Collector Voyage Activities Question

BlackJack2

We recently cruised on a 28-Day Collectors' Voyage on the Volendam. This Collectors' Voyage was sold as one cruise, but we were onboard with others that had bought the first 14 days as one cruise and others that had bought the second 14 days as another cruise. The activities the first 14 days were good. But, on the last 14 days, almost every event was repeated, with the exception of the “On Location Guide” talks. On one day, they took the Daily Navigator from the previous week and just changed the date - same activities, including the show room act. Is this normal for a Collector’s Voyage tohave all the on board activities repeated?

Yes. We have done 14-day Alaska trips, which were sold as "collector's cruises", and were actually two 7-day itineraries back to back (northbound from Vancouver to Seward, returning southbound from Seward to Vancouver). There was one port difference on those routes, Skagway going north, and Haines going south. But Alaska may be a bit different; the views, weather, seas, and wildlife watching can vary somewhat dramatically from one week's passage to the next, and since we spend a lot of time out on deck, it made for a very interesting comparison. But essentially all activities, shows, and I think even menus were the same. We mixed it up by choosing to participate in different activities, or attending another show or music performance on each leg, or eating at the specialty restaurants to give us some menu variety.

IMHO, it has become a meaningless marketing term designed to make you think you are getting something extra, but actually taking away some of your benefits. For example, as a 5-star Mariner, if I booked the collector voyage, DW and I would be able to bring aboard our two bottles of wine without corkage, get two free Pinnacle dinners, and some free internet if we buy the package. If we booked the 28 days as back to back 14 day cruises, we would get all of those benefits a second time with the caveat that we might have to move to a similar cabin at day 14.

We have done quite a few back-to-back and Collector Cruises and yes -- the activities and shows were just about always the same. Sometimes the segment would have 1 or 2 different entertainers because the other ones left the ship.

Even many of the dinners were the same.

IMHO, it has become a meaningless marketing term designed to make you think you are getting something extra, but actually taking away some of your benefits. For example, as a 5-star Mariner, if I booked the collector voyage, DW and I would be able to bring aboard our two bottles of wine without corkage, get two free Pinnacle dinners, and some free internet if we buy the package. If we booked the 28 days as back to back 14 day cruises, we would get all of those benefits a second time with the caveat that we might have to move to a similar cabin at day 14.

Have you actually priced it? We have. We are booked on Koningsdam - Vista Suite - 21 days in January 2018. The difference between the 21 day cruise and the 10 and 11 day cruises it combines is actually $344 per person to our advantage by booking the 21 days. That is quite a bit more than 2 corkage fees, 2 Pinnacle dinners which we get at a greatly reduced rate anyways and $100 worth of internet.

We have done quite a few back-to-back and Collector Cruises and yes -- the activities and shows were just about always the same. Sometimes the segment would have 1 or 2 different entertainers because the other ones left the ship.

Even many of the dinners were the same.[/quote

One advantage of repeat menus on Collector Voyages or b2bs, is you can try new dishes the second time, or iv you really liked a dish, you can have it again.]

If you have CCL stock a 14 day collectors cruise is better than 2 7 day cruises because you get $250 for a 14 day and only $100 for each of the 7 day. But as 5 star we would get 2 more Pinnacle dinners and 1 more cooking class/pinnacle lunch with the 2 7 day.

Have you actually priced it? We have. We are booked on Koningsdam - Vista Suite - 21 days in January 2018. The difference between the 21 day cruise and the 10 and 11 day cruises it combines is actually $344 per person to our advantage by booking the 21 days. That is quite a bit more than 2 corkage fees, 2 Pinnacle dinners which we get at a greatly reduced rate anyways and $100 worth of internet.

OK, Louis, I think you are right. Hate to admit that I may have been wrong. I just looked at a couple of Veendam 7 and 14 day cruises in the Northeast and found that it would cost $145. more if you took the two 7-day cruises rather than the 14 day one. That is per person, so you really don't save anything by doing the back to back. Thanks for putting me straight.

OK, Louis, I think you are right. Hate to admit that I may have been wrong. I just looked at a couple of Veendam 7 and 14 day cruises in the Northeast and found that it would cost $145. more if you took the two 7-day cruises rather than the 14 day one. That is per person, so you really don't save anything by doing the back to back. Thanks for putting me straight.

I think we might be both be right sometimes. My point was that one is always better to verify both options when they are available. Some times the Verandah Sale or the Explore 4 Sale will skew the prices one way or another and the difference between one long cruise or two short ones may not be as apparent. Caveat emptor!

I think we might be both be right sometimes. My point was that one is always better to verify both options when they are available. Some times the Verandah Sale or the Explore 4 Sale will skew the prices one way or another and the difference between one long cruise or two short ones may not be as apparent. Caveat emptor!

So that's another "what-if" to be mindful of. Should I book two cruises or one as a collector? Should I book now or wait for a promotion? Should I book the current promotion or wait to see if the prices come down? Should I book a guarantee and hope for an upgrade--are there any bad categories above the guarantee I'm booking?

Booking a cruise is getting more complicated all the time. :eek:

Thanks for all the answers. So, the next time we book a Collectors' Voyage, we will know that activities will be repeats. One of my favorite activities is the guest lecturer and all the lectures were repeats, even though we were sailing in different areas of Asia.