Recent Cruise Passenger - Please clarify Classic Bev Pkg

Fish Lover

We just got off the Constellation yesterday. Canned sodas were available when we wanted them. I like getting bottled water as we are getting off in each port so that's a benefit with the classic package. Also, I did ask for ice and it was refilled twice a day from day 1.

This can happen in almost any service organization, changes liked and not liked. The question is how it is perceived and accepted 'widely' by long time clients or new clients.

As can be predicted, most often, many changes will not be acceptable to long time clients if perceived not to be beneficial to us/them, while new clients will or can accept the new positioning because they do not have a point of reference for what happened 'before'.

When I first sailed X six (6) years ago, I was told how things were changing and some passengers were not happy about them. Not thinking about the changes my experience was fantastic and we choose to stay with X despite the changes. This does not necessarily mean we like the changes, but understand that there are other areas which appeal to us whereby the changes are not significant.

Were the pricing to exceed our price point, then we will have to take a hard look as to the viability of 'regularly' sailing X. Fortunately, we are not there yet.

I have yet to read where anyone who can advance a similar product at a similar price point (overall) that really makes me want to start looking elsewhere. If that product is presented, viably, then I will take a look, but until then I wish those who are choosing to move on a bon voyage and know they will have a great time regardless of the product chosen.

Truthfully, the COC states they will take me from point A and back to point A and anything in between, at least for me, is icing on the cake. Brochures of 'freebies' based on Class of Service is icing, rather we like it or not. X can give/add or take it away.

Staff Friendly/Helpful - Check

Cabin Clean/Comfortable - Check

Food Prepared - Check

Beverage Package in Place - Check

Decent Weather for Chosen Place of Sailing - Check

OBC in Place - Check

Next Sailing Planned and Purchased On-Board - Check

Having a Thoroughly Good Time - Check

Not Sweating Corporate Decisions - Check

bon voyage

Your point is? I'm not sure.

There is zero reason for canned soda not to be included in the classic beverage package. It doesn't even come close to the minimum cost covered by that plan. Even at a dollar a can (which is retail price) and given 10 cans a day.... Celebrity still makes a huge profit. They include it in the non-alcohol package why would it be eliminated from the classic alcohol package? This is a blatant effort to force people to take the more expensive premium package and really smacks of greed, not just an expensive convenience.

Currently on the Equinox and asked a couple of bar staff about the cans of pop on the classic package and they both said the change is not yet in force but will be soon, cans will only be available on the premium packages, one mentioned maybe for the next cruise...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have just returned from Silhouette transatlantic. We got cans of soda every day from the bar in the Oceanview using our Classic Beverage package. There was no problem whatsoever.

We were on the recent TA on Reflection and had no issues getting canned soda with the Classic package either.

There is zero reason for canned soda not to be included in the classic beverage package. It doesn't even come close to the minimum cost covered by that plan. Even at a dollar a can (which is retail price) and given 10 cans a day.... Celebrity still makes a huge profit. They include it in the non-alcohol package why would it be eliminated from the classic alcohol package? This is a blatant effort to force people to take the more expensive premium package and really smacks of greed, not just an expensive convenience.

My point is, when I believe that the system is not working for me, then I will find one that is.

My point is, if 'cans' of soda are not included in my chosen beverage package, either I want it or I can live without it, irrespective of how much I can purchase it at home or elsewhere around the world.

This issue may warrant a write in campaign to X. Sounds like you can get it started with the number of people who will miss it just here on CC alone..

Correct or not, X believed and had a reason to change the program..

Rally your troops to write in to have X revert back to what you believe is the best way to compose the Classic Beverage package. You are well within your rights to do so and can possibly bring it back. Each of us has our needs when on vacation and this one is not mine.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Wow, 1st world problems, can or no can. :D I say keep doing it Celebrity, if all these pax want to jump ship over a can of Coke (or a changed policy of a CAN of Coke) I say go for it, less pax, lower prices more cruises for me!:cool: #canvsnocan

Hmmmm, is anyone complaining about the change of the classic package to just pay the difference in price of a drink not included instead of paying for the whole cost of the drink? Ya, I didn't think so

Happy Cruising everyone---or not!

Wow, 1st world problems, can or no can. :D I say keep doing it Celebrity, if all these pax want to jump ship over a can of Coke (or a changed policy of a CAN of Coke) I say go for it, less pax, lower prices more cruises for me!:cool: #canvsnocan

Hmmmm, is anyone complaining about the change of the classic package to just pay the difference in price of a drink not included instead of paying for the whole cost of the drink? Ya, I didn't think so

Rated: A++

w5 - there have been a few complaints because a few beloved brands have been moved to Premium Package. Not too many, yet, though.

bon voyage

I'm sorry, were you coming here and expecting a discussion on solving world peace? Of course this isn't a 1st world problem (whatever that means). It also isn't a cost issue. In fact the policy makes zero common sense from the cost perspective. It's a convenience issue. The whole selling point behind beverage packages is convenience. I don't think anyone will argue that Celebrity loses money on any of the beverage packages.

So, if this isn't an important enough discussion for you, I suggest you go solve world hunger elsewhere.

You've got to kidding me! I'm guessing 95% of the people who upgrade to the premium package are or will be because the the ALCOHOL in the premium package, not because of the vehicle the soda is served in. And yes, fountain soda is way less per ounce than a can soda.

I hear NCL has a nice Drink package, maybe they have cans but you will have to pay the gratuity. It's a lose lose:(

I found this quote from on these boards from one of our members, makes great sense to me

"Some posters here have this paranoia that the big bad company is out to screw them any way they can, so everyone needs to beware. Utter nonsense. Rather, good business sense." Smart poster :)

QUOTEmultiquote_off.gif

Edited by whitshel
add quote

I'm sorry, were you coming here and expecting a discussion on solving world peace? Of course this isn't a 1st world problem (whatever that means). It also isn't a cost issue. In fact the policy makes zero common sense from the cost perspective. It's a convenience issue. The whole selling point behind beverage packages is convenience. I don't think anyone will argue that Celebrity loses money on any of the beverage packages.

So, if this isn't an important enough discussion for you, I suggest you go solve world hunger elsewhere.

Who is arguing that they lose money on these packages? Obviously they are not or they would not offer them. I'm assuming since you keep saying to "upgrade to the premium"you are getting this as a perk? No one is making you choose this perk. Don't choose it, choose the tips or the obc then you don't have to worry about upgrading. You can just buy cans of soda for $3 each as you see fit. And maybe the cans are in the premium package and not the classic so the premium package is perceived as premium, hmmm, there's a thought.

Well happy cruising:)

Hi,

This is what Celebrity's UK site states:

"Non-Alcoholic Classic Drinks Package: All Fountain and Canned Soda, Bottled Juices such as cranberry, tomato, pineapple and apple, Fresh Squeezed Juices, Premium Coffees and Teas, and Bottled Water.

$18.00 per person, per day*

Classic Drinks Package: Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic soft drinks package, as well as beer, spirits, cocktails and wines by the glass up to $9 per serving. Plus, with the purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

$55.00 per person, per day*"

However, this is the link to the list that shows it is not included in classic -

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/media/celebrity/shared_assets/pdf/Classic-Premium-Bev-Pckgs.pdf

Jim

Interesting.i thought the original plan was to have the fountain drinks in the standard package and the canned soda and vitamin water in the classic package / that would make more sense for the additional $10 per day.

You've got to kidding me! I'm guessing 95% of the people who upgrade to the premium package are or will be because the the ALCOHOL in the premium package, not because of the vehicle the soda is served in. And yes, fountain soda is way less per ounce than a can soda.

I hear NCL has a nice Drink package, maybe they have cans but you will have to pay the gratuity. It's a lose lose:(

I found this quote from on these boards from one of our members, makes great sense to me

"Some posters here have this paranoia that the big bad company is out to screw them any way they can, so everyone needs to beware. Utter nonsense. Rather, good business sense." Smart poster :)

QUOTEmultiquote_off.gif

Which is why I cannot fathom the reason behind this change. I'm reasonably intelligent and knowledgeable and it simply doesn't make sense. The packages have all made sense from a dollar perspective prior to this. The added bonus that you could pay the difference on the Classic package also made sense when they moved some alcohol or mixed drink items from Classic to Premium. The whole canned soda thing does not make sense. A canned soda would never be over the dollar limit on the Classic package.

Being paranoid about every little change or refusing to accept inevitable change is one thing, however its another when there is no reasonable explanation at all. Unless someone can point one out that I may be missing?

Which is why I cannot fathom the reason behind this change. I'm reasonably intelligent and knowledgeable and it simply doesn't make sense. The packages have all made sense from a dollar perspective prior to this. The added bonus that you could pay the difference on the Classic package also made sense when they moved some alcohol or mixed drink items from Classic to Premium. The whole canned soda thing does not make sense. A canned soda would never be over the dollar limit on the Classic package.

Being paranoid about every little change or refusing to accept inevitable change is one thing, however its another when there is no reasonable explanation at all. Unless someone can point one out that I may be missing?

Like I said my guess is that the premium package has to have incentive to book it. Cans of soda may be that lil incentive to help call it premium.

Like I said my guess is that the premium package has to have incentive to book it. Cans of soda may be that lil incentive to help call it premium.

I doubt that, but one never knows what exactly lurks in the minds of passengers and management!

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

It would make sense for the cost of the package to have the fountain sodas as part of the Standard Package and canned soda as part of the Classic Package.

Some of us thought that Celebrity was going to change the included package to the Standard but instead they are taking drinks away from the Classic Package, and still increasing the cruise prices.

Here's the response to a tweet I posted about the cost cutting and dropping soda cans from the Classic Package at the weekend.

Here was my tweet and then their response:

5fc1036322a1fec920cb8f8ba72360bc.jpg

36f9de3ff30cd5ae06025c3e85296211.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's worrying to think that the cost to Celebrity of say a margarita is less than a can of soda, such that they exclude the 'incredibly expensive soda cans' but include liquor in the Classic Package.

If customers accept this change I can guarantee that water, juices and coffees at al Bacio will be next to be dropped from the Classic Package.

Celebrity are going down the Royal route where their ultimate package was replaced by their Deluxe package that covered virtually everything. Now the menus on Royal have cocktails on each bar menu above the Deluxe price point thereby requiring an extra payment, including drinks previously covered.

If you allow them to creep away from their original offerings then they have a green light to go even further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
After reading all these posts, what if you don't drink soda and only want one or two drinks per day, is it still better to buy a package than to purchase outright?

For just a couple drinks a day, it doesn't make money sense to buy a package. But don't forget to add in water and special coffees in your total if that is of interest.

Without the included drink package, we pay as we go. We don't have the need to drink more than a drink or two ( if even that) at the pool on sea days. We often will have drinks at ports during lunch or as we explore. Dinner time onboard might include a couple glasses of wine. Add it all up, and we aren't drinking enough to make the package a value.

And no, we don't keep count for budgetary reasons. :confused: We, unlike some people, really don't change our drinking habits because we are on vacation. I know others like to try new drinks and imbibe perhaps more than at home because they have the package.