Anyone have packing down to a manageable science?

Aliann

We allocate one back pack each to hold books, MP3 players (for flights to the US) and cameras then have 2 roller bags (a couple plus 10 year old son) and that's it. If all the clothes we want to take don't fit in then some of it stays home!!

The last few years our vacation has been 3 to 3.5 weeks but we wear clothes more than once - nobody other than us will ever know. For our cruise in the summer I chose a pair of evening sandals which would go with any outfit that I thought I might wear to dinner so that cut down on space. We also decided to use the laundry special towards the end of the cruise to have underwear and T-shirts cleaned so that we could wear them again on the next half of our vacation.

When we stay in a hotel we make a point of taking their "laundry" bag - great way to separate dirty clothes from any clean ones that may have been taken but not worn (yes, still manage to do that, even when packing fairly light).

In theory, I'm great at packing. I make a short list and take only the clothes I'm fairly sure I'll wear. The problem comes when there's 15 minutes before I leave and suddenly decide I need everything in sight. A few extra pairs of shoes, hair products, textbooks (as if I'll read them on my cruise!)... I've mastered fitting in last minute items; by the time I leave, I still only have one suitcase but it's twice my weight!

Well that is what I mean, you alwys bring to much and some things are missing, am trying this time to bring the right things :o

The crocpot will defenitly stay home, will be in heaven ,no cocking for tree weeks . Bliss..:D

I would not call that bliss:eek:

Then what would you call it? maby my mastery of the english language is not so good? Bliss for me means to be happy. and I am happy to leave all housekeeping at home :)

We have a small pension (bed and breakfast,with a biergarden ) and I do all the housekeeping myself,for six months seven days a week, I have earned this cruise :) and cant wait to go...............

We fly out on saturday

Anne-Mai

Then what would you call it? maby my mastery of the english language is not so good? Bliss for me means to be happy. and I am happy to leave all housekeeping at home :)

We have a small pension (bed and breakfast,with a biergarden ) and I do all the housekeeping myself,for six months seven days a week, I have earned this cruise :) and cant wait to go...............

We fly out on saturday

Anne-Mai

I was being a wise guy - leaving all the housework and worries home is bliss.

Your mastery of English is far better then mine of any other language but as written it is pretty funny. You may want to edit and use "cooking"

This board is better than any planned comedy routine.

(I do have a very warped sense of humor!)

Shoreguy, this one caused me to laugh as hard as the day

I was trying to post a picture, and couldn't.

You came to the rescue, with the pic and a caption:

"No crackers with my soup, thank you!"

Do you remember - the guy stirring the soup in the corner on

some derelict ship?

Thanks for the chuckles - over and over and over again.

Keep 'em coming, please!

This board is better than any planned comedy routine.

(I do have a very warped sense of humor!)

Shoreguy, this one caused me to laugh as hard as the day

I was trying to post a picture, and couldn't.

You came to the rescue, with the pic and a caption:

"No crackers with my soup, thank you!"

Do you remember - the guy stirring the soup in the corner on

some derelict ship?

Thanks for the chuckles - over and over and over again.

Keep 'em coming, please!

How could I forget - I wish I could remember where we found it.

I don't see anywhere you get a prize for taking the least number of bags. I always try to take enough so I won't need laundry services during the trip. Sailing NCL helps a lot because you don't have to bring dress up stuff. It also helps that we don't have a balcony cabin which would necessitate fishing gear and a George Foreman Grill for the catch.

My luck I'd take all bottoms or all tops out! lol

Well if you take all tops out you can just buy T shirts etc. Now all bottoms, that's a different story!!!! NMNita ps Don has it down pretty well, but for us gals we need a few more things, like jewelry and make up, just to mention a few.

Electronic stuff I pack

Here is what I have.

OH and don't forget to bring along AC extention cords with plenty of outlets.

1. laptop

2. still camera

3. toothbrushes (2)

4. video camera

5. fan

6. noise machine

7. PDA

8. cell phones (2)

9. crok pot

10. Alarm clock

Need about 12 outlets

Bring the crock pot and leave the rest at home. NMNita

Read throug this again.....:o how do I do the editing bit

or should I just leave you all lauhging

A you all see I dont spend my days at a deskwith a pc.

never mind, too late....................

I am sorry - keep posting - we all have created a laugh or two - welcome to cruse critic:)

Tsk-Tsk, Shoreguy!!!

Kaitiaga....if you haven't figured out yet....not just a typo, but an American slang word that could leave any of our husband's in a bad frame of mind if for 3 weeks there would be no cocking.....MEN!!!!

You will have the Jewel figured out and beable to tell us where the good food is since you are lucky to do the back-to-back....see you December 5 at 9:30 in the Star Bar.....and have a safe flight. ;)

no cocking for tree weeks . Bliss..:D

I'm laughing so hard and trying to figure out a response that won't get this thread pulled, so, I'll just leave it at...

I for one plan on doing what kataiga isn't.

We are certainly just teasing and not laughing at you, but with you. Thanks everyone and it's a great start to the OPA club - over packers annonymous. If this thread keeps going we should all be able to get our packing down, those of us who take everything we own.

I do find as one poster said, when its the last minute, I throw everything in and more. And there's really nothing wrong with having everything, but the more I have to lug around, the more miserable I am. It would be great if I was driving, put it in the car, and dropped it off out front. But when you have to go through airports, hotels (before and after) sometimes even 2 hotels etc. before you even get to port it's frustrating!

I'm seriously going to start buying clothes specifically for cruises to mix and match, a wardrobe of just the simple pieces I need and I won't wear them any other time! That way they're like new everytime I put them on.

I'm laughing so hard and trying to figure out a response that won't get this thread pulled, so, I'll just leave it at...

I for one plan on doing what kataiga isn't.

Too late to edit, I guess I should have said participating in.

Course it could have something to do with chickens and 'tree' weeks could be a special event in her town. Maybe it isn't allowed during that time.

I have to say, I now really do have the packing down to a science. I have one suitcase, one suit bag, and one carry on (and the computer - which now has become a problem with the airlines as they only allow one carry on and one personal item and some people in security get ticked and count the purse as a third carry on - ughh - which means sometimes I have to stuff the purse into the carryon). I leave a huge amount of duplicate things in my suitcase all year around - blow drier, brush, curling iron, hairspray, medications, perfume, suntan lotion, bug spray, fan, electric cords, batteries, etc. etc. It stays half full most of the year but then I never have to worry that I will forget anything.

I have a hanging makeup bag I hang in my bathroom year around that I use daily and when it comes to a trip, I just throw it in the suitcase - all done!

So all I really have to pack is clothes and shoes and book tapes at the last minute. I take everything I am bringing from my closet on the hanger and put them in the suit bag on the hanger. In the cabin, it goes right into the closet on the hanger - done!

Pants, shorts, shoes, underwear, pantyhose goes in the suitcase in a matter of minutes.

Seriously, I pack in less than half an hour. Usually takes me longer to figure out what book tapes to bring with me :)

A long time ago we used to pack...boy did we pack. Over the years it has been reduced significantly...especially when we take land vacations. It started once when we both packed, and then challenged each other to cut it down by 1/2. We met the goal and continue to reduce it. First to go were those shoes, then the suit. You get the gist of this. Trying the Sun in Feb. and anticpate that it will be down to 1 carry on roller each and one knapsack. We take one book each and typically exchange it on board for another when we are finished. We do use the laudry service once in a while. We seldom purchase any of the trinkets and trash although I must say that we did a post cruise shopping trip in FLL last year and had to buy a new suitcase...which we needed anyway as on of the old ones had a few too many miles on it.

We are on cruise #14 I think, so I have modified packing as time has gone on. NCL makes it easy with no formal required. My husband wore one pair of shoes and took sandals. I take everyday shoes, one pair of dress shoes (black), flip flops, water shoes, and my snorkel mask.

On our last 10-day cruise, I took five outfits each for dinners and five outfits each for days. We came home with some clothes not even touched, so I will cut back more next time.

Clothes, especially the ones you wear to dinner can be worn more than once. This is made easier by freestyle cruising. You could wear the same clothes every night and no one would notice. :-)

We take two large rolling suitcases and one carry-on roller. Into the carry-on goes all our medications, toiletries, etc.

We now take only the small digital camera and charger. I bring 7 paperbacks (I read quickly).

I pack our clothes for dinner on their hangers. When we get to the cabin, I just pull them out on their hangers, put them away and "voila" I'm unpacked.

I also take this fold-up rolling shopping cart type of thing that I got free when I purchased some clothes on-line. It's so great for excursions because you can roll it along instead of having to carry it.

The main thing is to enjoy the cruise. Have a great time no matter how many suitcases you end up taking. :-)

I thought I was a pretty good packer, but now I see I'm just a piker. You MPs (master packers) get on over here and help me out for this Sunday's cruise. Come on! I've got some pumpkin pie for you!

Unfortunately I think your pumpkin pie would be finished by the time I took to reach you :( . Not too keen on turkey (traditional Christmas meal in the UK) but I love pumpkin pie. Not something that's widely available over here though.

Unfortunately I think your pumpkin pie would be finished by the time I took to reach you :( . Not too keen on turkey (traditional Christmas meal in the UK) but I love pumpkin pie. Not something that's widely available over here though.

When I lived in London, I often made pumpkin pie for British friends. They loved it. It's one of the better American contributions to world cuisine.

Archived