Best place to get Norwegain Krone for our trip.

I am wondering...... would it be best for me to have my Credit Union in Canada order NOK before I leave for my Norwegian cruise or, use a bank machine somewhere close to the cruise terminal as soon as I get to Norway? We will be travelling from Canada to Amsterdam where we will be embarking on HAL Koningsdam. The first day on the ship is a Sea day and then our first stop in Norway is Stavanger. Should we wait until we get onto Norwegian soil before buying - getting - bank machining out our Kroners?

I would appreciate hearing from those "in the know" about foreign currencies. Thank you in advance.

Lila (getting too excited about this trip for my own good!!!);p

I always get my currency prior to leave from home - in some ports it can be difficult to find an ATM. Alternatively you can purchase your NOK in Amsterdam Airport. For ATM there is an additional transaction fee.

I am not in Canada, but when I went, I order NOK from my bank (Bank of America) which offers this on their website. You can pay for secure mailing to your home, or have it delivered to you local bank for pick up. Easy. I just did this recently for Euros as well.

I would suggest to ask HAL if they have some NOK on board.

I`ve not been on so many cruises so far where i needed foreign currencies,but when foreign currency was needed the cruise line(only AIDA and Costa so far) offered to change EUR(or other currencies) into the local currency.

Of course the available total amount was restricted,but the fees they wanted for the change wehre lower then the fees of the local exchange offices.

Also FYI, Norway is one of the countries with the highest percentages of credit card payments in the world.

I`ve been to Norways 3 times and i can`t remember any place where you couldn`t pay with credit card.

You will have no problem finding an ATM in Stavanger. The port is in the middle of downtown, about a block from the city's primary shopping area.

Also, ditto the above that you should be able to pay for almost anything by card. I just beat my record for the most ridiculous card purchase, paying for a 0.85 NOK (13¢ CAD) purchase with my bank card. Most places prefer card and some have even reduced the number of checkout points that can even accept cash.

ATMs in airports give notoriously bad rates of exchange. I would get a CC with no foreign transaction charges. In both Amsterdam and Norway you will find almost everywhere accepts CC.

We are going on a Norway cruise again soon and are not bothering to get any NOK as it is very unlikely we'll need it.

Thanks all for the helpful information. We'll use the cards too, then. I think I will just get a few NOK from my Credit Union before I leave on our trip - just for small purchases like a chocolate bar or a coffee while in port :D

Hi

you can use your card everywhere in Norway. We seldom use cash anymore. There are a lot of bank machines you can withdraw some NOK, but I don't think you will be needing it.

Welcome to Norway [emoji3][emoji1189]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One thing you will need NOK for in Norway is paid public toilets...found many places such as parks and even some museums. Get some coins for change when you arrive in Norway. Also, I had a few places like street vendors which did not take credit cards, or where my US credit card was not accepted, even though I had a chip and pin card.