Kids programs on Grand?

grg

I am looking for any feedback on kids programs.

We've cruised with Princess many times but this is the first where our boys 7&9 will be old enough to participate in the kids programs.

We are sailing the Mexican Riviera on the Grand in January.

Did your kids enjoy themselves, were they entertained, and want to go back to them.? How often do they have programs? Did you encounter any problems or difficulties.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

My kids range from 42 - 32 so I have no experience with the kid's program. However, I have seen multitudinous posts here on CC where people say their children really enjoy the program a lot. I don't know if I have seen any where the poster said their kids didn't enjoy the program.

Grand Princess was the first ship to switch to the new "Camp Discovery" kids & teens programming:

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/kids-and-teens/

(scroll to bottom for future rollout schedule)

Any reviews of Grand Princess prior to December 2016 may have out of date info on their activities. You may want to watch for reviews from the other ships as Camp Discovery is added.

I am looking for any feedback on kids programs.

We've cruised with Princess many times but this is the first where our boys 7&9 will be old enough to participate in the kids programs.

We are sailing the Mexican Riviera on the Grand in January.

Did your kids enjoy themselves, were they entertained, and want to go back to them.? How often do they have programs? Did you encounter any problems or difficulties.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

The Tree House: This fun space is for ages 3 to 7. The focal points are a treehouse-type padded climbing structure, jukebox, giant TV screen and a table with a giant tree in the middle. There are lots of books and games, as well as plenty of seating and floor space for activities like story time and arts and crafts, and fun, educational facts are splashed across the walls. Only authorized parents or guardians can sign children into and out of The Tree House, and pagers are given to parents in case their little ones get restless.

The Lodge: Ages 8 to 12 can enjoy The Lodge, which has decor patterned after what you might expect to find in a log cabin, complete with wall murals of canoes, mounted animal heads and even a faux fireplace. This area also features two Skee-Ball stations, a foosball table and several computer/gaming stations. Seating alcoves provide places for tweens to socialize and do activities that might include hand puppet making, face painting and movie nights. Other fun items on the schedule -- like scavenger hunts and dodgeball competitions -- take kids out of the children's areas for some fresh air. Parents, note that this is the age at which children are permitted to sign themselves into and out of the club.

This was some of the information on the Grand.

Our son is now 16 but he has been attending the kids program on Princess since he was 7 we have sailed with other cruise lines but he has always loved Princess they are very organized and have always had stuff going on to entertain them and educate them.

My daughter was 5 on her first Princess cruise (after some Carnival cruises) and it was to the Mexican Riviera in February.

Since most kids are in school at that time, she was one of only three 5-year-olds (we got a family and friends discount and figured why not, got her homework packet from her kindergarten teacher). I can't remember how many kids altogether in the two youngest age groups (at that time, Pelicans and Pirateers). I think because there weren't a lot of kids, the age groupings were different than when there's many kids on board. But there was a program, even though they didn't do the science-oriented activities.

It was different on our Alaskan cruise as that was in August when plenty of kids were on board. She was 7 and in the middle group. They did plenty of activities, including the science program, so she was happy. And that's a port intensive cruise. A year later she was on the two-week Hawaiian cruise during the holidays, and again, plenty of kids, so a full-fledged program.

There will be a program and staff, but how big, would depend on the number of kids.

My daughter enjoyed herself, even though I think she preferred Carnival.

There's no special features like rock climbing walls, etc., but I think she would have spent maybe a few minutes trying it out and go back to the pool (the staff won't take the kids to the pool, so you have to supervise them if that's the plan -- plus be aware that it most likely not be warm enough to go swimming until you get south of Cabo, unless you're on one of the ships with a covered pool or there's a heat wave in Southern California).

We have a 7 year old and I'm hoping he enjoys the kids program. he will be in the 3-7 year old class I hope he doesn't get bored.. looking at the 3-7 class it looks really like it's gears towards the younger kids

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My kids (now 10 and 6) have been cruising since they were 6 months old, primarily on Princess. They both LOVE the kids programs and I literally have to drag them out or bribe them to spend time with me! As others have mentioned, the Grand now has the new kids club so I can't speak to that. I will say, out of the many cruises we have taken, when we did the Grand to Hawaii two years ago the kid program was the most lacking of all the cruises. They seemed short staffed (even though there weren't THAT many kids on there) and often turned us away as the club was "full". It also felt that the kid staff weren't very happy in their jobs and never seemed to be enthusiastic, smiling, or helpful! That was the ONLY time of all our cruises that the kid club disappointed but I really do think this was a one-off. I'm sure your children will love it!

7/7/17 sfo to Alaska roundtrip

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are doing the same cruise August 7th (or is it 8th). I'm taking my 4 grandchldren aged 12, 9, 8 and 6. My grandkids loved the Junior Chef thing. First come, first served. The class as 10 children and I think if there is enough interest they will do it more then once. Basically, for $25 they meet with the Head Chef and bake their own cake. Really it is decorate their own cake but they bring it to you at dinner one night. We only had 2 kids that time but they loved it. They were incredibly patient with my autistic DGD and the Chef took extra time with her.

This trip is more port intensive but they still want to sign up for it.

Also, make sure you pre-register them.