Fort Lauderdale immigration line, ugh!

mrsgoggins

Isn't this for US (and maybe Canadian) citizens only?

Redransom, did you have Global Entry?

Yes, US and Canadian passport holders only. Global Entry has a wider eligibility list, but isn't free. As you indicate that frequent US visits may no longer be the case for you, I can understand why you might not want to pay for GE.

I've just re-read your post and now understand that you self-disembarked, and yes I'm sure that's what we'll be doing in future. It took me by surprise though, having had no issues last time.

When we self disembarked Infinity in Oct it was awful.,we lined up early and had a fairly good position, ..many tried to cut the line that snaked around the lounge,, Celeb did nothing to control the chaos.

We had a long wait for clearance,,,.were advised we'd go in small groups to the elevs,,but surprise to us...the duite guests were brought agead of our line from where they had comfy quarters to wait, The elev pricess was pure chaos..

We walked thru the long penned- in area to the lines for customs where Celeb staff mishandled the lines,,those who were last became first..

The customs part was fine and taxis available, but everything organized by Celeb was shameful,l.,X does not do well with this process generally but our Inf experience was really bad,,, Best was on Connie at the newer berth building near Conv center.,easy in and out and on and off..

Edited by hcat

Toward the end of our Feb. Equinox sailing X posted numerous notices touting mobile passport. Unfortunately when we disembarked at Port Everglades terminal 25 the app wasn't working. Huge lines, but had our global entry cards. Was directed by cbp to a line with NO ONE in front of us. Out the door in 30 seconds. Strongly recommend this to all. Online application is easy, "interview" only took a couple of minutes and the $100 fee for 5 years coverage isn't bad if it speeds me through immigration lines.

Toward the end of our Feb. Equinox sailing X posted numerous notices touting mobile passport. Unfortunately when we disembarked at Port Everglades terminal 25 the app wasn't working. Huge lines, but had our global entry cards. Was directed by cbp to a line with NO ONE in front of us. Out the door in 30 seconds. Strongly recommend this to all. Online application is easy, "interview" only took a couple of minutes and the $100 fee for 5 years coverage isn't bad if it speeds me through immigration lines.

Same experience, terminal 25, Silhouette, Global Entry was completely empty. Global Entry also came with free TSA PreCheck. Very few in line at airport security, walk thru keeping belt, shoes, jacket on, and laptop stay inside carry on...took 30 seconds instead of 30 minutes. Many credit cards now reimburse you for the $100 GE application fee.

lost child and Canadianhey! thanks for sharing your experiences.

Earlier in this thread I had dismissed Global Entry and decided on self-disembarkation ...... then I read another thread about chaos getting off the Summit this way. Now I'm torn. I may well consider applying for Global Entry after all.

We disembarked the Coral Princess on Monday 4/17 and were through fairly quickly. We usually have a porter carry our luggage to the taxi stand for us, and they tend to find the quickest way to get you out the door, since they work partially on tips. You could try that next time.

First, never use the handicapped disembarkation EVER. We have used it on 2 occasions and it was horrendous. We would be #3, that happened this year in Ft. Lauderdale, and waited forever for someone to "push" you downstairs. Then, NO HANDICAPPED LINES AT ALL, horrid trying to find porters too. So, the port pusher stayed with us all the way thru customs, which took an hour. I have mobile passport but the damn thing wouldn't work. Those lines were empty. Global Entry was backed up and the non-citizen lines breezed thru. They kept Americans in the stalls!!!!

This is really not Celebrity's fault. It's the port management. Maybe if we all complained it would change things but I doubt it. Even Customs sucks. They only provide so many for the buildings. This has been going on since that ridiculous sequestration years ago. We were disembarking from Silhouette at that time and were warned that only 2 agents were working. Ft. Lauderdale again.

Now Miami was another horrid experience. Again, husband was dropped off in a section while I went for the luggage. Problem was that in 3 buildings they have now been doing airline baggage handling! It sucked!!!! Took me over an hour to find ours, an agent helped me and she was wonderful but we were probably close to the last ones out of the terminal, missed our shuttle connection and had to wait for another one. Thankfully we had no flight to connect with. I can tell you honestly, our luggage was never put on the conveyor. I stood there and watched luggage go by that I'd seen 50 times. That does not work with 2000 people. Numbers and color coded always worked but that seems to be a thing of the past. Again, port administrators are cutting costs and that is the problem. Our 2 pieces of luggage were the only ones left in our section so that tells you how long we had to wait to be helped down to the ground level. They would not let a family member push either.

I wish all good luck in the ports! We sail again from Miami in April but this time DH has his own electric chair and with assistance we can get to the handicapped elevators and up to the check-in by ourselves. I can also tell you that in Ft. Lauderdale for those who need assistance, very healthy people come down from the ship, see the elevators and RUN to them rather than take the escalators. Try to remember folks, these elevators are the only way that anyone with a handicap can maneuver. PLEASE remember they have been waiting a long time to get out of the building. Assistance with only 3 "pushers" makes their wait time double yours. So, again, patience.

Knighton and PatC, thank you for sharing your experiences. PatC, I do hope that you have much better luck on your next sailing and I do agree that it appears to mostly be Port Management at fault. Your experience at Miami as well as Fort Lauderdale sounded awful. Perhaps the situation would improve if more people complained, but I suspect that once people get out of the Port, they just want to forget the ordeal and remember the great cruise they have had.

Same experience, terminal 25, Silhouette, Global Entry was completely empty. Global Entry also came with free TSA PreCheck. Very few in line at airport security, walk thru keeping belt, shoes, jacket on, and laptop stay inside carry on...took 30 seconds instead of 30 minutes. Many credit cards now reimburse you for the $100 GE application fee.

Which ones that you know of? Thanks.