Regarding the comments on Carnival staff having more work to do, they get more tips?

and like others, I am not sure what the issue is. I don't remove auto tips and leave extra to cover our room(S).

Soooo, when they raise the auto tip amounts (as they will clearly need to do in the near future) you will not have ANY issue with paying more? Somehow I believe there will be a huge uproar, once again.

No issue if they raise the tips at all. What you get is a BARGAIN! Whatever it is $12 or $13 a day pp to cover all my meals, entertainment and room cleaning? We go to a decent dinner for 4 for $100 and drop $25 on a tip - so I am half way there what I would pay on land. The service is always great - if it isn't, I just won't give extra.

On our last cruise the wait staff was litetally running from table to table. Quality of service has definitely declined but it's not their fault. We had anytime dining where many people dont tip, but I always tip the team members after each meal and they were very appreciative.

I guess they deep inside know that it is not exactly very nice thing to do, so they invent all kind of stories... but in the and it is mostly about saving money. :(

My personal opinion is that people don't do it to save money. I can't imagine this concept, after spending hundred or thousands of dollars (including drinks, shore excursions, etc.) that $14 a day would feel like saving money. I personally think they are removed because of a real or perceived (perception being ones reality) lack of service. On the Splendor when the cabin steward told me it was "one or the other", I immediately informed him that if this was the case, then I will be splitting my gratuity each day in half, and he would only be getting "one or the other" half. That is my perceived lack of service, and I never had to remove anything, because he came twice a day.

I know that when I go to a restaurant, my total is going to be 20% higher than the price advertised on the menu. However, I have lowered it because of a lack of service, and will always do so. Tips, like any other income, is earned.. not expected.

Of course they have a choice. They are handed a pen, with a contract, and they sign it for a 6 month contract. No one is forcing them to accept the job. After 6 months, they will be offered another contract. If they sign it, they made the choice.

Next, it's their business, not mine. I could care less how overworked they are, or how many tips they get. My only business is whether I received the service I paid for, and if so, how much extra I decide to tip, or not. They always get the auto tips and "maybe" more.

That's the way the world works. You pay for a service, and the company provides the service. Employees work for the company, and are expected to provide the service the company requires of them. If not, they get fired. I can't even tell you how much the people around me make. I do know I make more money than most of them, but I could care less of what they make.

I just don't understand the fascination of their income. (unless you are thinking of working for Carnival)

Well, I don't think most are fascinated or busy bodies. Some like to talk about how their money is spent. It matters in varying degrees.

But even you are analyzing the service to see if an extra tip is warranted.

Well, I don't think most are fascinated or busy bodies. Some like to talk about how their money is spent. It matters in varying degrees.

But even you are analyzing the service to see if an extra tip is warranted.

But that is how it works in the service industry. You decide based on the customary amount 15% in land restaurant in USA, or fixed daily rate on ship vs., whether you want to give more. Sometimes in other countries, the customary amount for service is nothing or just rounding up to whole dollar (or euro etc.). However I decide, it's not based on how much they make, or how many rooms they clean, or how many tables they have, but rather about my table, and my room only and the job they did taking care of me. They have a job, and it's only their business, not mine.

LOL....I will never understand the busy bodies who think they have to interject themselves into the fine details of cruise line labor like some grand ambassador.

^^THIS^^

I wonder if they do this in every area of their life.

Do they query the grocery store checker to see if he/she feels overburdened by their workload? Is management compensating them for their daily commute to work?

Do they ask their dental hygenist if she feels happy in her job or if she does it because it's the only job she is trained to do? How many family members is she supporting with her job?

I actually get angry when cruise ship employees play the "whoa is me" card. Who in the world goes around telling strangers their troubles - unless it's to manipulate them into a bigger tip, of course.

^^THIS^^

I wonder if they do this in every area of their life.

Do they query the grocery store checker to see if he/she feels overburdened by their workload? Is management compensating them for their daily commute to work?

Do they ask their dental hygenist if she feels happy in her job or if she does it because it's the only job she is trained to do? How many family members is she supporting with her job?

I actually get angry when cruise ship employees play the "whoa is me" card. Who in the world goes around telling strangers their troubles - unless it's to manipulate them into a bigger tip, of course.

In my 35 cruises, I have not had an employee play the "whoa is me" card.

Sent from my iPhone

We were on the Conquest last week and I asked our steward how many rooms he had to clean. He told me 30 (he had the suites) but others had 37. Not once did he complain but told us it was a challenge and he enjoyed it. He didn't ask if we wanted our cabin cleaned in the morning OR at night. He said because we had a suite our cabin would be cleaned twice a day. He also interacted with us every time he saw us. He was wonderful! Actually, 99.9% ( there is always that one. LOL) of the staff were amazing! When we go on vacation I always plan on tipping extra and our room steward qualified for a very large tip at the end of the cruise!

Just to add some info, not for all countries of course... I am from FSU (Ukraine), have friends in many newly formed countries. Coal miners in Ukraine are now making $200-300 a month... if they are paid. Teachers in Moscow (which is coastwise close to NY in many regards) are making $500 a month.. and some of them are cruising.

I understand that crew works hard, but $1500-1700 (without additional cash tips) fall in pretty well paying category for low skilled workers....

I used to sit up on my high horse and state my opinion as fact like many do when it comes to the plight of their fellow man. However, after spending a great deal of time in shoes I never expected to have to wear in my lifetime, I can say many in society are entitled sociopathic in there behavior towards those less fortunate than themselves. I'd like to see some of them try to do these jobs for six months and see how they feel about tipping, work loads and ungrateful, pompous, clientele. [emoji6]

NCL Sunward 1974

NCL Starward 1978

Costa Daphne 1982

Carnival Triumph 2001

Carnival Conquests 2005

Carnival Magic 2014

In my 35 cruises, I have not had an employee play the "whoa is me" card.

Sent from my iPhone

More likely, a well meaning but misguided cruiser is trying to shove a deck of "whoa is you" cards into their reluctant hands.