Viking Pre-cruise Question

hawkeye65

We're doing a pre-cruise in Amsterdam. I'm guessing all pre-cruise pax will be staying at the same hotel. Will the Viking rep make any effort into introducing similarly positioned pax, or will we be orphans until we board the ship?

This question is based on a driving tour in Nova Scotia we took yrs ago. We took an overnight "cruise" then drove a prepaid, set route staying in specific hotels. It wasn't until the end that we and seven other couples figured out we were all on the same tour. As another woman said, it would have been nice to have known each other from the start. We could have shared the experience.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Just returned from our Rhine Getaway with Viking that included a pre cruise stay in Amsterdam. You'll have the opportunity to meet others on your cruise if you partake in the walking tour. For our trip, this was offered the morning of the second day.

Enjoy!

Jeff

My Amsterdam pre-cruise with Viking was in August 2016. I was picked up at the airport with another couple and taken to the hotel. Since we'd arrived early, our rooms weren't ready so we decided to walk to Dam Square together and then had lunch. The next morning at breakfast in the hotel, I sat with them and another couple.

We had the included walking tour the morning of the second day. After that it was easy to spot people who would be on the cruise and to start a conversation.

My Amsterdam pre-cruise with Viking was in August 2016. I was picked up at the airport with another couple and taken to the hotel. Since we'd arrived early, our rooms weren't ready so we decided to walk to Dam Square together and then had lunch. The next morning at breakfast in the hotel, I sat with them and another couple.

We had the included walking tour the morning of the second day. After that it was easy to spot people who would be on the cruise and to start a conversation.

We are doing this cruise next May. Could you tell me how long the walking tour is and where you toured? We arrive Monday morning and thinking of doing a canal cruise, then Anne Frank house on Tuesday afternoon. I would also like to visit the Van Gogh museum. Did the walking tour on embarkation day (for us on Wednesday), duplicate the other tour? Thanks for any help.

We are doing this cruise next May. Could you tell me how long the walking tour is and where you toured? We arrive Monday morning and thinking of doing a canal cruise, then Anne Frank house on Tuesday afternoon. I would also like to visit the Van Gogh museum. Did the walking tour on embarkation day (for us on Wednesday), duplicate the other tour? Thanks for any help.

Prebook you tickets online for both places

or you will end up waiting in line a looooong time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ann Frank line when we went in Sept 2015 (after school had started) was 3 hrs long and wrapped around the block by 10am. We booked a 9am admittance direct with the museum as soon as that date was available on line (about 3 or 4 months out). We walked straight in. Note that I tried to email and ask questions to the museum and never received an answer.

The canal ride was a great way to see so much after walking for several hrs. You get to rest your tired feet and just enjoy the view.

Prebook you tickets online for both places

or you will end up waiting in line a looooong time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I already had my calendar marked for Anne Frank house tour two months out, but will double check if they will sell further out. Thanks.

Our walking tour was the day after we arrived in Amsterdam, scheduled from 9:30 to 11:30, although ours went about ten minutes over. We covered a lot of area in that time. I know we saw the Begijnhof Courtyard, part of the Amsterdam Museum, the area near Centraal Station, and Dam Square. We passed through a lot of other areas too. I think the afternoon of your arrival would be a good time to do a canal cruise, if it isn't raining. I toured the Anne Frank house the afternoon of the second day after our walking tour ended.

If there was a walking tour on embarkation day, I didn't know about it, but I would think it would cover a lot of the same. On embarkation day, there was an all day optional tour (extra cost) but I didn't take it. I saw the Rijksmuseum and the floating flower market instead.

Our walking tour was the day after we arrived in Amsterdam, scheduled from 9:30 to 11:30, although ours went about ten minutes over. We covered a lot of area in that time. I know we saw the Begijnhof Courtyard, part of the Amsterdam Museum, the area near Centraal Station, and Dam Square. We passed through a lot of other areas too. I think the afternoon of your arrival would be a good time to do a canal cruise, if it isn't raining. I toured the Anne Frank house the afternoon of the second day after our walking tour ended.

If there was a walking tour on embarkation day, I didn't know about it, but I would think it would cover a lot of the same. On embarkation day, there was an all day optional tour (extra cost) but I didn't take it. I saw the Rijksmuseum and the floating flower market instead.

This is precisely the tentative schedule of our stay in Amsterdam. Did you do the Rjicksmuseum before the transfer to the boat or after? We do have tickets to the Anne Frank house for the afternoon of the second day. I would hate to miss the Rijksmuseum.

I already had my calendar marked for Anne Frank house tour two months out, but will double check if they will sell further out. Thanks.

They go on sale exactly 2 months to the day. While they do not sell out immediately, some popular times disappear quite quickly.

This is precisely the tentative schedule of our stay in Amsterdam. Did you do the Rjicksmuseum before the transfer to the boat or after? We do have tickets to the Anne Frank house for the afternoon of the second day. I would hate to miss the Rijksmuseum.

I got to the Rijksmuseum shortly before it opened in the morning. The transfer from our hotel to the ship wasn't scheduled until 2:30.

Although tickets for the Anne Frank House go on sale two months before, they don't release all times right away. Since I was looking for an afternoon tour, it took several weeks before a time came up that I could use. Make sure your credit card company knows you'll be in Amsterdam so they don't reject your charge (which happened to me the first time I tried to buy the tickets).

I got to the Rijksmuseum shortly before it opened in the morning. The transfer from our hotel to the ship wasn't scheduled until 2:30.

Although tickets for the Anne Frank House go on sale two months before, they don't release all times right away. Since I was looking for an afternoon tour, it took several weeks before a time came up that I could use. Make sure your credit card company knows you'll be in Amsterdam so they don't reject your charge (which happened to me the first time I tried to buy the tickets).

We already have our tickets to the AF house. Good to know our transfer may be in the afternoon.

Thanks for the info, just what I asked for. I also read your after cruise post which was very helpful.