Does HA do better on Biz-class airfare?

Slarty

A bit of work will be needed on your part to get to a firm yes or no.

Find the airline and your preferred schedule. Get price from airline or whomever you utilise for ticketing. Contact HAL (unless your using a travel agent then they will have to contact HAL on your behalf) and see if they can provide same airline/schedule and what price. If they have different airlines then you can request the various schedules/pricing and compare.

We have use HAL's service twice but booked ourselves over 5 times. Depends on where,when and how!

Intercontinental flights can often be much more affordable when booked through the cruise line. The one time I did this I was given multiple choices of flight times, days, and connecting flights. Definitely check out the cost.

On one way flights, if HAL has a contract with my desired airline/itinerary/date of travel, yes, their price beats anything that I have been able to find on my own.

In my opinion, one ought to decide on what airline/itinerary/date of travel first. Do the online research needed. Then, have your travel agent or you contact HAL and see what they can offer. If you have a travel agent which is part of a consortium, that organization may offer Business Class airfare for the flight that you want that may be more inexpensive than what you found or is less than what HAL can quote.

My travel agent also booked my flights, Business Class, through HAL and got an Excellent price.

Were you able to get assigned seats when booked?

Also, can you use FF miles to buy an upgrade from Economy?

We asked our TA to check one-way premium economy and business class to Venice from Florida. Hal came back with prices on British Airways that were 1/2 the cost of anything I could find. Plus, with BA, I received a record locator and I could reserve my seats 6 months in advance.

We book our own. Found that for the price we were quoted for coach we could get 1st class on the same flight. We saved on baggage fees and in air food. Hey 1st class is great!

Most times when we need air travel for a cruise, it's always one-way. We have tried to get quotes ourselves on one-way, but the prices are outrageous. One way, coach from TPA to VCE ranged from $1100 to $1600. A round trip between the 2 cities was $795. Many people will book a round trip and throw away the return ticket, because they are saving a ton of money. Some airlines will strip your miles if you walk away from a return. But FF miles are mostly useless these days unless you are a million-miler. We have always found that the cruise line can get a cheaper ticket if you are only travelling one-way, internationally. Domestic round trips to Ft. Lauderdale and other US cruise ports are probably cheaper booked on your own.

But however you book, NEVER book a flight to arrive the same day your cruise is scheduled to depart. With overbooking, cancellations, and ATC delays, you always need an extra day pad just in case Murphy's law kicks in. And if you do book your flight yourself, and you miss the ship, you are SOL, they won't wait for you. Try to get a one-way flight from FLL to St. Thomas. You will pay far more than the cost of 1 night in a hotel.

How for out will HAL book flights? We just booked November HAL cruise to South Pacific and TA said they don't have flight info yet. Anyone have this happen.

November 2017 or 2018? Airlines usually start booking 330 days out.

It's hit or miss. My experience with HAL was that I found better pricing than they did. Try using Google Flights for an overview and go from there. Not all airlines come up so if you are aware of regional airlines which don't show up then you will need to search those separately. I also take a look at which airlines operate out of the airport I wish to fly from and check their prices too. Good luck.