Princess E. Caribbean or Holland America?

akcruiser

I have been on 1 cruise (Carnival Celebration) many, many years ago. My husband and I are booking a cruise for August and trying to decide between the Holland American (new Zuiderdam ship) or the Princess Caribbean ship. They are both E. Caribbean cruises. Has anyone been on both Holland and Princess cruises? Can you give me some insight on the differences? In activities, crowd, food, etc?

Thanks!

We took our first cruise on Princess, then went with HAL on the Voldendam, and have cruised with Princess ever since. We're in our early 50's and were definitely in the younger crowd on the Voldendam. It was a very nice cruise but we found it to be too sedate for our taste. Princess seems to have a bit more of a mix in ages with the majority in the 40-60 range while the Voldendam age range was closer to 60-80, I'd guess. It was a two week cruise though and I think that longer cruises usually draw an older group. We're definitely not party animals but the ship seemed nearly deserted by 9:00 pm. The food also seemed geared towards an older crowd with a little less "adventure" and variety than we've had on Princess. The service we experienced was not as good as Princess but that may be due to the fact that our HAL sailing was just 2 months after 9/11 and I think a lot of the staff was new. I know a lot of people swear by HAL and I think it's just a matter of finding the cruise line that suits you best. Hope this helps.

Dawn Princess, Eastern Caribbean 12/1999

Voldendam, So.Caribbean, 1/2002

Star Princess, Mexican Riviera 12/2002

Grand Princess, W. Caribbean 12/2003 Dawn Princess, W. Caribbean Adventurer 12/2004

countdown.php?month=12&year=2004&day=03&hour=17:00

Take a good look at the Zuiderdam itinerary. We just had to decide between the Zuiderdam and the Caribbean Princess for this August and after looking at the very short port schedule for the Zuiderdam, we decided to book the Caribbean Princess.

Also, my friend just returned from the Zuiderdam and she said that the vibration problem they had last year while we were sailing on the Z has never been fixed. They had a table on the first floor of the dining room and she said although the food was great, the vibration about ruined their meals.

Not sure why they have not done something about this yet, as we really liked that ship. But the three hours in some ports was just not enough time to do anything fun at all.

Hope you find the perfect cruise.

Caribbean Princess 8/14/04

Tahitian Princess 10/14/04

RCI-Legend of the Seas 3/27/05 Panama Canal.

Thank you both! My husband and I are in are late 20's and celebrating our 2nd anniversary on the cruise. We are looking for a cruise that offers a wide variety of activities. I did notice the short itineraries on HAL - I have now had a few people recommend to me that we avoid that. I was just worried about the 3 days at sea on Princess. I have heard fabulous reviews of Princess though.

Don't worry about the 3 sea days.....they very well may turn out to be the favourite days of your cruise. I know sea days are always some of my favourites icon_biggrin.gif There is always a schedule filled with events on sea days and there is something just as wonderful about doing nothing more than sitting watching the wake of the ship or the crowd going by.

We have only cruised on HAL one time. It was a 10 night cruise and the passenger mix on board was definitely much older. We felt like the youngsters on board and we were in our 50s. Many of those "older" folks made grand cruise companions though. We loved our cabin on HAL.(standard outside) It was probably the best we have had as far as bathroom, lay out and size. We decided that although our HAL cruise was "nice" we really missed the ambience of Princess and we have returned to sailing with them.

Both lines are very good. If making your decision is difficult let itinerary (length of time in ports especially) and cost be your guide.

Cruising! It's like being in the Garden of Eatin'!

akcruise, based on what you just said, I would definetly recommend Princess. I took a Princess cruise a couple of years ago and a couple of months ago took a HAL cruise. I think Princess would be a better fit. I had a wonderful experience on the HAL ship but I think it would be a little to sedate for you.

Princess Coral

<applet code="countdown.class" codebase="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0"><param name="year" value="2004">

<param name="month" value="12"><param name="day" value="28">

<param name="hour" value="17"></applet>

I will tell you that last year on the Zuiderdam we were actually shocked at the age group we sailed with. The 7 day cruises have a much younger crowd with lots of young families also. It is the 10 plus day cruises and older ships of HAL that seem to have the walker/scooter set on it.

But, Princess newer ships, especially the mega ships have a lot more to offer on sea days then the older ones. I might suggest one of these, I think you will be very pleased with that choice.

Which ever you choose, have a great cruise.

I have a Princess and a HAL cruise this winter so I've been reading both boards.

Based on my impressions I'd recommend Princess right now. HAL ships are in a bit of turmoil due to some new changes affecting tipping and other policies that made their staff unhappy.

Frankly all cruise lines appear to be making similar changes now, some more successfully than others. HAL's changes, and their attitude seem a bit harsher than others though.

BigDave

Enchantment 10/2002, Rhapsody 4/2004.

Caribbean Princess, E Carib. 11/27/2004 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2004;11;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

HAL Oosterdam, E Carib. 1/2/2005 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2005;1;2;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Valor, W. Carib. 2/6/2005, Radiance, E. Carib 2/13/2005 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2005;2;6;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Has anyone been on both Holland and Princess cruises? Can you give me some insight on the differences? In activities, crowd, food, etc? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Agree with all the previous posts. We just returned from a 7 day Alaksa cruise on HAL Amsterdam which we took only because Princess did not have the itinerary we wanted. We had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the cruise.but it was very 'sedate' compared to what we are used to on Princess.

I must say first that things can vary greatly from one ship to the next and one cruise to the next but this is what we found.

Food - did not think it was nearly as good as Princess and their buffet, which was much better in 2001 than Princess, has fallen far behind. They still have some of the "flaming" desserts in th dining room but the desserts on Princess are much better. I wish I could say that there was some food that we found to be better but none to our liking.

Activites - definitely geared toward BINGO. None of the "fun" things Princess does.

Age: many over the age of 70 and very few under the age of 60.

Ship:The vibrations, at times, would visably shake staircase railings. I understand HAL's newer ships have a more "modern" decor but this one felt like being in an "old" hotel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My husband and I are in are late 20's and celebrating our 2nd anniversary on the cruise. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We spent some time talking with a couple in their early 30s who were on their first cruise ever. They enjoyed the trip, loved Alaska, and their suite but felt everything was geared for a much older generation. They had hoped that they would have some near their age but didn't find that. The music was not of their generation and there were no activities geared for that age. As they said "we are not party animals but would have liked to have some life to the cruise".

Future cruises:

9/04 Star Princess-Med.x2 Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome

11/04 Dawn Princess-Southern Caribbean

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess-Mexican Riviera

July 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Aug. 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Past cruises:

04 HAL-Amsterdam-Alaska

04 Dawn Princess- Southern Caribbean x2

03 Grand Princess-W.Caribbean

03 Sun Princess -Mexico

03-Tahitian Princess-Tahiti/ Cook Islands

03 Royal Princess-x2 British Isles & Norwegian Fjords/ Iceland

03 Island Princess-Panama Canal

01 HAL Ryndam x 2-S. America San Diego to Valpariso/ & around Cape Horn to Rio

00 Sky Princess-China/Orient

79 Sitmar's Fairwind- Caribbean/Panama Canal

We have been on both ships on the Eastern itinerary. We were not the least bit thrilled about the layout of the Zuiderdam. We have been on several HAL cruises and this ship just put us off. We can't pinpoint it why, but we just didn't get comfortable on board. We both felt it. It was something in the layout of the ship. HAL is generally older. Princess is generally 20 years younger (from what we have seen). HAL's service was still top notch and over and above Princess on the Zuiiderdam, but... We will cotinue to sail HAL and Princess, but we will not go back to the Zui, but will go back to the CP.

All the best!

Jay & Karen Turner

Mount Hope, Ontario

Westerdam 12/93

Statendam 10/95

Zenith 05/96

Westerdam 05/97

Norway 10/97

Westerdam 10/98

Sun Princess 10/99

Volendam 10/00

Volendam 10/01

Century 10/02

Zuiderdam 05/03

Caribbean Princess 05/04

icon_cool.gif

Hi cruise aficionados....

First time "writing" but lurking for awhile and LOVING every bit of information provided.

Had to jump in with my two cents - Was also considering the same options - eastern carribean on either Zuiderdam or CP

(Background information - I have 4 cruises under my belt, but last one was 14 yrs ago - and this would be first cruise for dh!).

Have done EXTENSIVE RESEARCH on both lines/ships reading every single review, thread, board, post (you get the picture?), trying to find out which "experience" we would prefer.

Started leaning towards HAL (esp when noticing their verandah sale!)....have not booked anything yet - but when speaking to my TA (who is a very good friend of mine)...in her words she said "I will absolutely NOT SEND you or your husband on HAL!".....that is not for you - it is for an "older crowd" (she mentioned her in-laws this point).....your hubby won't ilke it! (we are late 30's/early forties)!

I was pretty shocked - yes my research showed younger clientele on summer/shorter cruises - but she insists this is not for us!

So.....now almost ready to book a cruise on the CP - (I am freaking out with excitement)....currently checking out prices and cabin selection/location, and flights (we're from Canada by the way!), and hoping to fly in a day early cuz I will be too anxious to get there on sailing day.

Looks like we're heading to the CP on August 14th saliing (hi toto - hope to see you there?) with NO KIDS IN TOW! Actually chose the itinerary for those fabulous days at sea!

My only concern is dining options - I really prefer traditional dining, not personal choice, and hoping we can still get late seating and not be wait listed or end up with PC dining (altho this will not ruin our trip)......can't wait to sit out on my balcony and enjoy the ocean air!

Froufie icon_smile.gif

Okay here goes:

Costa, World Renaissance 6/80

Epirotiki Lines, 9/83

Costa Riviera, 1/86

Disney/Big Red Boat, 11/90

HI Froufie, glad you will be sailing with us (as soon as you get this booked that is). Hope to meet up and say hello while onboard. I think you made the right decision on this cruise.

I was just getting the URL for the CC roll call for you believe it or not. Check this thread: http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=4763056957&m=8763099677&r=987109632#987109632

Used to belong to CA but left there long ago, might explain more in person, but won't bore these nice people or you with the real facts. lol. And I am surprised it even showed the link, normally any reference to another cruise board magically disappears. lol

My wife and I are also in our late 20's and debated between the HAL or Caribbean Princess as we hadn't sailed with either. Decided to go with Princess at the suggestion of our travel agent. We had a good time but on several occasions we joked that we were bringing the average age of the crowd down by 20 years. But there are plenty of shore excursions and onboard activities for all ages.

We look forward to our days at sea so (3) was a plus for us, although it is pretty much like having (4) sea days as there isn't much to do at Princess Cays outside of beach activities. We took the St. John island tour by ferry from St. Thomas. I'd recommend it but if we we're doing it again I'd go with the St. John snorkeling tour.

jturner

We are so depressed having our vacation over on the Carbbean Princess we have started to plan a new one. We have been throwing around ideas about a few different cruises and one of them is the Zuiderdam. There are really great prices and I know you like Holland alot so I wanted to get your opinion of your cruise last year. I did see your post about you not liking the ship and wanted to get your thoughts and review of your cruise. Tried to email with the previous email but came back returned. Oh and don't forget GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!

Thanks

California Karen and Rick

We were on the Zuiderdam last year and Golden this year. I found the staff much friendlier on the Princess ship. The food I thought was fairly equal. I thought Z had a more varied buffet and Golden had better dining room meals. I really like the Z. itinerary that includes Tortola. We will definitely sail Princess again, but I'm unsure about Caribbean Princess or Z. My son enjoys some time in the arcade and I was surprised the Caribbean Princess doesn't have one. The dilemmas of choice.

California Karen and Rick:

Hey Guys. See they got T-Buck back this year. That won't hurt at all! Since you guys have not sailed HAL ships, you will probably enjoy the Z. We had a point of comparison and didn't like the "new funky" flavour of the Z. HAL to us has always been subdued and refined. The Z, along with the OO and the Westerdam are a new class (Vista) and they are reaching toward a younger audience (well, younger than 80). We truly love HAL and always feel like we have returned home when we step aboard. Give it a go. Any cruise is better than sitting at home! Go Patriots Go!

All the best!

Jay & Karen Turner

Mount Hope, Ontario

Westerdam 12/93

Statendam 10/95

Zenith 05/96

Westerdam 05/97

Norway 10/97

Westerdam 10/98

Sun Princess 10/99

Volendam 10/00

Volendam 10/01