Revised Castaway Club "Benefits" - May, 2017

PopFla

DCL has changed the "benefits" of Castaway Club membership effective this month. I put the word benefits in quotes because I see very little that make these changes beneficial to members. :(

For example, the reception with the Captain and Officers will now only be held on sailings of 8 nights or longer. This amounts to a minuscule percentage of DCL sailings.

The changes are listed at https://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/media/wdpro-assets/dcl/castaway-club/disney-cruise-line-castaway-club-benefits.pdf

Am I alone in thinking that these changes are hardly an improvement ?

I thought that the only party who benefitted from these changes is DCL. They also made the point that on the reception that will occur on 8 night or longer cruises, there will be "entertainment," not a visit from the captain and/or cruise director. This means that they could send basically anything--a film, a character, or an incredible show....but they do not commit to any officer being present.

The other benefits are essentially nil. Silver CC members will now be able to book one day before newbies. There will be a designated platinum check in line (this is something that has come and gone several times over the years). There will be "discounts," which are unspecified. Again, these have changed thru the years, and the changes have usually reduced the benefit to the cruiser. And platinum members will continue to get a free Palo.

They really should look at what other cruise lines offer. Most have levels well above DCL's platinum and offer things like complimentary internet, laundry service, beverages, etc. Many also consider both number of cruises and length of those cruises to progress thru their levels.

Yes, I'll continue to enjoy my complimentary Palo while on DCL. But that isn't a reason to return to them. There are reasons, but the loyalty program isn't one of them.

Jus when I hit platinum, they go and change the rules. 🤦🏻*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not in any significant way. They have been decreasing the "onboard discount" benefits for shopping, etc. as well as the rebooking on board benefits for a long time. They kept the free Palo, which is really the only significant Palo benefit. They've actually added that there will be (put it in writing) a dedicated platinum check in line and that you will now have 3 days before the general public to make reservations when the new schedules come out.

The dedicated line can be a good thing or not. We've been on Magic cruises where there were only one or two platinum cabins....and on cruises where there were several hundred. Yeah, we like those long, special cruises and they tend to book heavily with high level Castaway Club members. It is a nice little perk that costs them nothing though, so it looks good. And if the regular line is shorter, they'll direct you there!

Bottom line--DCL just doesn't have the best loyalty program in the industry.

Would anything they did in the loyalty program change my choices in cruising? Probably not. At this point we are looking more at where the cruise is going than how much loyalty "credit" we have on a particular line. Could it matter if we were looking at a Caribbean cruise? Maybe.

Does it make me feel somewhat negative about a line when they choose to decrease previous loyalty benefits? Yes, even though those benefits were never promised to exist forever.

And I still think that DCL has reached a point where it should add another level above platinum. Perhaps that level should require both a number of cruises and a number of nights...something like 25 cruises totalling at least 175 nights.

Would anything they did in the loyalty program change my choices in cruising? Probably not.

If all Castaway Club members feel that way, then there isn't much incentive for DCL to increase benefits or add more tiers.

If all Castaway Club members feel that way, then there isn't much incentive for DCL to increase benefits or add more tiers.

Fair enough. I used to love the program and took advantage of the benefits regularly. It is just one of the many things that have changed on DCL As DCL chooses to reduce the benefits--sometimes a little, sometimes a lot--it sends a signal that they don't value my business as much as they used to.

As someone said, they don't need me. They have plenty of new cruisers who fill or almost fill their ships on every sailing. And they are well aware that that as a statistical average, the fewer cruises someone has done, the more they spend in addition to the cruise fare. Those are high profit expenditures.

I agree with you about the additional levels Moki. You've spent 3 times more than me. That deserves to be recognized. You should be able to drive the boat at this point! Haha or at least stay in the Royal suite for the weekend. :)

Edited by DCLCrazy

Hee hee, No 'm not expecting that. But the free internet on Princess is really nice (no, it is not unlimited but it is a generous package based on the length of the cruise.) And if I ever qualify for the complimentary laundry, I'll likely use it.

DCL's free bingo card with purchase of however many, free 8X10 with purchase of photo package, etc. just doesn't cut it. And I remember when they had the GOOD repeat guest receptions....as well as a much larger OBC for booking on board than they give today.

This may be off topic......

But, what about the bags they give out to repeaters? Now they are all the same color and do not distinguish levels. I really hate that. Just about everybody on the darn boat has the same color!

And, I was reading something on the DIS about maybe the lanyards are going to all the same color?! Is that true? Just in case, I am thinking of bringing my platinum lanyard on our upcoming cruise.

And I still think that DCL has reached a point where it should add another level above platinum. Perhaps that level should require both a number of cruises and a number of nights...something like 25 cruises totalling at least 175 nights.

I know we've discussed this before and I totally agree with you.

When did that happen?? I was on the boat in feb and got a Gold bag.

A couple of years ago. Before that they had gold, silver, black - depending on your level. Now every repeater gets a gold bag.

The return cruiser gift has changed many times thru the years. There have even been times when different ships were giving different gifts. This is typically when they are getting ready to make a change.

Over the years, we have received a picture frame, beach towels, and several different styles of bags and backpacks with various contents...as well as some things I'm probably not remembering.

I would like to see things like behind the scenes tours of the theater and shows. Discount on the 10-20% discount on the cabanas, if you're lucky enough to snag one. Maybe a welcome aboard bottle of champagne. All this for platinum only.

I would like to see things like behind the scenes tours of the theater and shows. Discount on the 10-20% discount on the cabanas, if you're lucky enough to snag one. Maybe a welcome aboard bottle of champagne. All this for platinum only.

They used to have some of that. For several years there was the "platinum experience." This was an adult only behind the scenes tour. Some of the titles were similar to "general public" tours, but the experience was much different. We had already done the "general" tours that were available. In the Platinum experience, we did the theatre experience where we got to ride the lifts, see how the fancy lighting worked, got up close with some of the costumes, etc. We did the VIP galley tour which included a collection of some of the recipes, champagne was served, and we got to go to a lot more areas than the general galley tour. We did the stingray/animal research tour at Castaway Cay. There may have been more, but I clearly remember these.

There used to be a food gift in your stateroom. We started with about 5 or 6 choices, then it dropped to a fruit plate, box of truffles (5 pieces), or a bottle of sparkling wine. At one point there was $25 off any purchase of $100 or more in the gift shops; it had to be at least $100 in one purchase. Then it dropped to 10% off most purchases; select items were not eligible. Trust me, we knew how to group our purchases to make that $100 minimum. Of course the danger in waiting is that they do run out of items in the shops. And for a while the platinum OBC on a 7 or more night rebooking on board was $350 as well as the 10% discount. There were lesser amounts for gold and for shorter cruises....last I knew it was $200 for 7 or more nights and they had exempted many cruises--generally holidays and some of the specialty cruises like the British Isles last summer.

Sorry, this didn't start out to be a grumpy post. My point is that they used to do the things you suggested. But as others have pointed out, they have no need to offer perks as they nearly fill ships most of the time. The same applies to the cabanas--why discount them when they fill up at the full price?

Most have levels well above DCL's platinum and offer things like complimentary internet' date=' laundry service, beverages, etc. Many also consider both number of cruises and length of those cruises to progress thru their levels.[/quote']

I totally agree with you on this. For example, you take two first time Disney cruisers. One books the Roy suite for a 7 nighter (Cost: over $30K for 7 nights). Second one books 10 back to backs (3 & 4 nighters) in an inside (cost: $10-15K for 35 nights). Cruiser #1 is a Silver CC, Cruiser #2 has platinum status.

Sorry Disney, but I don't know what to do with any more beach bags. Give me some free drinks or coupons for laundry service. Eight Disney cruises and never met the Captain. One Celebrity cruise and I was invited to dine at the Captains table.

I totally agree with you on this. For example, you take two first time Disney cruisers. One books the Roy suite for a 7 nighter (Cost: over $30K for 7 nights). Second one books 10 back to backs (3 & 4 nighters) in an inside (cost: $10-15K for 35 nights). Cruiser #1 is a Silver CC, Cruiser #2 has platinum status.

Sorry Disney, but I don't know what to do with any more beach bags. Give me some free drinks or coupons for laundry service. Eight Disney cruises and never met the Captain. One Celebrity cruise and I was invited to dine at the Captains table.

You nailed it exactly. My 12 and 14 night cruises count exactly the same as someone's 3 night cruise. I think it would be very difficult for DCL to change the existing levels, but if they were to add a new level it could be defined any way they chose.

Not sure why you never met a DCL captain though--there are meet and greets with captain and senior officers in the atrium and prior to this new announcement there was the "Gold and Platinum reception" on all cruises of at least 4 nights. The captain was the official host at this function, and it would seem that you should have had 3 invitations.

Again, not intending to minimize the many great experiences we've had on DCL--some thru official channels, some pixie dust that just happened. But they could do better with the formal program.

I would assume they purchase them through DIS procurement, which means their volume buying price is insanely low. They may actually be cheaper than the alcohol and labor and any taxes that may be incurred.

You would think a free drink coupon would be more cost effective than all those bags. At this point, I'm giving them away to family members once I get home.

You nailed it exactly. My 12 and 14 night cruises count exactly the same as someone's 3 night cruise. I think it would be very difficult for DCL to change the existing levels' date=' but if they were to add a new level it could be defined any way they chose.

Not sure why you never met a DCL captain though--there are meet and greets with captain and senior officers in the atrium.......[/quote']

You bring up another very valid point about 14 day cruises getting same CC credit as does the three day cruisers. I feel Celebrity's program gives you Captains club points based on number of days and room category.

And yes, we had available photo ops with the captain on every disney cruise, but on Celebrity, the captain would make informal visits to the concierge lounge, and could be seen every night wandering about the ship.

As a platinum level castaway club member, I know they really did not take anything of significance away from us, other than the receptions. Nonetheless, I don't like what I have read about changes to the various levels. It feels like to get the Platinum experience you have to book a concierge suite these days. They have an officers reception or cocktail hour, or at least in the past they did. We used to book concierge, however we are empty nesters and when the now adult children go with us it just doesn't make economic sense to book the concierge suites.

For Platinum or Platinum Plus guests, I would have expected DCL to add an amenity like reduced internet or free laundry. In fact, I still expect that. I realize it may never happen, especially with DCL filling ships at the prices they command. Yet, we still keep cruising with DCL. As they expand the fleet, they may need to rethink the loyalty program.

As regards the receptions, they get quite crowded, it can be hard to find a seat or obtain a drink. I do hope they come up with a way to continue these. We should let them know that meeting the officers is an important part of a guest experience.

We did try Princess last year, but in the end we really love DCL, despite's our very real disappointment with the loyalty program.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by STHCruising