Cooking classes?

In one of the other posts, somebody mentioned that it was hard to get into cooking classes. My son and I would love to participate in one. Does anybody have any tips to maximize our changes to get a spot in a cooking class (if offered)?

In one of the other posts, somebody mentioned that it was hard to get into cooking classes. My son and I would love to participate in one. Does anybody have any tips to maximize our changes to get a spot in a cooking class (if offered)?

First thing when you get onboard is find out where you sign up. Might be the front desk or the culinary arts center theater. There are however cooking demonstrations that are open for everyone which are now run by America's Test Kitchen, but the actual hands-on cooking classes are very limited due to the nature of the activity. Good luck.

The classes are limited to 12 people -- $29 per person. Not certain how old your son is -- but he may not be allowed to sign up if he is too young.

You can go to either the front desk (that would be my first choice) or to the Culinary Arts Center.

One of the reasons that the classes fill up quickly is because 5 star Mariners now are entitled to do the cooking class for free. And there is no way of knowing how many 5 star Mariners will be on your cruise.

I enjoyed the two classes I've done on our HAL cruises. I asked on our most recent cruise what the menu was going to be and decided against signing up to do a third one then. But it is a great experience--better and cheaper than a lot of shore excursions.

Go to the front desk right away and ask about it. You may be put on a waiting list because the 5* Mariners get first dibs on the classes. Once that's sorted out, the front desk staff will contact you if there's space. So if they say there's only the waiting list, ask to be put on it. I've made it off the waiting list a few times. Now that HAL has made it a 5* perk, they should add more classes so that non 5* have a chance, too.