned and run. rooms are smallish - about the size of a normal cruise ship cabin, but the bathroom is larger. The hotel offers a discounted 3 course dinner if you pre order- way too big of a meal for us- we shared a pizza ( 10 euro ) and a liter of house wine ( 9 euro ). The restaurant in the hotel is not open for lunch, but there is one a couple of blocks away on the water with views of the ships ( if you don't want bread- refuse it- a 1 euro charge pp ) Food is good, but the only menu in English is in the entrance on a video board. Checkout is 11 am and the transfer over to the ships isn't until 12:30 but there are seats outside ( also for dining but get there early if you want one ). Breakfast is the normal continental fare. In all a very pleasant stay at a great value