U. S. State Department has issued a travel alert for its citizens going to Europe

gnome12

Perhaps air fares will be even better next year if more people choose not to travel.

A true optimist!!! :D And I couldn't agree with you more. We lived in London during the "troubles" and we survived 9/11....only change I made to how I live my life is a more acute awareness of my surroundings (whether I'm in Europe or my local supermarket) .... and I won't ride a subway.....ever again.....anywhere.

I am sailing in August going from Barcelona to Rome:)....I am planning on having a wonderful time:). I am now in the middle of trying find a cruise for the BIG 60 and more than likely that will not be a domestic trip. I just cannot decide what to do:eek:

CG, welcome back and hoping you are doing a review:) and I hope you have a great time.:)

I read that in the paper this morning. We are leaving June 9th for Paris and then going on AMA Lyra on

the 15th for Paris and Normandy.

It does make me wonder whether we should go or not. I wonder what position the river boat lines are taking on this travel alert issued by the government.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Know the feeling. We are on this itinerary in Jluy. Right now am watching Tele5monde-French language channel for news-won't have anything until after 8p NYC time. We are New Yorkers having gone through 2 World Trade Center bombing. We were in France last year @ time of the Nice attack. That being said. Go and enjoy your trip we plan on enjoying ours. Be aware of your surrounding. Most of all the "free world" MUST show the terrorists that we are strong.

Carole

Know the feeling. We are on this itinerary in Jluy. Right now am watching Tele5monde-French language channel for news-won't have anything until after 8p NYC time. We are New Yorkers having gone through 2 World Trade Center bombing. We were in France last year @ time of the Nice attack. That being said. Go and enjoy your trip we plan on enjoying ours. Be aware of your surrounding. Most of all the "free world" MUST show the terrorists that we are strong.

Carole

Carole, if you're talking about who won....it was Macron, by a decisive margin.

Every one certainly has to decide for themselves what they are comfortable with in terms of travel. If you are going to be uncomfortable and unable to enjoy yourself, then travel in these time may not be for you.

That being said we traveled to Europe 3 weeks after 9/11, with some trepidation. But we were so welcomed on our trip and with such concern for our well being that it totally overcame our discomfort and we had a delightful trip.

We were in Paris the week before the last attack there and plan to return this next year.

We have been traveling to Europe several times a year for several years. The only adjustments we have made to our travel are to enroll in the STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program) with the State Department that was mentioned above, to add the Horizon level of coverage to our MedJet insurance, and to pack addition quantities of any medications we might need in case of a travel stop resulting from a major incident. If you register for STEP and record the itinerary for each visit on there website you will receive by text or email any valid alerts for each area you are in as you travel. The Horizon program for MedJet provides for additional support in case of a major crisis, whether terror related or otherwise.

So we travel, but with precautions, and will as long as we continue to enjoy our experiences.