Rome tour for 2?

angrypineapple813

Hi everyone!

My sister and I will be cruising on the Symphony in June 2018!! We are beyond excited.

I'm researching tour options for Rome. We will be flying in a few days prior to explore.

Can anyone recommend another company other than Rome in Limo? I'd like to get pricing from other tour companies that are also reputable and because it will only be the two of us, I'm wondering if it might be difficult to find a company that services smaller groups?

I appreciate the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

it won't be a problem finding a company, it's the price you might not like.

most people set up groups with their roll call, usually 8 people total, sometimes up to 12.

i can't really recommend a company as i haven't used them yet, but between here and tripadvisor, you should be able to find some good companies that fit your needs.

If you are staying in Rome for a few days before your cruise, it's fairly straightforward to do sightseeing in Rome without need for a private driver (which is the primary advantage of an outfit like Rome in Limo).

I would recommend you research what you want to see and do in Rome. If you want to see the Vatican, you can book very high quality semi-private tours that only require you to meet them at the entrance. (For reference, a taxi ride from a central area of Rome to the Vatican is only about 10 euro, more or less.) You can group all the Vatican sites in one day, and do the central Rome ancient sites on a second day.

You can even pre-book tickets for places like the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine Hill so you don't have to wait in line once you're there.

Rome is a city best discovered on foot, and it's the best way to sightsee unless someone has mobility issues.

RomeInLimo is great for a port day. As cruisemom42 said Rome is easy to explore on your own. Transportation is easy with taxis, metro and walking.

If you want a guide for the Colosseum/Forum or the Vatican there are guides that offer half and full day tours where you meet them at the site or your hotel.

I have a half day tour of the Vatican with Rome with Marisa this fall for my daughter-in-laws first visit.

https://www.italyprivatexcursion.com/shore-excursions/port-of-rome-civitavecchia/rome-around-transfer/?b=1#booking

Another option. This company comes highly recommended as well, and you can either have a guided tour or an on your own type tour. Also, there is a disclaimer on their web site about the very tight security at the Colosseum these days, and it seems that the lines are quite bad due to increased security. They actually are encouraging people to view it from the outside only as not to waste time. Too bad, since it only took 15 mins to get in in 2015

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are staying in Rome for a few days before your cruise, it's fairly straightforward to do sightseeing in Rome without need for a private driver (which is the primary advantage of an outfit like Rome in Limo).

I would recommend you research what you want to see and do in Rome. If you want to see the Vatican, you can book very high quality semi-private tours that only require you to meet them at the entrance. (For reference, a taxi ride from a central area of Rome to the Vatican is only about 10 euro, more or less.) You can group all the Vatican sites in one day, and do the central Rome ancient sites on a second day.

You can even pre-book tickets for places like the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine Hill so you don't have to wait in line once you're there.

Rome is a city best discovered on foot, and it's the best way to sightsee unless someone has mobility issues.

My thoughts exactly. :)

A guide is only worthwhile if he / she goes into the various sights with you - and if it's just a driver-cum-guide they won't because of parking issues.

And yes, except for those with mobility problems walking is the best way to see, experience & soak-up historic Rome -with mebbe the occasional hop by taxi or on a local bus or the metro.

Each to their own, but independently is the way I'd do it, especially with a few days there

JB :)

A guide is only worthwhile if he / she goes into the various sights with you - and if it's just a driver-cum-guide they won't because of parking issues.

It has nothing to do with parking issues, it's about licensing. A driver is one license, a guide is another, and a tour director is yet another license. It is possible for one person to have more than one license but they cannot use them simultaneously. In other words, even if a person was licensed as both a driver and a local guide, they can't use both licenses on the same job.

I've known guides who were willing to take risks in less popular parts of Italy but not in Rome. It's time consuming and expensive to get the license in the first place, it's just not worth the risk to them.

I've been in touch with Rome in Limo and have gotten a quote. I was hoping to find out if there were other companies like them to compare against.

There are several companies mentioned by folks here, including:

Joe Banana Limo

Private Tour in Italy

Stefano's Rome Cabs

talytoursharing.com

Bob's limo

Rome-car-tours

Rome Cabs

All of these I found in a quick search of this forum.

There are several companies mentioned by folks here, including:

Joe Banana Limo

Private Tour in Italy

Stefano's Rome Cabs

talytoursharing.com

Bob's limo

Rome-car-tours

Rome Cabs

All of these I found in a quick search of this forum.

Correct but Joe Banana and Italytoursharing is the same tour company. ;)

Thank you, Cruisemom! We decided to get a room near the Pantheon as that seems like a pretty central location and walk to visit sites from there. When I first started researching it seemed like getting a private car service was the way to go because of crowds, traffic and pickpockets but you've and others have us convinced to walk everywhere and really soak it all in. Would you say that walking to the Vatican is doable? According to google maps it's about 1.3 mile walk from the hotel.

I appreciate the help!

Thank you, Cruisemom! We decided to get a room near the Pantheon as that seems like a pretty central location and walk to visit sites from there. When I first started researching it seemed like getting a private car service was the way to go because of crowds, traffic and pickpockets but you've and others have us convinced to walk everywhere and really soak it all in. Would you say that walking to the Vatican is doable? According to google maps it's about 1.3 mile walk from the hotel.

I appreciate the help!

The area around the Pantheon is my favorite. :D You will enjoy it; plenty going on in the evenings and lots of good restaurants nearby.

You can definitely walk to the Vatican. I will just warn, though, that once you get to the Vatican (depending on what you'll be doing), you'll be on your feet for hours. My rule of thumb is to save the feet when possible. ;) But if you feel up to it, you can walk. I'd recommend mapping a path that takes you over the Ponte Sant'Angelo (the "Angel Bridge") across the Tiber and then past Castel Sant'Angelo: https://alohakuwait.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/img_0651_23.jpg

The area near the Pantheon is great, and so magical at night!

Have a look at the Rick Steve's audio tours - easy to download to your phone, full of good information, user-friendly and free!

If you want to spend your time and money on a very special walking tour, have a look at those offered by Eating Italy. We took the evening tour of Trastavere and it was one of our all-time favorites.

I may be a little late to the party, but our group of six used Rome AND Limo (not to be confused with RomeInLimo). It's also called Luke the Driver, or Luke Limosine on TripAdvisor. Honestly, I cannot say enough about Luca (Gianluca Strano) and the wonderful tour he gave us. It was my third trip to Rome and definitely the BEST. I cannot recommend him enough. Even on TripAdvisor, he hasn't gotten one review that is less than excellent. If I go back to Rome I wouldn't think of using anyone else.