Keeping Passports safe while on a excursion?

Badfinger

A Western passport can be worth £10,000 to some of the talented passport gangs, and it can cause problems for a long time to come to yourself.

I worked with a fellow employee who traveled quite often on company business. On one trip to Spain she had her passport stolen out of her shoulder bag. It was subsequently sold on the black market and used in a crime. When I left the company six years later, she was still dealing with the hassles that lost passport created for her. I would not wish her passport problems on anyone.

I make a color copy, and then laminate it to an index card that has my medical conditions/ medications, and the names/phone numbers of my travel companions and emergency contact at home.

If I were unable to speak for myself (injured, sick, language barrier) I hope that it could be used to reunite my group or get me necessary care.

It's laminated, and then in a zip-top bag in a nylon pouch/pocket that hangs inside my pants. The pouch has a loop that goes around your belt, so that it drops right behind your pants pocket, making it very comfortable, invisible, and easy to reach.

We just hate, hate, hate the elastic belt or necklace ones -- they're uncomfortable and obvious, making us think they advertise where our valuables are.

I make a couple of copies of my passport before traveling and put a copy in each piece of luggage. As soon as I enter my room on the ship, my passport goes into the safe. I know it won't get lost, stolen, or damaged when it's in the safe. I don't need it to get back on the ship from the ports, so there's no reason for me to take it.

I make a color copy, and then laminate it to an index card that has my medical conditions/ medications, and the names/phone numbers of my travel companions and emergency contact at home.

If I were unable to speak for myself (injured, sick, language barrier) I hope that it could be used to reunite my group or get me necessary care.

It's laminated, and then in a zip-top bag in a nylon pouch/pocket that hangs inside my pants. The pouch has a loop that goes around your belt, so that it drops right behind your pants pocket, making it very comfortable, invisible, and easy to reach.

We just hate, hate, hate the elastic belt or necklace ones -- they're uncomfortable and obvious, making us think they advertise where our valuables are.

If you have an iPhone, it's a lot easier:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2489237,00.asp%3Famp%3D1

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think this is really good advice. It's very easy to set up, too.

Android devices have the same option. I have my home phone number on my lock screen (no address, however) to contact me in case I lose my phone and someone finds it. But, as in all such things, such contact info is only useful to you if you don't lose your phone. During recent robberies in the Caribbean thieves have taken passports, wallets, jewelry, money AND cell phones.

I send an email to myself with pertinent information I may need in an emergency, including passport numbers and insurance contacts. If I need that information, I only need to find somewhere that I can connect to the internet and pull up my email. Someone with a smartphone, a desktop at an internet cafe or at the police station, etc. would do the job.

We have kept our Passports safe for over forty years of extensive travel (on sea and land) by simply keeping them in a safe (whenever possible) whether on a ship or in a hotel. Since the OP seems to have already made a decision to carry Passports...he/she must simply live with that decision and assume the risk that they get lost or stolen. This is not a "snarky" response nor even judgmental. Just the facts.

Hank