Anyone have packing down to a manageable science?

Aliann

Back yesterday from our 19 day trip on the Crown & SOOO tired from 8 1/2 Hr. (overnight) flight from Santiago to Miami..No "COOKING" for me today..Went out for Dinner but had a drink & now trying to stay awake till 10: p.m. so I won't be up in the middle of the night..Reading this thread to keep me awake..Well you all succeeded! It's so funny..:D

Still haven't learned how to pack properly..Vowed to only take 4 pairs of shoes, but ended up taking 9 (NINE) plus slippers which don't count..Had to re-distribute the weight in our luggage for American flight from Santiago..Our 29 inch weighed 28.8 Kilos & our 26 inch weighed 26.5 Kilos..Thank goodness we were ticketed before the Oct. 01, 50 lb. deadline, as we just came in under the 70 lb limit..American put an extra large orange tag on these two pieces that stated:

" HEAVY-Assisted Lift May Be Required-BEND YOUR KNEES"..:o How embarrassing!

This is the first time in 30 years that I've seen or had this type of tag placed on our luggage...Have no idea what our rolling garment bag or our 21 inch checked carry-on weighed..And yes I too had my purse in a carry on so I could take another for all our Toiletries Med's & Cosmetics..

Vowing now to take only the necessities on our 25 day Amazon Cruise next April.. Any one want to wager a bet that I can do it?;)

My friends Marilyn & Al will let you know the truth, when we return..

OK time for bed & thanks for all the laughs..Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Betty

P.S. The duct tape repaired a 10 inch gash in our large suitcase, two years ago..Thanks to the tip from Cruise Critic members..

We have a rule. You pack it, you carry it. Works wonders!

I like that rule!

Those who wish to pack everything they "might" need, including the kitchen sink, should carry those heavy bags.

I believe in packing only the things I will need and cannot buy onboard or abroad.

I know the mere mention of kids can send chills up the spine of many a CC'er, but how about packing for 2 adults and 4 kids for a 7-night cruise? We usually do not eat at buffet, as its miserable with 4 kids who don't manage a tray very well, plus mom and dad never get to sit down (drinks, napkins, cutlery, etc.). Therefore, using the dining room every night requires proper dress for all, and by the end of the night my kids' outfits will not be fit to wear again that cruise, inevitably. (Various cruise lines' children's clubs, for instance, will apply face paint on formal night?! Has soiled many an outfit..) Anyway, that's 4 outfits times 7 nights/4 outfits times 8 days for kids alone -60 outfits! Add shoes, PJs, bathing suits/coverups. And I haven't even begun packing for myself and my husband! I've tried to hand wash items - they never dry properly (haven't done balcony yet). My husband has a fit, but I cannot seem to trim down the packing, even after 6 cruises with the kids. On the last night of the cruise, I have yet to notice a lot of stuff that wasn't used. Any tips??

I know the mere mention of kids can send chills up the spine of many a CC'er, but how about packing for 2 adults and 4 kids for a 7-night cruise? We usually do not eat at buffet, as its miserable with 4 kids who don't manage a tray very well, plus mom and dad never get to sit down (drinks, napkins, cutlery, etc.). Therefore, using the dining room every night requires proper dress for all, and by the end of the night my kids' outfits will not be fit to wear again that cruise, inevitably. (Various cruise lines' children's clubs, for instance, will apply face paint on formal night?! Has soiled many an outfit..) Anyway, that's 4 outfits times 7 nights/4 outfits times 8 days for kids alone -60 outfits! Add shoes, PJs, bathing suits/coverups. And I haven't even begun packing for myself and my husband! I've tried to hand wash items - they never dry properly (haven't done balcony yet). My husband has a fit, but I cannot seem to trim down the packing, even after 6 cruises with the kids. On the last night of the cruise, I have yet to notice a lot of stuff that wasn't used. Any tips??

Take advantage of the onboard laundry facilities - even if that involved sending things out to be done.

Take only the pair of shoes which each are wearing, plus one more. Slacks or pants for the children surely can be used more than one day, and yours too.

Years ago, we traveled in a sixteen foot trailer each summer - sometimes for over a month at a time with three children.

We too had to learn economy of space, and packing. It worked beautifully once we got it down to a science.

We found that things such as vests, light weight sweaters and such helped

with clothing economy by being able to change the look of an outfit.

It is a challenge, but you can cut back with color coordination, and mix and match outfits.

On our recent cruise, I noticed that some parents asked for help from the attendants in the buffet with handling of trays for young children. You may try this and see if perhaps it is possible on your cruise. If not, do their trays first, then yours lastly.

Good luck - it truly can be done. Good for you for including these children in a delightful experience. How fortunate they are!!

I was going to mention the same thing: on board laundry plus the old mix and match, at least for the adults. We leave in 3 weeks for a 2 week Florida trip and cruise. I am laying in bed at night figuring how to get the luggage down to a minimum. Others count sheep, I count shorts, tops and pieces of luggage. NMNita

I limit my shoes to one pair for at night and every outfit has to go with it. Then, I bring one pair of sandals for daytime and every outfit has to go with them. I accomplish this by packing in color schemes and usually it is black, tan and white. Therefore, black shoes works for everything. I hate the weight that shoes can add so this is my limit. Then, for evening I wear one pair of dress pants every night and change the top. The pants I bring are the most wonderful material (Anne Klein), somewhat of a silky knit. They never, EVER need ironing and you can roll them up in a ball and there is still no wrinkles. I like them so much for traveling that I never wear them when I'm not traveling to save them from too much wear. Then on the daytime outfits, I pull out what I think I need and then cut it in half.

My biggest challenge is not letting DH any where near the suitcases during the last day before leaving as he will keep adding and adding no matter how many times I remind him that he doesn't need 12 different shirts for a 7 day cruise. Also, I have him wear his Polo type shirts one night to dinner while it is fresh and clean and then the next day he wears it with shorts.

Now my next personal challenge is convincing myself to leave my hair dryer at home and use the one provided in the room. I'm so attached to my own that I'm always afraid that I won't like they provide.

I love the idea of wearing a polo for night and then wear it the next day for casual wear!! I plan to take 2 pair of shoes....wear tennis shoes and take 1 pair for day time and one pair for evenings.

I will try the laundry service this time on POA...great ideas! Keep them coming!

Happy Sails to You!

Archived